Dinosaur Reign: The Story of the Toronto Raptors Dynasty

Introduction
The history of the NBA has been defined by dynasties. The formula for creating a dynasty in the NBA is simple: draft a couple of MVP candidates, and then find solid role players that complement them. The Minneapolis Lakers first did this in the early 1950's, around George Mikan and Slater Martin, leading to a 3-peat and 5 championships in 6 years. In the 1950's & 1960's, the Boston Celtics did it, winning 11 championships in 13 years around legends like Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, and John Havlicek. The "Showtime Lakers" of the 80's, led by Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and James Worthy, won 5 championships and gave basketball a sense of entertainment. In the 1990's, the Chicago Bulls, led by Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and eventually Dennis Rodman, won 6 titles as Jordan established himself as the greatest player of all time. And in the new millennium, the Toronto Raptors, an expansion team that was part of the NBA's effort to be a 'global sport,' have dominated the NBA.
- YouTube documentary: The 2000's Toronto Raptors: The Expansion Dynasty by torontobasketballfan95
_______________________________________________________________________________________

What if I told you that an expansion team would become one of the most impressive dynasties in NBA history? What if I told you that a former player from Detroit would become the best manager in Toronto's history? What if I told you that you could erase the pain of a frustrated hockey town, and the curse of a cheap general manager? What if I told you that a country obsessed with post-secondary education for all pinned its hopes and dreams on high school kids, and it worked? What if I told you a purple dinosaur could be a symbol of both cool and lame at the same time? What if I told you trophies really did follow a compass?
- Commercial for the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary "We the North"

Last edited:
Prologue: The Expansion Agreement
In July 1993, an NBA expansion committee headed by Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo came to Toronto to meet with the bid groups, examine their plans, and visit their proposed arena sites. The PBF contingent made an immediate impact, based upon its criteria for a downtown site: it was to be on the subway line - giving Torontonians access without having to fight winter conditions - and close to the financial core of the city to entice major businesses to buy major corporate boxes, a key element in the financial plan of 1990s sports franchises. Neither of the other bidders proposed a site so centrally located.

During a break in the meeting, David Stern called Colangelo, telling him to allow the expansion teams to get the top 2 picks in the 1995 NBA Draft, as well as for either franchise to have the top pick should either of them win the draft lottery the following year. Colangelo refused, citing fears that a situation similar to that of the 1992-93 Orlando Magic would occur, in which the expansion franchises could quickly build championship contenders due to the possibility of these teams tanking their first few seasons to get the top 2 picks in subsequent drafts. Stern overruled him, and as a result, the Raptors and Grizzlies would get the top 2 picks in the 1995 NBA Draft, as determined by coin flip.

A coin flip was then held on June 8, 1995 between the Raptors and Grizzlies to determine who would get the top pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, and who would get the top pick in the 1995 NBA Expansion Draft, with the winner deciding which top pick they wanted. Vancouver won, and elected to take the top pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, while Toronto would get the first pick in the 1995 NBA Expansion Draft.
- Taken from the Wikipedia page, History of the Toronto Raptors: Creation

Last edited:
1995 NBA Expansion Draft: So It Begins
During the 1995 NBA Expansion Draft, the consensus in the room was that B.J. Armstrong was the guy to pick as the #1 player in the expansion draft. However, at the expansion draft, when we called B.J. telling him that he was going to be our guy, his agent interrupted, telling us that B.J. would refuse to report to Toronto. As a result, we had to scramble. I wanted Greg Anthony, but Brendan Malone talked me into drafting a wing from New York named Doug Christie, because he knew that I really liked this point guard from Orlando, and also convinced me that we could get him with our next pick, as he knew that the Vancouver Grizzlies were threatening to select him. So, I selected Doug Christie and watched Vancouver take the bait by selecting B.J. Armstrong with their first expansion draft pick.
- Excerpt from Isiah Thomas' book, The Fundamentals: 8 Plays for Winning the Games of Business and Life
_______________________________________________________________________________________

1. Toronto: Doug Christie, SG, New York Knicks
2. Vancouver: B.J. Armstrong, PG, Chicago Bulls
3. Toronto: Darrell Armstrong, PG, Orlando Magic
4. Vancouver: Tony Massenburg, C, Los Angeles Clippers

After Isiah selected his two "pet projects" and watched as B.J. Armstrong was snapped up by Vancouver, we quickly realized that in order to compete with Vancouver (and the rest of the NBA), we would have to make our team as expendable as possible, while getting reasonable assets along the way. I wanted to win now and thought we could make the playoffs off of an expansion team and the top pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, but I was proven wrong. Therefore, the rest of our expansion draft became an attempt to stockpile as many assets for our future as we possibly could, be it through trade value, mentorship value... whatever we could find, because Isiah & I both knew we were not going to win much fast with this roster. We selected with the premise that to win as fast as possible, we would need to build a solid support system around the superstar we would select at #2 immediately, in both talent and leadership. So if you want to know why we picked the players that we did, that's your answer.
- Brendan Malone on CBC Sports podcast episode, Raptors: 20 Years of Excellence (November 3, 2015)

5. Toronto: Oliver Miller, PF, Detroit Pistons
6. Vancouver: Antonio Harvey, PF, Los Angeles Lakers
7. Toronto: Dale Ellis, SF, Denver Nuggets
8. Vancouver: Andres Guibert, PF, Minnesota Timberwolves
9. Toronto: John Salley, C, Miami Heat
10. Vancouver: Trevor Ruffin, PG, Phoenix Suns
11. Toronto: Jerome Kersey, SF, Portland Trail Blazers
12. Vancouver: Derrick Phelps, PG, Sacramento Kings
13. Toronto: Rex Chapman, SG, Washington Bullets
14. Vancouver: Dontonio Wingfield, SF, Seattle SuperSonics
15. Toronto: Byron Scott, PG, Indiana Pacers
16. Vancouver: Kenny Gattison, PF, Charlotte Hornets
17. Toronto: Ed Pinckney, PF, Milwaukee Bucks
18. Vancouver: Willie Anderson, SG, San Antonio Spurs
19. Toronto: Acie Earl, C, Boston Celtics
20. Vancouver: Gerald Wilkins, SG, Cleveland Cavaliers
21. Toronto: Zan Tabak, C, Houston Rockets
22. Vancouver: Benoit Benjamin, C, New Jersey Nets
23. Toronto: Doug Edwards, PF, Atlanta Hawks
24. Vancouver: Blue Edwards, SF, Utah Jazz
25. Toronto: Dwayne Morton, PG, Golden State Warriors
26. Vancouver: B.J. Tyler, PG, Philadelphia 76ers
27. Toronto: Terry Davis, PF, Dallas Mavericks

Last edited:
A TL about the Raptors? I never would've thought that anything like this would happen, but this is pretty good so far! Keep it up Marco!

WE THE NORTH FOREVER

Turning Isiah Thomas into a success as a GM? Interesting...

Waiting for more...

Yeah, I know Isiah screwed up the Knicks big time, which clouds everybody's perception of him. But when he was GM with the Raptors, he was actually pretty good. He drafted Damon Stoudamire in '95 (Rookie of the Year, & we picked too late for Kevin Garnett), Marcus Camby in '96 (picking too late for Allen Iverson), & Tracy McGrady in '97, all while he could never get the first pick in the draft due to the Raptors' expansion agreement, which prevented us from getting the first pick in the draft until 1999, IIRC. Assuming Thomas stays & the Raptors still get Vince Carter (or someone like Nowitzki/Pierce), he managed to construct a legitimate Eastern Conference contender for the early 2000's. Doing that without the ability to get the #1 pick, or sign major free agents, is nothing short of impressive.

This TL is what would have happened had the expansion agreement allowed the Raptors & Grizzlies to have top picks. And as you'll see, Isiah knew exactly what he was doing. ;)

A TL about the Raptors? I never would've thought that anything like this would happen, but this is pretty good so far! Keep it up Marco!

Exactly why I did this timeline!

And with that being said, on to the 1995 NBA Draft. Who will the Raptors pick? Stay tuned!

1995 NBA Draft: Let There Be Rookies
NBA-Draft_old-logo.png
Going into the 1995 NBA Draft, things were shaping up to be really interesting. The Grizzlies and Raptors had the top 2 picks, with both teams were looking to move whatever players they could in order to position themselves as best as they could for the draft. The day after the expansion draft, the Grizzlies traded B.J. Armstrong to the Warriors for the #3 pick after he refused to report to the organization. With the B.J. Armstrong trade, rumours spread through NBA front offices that the Raptors were looking to move multiple players for mid-late 1st round draft picks, with the wildest ones saying that they were going to package them all to the Grizzlies in exchange for the #3 pick. Others even said the Raptors were willing to trade down with Detroit for their 2 first round picks, as well as first-rounders in future years. While no one was certain of what the Raptors' and Grizzlies' rosters would look like at the end of the night, one thing was certain: this was going to be the wildest draft in NBA history.
- From the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary "We the North"

1995 NBA Draft
Aired June 28, 1995 on TNT.
RUSH TRANSCRIPT:

ScreenShot2013-06-24at1.34.49PM_original.png

ERNIE JOHNSON: I’m here with Hubie Brown. Hubie, the Grizzlies have just decided to trade B.J. Armstrong to the Warriors for the 3rd pick in the draft after Armstrong refused to report to the organization. Who should they go with?

HUBIE BROWN: Look, Ernie, the Vancouver Grizzlies are in an extremely fortunate position here, having the 1st and 3rd picks in the draft. I suggest they trade the picks in an attempt to get a superstar such as Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, or Shawn Kemp. It could really help for the team to win games, which will draw fans & other good players to the team that will help their competitiveness in coming years.

ERNIE JOHNSON: Yeah, but you would be giving away young assets and empowering the NBA’s powerhouses even more and setting them up for the future. When you’re an expansion team like the Grizzlies, you don’t want to do that. You want to set up a winning team, and you can do that by setting up your future. You’re an expansion team; you’re not going to win in the first year. Let your young players develop into superstars, and just take it from there.

HUBIE BROWN: Yeah, but it would help if they had a superstar role model who could help with that.

ERNIE JOHNSON: Alright, that’s Hubie stating the importance of landing a superstar on this draft night. I’m also here with Rick Pitino. Rick, tell me, what do you do with this pick?

RICK PITINO: You draft the best player available. You draft a superstar. You have 2 chances here to select a franchise-changing player in the same year. Not many teams get that. The closest example I can think of is in 1984, when the Portland Trail Blazers offered the Houston Rockets the #2 pick in exchange for Ralph Sampson. The difference is, the Rockets didn’t bite; the Warriors did. Had the Rockets accepted the trade, we’d be seeing an Olajuwon-Jordan duo down in Houston, and the Rockets being the owners of the last 5 NBA championships. The Grizzlies have the potential to do something on that level if they draft well with both these picks.

ERNIE JOHNSON: Rick, I’m with you in saying that this could be the birth of a Grizzlies dynasty. However, there’s one problem: not many players want to play in Canada.

RICK PITINO: You’re right, and the challenge is finding extremely talented players who don’t mind going north of the border. Rasheed Wallace has clearly stated he doesn’t want to play for the Grizzlies, saying, “It’s too far for him and his mama.” However, Joe Smith, Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse, Kevin Garnett, and Ed O’Bannon clearly don’t mind the idea of playing for a Canadian team, be it in Vancouver or Toronto. If Vancouver selects 2 of them, which they most likely will, they could set themselves up to be very good for a very long time. If I were them, I would select Joe Smith, who was the National Player of the Year, at first, and Jerry Stackhouse at third. Gives them a solid inside-outside presence & foundation to build around.

ERNIE JOHNSON: How do you think the Grizzlies will fill their need at point guard, then? Do you think they reach for Stoudamire at the 3?

RICK PITINO: I think Stoudamire at the 3 is too much of a reach, even for an expansion franchise. I think they go with Smith & Stackhouse, and then sign a point guard in free agency. All indications from Portland seem to be that Terry Porter is available.

ERNIE JOHNSON: Alright, and the pick is in – the Vancouver Grizzlies making their first selection ever –

(Cut to NBA Commissioner David Stern at the podium).

DAVID STERN: With the first pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, and their first draft pick ever, the Vancouver Grizzlies select… Joe Smith from Maryland!

(Crowd roars loudly in approval. Cut to group of Grizzlies fans draping a large Canadian flag over a SkyDome balcony).

ERNIE JOHNSON: And here comes the first pick of the draft. Joe Smith, 6’9-and-a-half, 230 pounds, 19 years old, arguably the best player available, and now, the unofficial franchise face of the new Vancouver Grizzlies.

RICK PITINO: Well, you’re right, Ernie. The Grizzlies need a franchise face and all the help they can get. They’re certainly getting it in Mr. Joe Smith. He has tremendous physical gifts, in addition to an unbelievable work ethic, a very coachable player, and a ton of passion for this game. Honestly, no one is surprised by this selection. Joe Smith has stated that he won’t mind playing in Canada, so this was the obvious pick.

Though what we did seems so obvious now, at the time, there was doubt in the room. A lot of people wanted us to pick Jerry Stackhouse, so that Dale Ellis could have someone to mentor. One guy even got the idea to trade Doug Christie to the Grizzlies for the #3 pick so that we could draft Damon Stoudamire, but we all realized the Grizzlies would never give that pick up. They desperately needed a good point guard.

So I asked Isiah, "Are you sure you wanna do this?"

Isiah told me to "trust him. I really want this high school kid. I love this kid. We need to get him."

I replied to Isiah, "Look, I understand your crush on player potential, especially with the picks you made in the expansion draft. I also understand he absolutely blew you away with his draft workout. But I don't think he's ready to lead an expansion team right now. We need both talent and leadership in our pick, and I don't think he's mature enough to get the leadership part down."

Isiah then reassured me, "We're not gonna win for a couple of years anyway. We might as well use that time to develop him. We've got veteran leadership in guys like John Salley, Dale Ellis, Jerome Kersey... guys that have been All-Stars on great teams before, so they can show him what it takes to get to superstardom."

So with that, I actually calmed down and said, "Alright Isiah. Take him," but deep down, I couldn't believe we were actually doing this! An expansion team putting its hopes and dreams, and ability to stay in a city, on a high school kid. As crazy as it sounds right now, it was way crazier back in 1995.
- Brendan Malone on CBC Sports podcast episode, Raptors: 20 Years of Excellence (November 3, 2015)

I want everybody in this room to remember this: do what you want, and what you know in your gut is right, even if you're afraid. It's those people who change lives, cities, nations, and the world. Remember, I used my first pick on a high school kid in 1995. And before you get mad at me (laughs in the audience), remember how that turned out!
(Loud cheering and clapping, with some in the audience chanting, "Let's go Raptors! Let's go Raptors!")
- Isiah Thomas, University of Toronto Commencement Speech, June 5, 2015

1995 NBA Draft, Pick #2
ERNIE JOHNSON: Alright, and now, the Toronto Raptors on the clock with the #2 pick, you can hear the crowd growing louder. Rick, who do you pick, at #2?

RICK PITINO: Just like the Grizzlies, the Raptors need a star player anywhere. If I were them, I take Jerry Stackhouse. Can play at either the 2 or the 3, and can fill in for Dale Ellis as he gets older; Ellis is 35 going into this season, you need to start thinking about his successor.

ERNIE JOHNSON: Yeah, but what about that high school kid, Kevin Garnett?

RICK PITINO: Isiah has clearly expressed very strong interest in Garnett, and inside sources from the Raptors have told me that Garnett is his pick at #2. However, it's still a toss-up between Stackhouse and Garnett.

ERNIE JOHNSON: That is true, and we're finally going to find out who the Raptors take. The pick is in, let's go to the commissioner (A thunderous roar begins blocks his commentary. Inside the SkyDome, audible stomping of feet can be heard).

DAVID STERN: With the second pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, the Toronto Raptors select…with their first pick ever…Kevin Garnett from Faragut Academy in Chicago!
(Audible booing and chanting, “We want Ed! We want Ed!" – referring to Ed O’Bannon of UCLA, the 1995 NCAA Tournament’s Most Oustanding Player)

ERNIE JOHNSON: Oh my god! With the 2nd pick in the draft, the Raptors go with the high school kid, Kevin Garnett!

HUBIE BROWN: If you know Isiah, no surprise here, but you have to wonder, a high school kid at the 2 spot? They could have had Jerry Stackhouse!

ERNIE JOHNSON: And these fans are clearly mad about that pick. But right now, Kevin Garnett, the first high school player selected in the NBA Draft since Moses Malone in 1974, is going to Toronto. Alright, let’s take a look at this guy, 6’11”, 220 pounds, just turned 19 years old a month ago. Parade All-American First Team, Mr. Basketball Illinois, and South Carolina; he was in Mauldin, South Carolina for a time before going to Chicago. The question now, why is he going to the NBA? His test scores were not high enough, did not want to do the junior college route... he entered the NBA Draft. And his stories are becoming legend already for people who have watched him work out, from the fact that, I guess, he had a triple-double in one quarter in high school, and also in the Chicago camp, I heard he was knocking some people’s socks off.

HUBIE BROWN: Yeah, well, I think he surprised people who said, we went in to watch him work out, hoping that he was really not that good. Unfortunately, they got in there and saw the athleticism. Plus, not only the shot-blocking and rebounding, but he runs the floor like the wind for a guy his size, and also, he’s right at the top as one of the best passers that we have in this draft, to go along with everything else that he possesses. Certainly, an all-around player a team like Toronto would want.

kevin-garnett-high-school-si-cover.jpg

The selection of Kevin Garnett was a shocker, but it would be nothing compared to what Isiah Thomas would pull off next. From there, it could be said that he had the greatest day for any general manager in the history of sport. First, he traded Jerome Kersey and Terry Davis to the Sacramento Kings for the 13th pick, which became Brent Barry. He then traded John Salley and Doug Edwards to the Boston Celtics for the #14 pick, which became Bob Sura, giving the Celtics desperately-needed inside help and the Raptors a sort-of point guard that they could use for the time being. But perhaps Isiah's most unbelievable stroke of genius came at the expense of his former team: he was able to convince the Pistons' front office to give up their #18 and #19 picks for Dwayne Morton and Ed Pinckney, with the belief that those players could give the young Pistons the support they needed around Allan Houston and Grant Hill. However, the Pistons would pay dearly for their mistake, as the Raptors went on to select Theo Ratliff at #18, who went on to become a legendary shot-blocker and one of the most underrated players in NBA history, and future All-Star Michael Finley one pick later. And to top it all off, with the first pick of the 2nd round, he selected Fred Hoiberg, a 3-point specialist who turned out to be a very solid role player off the bench. With the benefit of hindsight, this draft is seen as so lopsided that many believe there was a conspiracy by NBA commissioner David Stern to make the Raptors as successful as possible, to prove his belief that basketball can succeed outside of the United States. However, multiple interviews with the general managers and coaches of the teams who made the trades have had them all acknowledge their belief that they were making the best moves for their teams at that time, and none of them saying anything along the lines of "the league was out to get them that night." This truly makes the Raptors' 1995 draft the best in NBA history.
- From the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary: We the North

Some people want to call it a conspiracy. Some people want to say we got "special treatment" from the league. And I keep telling them, "There was no fix that night". The thing is, all these mid-late 1st round teams truly believed they were one or two pieces away from being a championship contender back then, and we knew we had absolutely no pieces that would get us to a championship at that time. We also knew that we couldn't sign the big-name free agents or make any type of major trade involving a superstar for another 3 years thanks to the expansion agreement. So, that's why we went for the bottom half of the first round: we all knew that if this worked, nobody would have seen it coming. I think drafting Kevin Garnett over more established, prominent names such as Stackhouse, Stoudamire, and McDyess also helped.

Last edited:
Oh, and btw, here's how the 1995 NBA Draft turns out TTL:

1995 NBA Draft Results - 1st Round
1. Vancouver: Joe Smith, PF, Maryland
2. Toronto: Kevin Garnett, PF, Faragut Academy (High School)
3. Vancouver (from Golden State): Damon Stoudamire, PG, Arizona
4. LA Clippers (to Denver): Antonio McDyess, PF, Alabama
5. Philadelphia: Jerry Stackhouse, SG, North Carolina
6. Washington: Rasheed Wallace, PF, North Carolina
7. Minnesota: Bryant Reeves, C, Oklahoma State
8. Portland (to Milwaukee): Shawn Respert, SG, Michigan State
9. New Jersey: Ed O’Bannon, SF, UCLA
10. Miami: Kurt Thomas, PF, Texas Christian
11. Milwaukee (to Portland): Gary Trent, PF, Ohio
12. Dallas: Cherokee Parks, C, Duke
13. Toronto (from Sacramento):Brent Barry, SG, Oregon State
14. Toronto (from Boston):Bob Sura, PG, Florida State
15. Denver (to LA Clippers): Eric Williams, SF, Providence
16. Atlanta: Alan Henderson, PF, Indiana
17. Cleveland: Randolph Childress, PG, Wake Forest
18. Toronto (from Portland via Detroit): Theo Ratliff, C, Wyoming
19. Toronto (from Houston via Portland & Detroit): Michael Finley, SF, Wisconsin
20. Chicago: Jason Caffey, PF, Alabama
21. Phoenix: Corliss Williamson, SF, Arkansas
22. Charlotte: George Zidek, C, UCLA
23. Indiana: Travis Best, PG, Georgia Tech
24. Dallas: Loren Meyer, C, Iowa State
25. Orlando: David Vaughn, PF, Memphis
26. Seattle: Sherell Ford, SF, Illinois – Chicago
27. Phoenix: Mario Bennett, PF, Arizona State
28. Utah: Greg Ostertag, C, Kansas
29. San Antonio: Cory Alexander, PG, Virginia

1995 NBA Draft - Toronto Raptors Picks
2. Kevin Garnett, PF, Faragut Academy (High School)
13. Brent Barry, SG, Oregon State
14. Bob Sura, PG, Florida State
18. Theo Ratliff, C, Wyoming
19. Michael Finley, SF, Wisconsin
30. Fred Holberg, SG, Iowa State

Last edited:
Kevin Garnett on the Raptors? Oh, if only real life was like that...

Then again, this'll might mean that the Raptors ITTL won't get Tracy McGrady or Vince Carter.... though if they do, that'd be one hell of a team.

Wonder how the 1995 NBA season will turn out...

I like it. Even if I have sneaking suspicion that King James ain't going to the Cavs.

Kevin Garnett on the Raptors? Oh, if only real life was like that...

Then again, this'll might mean that the Raptors ITTL won't get Tracy McGrady or Vince Carter.... though if they do, that'd be one hell of a team.

LeBron James? Vince Carter? Tracy McGrady? Man, you guys are giving me good ideas...

But we shall see about all of that. I just want to let this timeline go wherever it goes, and let the chips fall where they may. That said, let's go to the 1995 NBA offseason, & see the initial reactions to the Raptors' moves.

1995 NBA Offseason: The Original Team
SportsCenter
Courtesy of ESPN

Aired June 29, 1995
THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT

STUART SCOTT: A complete stunner of a draft in the NBA. Get this: the Raptors traded 5 of their players from the expansion draft & ended up making 6 draft picks: a whole starting lineup & a 6th man! The Raptors’ draft could end up being the greatest in NBA history; at this point, it’s certainly the most overwhelming.

DAN PATRICK: Well, all 5 of those players wanted out of Canada anyways. But most of Isiah’s decisions questionable: instead of going for another top-5 pick like the Grizzlies, he instead goes for a bunch of mid-1st round picks, and when he does pick at the top, he chooses the high school kid, Kevin Garnett!

STUART SCOTT: Isiah has made no secret of his desire to pick Kevin Garnett; he believes Garnett’s going to be a special player. I’ve seen him play; I believe that, but it is going to take some time. But when you have an expansion franchise like the Raptors, you can afford to wait.

DAN PATRICK: Yeah, but he could have had Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse, or Damon Stoudamire, or even traded up to the #1 spot with all those picks and drafted Joe Smith, the National Player of the Year!

STUART SCOTT: True, but none of those players probably wanted to play in Canada, anyways, and would have probably forced their way out. Kevin Garnett has decided that he wants to play in Toronto; good for the Raptors for landing their franchise player.

DAN PATRICK: Okay, but the Raptors also landing Brent Barry at #13, Bob Sura at #14, Theo Ratliff at #18, and Michael Finley at #19! What do you make of that?

STUART SCOTT: Barry and Finley were total steals by the Raptors; many expected them to go in the late lottery. With their athletic & shooting abilities, they’ll form a great wing duo for the Raptors for years to come. Bob Sura can play either the point guard or shooting guard positions, so he provides the Raptors with a ton of gameplan flexibility, and Theo Ratliff looks to have the makings of a solid player off the bench.

DAN PATRICK: I grade the Raptors’ draft a A-: though the Garnett decision was a little headscratching, Barry & Finley look like steals & the future wingmen for the Raptors. In Sura, they got a point guard, but not the true point guard that this franchise was desperately looking for. In Ratliff, they got a center who looks like he can be solid. The Raptors drafted their future tonight.

STUART SCOTT: Yeah, and rumours emerged that the Raptors were looking to trade Rex Chapman & Dale Ellis for Vancouver’s #3 slot so they could draft Damon Stoudamire; Vancouver responded by saying, “If you trade up for the #3, we’ll just draft Stoudamire at #1.” Clever way to reject a trade, Dan.

Mega-Draft for expansion teams: Raptors score record number of first round draft picks, Grizzlies draft a potentially championship-caliber inside-outside combo
Excerpt from Sports Illustrated
June 29, 1995

(Sports Illustrated) With a two-round era record of 6 picks, including 5 first-rounders, the Toronto Raptors have completed the biggest draft in NBA history in terms of the number of players selected, and arguably the most controversial. Still, the Raptors and Vancouver Grizzlies rank equally as the biggest winners of the draft. The Grizzlies had the 1st and 3rd picks of the draft, and used them on Joe Smith and Damon Stoudamire, creating a potentially formidable inside-outside combination.

“It’s one thing to select one player of Joe Smith’s or Damon Stoudamire’s caliber in the draft. That can happen to anyone with a top pick. But to select 2 players like that in the same year? Man, there’s something to be said for miracles. This kind of draft can only be described as an act of God,” Grizzlies head coach Brian Winters said after the draft.

Meanwhile, in Toronto, home of what will be known as “High School Kid and Friends”, Isiah Thomas was quoted as saying, “I am confident that Kevin is going to be an NBA superstar, and we couldn’t be happier to have him in Toronto.”

The sentiments of the Raptors and Grizzlies were shared around the NBA.

“I think it’s a great thing that the NBA is doing, giving these new teams the chance to compete immediately. I also think that the Raptors and Grizzlies have great management personnel who are willing to take risks to win multiple championships in the future,” Chicago Bulls superstar Michael Jordan said after the draft.

Meanwhile, the Clippers used the 4th pick on Antonio McDyess before trading him with Randy Woods to the Nuggets for Eric Williams & Roy Rogers, the 76ers used the 5th pick on Jerry Stackhouse, the Bullets used the 6th pick on Rasheed Wallace, & the Timberwolves used the 7th pick on Bryant Reeves.

The first day I came to Toronto for the press conference introducing the rookies, I'm outside the Skydome, it's 95 degrees (Fahrenheit), sun right in my eyes, feeling like 105. My friends were calling me that whole day, laughing at me, tellin' me, "the NBA messed with you, man! Nobody takes high school kids, dawg! You're going to Canada, you gonna freeze your ass off!" I told 'em, "Playing in Canada's all good, if you getting paid millions to do it. Also, DO NOT play around with these Toronto summers. They're just like the ones back home." So I'm talking to Bob (Sura). I know he's from Florida State, so I ask him, "Just like home?" He tells me, "Definitely. You know, I thought Canada's the land of igloos, but you wouldn't know it being outside." And then Michael (Finley), who was from Wisconsin, knows it's like this, shoots us this dirty look... man, that first day in Toronto was one of the funniest days of my life. That's when I knew these guys were gonna be my brothers, and that Toronto was my home.
- Kevin Garnett, from the ESPN 30 for 30 Documentary "We the North"

There was a buzz around the city, because people heard "5 first-round picks" and thought championship contender. Kids were buying Raptors gear like crazy. I walked down Front Street, saw a ton of kids with Raptors hats already. Everybody was calling us "a team to watch." But nobody knew if this thing was gonna work. Toronto was a hockey town: the Maple Leafs were a religion. We just started the expansion team, and there was talk that this team would be moved within 5 years if we were losing money on it. There was also talk that Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment would look to buy out the franchise. I also had to convince Alvin Robertson to come out of retirement & be our starting point guard, because I knew that Bob and Darrell weren't ready yet. Those first few years were actually really tense, and that's the part that everybody forgets.
- Isiah Thomas, from the ESPN 30 for 30 Documentary "We the North"

1995-96 NBA Season Preview: Despite worlds of talent & potential, young Raptors will go through expansion struggles
Sports Illustrated
October 29, 1995

(TORONTO) – Don’t sleep on the Toronto Raptors. Yes, the Toronto Raptors. One of this season's two expansion teams, and the same team that traded away half their roster for draft picks. The same team that elected to start 2 first-round draft picks while giving the other three “significant roles off the bench.” The same team that passed up Jerry Stackhouse, Antonio McDyess, and Rasheed Wallace in the draft for a kid straight out of high school. The same team that is managed by Isiah Thomas, who lifted the Bad Boy Pistons to glory while manipulating everything behind the scenes. Yes, these Toronto Raptors. They might be the weirdest expansion team ever, but they might also be one of the best, and they'll definitely be among the most entertaining to watch as they go through their growing pains.

GUARDS: The Raptors are starting Alvin Robertson at the point. One of the NBA's greatest defenders in the 1980's, he is coming off of a 2-year retirement, and despite concerns that he will be rusty, he can give great mentorship to the player coming off the bench for him, freshly drafted rookie Bob Sura. Sura is a point guard-shooting guard hybrid, but he does have significant potential as a passer, scorer, & leader. If he can get things right, the rest of this offense will click. At starting shooting guard is Rex Chapman, who just came from the Washington Bullets. Rex Chapman can provide good outside shooting and passing for the team. Backing him up is Brent Barry, the son of Hall of Famer Rick. He will be looking to escape his father’s shadow, and with his athleticism & shooting ability, he has the chance to do exactly that and become the savior of the franchise. Barry and Chapman will also play spot minutes at point guard. Byron Scott, a veteran who played for the Showtime Lakers in the 80’s, can also play either guard position, and bring enough experience to this offense and mentor Sura & Barry to become the great players that they can be. Darrell Armstrong, who came over in the expansion draft for the Orlando Magic, can provide quick offense in case anybody gets injured. Fred Hoiberg, who was drafted with the Raptors' second-round pick, will also look to do the same at shooting guard. Overall, while the backcourt doesn't look that great on paper, in reality, the Raptors are in a great backcourt situation, with veterans starting until the youngsters are ready to take over. Grade: C

FORWARDS: At small forward, the Raptors are starting rookie Michael Finley. Many projected he would be a lottery pick in the draft; however, he’s here. He has the potential to be a Scottie Pippen-like player, and can score, rebound, and defend. Dale Ellis is a good option off the bench; he is a tremendous shooter, and although he can’t score like he could a decade ago, he can still play. However, he is 35; the Raptors will need to find his replacement sooner or later. Doug Christie, who came over from the Knicks as the Raptors' first pick in the expansion draft, is hoping to redeem himself from a disastrous season in New York. All three of these players can also play shooting guard. Starting at power forward is the guy everybody’s been talking about lately: Kevin Garnett, the high school kid. Isiah Thomas is really high on this guy, and rightfully so: he is one of the best high school prospects ever seen. The question is, can that potential translate, and can Kevin Garnett stay focused enough throughout the season for his potential to translate into wins? If it does, we could have a potential superstar in a few years. All indications out of training camp seem to point to him being the hardest-working guy there and emerging as a leader for this young team, which are good signs; it seems as if he is focused and ready for the season. His backup, Acie Earl, is hoping to shed the "bust" label that came with him from Boston, and he can do that by playing well enough to make sure the Raptors don't lose. Earl (and hopefully, eventually Garnett) can also slide over to the center position. Basically, this whole group of players is one wise, old sage mentoring the young guns to take over when he’s gone. I would rate the forward spot much higher if this preview was being done 5 seasons ago or 5 seasons from now, but in the present, it is really nothing that impressive. I’ll give them bonus points for potential. Grade: B+

CENTERS: Okay, here we go. Oliver Miller is a 20-10-3 threat when he feels like it, but a big question remains as to whether or not he can stay motivated (and fit) throughout the season, especially now that he’s playing in Canada. However, it is a contract year for him, so expect him to show more flashes of his potential. If the rest of the team can motivate Miller to work hard, the Raptors have their a franchise center. If only Oliver Miller could give Theo Ratliff & Kevin Garnett some of that weight {sigh}. Speaking of Ratliff, he's a great rebounder and shot blocker, and his defense will give the Raptors a “nasty” edge. Still, at only 210 pounds, he is better suited to the bench/power forward position until he develops some strength. Zan Tabak didn’t really do much last season with the Rockets, and he will probably be the 3rd center on the depth chart. Tabak is 25 years old; when are you going to stop saying, “Give him time,” and start expecting results? Overall, this position is probably the most jumbled of all of the positions covered here, and that's saying a lot. Grade: C+

COACHING: Brendan Malone made a really bold statement by telling the Raptors to “start the rookies.” How he is graded depends on how that philosophy works out. With the positional versatility of basically every player on this roster, it'll also be interesting to see what kinds of rotations he throws out. He can really afford to "try them all out until he finds what works best" for this team. Meanwhile, he agreed with general manager Isiah Thomas to make some really good choices in the draft, stealing Brent Barry and Michael Finley, and drafting Kevin Garnett, who right now, looks like the best rookie big man in a league starving for them. Grade: INC

OVERALL: This team, as an expansion team, looks surprisingly solid. They look to have a solid sense of where they want to go as a franchise and what kind of team they want to become, which is a lot more than a lot of older teams can say. They not only have a solid young core with the potential for greatness, but veteran players who have been in situations of greatness before that are willing to mentor them. That’s not to say they’ll be championship contenders the moment they step on the floor, but they’ll be a lot better than most expansion teams. This was a great team-building job by Isiah Thomas, who is quickly proving himself as being one of the best general managers in the league. Still, like every expansion team ever, this is going to be a tough season for the Raptors, and those screaming "Playoffs" should really calm their expectations.
Projection: 32-50, out of the playoffs

1995-96 Toronto Raptors Roster
1995-96 Toronto Raptors Starting Lineup:
PG Alvin Robertson
SG Rex Chapman
SF Michael Finley (Rookie)
PF Kevin Garnett (Rookie)
C Oliver Miller

1995-96 Toronto Raptors Bench:
PG Darrell Armstrong
PG Bob Sura
SG Byron Scott
SG Brent Barry
SG Fred Hoiberg
SF Doug Christie
SF Dale Ellis
PF Acie Earl
PF Theo Ratliff
C Zan Tabak

Offseason Additions:
PG Alvin Robertson (Free Agent Signing)

Offseason Losses
:
PG Dwayne Morton (Traded to Detroit)
SF Jerome Kersey (Traded to Sacramento)
PF Ed Pinckney (Traded to Detroit)
PF Terry Davis (Traded to Sacramento)
PF Doug Edwards (Traded to Boston)
PF John Salley (Traded to Boston)

Last edited:
1995-96 NBA Season: The First Season
Raptors fly high with solid victory over New Jersey before 33,306 fans
Toronto Star
November 4, 1995

(TORONTO) – The Raptors defeated the New Jersey Nets 86-75 before a record Canadian crowd of 33,306 fans at the SkyDome. Sure, it was only one of 82 games in their inaugural season, but the victory over the ragged Nets team was a psychological boost for the new Raptors, who have tough road games coming up – tonight at Indiana & Tuesday at Chicago against the Bulls. The Raptors got two things you might not expect from an expansion team – leadership and depth. Kevin Garnett showed his leadership by scoring a game-high 18 points, while grabbing 6 rebounds and getting an assist and a steal in 32 minutes. Not bad for a guy who was shaking his principal’s hand in cap and gown four months ago. The depth was shown through 5 players, including Garnett, scoring in double figures: rookie Brent Barry, and veterans Alvin Robertson, Oliver Miller, and Zan Tabak all scored 10 or more points in this game.

Head coach Brendan Malone said, “This is a great win for our team. Hopefully, we can use this to get a little momentum going, but we’ll see where we go from here. We’re just going to take things game by game.”

Garnett, who was named Player of the Game in his first ever NBA game, said, “It’s great to be getting out here and having the type of game where I can really showcase my abilities. Hopefully, we can do a lot more of that, and we can win a lot more ballgames. This is what we work hard for in training camp, you know?” When asked of first game jitters, he was quoted as saying, “No, I wasn’t nervous at all. I worked very hard to get here, and I’m going to continue working very hard and playing very hard, showing my worth to the team.”

General manager Isiah Thomas, who was behind the construction of what is coming to be known as the “Baby Raptors,” said, “This is a great win, not just for this franchise and these players, for this city. Hopefully, we can continue winning, draw some more fans, and if we can make a playoff push, then so be it.”

The Raptors will be taking a road trip through Indiana tonight and Chicago on Tuesday, before returning home on Wednesday to face the Sacramento Kings.

After winning their first game, the Raptors slumped to a 2-6 start due to facing a really strong schedule. However, they refused to get discouraged, as they established a goal of making the playoffs. For the rest of the season, they hovered just above the .400 mark, and thanks to a late surge, they ended up finishing 7th in the Central Division with a 38-44 record. Wasn’t necessarily their fault, as the Central Division was an absolute bloodbath that year: the 6 teams above the Raptors in the Central Division made the playoffs, with one of them being the mighty Chicago Bulls, and the others being seeds 3 through 7. The fact that the Raptors managed what they did this season, with the personnel they had and with the schedule they faced, is absolutely amazing. Some even believe that had the team played in the Western Conference that season, they would have made the playoffs and been a team that went above .500. But lost in the drama of missing the playoffs despite fighting to the very end were several very important milestones. They beat the Seattle Supersonics and the Orlando Magic, and also managed to best the Chicago Bulls twice. They also had the league’s stingiest defense, allowing only 87.6 points per game, which is impressive beyond words for a group of rookies and castoffs. Despite having the worst offense in the league by far that season (88 ppg as a team), four players managed to average double digits in points that season.

Young power forward Kevin Garnett, while only shooting 48.2% from the field, averaged 10.4 points and 6.3 rebounds on 29.4 minutes a night, which was impressive production from an at-the-time 19-year-old deemed “too skinny” and “not mentally ready” to handle life as a big man in the NBA. He was also named to the Schick Rookie Game at All-Star Weekend. But even better than that were the intangibles and maturity that he showed: even as early as the first game of the season, one could clearly see that Garnett was the leader of this team, and had accepted his role as the face of the Toronto Raptors.

Rookie small forward Michael Finley led the team in minutes (36.9), points (13.6), and steals (0.8) per game, while playing all 82 games, showing significant promise as a young, talented wing. He was named to the Schick Rookie Game with Garnett, and was the only Raptor named to the NBA's All-Rookie team.

Rookie point guard Bob Sura only played 7.2 minutes per game, but averaged 2.9 points, 0.7 rebounds, and 1.3 assists per game with those minutes, and showed that he could be the ball distributor that this team needs.

Rookie shooting guard Brent Barry won the 1996 Slam Dunk Contest, played in the Schick Rookie Game, and averaged 8.2 points per game on 49% shooting while playing only 19 minutes per game. He accepted his role as Rex Chapman’s backup gracefully.

Rookie center Theo Ratliff, while playing only 17.9 minutes per game, averaged 4.4 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks per game, foreshadowing his future as the inside defensive anchor of the Raptors dynasty. His highlight tape showed glimpses of his future greatness, and he was even praised by Dikembe Mutombo as “the next me.”

The rest of the team performed beyond expectations. Rex Chapman averaged 13.3 points per game, Oliver Miller enjoyed a career resurgence with 11.9 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks per game on 50% shooting, Alvin Robertson led the team in assists (3.9) and steals (1.8) per game while directing an offense and often guarding the other team’s best player, and role players such as former All-Star Dale Ellis accepted supporting roles gracefully, sacrificing stardom for the good of the team.

Overall, the Raptors’ inaugural season, while having a disappointing ending, served as a sign of things to come.
- Excerpt from Bleacher Report article “The 1995-96 Raptors: How The Inaugural Season Shaped a Dynasty” from the Bleacher Report article series “Raptors Dynasty: A Year-by-Year History of the Toronto Raptors, 1995-2015”

1995-96 NBA Standings
Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division
Orlando: 53-29 (2)
New York: 42-40 (8)

New Jersey: 40-42
Washington: 36-46
Miami: 35-47
Boston: 27-55
Philadelphia: 25-57

Central Division
Chicago: 67-15 (1)
Indiana: 51-31 (3)
Charlotte: 49-33 (4)
Detroit: 48-34 (5)
Atlanta: 48-34 (6)
Cleveland: 44-38 (7)

Toronto: 38-44
Milwaukee: 33-49

Western Conference

Midwest Division
Utah: 58-24 (1)
Houston: 53-29 (3)
San Antonio: 52-30 (4)
Phoenix: 40-42 (6)

Denver: 32-50
Dallas: 24-58
Minnesota: 21-61

Pacific Division
Seattle: 52-30 (2)
Los Angeles Lakers: 48-34 (5)
Portland: 39-43 (7)
Golden State: 39-43 (8)

Los Angeles Clippers: 35-47
Vancouver: 31-51
Sacramento: 29-53

1996 NBA Awards:

Most Valuable Player: Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls)
Rookie of the Year: Damon Stoudamire (Vancouver Grizzlies)
Defensive Player of the Year: Gary Payton (Seattle SuperSonics)
Most Improved Player: George Mhuresan (Washington Bullets)
Sixth Man of the Year: Toni Kukoc (Chicago Bulls)
Scoring Champion: Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls)
Rebounding Champion: Dennis Rodman (Chicago Bulls)
Assist Champion: John Stockton (Utah Jazz)
Steals Champion: Mookie Blaylock (Atlanta Hawks)
Blocks Champion: David Robinson (San Antonio Spurs)

All-NBA 1st Team:
PG Anfernee Hardaway (Orlando Magic)

SG Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls)
SF Scottie Pippen (Chicago Bulls)
PF Karl Malone (Utah Jazz)
C David Robinson (San Antonio Spurs)

All-NBA 2nd Team:
PG John Stockton (Utah Jazz)

SG Jeff Hornacek (Utah Jazz)
SF Cedric Ceballos (Los Angeles Lakers)
PF Larry Johnson (Charlotte Hornets)
C Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston Rockets)

All-NBA 3rd Team:
PG Gary Payton (Seattle SuperSonics)

SG Reggie Miller (Indiana Pacers)
SF Glen Rice (Charlotte Hornets)
PF Charles Barkley (Phoenix Suns)
C Shaquille O'Neal (Orlando Magic)

All-Rookie Team:
PG Damon Stoudamire (Vancouer Grizzlies)

SG Jerry Stackhouse (Philadelphia 76ers)
SF Michael Finley (Toronto Raptors)
PF Joe Smith (Vancouver Grizzlies)
C Arvydas Sabonis (Portland Trail Blazers)

1996 NBA All-Star Game Rosters:
East
Starters:

PG Anfernee Hardaway (Orlando Magic)
SG Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls)
SF Grant Hill (Detroit Pistons)
PF Larry Johnson (Charlotte Hornets)
C Alonzo Mourning (Miami Heat)

Bench:
PG Mookie Blaylock (Atlanta Hawks) (DNP, injury)
PG Terrell Brandon (Cleveland Cavaliers)
SG Steve Smith (Atlanta Hawks)
SG Reggie Miller (Indiana Pacers)
SF Glen Rice (Charlotte Hornets)
SF Scottie Pippen (Chicago Bulls)
PF Grant Long (Atlanta Hawks)
PF Vin Baker (Milwaukee Bucks)
C Shaquille O'Neal (Orlando Magic)
C Patrick Ewing (New York Knicks)

West:
Starters:
PG Gary Payton (Seattle SuperSonics)
SG Mitch Richmond (Sacramento Kings)
SF Cedric Ceballos (Los Angeles Lakers)
PF Karl Malone (Utah Jazz)
C David Robinson (San Antonio Spurs)

Bench:
PG Avery Johnson (San Antonio Spurs)
PG John Stockton (Utah Jazz)
SG Hersey Hawkins (Seattle SuperSonics)
SG Jeff Hornacek (Utah Jazz)
SF Sean Elliott (San Antonio Spurs)
SF Detlef Schrempf (Seattle SuperSonics)
PF Charles Barkley (Phoenix Suns) (DNP, injury)
PF Shawn Kemp (Seattle SuperSonics)
C Hakeem Olajuwon (Houston Rockets)
C Vlade Divac (Los Angeles Lakers)

1996 NBA Playoffs:

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals:
Chicago (1) vs. New York (8)
Charlotte (4) vs. Detroit (5)
Indiana (3) vs. Atlanta (6)
Orlando (2) vs. Cleveland (7)

Western Conference Quarterfinals:
Utah (1) vs Golden State (8)
San Antonio (4) vs. LA Lakers (5)
Houston (3) vs. Phoenix (6)
Seattle (2) vs. Portland (7)

Last edited:
One thing I wanna point out (as a guy from Toronto) early on while this TL is still getting started. :)

The Raptors did play their first four seasons in the SkyDome because there wasn't anything better, and they were building what is now the Air Canada Centre. The Maple Leafs were also looking for a new home at that point as by-then-65-year-old Maple Leaf Gardens was too small for their purposes, and the Leafs tried repeatedly to get the Raptors to abandon the ACC project in favor of a new joint arena, and when that didn't work, they bought the team. Now, if they are starting off well (and 38-44 is a massive improvement on their OTL first season, and Garnett is a hell of a building block to start with) they may well have more leverage. The Leafs' last-ditch attempt to move them off of the ACC was a monster of an arena over the tracks at Toronto's Union Station in place of its 1920's vintage train shed. If this team is starting off well, you could simply go straight to this, maybe even build it up a little more - the location is adjacent to OTL's Air Canada Centre, so I would not put it out of the question to have the main arena built over the tracks and other facilities built next to it, and the arena plans included office buildings for the Leafs and Raptors.

This is a drawing of what was proposed:

zz7Msg.jpg

1996 NBA Playoffs
249px-1996NBAPlayoffs.png

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals:
Chicago (1) over New York (8): Chicago 3, New York 2:

Game 1: New York 85, Chicago 74: New York leads 1-0
Game 2: New York 86, Chicago 81: New York leads 2-0
Game 3: Chicago 110, New York 92: New York leads 2-1
Game 4: Chicago 100, New York 79: Tied 2-2
Game 5: Chicago 100, New York 72: Chicago wins 3-2

Charlotte (4) over Detroit (5): Charlotte 3, Detroit 2:
Game 1: Detroit 107, Charlotte 104 (OT): Detroit leads 1-0
Game 2: Charlotte 105, Detroit 101: Tied 1-1
Game 3: Detroit 104, Charlotte 95: Detroit leads 2-1
Game 4: Charlotte 114, Detroit 112: Tied 2-2
Game 5: Charlotte 102, Detroit 93: Charlotte wins 3-2

Atlanta (6) over Indiana (3): Atlanta 3, Indiana 0:
Game 1: Atlanta 111, Indiana 101: Atlanta leads 1-0
Game 2: Atlanta 105, Indiana 93: Atlanta leads 2-0
Game 3: Atlanta 113, Indiana 107: Atlanta wins 3-0

Orlando (2) over Cleveland (7): Orlando 3, Cleveland 0:
Game 1: Orlando 81, Cleveland 79: Orlando leads 1-0 (Penny Hardaway game-winning three-pointer with 39.9 seconds left, Terrell Brandon misses buzzer-beating game-winning 3)
Game 2: Orlando 102, Cleveland 76: Orlando leads 2-0
Game 3: Orlando 90, Cleveland 84: Orlando wins 3-0

Western Conference Quarterfinals:
Utah (1) over Golden State (8): Utah 3, Golden State 2
Game 1: Utah 108, Golden State 106: Utah leads 1-0
Game 2: Utah 116, Golden State 95: Utah leads 2-0
Game 3: Golden State 98, Utah 95: Utah leads 2-1 (Chris Mullin takes the lead with 25 seconds to go)
Game 4: Golden State 104, Utah 97: Tied 2-2
Game 5: Utah 118, Golden State 108: Utah wins 3-2

LA Lakers (5) over San Antonio (4): LA Lakers 3, San Antonio 2
Game 1: San Antonio 125, LA Lakers 118: San Antonio leads 1-0
Game 2: San Antonio 107, LA Lakers 83: San Antonio leads 2-0
Game 3: LA Lakers 123, San Antonio 119: San Antonio leads 2-1
Game 4: LA Lakers 119, San Antonio 96: Tied 2-2
Game 5: LA Lakers 118, San Antonio 116: LA Lakers win 3-2 (Magic Johnson sinks series-winning shot with 0.9 seconds to go)

Phoenix (6) over Houston (3): Phoenix 3, Houston 2
Game 1: Houston 124, Phoenix 111: Houston leads 1-0
Game 2: Houston 122, Phoenix 99: Houston leads 2-0
Game 3: Phoenix 131, Houston 114: Houston leads 2-1
Game 4: Phoenix 136, Houston 119: Series tied 2-2
Game 5: Phoenix 101, Houston 85: Phoenix wins 3-2

Seattle (2) over Portland (7): Seattle 3, Portland 0
Game 1: Seattle 111, Portland 76: Seattle leads 1-0
Game 2: Seattle 117, Portland 108: Seattle leads 2-0
Game 3: Seattle 106, Portland 92: Seattle wins 3-0

Eastern Conference Semifinals:
Chicago (1) over Charlotte (4): Chicago 4, Charlotte 1:
Game 1: Chicago 118, Charlotte 89: Chicago leads 1-0
Game 2: Chicago 105, Charlotte 89: Chicago leads 2-0
Game 3: Charlotte 121, Chicago 105: Chicago leads 2-1
Game 4: Chicago 111, Charlotte 108: Chicago leads 3-1
Game 5: Chicago 111, Charlotte 85: Chicago wins 4-1

Orlando (2) over Atlanta (6): Orlando 4, Atlanta 1
Game 1: Orlando 105, Atlanta 101: Orlando leads 1-0
Game 2: Orlando 116, Atlanta 114 (OT): Orlando leads 2-0 (Penny Hardaway buzzer-beating three-pointer in OT)
Game 3: Orlando 125, Atlanta 99: Orlando leads 3-0
Game 4: Atlanta 115, Orlando 101: Orlando leads 3-1
Game 5: Orlando 124, Atlanta 100: Orlando wins 4-1

Western Conference Semifinals:
LA Lakers (5) over Utah (1): LA Lakers 4, Utah 2
Game 1: Utah 129, LA Lakers 105: Utah leads 1-0
Game 2: LA Lakers 117, Utah 113: Tied 1-1
Game 3: Utah 102, LA Lakers 94: Utah leads 2-1
Game 4: LA Lakers 93, Utah 90: Tied 2-2
Game 5: LA Lakers 107, Utah 90: LA Lakers lead 3-2
Game 6: LA Lakers 114, Utah 95: LA Lakers win 4-2

Seattle (2) over Phoenix (6): Seattle 4, Phoenix 2
Game 1: Seattle 120, Phoenix 104: Seattle leads 1-0
Game 2: Phoenix 122, Seattle 120: Tied 1-1 (Wesley Person hits game-winner with 0.9 seconds to go)
Game 3: Seattle 132, Phoenix 113: Seattle leads 2-1
Game 4: Phoenix 120, Seattle 113: Tied 2-2
Game 5: Seattle 118, Phoenix 107: Seattle leads 3-2
Game 6: Seattle 116, Phoenix 106: Seattle wins 4-2

Eastern Conference Finals:
Chicago (1) vs. Orlando (2): Chicago 4, Orlando 2
Game 1: Orlando 100, Chicago 91: Orlando leads 1-0
Game 2: Chicago 129, Orlando 119: Tied 1-1
Game 3: Orlando 114, Chicago 98: Orlando leads 2-1
Game 4: Chicago 109, Orlando 87: Tied 2-2
Game 5: Chicago 115, Orlando 82: Chicago leads 3-2
Game 6: Chicago 103, Orlando 94: Chicago wins 4-2

Western Conference Finals:
Seattle (2) vs. LA Lakers (5): Seattle 4, LA Lakers 1
Game 1: Seattle 123, LA Lakers 94: Seattle leads 1-0
Game 2: Seattle 108, LA Lakers 104: Seattle leads 2-0
Game 3: Seattle 123, LA Lakers 120: Seattle leads 3-0
Game 4: LA Lakers 126, Seattle 103: Seattle leads 3-1
Game 5: Seattle 108, LA Lakers 99: Seattle wins 4-1

finals96.gif

Chicago Bulls (E1) vs. Seattle Supersonics (W2): Chicago 4, Seattle 1
Game 1: Chicago 106, Seattle 93: Chicago leads 1-0
Game 2: Chicago 105, Seattle 98: Chicago leads 2-0
Game 3: Chicago 119, Seattle 88: Chicago leads 3-0
Game 4: Seattle 102, Chicago 99: Chicago leads 3-1 (Detlef Schrempf takes the lead with 20.6 seconds to go)
Game 5: Chicago 117, Seattle 113: Chicago wins 4-1

1995-96 NBA CHAMPIONS: chicago_bulls.png
FINALS MVP: Michael Jordan (CHI)

Last edited:
Michael and Scottie and the rest of the Bulls must have been slacking early on in the series against New York to let the Knicks put them down 2-0.