Dinosaur Reign: The Story of the Toronto Raptors Dynasty

Unless the Lakers get a 3 point shooter I'm positive the Raptors will hit 6 like Jordan and possibly pass him. We're talking Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Steve Nash and Ben Wallace! This is bigger then the Miami Heat everyone thought was going to win 7 championships. Also @marcothesportsfan do people think Ben Wallace is that good or do they think it's the system the Raptors are running that let's him put up big numbers?

The Lakers have Shaq, AI, Jalen Rose, Robert Horry, & Mark Jackson... if they can stay healthy, they'll be fine.

As for Ben Wallace, he's actually the perfect fit on TTL's Raptors. He doesn't score much, but he rebounds & blocks shots as well as anybody, leaving room for Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, & Kevin Garnett to get their numbers up. He's like Bill Russell on the Boston Celtics. People do say Garnett takes some of the attention & pressure off Wallace, but TTL, Wallace is seen as being as good as he was seen as IOTL. The only difference is, while IOTL, he was seen as the "leader" and "heart and soul" of the Pistons, TTL, he's just the Raptors' "glue guy."

2002 NBA Offseason
As the Raptors headed into the 2002 offseason, they faced a dilemma. Theo Ratliff, the defensive anchor of the early 2000’s Raptors, had suffered a season-ending injury during the 2001 preseason, and in his absence, Ben Wallace emerged as a better (and cheaper) replacement for Ratliff, winning Defensive Player of the Year, and the rebounding and blocking titles. To everyone’s surprise, Ratliff had recovered from his hip injury, and would be ready to go in time for the start of the 2003 season. He would have to play summer league games to get back in it, but the thing is, the Raptors really didn’t need Theo Ratliff anymore. As a result of his “injury-prone” and his $10 million salary, Ratliff was considered “untradeable,” and a “huge risk.”

Well, apparently, someone forgot to tell the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- From the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary “We the North”

I was calling everybody in the league, trying to trade Theo. There were no takers.

Brendan told me, “Someone will be crazy enough to gamble on Theo. $10 million salary, expiring in 3 years, should be in his physical prime…”

I replied, “Nah, I wouldn’t take that gamble.” We were watching the highlight tape of this high school senior from Ohio. He was the best high school player I had ever seen, and pretty much everybody knew he was going to declare for the 2003 draft, and be the #1 pick.

Brendan whispered to me, “Holy crap, if we can get LeBron… we’re winning championships for the next 15 years.”

I told him, “Yeah, but that’s why nobody wants to trade their first-round picks next year with us. Not even for Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett.”

Brendan then told me, “What if the Cavaliers get him? Borderline playoff team tanks this season to draft a hometown hero… it could happen.”

I replied, “Sure, Cleveland just traded Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and Terrell Brandon just retired, so they’re gonna have a bad year. But they’re not that bad. And besides, that city already has the Browns with Ricky Williams and “The Flats”… what do they need LeBron for?”

It was then when I heard the phone ring. It was Cavaliers GM Jim Paxson. When he introduced himself, I laughed and asked Brendan, “What do you know?”

He then told me, “Let’s cut to the chase: we need a point guard and a center, you need to get rid of Theo, and you need a backup small forward. Because Gerald Wallace just isn’t cutting it. And between you and me… we’re kind of looking to tank this season.”

I replied, “Yeah, I know. This draft class is crazy… LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony… I can see why you’re trying to tank.”

Jim then replied, “I think I can help you out. Tim Thomas’ agent just called me, and his client is pissed off at the moves we’ve made, and wants out of Cleveland immediately. He said he ‘wants to go to a winner.’”

I laughed and told him, “Yeah, anybody would want to go to a team that has just won its 4th straight title.”

Jim laughed, then replied, “I think I can help you out. How about you give us Theo Ratliff and Speedy Claxton, and we give you Tim Thomas.”

I laughed and told him, “OK, good.”

Jim thanked me, and then hung up. I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Brendan asked me, “What were you guys talking about?”

I told him in amazement, “The Cavaliers… they just agreed to take Theo Ratliff and Speedy Claxton… and gave us back Tim Thomas.”

Brendan laughed and said, “Good work, Isiah. But what do we do about the third center spot? Todd MacCulloch just signed with the Nets.”

I replied, “Leave it. I think Ben Wallace, Brad Miller, & Jermaine O’Neal will be more than enough of a rotation at that spot.”

Brendan then told me, “You know Tim’s contract goes through 2006. This means we’re probably gonna have to choose between Kevin and Kobe in summer 2005 if we don’t want to pay the luxury tax. As it is, we’re already paying the luxury tax for each of the next 3 years.”

I replied, “Hey, it’s what we have to do if we’re gonna be unstoppable in 2003. And besides, with that new expansion team from Memphis coming in a couple of years, we can’t really focus on the future; we have to win now, while we can.”
- Excerpt from Isiah Thomas’ 2014 book, Northern Dynasty: How Two “Bad Boys” Created Canada’s Darling Team

During the 2002 NBA offseason, the Raptors would say goodbye to two mainstays of the team that had been there since the beginning: shooting guard Fred Hoiberg, best-known for taking over Game 5 of the 2000 NBA Finals and essentially saving the Raptors’ “greatest season ever,” and long-time starting center Theo Ratliff, whose shot-blocking helped make the Raptors what one sportswriter called “Showtime with Bill Russell manning the middle”. Replacing them were Tim Thomas, who could play either shooting guard, small forward, or power forward off the bench, and a little-known shooting guard named Raja Bell. The Raptors would also find themselves paying the luxury tax for the first time in team history, and the loss of Todd MacCulloch in free agency began the Raptors’ reputation as a team that “bleeds out free agents”. In addition, it also began to seem like the Raptors had become more focused on “protecting their sunk costs” rather than finding new talent for the team: Gilbert Arenas seemed to win the starting point guard job from Steve Nash in the preseason, and then found himself promptly traded to the Washington Wizards for a 36-year-old, oft-injured Rod Strickland to appease Nash. And there were also questions as to whether Kevin Garnett or Kobe Bryant was the face of the Toronto Raptors, which both players started to take offense to. As the new-look Raptors headed into the 2002-03 season, they looked as unstoppable… and unstable… as ever.

2002-2003 Toronto Raptors Starting Lineup:
PG Steve Nash
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Michael Finley
PF Kevin Garnett
C Ben Wallace

2002-2003 Toronto Raptors Bench:
PG Brevin Knight
PG Rod Strickland
SG Raja Bell
SG Michael Redd
SF Tim Thomas
SF Gerald Wallace
PF Jermaine O’Neal
C Brad Miller
C Mehmet Okur (Rookie)

Offseason Additions:
PG Rod Strickland (Traded from Washington)
SG Raja Bell (Traded from Milwaukee)
SF Tim Thomas (Traded from Cleveland)

Offseason Losses:
PG Gilbert Arenas (Traded to Washington)
PG Speedy Claxton (Traded to Cleveland)
SG Fred Hoiberg (Traded to Milwaukee)
SF Stephen Jackson (Free Agency, New Jersey)
C Todd MacCulloch (Free Agency, New Jersey)
C Theo Ratliff (Traded to Cleveland)

How long before the Isiah Thomas-Red Auberbach comparisons begin ITTL?

If anything, Brendan Malone (who remains the Raptors' head coach TTL) gets the Red Auerbach comparisons; Isiah Thomas is seen more like Jerry Krause (the Bulls' general manager when they had Michael Jordan).

I'm very happy with Memphis getting an expansion, as well as the fact that Toronto is starting to look to be unstable. Kevin or Kobe will be out in not long. I imagine they have something like a Shaq-Penny relationship mixed with a Shaq-Kobe relationship, where they started well when they were winning but people are going to try and ask whose team it is. In the end, one will be traded or will leave in free-agency.

Yeah, and if Kobe gets into...trouble like he did OTL, regardless of whether he was guilty or innocent, the Raptors might cut him loose or trade him...

2002-03 NBA Season, Part 1: The Calm Before the Storm
After a ho-hum, 4-2 start to the season, the Raptors would go on to 2 separate winning streaks of 20 games or more. During the first half of the season, they looked absolutely unstoppable, winning seemingly every game by at least 20 points, and terrorizing the rest of the league with a combination of talent and teamwork. Many of the new pieces seemed to blend in with the Raptors’ system perfectly, and Kobe Bryant appeared to be regaining his 2000-01 form as one of the top 5 most dominant players in the league. The Raptors were so dominant that in a late 2002 interview, Bill Russell, a memof the Celtics of the 60’s that won eight straight championships, called them the “greatest team of all time.” They seemed to be cruising on their way to a fifth straight championship with absolutely no team able to stop them. They came into All-Star Break an astounding 45-3, on a 20-game winning streak. Fans wondered whether the 2003 Raptors could break the wins record set by the 1999 Raptors. All five of the Raptors’ starters made the All-Star Game: this was only the second time in NBA history that this happened, with the first time being with the 2000 Raptors. For the time being, all was well in Raptors Nation, and Raptors Nation was certainly enjoying the ride.

2003 NBA All-Star Game Rosters:
East:
Starters:
PG Kobe Bryant (Toronto Raptors)
SG Tracy McGrady (Orlando Magic)
SF Michael Jordan (Charlotte Hornets)
PF Kevin Garnett (Toronto Raptors) (All-Star Game MVP)
C Ben Wallace (Toronto Raptors)

Bench:
PG Jason Kidd (Orlando Magic)
PG Stephon Marbury (New York Knicks)
PG Steve Nash (Toronto Raptors)
SG Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics)
SF Michael Finley (Toronto Raptors)
SF Keith Van Horn (Philadelphia 76ers)
PF Pau Gasol (Miami Heat)
PF Antoine Walker (Boston Celtics)
C Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Philadelphia 76ers)
C Rasho Nesterovic (New York Knicks)

West:
Starters:
PG Steve Francis (Los Angeles Clippers)
SG Allen Iverson (Los Angeles Lakers)
SF Vince Carter (Denver Nuggets)
PF Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas Mavericks)
C Yao Ming (Minnesota Timberwolves)

Bench:
PG Sam Cassell (Phoenix Suns)
PG Gary Payton (Seattle Supersonics)
SG Ray Allen (Vancouver Grizzlies)
SF Shawn Marion (Vancouver Grizzlies)
SF Jamal Mashburn (Dallas Mavericks)
SF Peja Stojakovic (Sacramento Kings)
PF Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs)
PF Chris Webber (Sacramento Kings)
C Vlade Divac (Sacramento Kings)
C Shaquille O’Neal (Los Angeles Lakers)

Despite many trade rumours, the Raptors managed to hold on to Jermaine O’Neal through the February 20 trade deadline, ensuring that he would be kept through the end of the Raptors’ 2003 playoff run. But by that weekend, that would be the least of the Raptors’ worries.

Last edited:
This sounds ominous, and it will probably involve Kobe Bryant, you mark my words; since Kobe is one of the faces of the Raptors dynasty (which has four-peated), any subsequent legal problems are going to be under a bigger microscope than OTL...

2002-03 NBA Season, Part 2: The Crash
THE SIMPSONS, Season 14, Episode 12: “I’m Spelling as Fast as I Can”
Aired February 23, 2003

Inside SPELLYMPIC STADIUM in SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, where the SPELLYMPICS FINALS are taking place. Host GEORGE PLIMPTON is on the stage, and LISA SIMPSON is on the podium, getting ready to spell her word, with a full crowd watching. GEORGE PLIMPTON is ready to announce LISA SIMPSON’s word.

GEORGE PLIMPTON: The word is… intransigence.

LISA SIMPSON: Intransigence… I…

HOMER SIMPSON: Am right here!

LISA SIMPSON: Dad… you do care!

HOMER SIMPSON: Damn right! You’re #1 on my menu! Now supercharge it!

LISA SIMPSON: With you here, I can’t fail! (now determined) Attention everyone, I was asked to take a dive, but I won’t do it! I-

(screen cuts to black for a few seconds. The Simpsons is interrupted by a Global TV Breaking News bulletin.)

ANNOUNCER: We interrupt this program to bring you a breaking news bulletin!

(Leslie Roberts, Global TV anchor, appears on the screen.)

LESLIE ROBERTS: Good afternoon, Canada. We have just received word that Air China Flight 503 and a Royal Canadian Air Force plane have been reported missing after losing contact with air traffic control around 20 minutes ago. Their last known location was over the Pacific Ocean, a little under 2,000 kilometres north of Hawaii. In a very shocking twist to this story, Major Russell Williams has been reported missing after several calls to his RCAF plane went unanswered. At this point, all assumptions are on the table.
- From a Global TV broadcast at 2:24 PM on February 23, 2003

I was travelling with the team because I was gonna play in the Bulls game that Wednesday. I remember, I was getting iced down, and then, the news came on.

(pauses, then shakes his head) Damn.
- Michael Finley, from the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary “We the North”

LESLIE ROBERTS: We have received more information on the Air China Flight 503 crash… based on transmissions received from the cockpit voice and flight data recorder by air traffic control, apparently, Air China Flight 503 crashed into a Royal Canadian Air Force plane over the Pacific Ocean. It has also been confirmed that Major Russell Williams was on the Royal Canadian Air Force plane that crashed into Air China Flight 503, and he has been reported “lost at sea.” As for Air China Flight 503, the death toll is presumed to be in the hundreds.
- From a Global TV broadcast at 3:05 PM on February 23, 2003

On February 23, 2003, Air China Flight 503, a Boeing 747, crashed into an EADS Eagle 1 aircraft of the Royal Canadian Air Force over the North Pacific Ocean, killing all 416 people on board Air China Flight 503, and all 6 people on board the EADS Eagle 1 of the Royal Canadian Air Force. The crash site was reported to be just under 2,000 kilometres north of Honolulu, Hawaii. Among those killed on the EADS Eagle 1 were a Canadian military officer, Russell Williams, and five security officers hired by the Canadian military. The group was arriving from Ottawa to pick up new Chinese Communist Party Secretary Hu Jintao and transport him to Canada, where he would have his first international diplomatic visit as Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party and meet with Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien for the first time.
- From the Wikipedia article, “2003 Air China Flight 503-RCAF EADS Eagle 1 crash”

Obviously, this is a very, very sad day for our country, for the whole world… our thoughts and prayers go out to all the lives lost in the crash, and all those still missing. This is especially sad for me, having been raised in Canada, having my entire basketball career here… this is just sad and shocking. I’m still in disbelief.
- Steve Nash, from a February 24, 2003 press conference on the plane crash in Chicago, Illinois

We were not sure whether or not to play the game that Wednesday against the Bulls. When we heard of the crash, the Monday practice was cancelled. We held a team meeting the day before the game, deciding whether or not we were gonna play. Then, Kobe spoke up, he said, “We have to play this game, man. It’s what Russell would have wanted.” We came into that game with a lot of emotion, a lot of energy. It just felt right.
- Steve Nash, from the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary “We the North”

RAPTORS VS. BULLS: PRE-GAME CEREMONIES
February 26, 2003
United Center, Chicago, Illinois

(Raptors players and Bulls players kneel together at center)

TOMMY EDWARDS (Chicago Bulls PA announcer): Ladies and gentlemen… before the singing of the Canadian and American national anthems… a moment of silence for the lives lost in the plane crash over the Pacific Ocean earlier this week.

(moment of silence)

TOMMY EDWARDS: Thank you. (loud cheering and a standing ovation from fans at United Center) And now, to sing the Canadian National Anthem and the Star-Spangled Banner, here’s Jennifer Hudson.

Jennifer Hudson sang “O Canada” on point that first game back man… on point. Just made that comeback game that much sweeter.
- Kevin Garnett, from the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary “We the North”

Unforgettable: Raptors beat Bulls, commemorate plane crash victims
Toronto Star
February 27, 2003

(CHICAGO) – Over the last few days, the world has reacted with shock, sorrow, and grief to Sunday’s plane crash. The sports world, as distracting as it may be from these events, has expressed many of the same emotions: their expressions of grief ranged from the typical moment of silence and standing ovation for the Canadian national anthem to a nationally televised, grand memorial ceremony at the Grizzlies’ home game against the Utah Jazz on Monday. And last night, it was the Raptors’ turn to express their grief, even if they had to do so on foreign soil.

First, a moment of silence was observed before local singer Jennifer Hudson sang “O Canada” to a standing ovation at the United Center. The standing ovation then resumed through the Raptors’ player introductions, an event that would normally be booed by Bulls fans due to the intense rivalry between the two teams in the late 90’s. And then, it was time to play the game. The result was a 104-92 victory over the Bulls, led by Kevin Garnett’s 28 points, 12 rebounds, and 3 steals.

Garnett said after the game that the win was “a win for all of Canada, and that I’m just happy to be able to play the game I love every day.” He also sent his condolences to the victims of the crash, specifically mentioning “Major Russell Williams… we dedicated this game to him, man. We’re dedicating the rest of this season to him. We win #5, it’s for him, you know,” after learning Williams was a Raptors fan.

Meanwhile, Steve Nash, the Raptors’ Canadian-raised star point guard, didn’t come out that strong, finishing the game with only 12 points and 5 assists on 29 minutes after fouling out of the game. Nash admitted that “it was really hard to focus with everything going on, talking to my wife, my parents, other Canadians I know,” but said that “the best way to honour Russell (Williams)’ memory is to keep playing our hearts out every night.” Nash also said that he “watched the Vancouver ceremony, and was moved by it.”

Nash also led the Raptors to wear black versions of their gear, including headbands, wristbands, shooting sleeves, armbands, kneebands, socks, and shoes, as a symbol of mourning; according to Raptors owner John Bitove, this will continue for the rest of the season. Bitove also said that the Raptors would wear yellow ribbons on their jerseys and shorts for the rest of the season to commemorate the lives lost, a move that echoes what the Vancouver Grizzlies are doing, after the NBA approved of both the Raptors and Grizzlies doing so. Bitove said that wearing the ribbons and black gear “was only right to commemorate the memory of the victims, several of whom were members of the Canadian Armed Forces.”

Meanwhile, the Chicago Bulls, who lost the game, participated in the pre-game ceremonies out of respect. Jason Richardson, who scored a team-high 17 points, including a breakaway 360 dunk in the first quarter, sent his condolences to the victims of the plane crash and their families, adding that “it’s sad… truly sad what happened over the ocean… just knowing that anything can happen when you fly on a plane.” It’s natural that Richardson would be thinking about that, as the Bulls will be leaving Chicago after their Friday night game against the Hawks for their Saturday night game in Washington against the Wizards; even though the loss drops them to 16-43, Richardson said that there were “other things on everyone’s mind that night.”

As for the Raptors, the win pushes them to 51-3, by far, the best record in the NBA. With the win, they have clinched a berth in the NBA Playoffs for the 7th consecutive year (the Cleveland Cavaliers, who are in 8th place in the Eastern Conference, can finish with a 50-32 record if they win the rest of their games; the Raptors will still have more wins even if they lose all of their remaining games). The Raptors will be flying to Boston for a prime-time Friday night showdown against the Celtics, where they will hope to win their 27th game in a row, while also hoping to get there and back safely.

Well, Russell Williams is going to be remembered for something else ITTL; IOTL, he kept his double life so secret even his fellow officers didn't know about it, IIRC, and the RCAF purged all mention of him after it came out (and deservedly so)...

BTW, how many Canadian citizens were aboard Flight 416?

Well, Russell Williams is going to be remembered for something else ITTL; IOTL, he kept his double life so secret even his fellow officers didn't know about it, IIRC, and the RCAF purged all mention of him after it came out (and deservedly so)...

BTW, how many Canadian citizens were aboard Flight 416?

There were a few Canadian citizens aboard Flight 503 (that was my TL's flight number). One of them was the woman who brought SARS to Toronto.

Yes, the SARS epidemic is butterflied from Toronto, & it becomes more of a U.S. thing along the lines of OTL's swine flu panic in 2009.

For a moment i think a Raptor might have die them google that colonel... woah... well.. still what a bait and switch.

At first I thought that Major Williams was a basketball player...

Nice update. Kind of goes hand in hand with those other sports TL's that kill of some of the worst criminals of their time.

Yeah, nobody is going to be mourning dear old Mr. Williams IOTL; when the RCAF found out that there had been a booklet with a photo of him in it (in the background), they got all the copies back and destroyed them--all 4,000 of them...

I also notice that you got rid of Jian Ghomeshi; while he isn't in the same category as Mr. Williams, he's still an asshole, so no big loss there...

If I ever do a sports TL, I'm going to do the same thing.

I'm watching the AI 30 for 30, and my god how would Iverson in LA go. He'd be one of the most famous people in the country I bet, with a reputation probably somewhere between his OTL one and OTL Kobe's.

But, if he's there I don't think Phil Jackson can be.

I'm watching the AI 30 for 30, and my god how would Iverson in LA go. He'd be one of the most famous people in the country I bet, with a reputation probably somewhere between his OTL one and OTL Kobe's.

But, if he's there I don't think Phil Jackson can be.

That's actually part of the reason why the Lakers haven't made the NBA Finals yet TTL; we know how David Stern favours some teams (including the Lakers) & with Iverson being the league's ''villain'' at the time, I would say Stern's treatment of TTL's Lakers would be about even with everybody else in the league.

And if you don't think Phil Jackson can coach TTL's Lakers, remember: Iverson took some time to adjust to Larry Brown on the Sixers, & Kobe always fought Phil's triangle IOTL.

But yeah, Iverson on the Lakers... he's the NBA's most popular player at the moment TTL.

That's actually part of the reason why the Lakers haven't made the NBA Finals yet TTL; we know how David Stern favours some teams (including the Lakers) & with Iverson being the league's ''villain'' at the time, I would say Stern's treatment of TTL's Lakers would be about even with everybody else in the league.

And if you don't think Phil Jackson can coach TTL's Lakers, remember: Iverson took some time to adjust to Larry Brown on the Sixers, & Kobe always fought Phil's triangle IOTL.

But yeah, Iverson on the Lakers... he's the NBA's most popular player at the moment TTL.

To say nothing of being paired with Shaq - I got to interview Iverson a few years back, and even he said one of the things we wish he'd have had was a big man like Shaq or David Robinson, the way Kobe or Tim Duncan did.

Shaq and Iverson might well be the new Magic and Kareem the way Shaq and Kobe never managed to be. Here's hoping they actually manage a ring or two here ;)