Anyone still play Victoria?

I can't play Vicky 2 because my laptop isn't really made for modern games.

Though, I haven't actually played Victoria 1 in a while. Though a few months ago I did conquer most of the Arabian Peninsula as Sweden.

Last edited:
I do, yes.

I tried Victoria 2, but after deciding it was one of the worst games I'd ever played, I went back to playing my heavily modded (mostly to add and correct things to make it more historically accurate) version of Victoria Revolutions.

I do, yes.

I tried Victoria 2, but after deciding it was one of the worst games I'd ever played, I went back to playing my heavily modded (mostly to add and correct things to make it more historically accurate) version of Victoria Revolutions.

What mod(s) do you use?

What mod(s) do you use?

Aside from that big Flag mod, I use my own, which include among other things;

-Revamp of political parties for half the countries.
-Additional countries, including Congo Free State and Sarawak.
-A large amount of demographic patches saved as seperate files so i can copy-paste them when or if I want to add them.

Their are of course not-mod stuff I do as well like going in as a country to forcefully divide it as a result of the game not doing it itself, specifically Central America and Haiti, and releasing the modded countries and other stuff.

I do, yes.

What's wrong with Victoria 2?

Nope.

Although i play Victoria II a lot less than Victoria I due to some major flaws in the game. The gameplay in Victoria I is just too dated for me to enjoy anymore tho. So i play neither now. Stick with me Darkest Hour and Crusader Kings II (and mostly non Paradox games).

If only someone could combine the two Victorias so i can play Russia's Great Game. >.<

I have no trouble running it on my system, what do you mean "you can't edit it", and how is it any less "boring" than the original - what does it to that is more "boring" than V1? It sounds like you're bashing it for the sake of bashing it.

As in political parties and such.

I like Victoria 1 because all the files are in seperate, easy to edit files with simple formats.

It's boring because you can't change things as easily and frankly I don't play historical games to be required to re-live history down to the exacts, forced to work in a hyper-realistic political system, I like V1 because you can change things relatively easily with the conaequences that go along with it, like being able to transition from an Absolute Monarchy to a Parliamentary Democracy without having to spend years in-game gradually reforming to it like in V2.

And I am not 'bashing it for the sake of bashing it', I was originaly looking forward to V2 and I eventualy got it and was thoroughly dissapointed after trying it out.

As in political parties and such.

I like Victoria 1 because all the files are in seperate, easy to edit files with simple formats.

It's boring because you can't change things as easily and frankly I don't play historical games to be required to re-live history down to the exacts, forced to work in a hyper-realistic political system, I like V1 because you can change things relatively easily with the conaequences that go along with it, like being able to transition from an Absolute Monarchy to a Parliamentary Democracy without having to spend years in-game gradually reforming to it like in V2.

And I am not 'bashing it for the sake of bashing it', I was originaly looking forward to V2 and I eventualy got it and was thoroughly dissapointed after trying it out.

Err? You can completely edit political parties. The game is just as, if not more, moddable than the original Victoria. They are still all separate files, and still easy to read. I'm not sure what game you're looking at that's complex to mod, because it's not V2 (unless you bought the Steam version, but that's comparing apples and oranges).

You can't gradually go from an Absolute Monarchy to a Parliamentary Democracy in V2, and you also can't directly go to it in V1. You can only go to a Constitutional Monarchy (with a Prussian Constitutionalism step in-between in V2). Both games require a revolution to go to a true democracy.

I just don't understand what you're disappointed in. It's fundamentally no different than Victoria 1, and is certainly no more difficult to mod (many things are easier to mod).

You can't gradually go from an Absolute Monarchy to a Parliamentary Democracy in V2, and you also can't directly go to it in V1. You can only go to a Constitutional Monarchy (with a Prussian Constitutionalism step in-between in V2). Both games require a revolution to go to a true democracy.

You can in V1 by simply setting all the political reforms to the most free setting, though I was meaning Parliamentary Constituional Monarchy rather than Republic.

I just don't understand what you're disappointed in. It's fundamentally no different than Victoria 1, and is certainly no more difficult to mod (many things are easier to mod).

While they did add some interesting new stuff, to me it's like the difference between a novel and a movie, with V1 being the novel and V2 the movie that, while adding some interesting things to the story, sacrificed a chunk of it for overdone special effects, which in this case would be the ridiculous level of zooming detail on all the layers of zoom.

Now don't get me wrong, detail is good, indeed one of the three big issues I have with V1 is that in some ways it's not detailed enough, like not including various islands and completely excluding several OTL countries just because they're samll (Andora, San Marino etc.), which incidentally I don't remember whether V2 included or not, but anyways, rather than doing what they did they should have made the globe itself more accurate, like including the entire arctic and Antarctica and all the small places that go left off in V1, not basically taking the V1 map and adding a bunch of layers of over-texturized hyper-detailing.

Last edited:
You can in V1 by simply setting all the political reforms to the most free setting, though I was meaning Parliamentary Constituional Monarchy rather than Republic.

While they did add some interesting new stuff, to me it's like the difference between a novel and a movie, with V1 being the novel and V2 the movie that, while adding some interesting things to the story, sacrificed a chunk of it for overdone special effects, which in this case would be the ridiculous level of zooming detail on all the layers of zoom.

Now don't get me wrong, detail is good, indeed one of the three big issues I have with V1 is that in some ways it's not detailed enough, like not including various isaldns and completely excluding several OTL countries just because they're samll (Andora, San Marino etc.), which incidentally I don't remember whether V2 included or not, but anyways, rather than doing what they did they should have made the globe itself more accurate, like including the entire arctic and Antarctica and all the small places that go left off in V1, not basically taking the V1 map and adding a bunch of layer of over-texturized hyper-detailing.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the Arctic and Antarctic would be, other than to take up space. The reason that they are excluded from Paradox games is simply that there is no useful purpose for them. Are you going to colonize and build factories in Antarctica?

I'm not sure what the purpose of the Arctic and Antarctic would be, other than to take up space. The reason that they are excluded from Paradox games is simply that there is no useful purpose for them. Are you going to colonize and build factories in Antarctica?

Both games take place from 1836-1936; The great exploration and initial claims to Antarctica happened in the 1890 to 1950 period, and since Victoria covers 3/5 of that time it ought to be added.

Likewise, the Canadian arctic and Greenland were host to several territorial disputes in the 1900-1935 timeframe which impacted the relations between some countries at the time and became important turning points in Canadian, Danish and Norwegian history.

Last edited:
Both games take place from the 1836-1936; The great exploration and initial claims to Antarctica happened in the 1890 to 1950 period, and since Victoria covers 3/5 of that time it ought to be added.

Likewise, the Canadian arctic and Greenland were host to several territorial disputes in the 1900-1935 timeframe which impacted the relations between some countries at the time and became importan turning points in Canadian, Danish and Norwegian history.

But those can and are represented as abstract events - no one is actually going to colonize those areas as it was beyond the technical capabilities of the time. Them existing doesn't add anything to the game that isn't already there.

I'd point out, however, that you can edit the map all you want. It's just a set of bitmap files.

But those can and are represented as abstract events - no one is actually going to colonize those areas as it was beyond the technical capabilities of the time. Them existing doesn't add anything to the game that isn't already there.

In the case of the Northern Arctic, they DID colonize them, admittedly they did'nt build towns in Northern Greenland or the Northernmosr Canadian Arctic, but they established bases and outposts and established Rule of Law in those places.

And it would be interesting if they included ridiculously small countries like Andorra and Monaco.

Overall, I think lots of tiny "sub-provinces" would be neat.

In the case of the Northern Arctic, they DID colonize them, admittedly they did'nt build towns in Northern Greenland or the Northernmosr Canadian Arctic, but they established bases and outposts and established Rule of Law in those places.

In a fashion that would be significant enough to represent in a grand strategy game?

And it would be interesting if they included ridiculously small countries like Andorra and Monaco.

Overall, I think lots of tiny "sub-provinces" would be neat.

I'm not sure if Vicky2 could handle it. One could try taking the HOI3 map and porting it to Vicky2. It may or may not work.

In a fashion that would be significant enough to represent in a grand strategy game?

Yes, and to some degree it's already done, afterall their are very few if any people actually living in most of the Sahara desert, but their are none-the-less provinces encompassing the uninhabited bits.

Yes, and to some degree it's already done, afterall their are very few if any people actually living in most of the Sahara desert, but their are none-the-less provinces encompassing the uninhabited bits.

Because they're surrounded by provinces where people are. The projection they chose for their maps make sense, as it makes the Earth appear the largest in the areas where people live.

Just for fun, I'm gonna see if I can patch the HOI3 map into Vicky2.