AHC: Nobel Prize for Vladimir Putin

If Putin makes a concerted effort at reconciliation with the EU and the US (as equal powers, of course, not as the sad joke of Yeltsin's Russia), I could see him winning the Nobel Peace Prize, or at least sharing it with another head of state.

Does this have a familiar Ring to it?

Barak Obama goes to Moscow to negotiate over the Crimea. He tells vladimir that world peace is important. He is after all a Nobel Laureate in that regard. He then shows his Nobel Peace Prize to Putin. Vladimir smiles puts on the medal and never gives it back

Barak Obama goes to Moscow to negotiate over the Crimea. He tells vladimir that world peace is important. He is after all a Nobel Laureate in that regard. He then shows his Nobel Peace Prize to Putin. Vladimir smiles puts on the medal and never gives it back

LOL! I was just going to suggest that Putin simply takes a Nobel Prize from somebody and claims that it was a "gift."

Fed up with a degenerate Western lifestyle, Putin makes its own Eurasian Nobel Prize.

Naturally he gets the first one.

In a world where you can get the Nobel Prize for doing pretty much nothing, Putin could get it somehow. :rolleyes:

I think your post is the best in the thread.

His education OTL was primarily in law, in case you are thinking of giving Putin a scientific prize.

Fed up with a degenerate Western lifestyle, Putin makes its own Eurasian Nobel Prize.

Naturally he gets the first one.

Given the history of the Nobel family, their business ventures in Russia and their connections to the Tsarist state this is not entirely impossible. Immanuel Nobel, Alfred's father, did design weapons of war for the Russians after all. Maybe it would be apt to name this alternate Nobel as the "The Russian Academy of Sciences Immanuel Nobel Prize for Advances in Military Technology"...;)

well if barack obama can cheat his way into getting one(what again did he do to deserve it?), so can putin.

i think after obama got it, the nobel peace prize pretty much lost its value.

well if barack obama can cheat his way into getting one(what again did he do to deserve it?), so can putin.

Agreed, what did Obama do to deserve it? Being the first Black man being elected to be the President of the US does not cut it! At that point of his presidency he could have done nothing to deserve it even if the were Ghandi, it was too early in his term to have accomplished ANYTHING!

Obama got his prize for the sole reason that he wasn't George Bush.

Really, this is it. From Wikipedia:

he Norwegian Nobel Committee announced the award on October 9, 2009, citing Obama's promotion of nuclear nonproliferation and a "new climate" in international relations fostered by Obama, especially in reaching out to the Muslim world

GRU agents swoop out of the darkness and kidnap the various members of the Nobel committee and forces them at gunpoint to vote for him to win the peace prize.

Putin determines that some of the gold in the medal came from Russia and the rest of the molecules are oppressing them. ;)

I don't think it's likely Putin wins a Nobel Prize.

Yep. It's still pretty dumb, but when the rest of the world sees things like this then it's more understandable:

Again, the numbers come from Pew, which has been asking people in key countries every year whether they have “confidence” in America’s president to “do the right thing in world affairs.” Obama’s popularity is down since 2009. Still, in Mexico and Argentina, the president’s 2013 numbers (the most recent we have) are 33 percentage points higher than Bush’s in 2008. In South Korea, the margin is 47 points. In Japan, it’s 45 points. In Brazil, it’s 52 points. In Britain, it’s 56 points. In France, it’s 70 points. In Germany, it’s 74 points.

In case you’re reading quickly, 74 points isn’t Obama’s approval rating in Germany. It’s the gap between his approval rating and Bush’s. In George W.’s final year in office, 14 percent of Germans had faith that the president of the United States would do the right thing internationally. Last year, 88 percent did.
(Note, it's comparing Bush in 2008 to Obama in 2013. Thus, these aren't honeymoon 2009 numbers for Obama).

Agreed, what did Obama do to deserve it? Being the first Black man being elected to be the President of the US does not cut it! At that point of his presidency he could have done nothing to deserve it even if the were Ghandi, it was too early in his term to have accomplished ANYTHING!
Speaking of which, it's a damn shame that Gandhi never won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Since the standard for getting the peace prize are apparently pretty easy now I'd say he could get the peace prize posthumously for accidentally falling and killing himself.