Base Maps from 550 BC to Modern Day, all in UCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dated at the 24th June 1948, at the start of the Berlin Blockade. In case anyone wants to do a TL with a POD around this time.

May need a bit of correcting, so feel free to do so.

- Smallwood Reservoir was not completed until 1974
- Brokopondo Reservoir was not completed until 1971
- The Aral Sea was a whole heck of a heap bigger
- Most of the Soviet reservoirs didn't exist
- The Zuiderzee was bigger
- Aswan High Dam didn't exist until 1971
- Norway dropped its claim to Erik the Red's Land 5th May 1933
- The Saar Protectorate was created 15th December 1947
- Inini was merged into French Guiana 19th March 1946
- Hyderabad State was independent of India until 17th September 1948
- Newfoundland was not transferred to Canada until 31st March 1949
- Italian Somaliland was under British occupation/administration until 21st November 1949
- The British annexation (and subsequent claims by other countries to) Rockall dates from 18th September 1955
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands were not transferred to Australia until 23rd November 1955
- The Federation of Malaya was not independent until 31st August 1957
- Christmas Island was not transferred to Australia until 1st October 1958
- Sikkim was an independent protectorate of India until 16th May 1975
- Nicaragua claimed San Andres, Providencia and Santa Catalina until 13th December 2007

VB0W8B9.png

This might be a dumb question, but what is the microstate in British protectorate color in Western Tibet? It looks to be around Mount Kailash.

This might be a dumb question, but what is the microstate in British protectorate color in Western Tibet? It looks to be around Mount Kailash.

My best guess would be Gartok/Garyarsa, a Tibetan town opened to British trade following the British expedition to Tibet, but why that town is shown and not Yadong and Gyantse, I do not know.

I've noticed that in the Napoleonic Wars map, the modern-day Yemen borders are shown, which shouldn't be, as Yemen didn't even exist at that time, let alone possessing its modern-day borders.

I've done my best to show the correct Middle East in this updated 1812 map.

1812-updated.png

1812-updated.png

They're further down, in the pre-1900 Map Dump.

We've got a fair number updated the globed map, but they're probably a year or two behind in terms of updates.

Onyx

Banned
They're further down, in the pre-1900 Map Dump.

We've got a fair number updated the globed map, but they're probably a year or two behind in terms of updates.

When are they going to make a new thread of updated maps? All of the ones on the first page are old, and honestly I really dont want to go through hundreds of pages finding at least three maps

When are they going to make a new thread of updated maps? All of the ones on the first page are old, and honestly I really dont want to go through hundreds of pages finding at least three maps

Problem is, we'd just have exactly the same problem in about a month anyway.

It be better to have at least new maps circa 2013 than later if you know what i mean

Let me put it this way

We currently have a few maps for 2013. There's some which I've updated to Dec 2012 which I'm pretty sure are still essentially up to date (though I'll need to remove Guantanamo as Iori's point makes absolute sense.)

We have a large number from 2011 which haven't been corrected to the Semmi revision and probably have some colour mistakes, and then everything else is essentially as is at the front of this thread.

And personally, I prefer a general reorg and unstickying anyway. The major problem there is that any discussion on a reorg tends to just fade away into the background. I might try setting up a poll to see if there's the support for that proposal.

- Nicaragua claimed San Andres, Providencia and Santa Catalina until 13th December 2007

On this point, I've just noticed that the claim wasn't actually put forward until the Sandanistas repudiated the original 1928 treaty in 1981 as being signed under American coertion, so it shouldn't actually be shown in the 40s etc.

So the exact situation should be:

1. 1639-1641: English controlled
2. 1641-1818: Spanish controlled
3. 1818-1822: Argentine controlled (it was captured by ships flying the Argentine flag and then used as a base to support the revolutionaries in Central America
4. 1822-1838/40: Gran Colombian controlled, claimed by the UPCA
5. 1838/40-1928: (Gran) Colombian controlled, claimed by Nicaragua
6. 1928-1981: Colombian controlled
7. 1981-Dec 13th 2007: Colombian controlled, claimed by Nicaragua
8. Dec 13th 2007-present: Colombian controlled.

EDIT: Also, I've very slightly tweaked the 'minor mexican' colour because it was a tad close to that of Ecuador, meaning it can be used for other Central American cases. New code is 105,22,58. Main reason being that it means that Cocos Island can be indicated as Costa Rican which isn't really obvious otherwise (though at least Ecuador having a colour makes it clearer than it would have been).

Last edited:
Further to some basemap updating for the Cold War- I'm planning on using the convention of: Dominion colouring until ratification of the Statute of Westminster, Dominion Outlining from then until establishment of Commonwealth Citizenship in 1949, and just national colour from that point.

The only possible issue here is that it basically removes all Dominion colouring in the 50s- for example for Pakistan. I don't think this is necesarily an issue, but I want to get some other responses.

Further to some basemap updating for the Cold War- I'm planning on using the convention of: Dominion colouring until ratification of the Statute of Westminster, Dominion Outlining from then until establishment of Commonwealth Citizenship in 1949, and just national colour from that point.

The only possible issue here is that it basically removes all Dominion colouring in the 50s- for example for Pakistan. I don't think this is necesarily an issue, but I want to get some other responses.

I'd say do it on individual cases, so Canada, Australia and New Zealand lose it then and any places that still have it continue on until whenever the situation changed there.

I'd say do it on individual cases, so Canada, Australia and New Zealand lose it then and any places that still have it continue on until whenever the situation changed there.

Well, South Africa's a bit tricky. It's more naturally grouped with those 3 and so should drop the outlining in 49, but then again you could make a good argument to continue to 61 in order to show the transition to Republic as with India and Pakistan.

Well, South Africa's a bit tricky. It's more naturally grouped with those 3 and so should drop the outlining in 49, but then again you could make a good argument to continue to 61 in order to show the transition to Republic as with India and Pakistan.

You may want to consider post 4272 from this thread, which discusses when dominion status declined. I would personally go for the London Declaration (28th April 1949), which created the modern Commonwealth of Nations, and allowed republics and indigenous monarchies to be members of the Commonwealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.