2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC.CO.UK/News
Monday October 10th 2016

Final campaigning ahead of "National Referendum day"

With three days to go until the "National Referendum day" on Thursday, campaigns for both questions have been pushing hard.

The final polls over the weekend see a large lead for "equal marriage" 70% to 30%, but on the second question on bringing back the death penalty for child killers and terrorists the result is basically a dead heat with not bringing it back ahead 51% to 49%.

Home Secretary Nigel Jay has been campaigning hard for "equal marriage" and has agreed to a one on one debate on Tuesday evening on BBC1 with Bishop of Sheffield the Rt Reverend Hugh Carver, who has been an outspoken critic of equal marriage from the Church of England.

BBC.CO.UK/News
Wednesday October 12th 2016

Home Secretary Jay & Bishop Carver clash in TV debate

Home Secretary Nigel Jay and the Bishop of Sheffield the Rt Reverend Hugh Carver went head to head in a TV debate ahead of the national referendum tomorrow

Jay who is gay said in his opening statement "love should not be bound by links to ancient texts" and " everyone should have the right to marry the person that they love, regardless if one of these people was of the same sex". Bishop Carver responded by saying "I have nothing against gays, I have some gay friends, many of whom are against gay marriage" adding "I am against it because it is against the word of God and the bible".

In his response Jay replied "You see Bishop, I am a little bit confused about the bible and marriage, where it says about marriage is only between a man and women, I know in Genesis 2:24, it does say Marriage is between a man and women, the nuclear family, but you see do you believe that marriage should be undertaken as laid down in that passage, because the description of marriage is pretty horrific, wives have to totally subordinate to their husbands, marriages between different faiths are banned, marriages should be arranged and not based on love and a bride who could not prove that she was a virgin would be stoned to death by her husband, so I ask Bishop is that sort of marriage that you promote".

The Bishop attempted to say that "the quotes were taken out of context" which Jay said "that's the point". The two men went onto clash over further bible interpretations of marriage, and that the bible permitted slavery as well.

Although the debate was primarily on the Equal marriage vote, the two men did take questions of the bringing back the death penalty of child killers and terrorism, with Jay saying "It is deeply personal decision, I See the arguments on both sides" adding that "I have not made up my mind yet", Bishop Carver said again that "the state has no right to take life, only God has that right" to which Jay interrupted "hold on a minute, Bishop what about an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, what about killing people for working on the Sabbath" again Carver claimed that Jay "was twisted his words and those of the bible".

The debate provoked a large response especially on Social Media with most claiming a large victory for Jay, and praise for his performance, a message left on the BBC News website said " I am gay, I have never voted Tory in my life, but that was a tour de force performance from Jay tonight, he turned the Bishop's use of the bible against him brilliantly and showed that most of the Church's opposition is based on homophobia, hidden behind the cloak of the bible".

Last edited:
BBC.CO.UK/News
Thursday October 13th 2016

Voting underway in two national referendum's

Voting is underway in the first National Referendum since 1975, on two questions, regarding "Equal Marriage" and the "death penalty".

Voting started at 7.00 am and the polls remain open until 22.00 pm this evening.

Both results are expected during the early hours of Friday morning.

upload_2016-8-29_15-54-25-png.285399

Governor Daniels caught calling his opponent a "whack job"

Democratic Governor of Minnesota Jarod Daniels has been caught on a live mic this morning calling his Republican opponent State Senator Glen Addison a "whack job".

The remark was made after Daniels had finished a satellite interview with NBS from St Paul with the NBS News Centre in New York, he clearly forgot that the mic was still on, as he spoke to his own staff member "Don't see why I have to be campaigning at all, I should be twenty points clear against this whack job Addison".

No-one from the either the Daniels or Addison campaigns has yet to respond.

Last edited:
BBC.CO.UK/Politics

National Referendum Latest:

Polls closed at 10.00 PM

No Exit Polls conducted by News Organisations

Campaign for Equal Marriage "Very Confident of Victory" in Equal Marriage vote

BBC understands turn out has been higher than hoped.

Vote on return of the death penalty for certain offences believed to be "very close"

Both results expected by early morning

BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Friday October 14th 2016

Breaking News:

Newcastle votes for "Equal Marriage" & for "Return of death penalty"

Equal Marriage: 72% to 28%
Death Penalty: 51% to 49%

BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Friday October 14th 2016

Breaking News:

Sunderland votes for "Equal Marriage" & for "Return of death penalty"

Equal Marriage: 70% to 30%
Death Penalty: 52% to 48%

BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Friday October 14th 2016

Equal Marriage wins 73% to 27%
Return of the death penalty for Child Killer offences & terrorism rejected by 50.5% to 49.5%

Equal Marriage was accepted by the voters yesterday in the Nationwide referendum. It was a deceivise win for the "Equal Campaign" with over 73% of the voters voting for it and 27% against. The Victory was proclaimed around 1.30 am for the equal campaign, when it was clear by the early results, that it was going to pass easily.

Home Secretary Nigel Jay, who has been fronting the Equal campaign called it a "great day for equality & freedom" whilst the the Bishop of Sheffield the Rt Reverend Hugh Carver conceded defeat, but said he was "not giving up the fight against the word of god and the bible" and vowed to fight the decision "in the House of Lords, in the Supreme Court" adding "this isn't over, the fight is just beginning".

The Equal campaign have called the Bishops speech "nasty, spiteful" and the "words of a sore loser".

As expected the vote of the return of the death penalty was far closer, but the final result was a declared just 8.00 am this morning, a margin of just 1%.

BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Monday October 17th 2016

Jay & Duggan favourites to be next Conservative Leader

A new poll suggests that Home Secretary Nigel Jay and Business Secretary Michael Duggan are the clear front runners to be the next Conservative Leader.

Jay, who has denied that he wants to be Leader, and many believe that he wants to be Mayor of London, never the less has had his chances enhanced by his performance in the "equal marriage" referendum. Duggan ran for the Leadership against Richard Samuels and John Freeman last year, and many believe at the time, he was pointing down a marker for next time. Duggan did better than many believed that he would, still getting over 38% of the vote of the party membership.

A poll for the BBC carried out of voters, show it to be a clear two man race.
  1. Nigel Jay 44%
  2. Michael Duggan 41%
  3. William Morgan 10%
  4. Kevin Grimes 4%
  5. Others 1%

BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Monday October 17th 2016

No Government reshuffle until early 2017

Number Ten has confirmed that there will be no Government reshuffle until early 2017. It had been expected that Richard Samuels would reshuffle his Government after the National referendum's last Thursday.

It had been rumoured that Foreign Secretary Fiona Wallace who had only been in the job since February was going to be sacked, but with the situation in Qumar ongoing, it seems the Prime-Minister has decided against any changes for at least the next two and half months.

It is widely believed that the reshuffle when it comes will be the final one prior to any General Election which is required by early November 2018.

Fundraising e-mail sent-out today by retiring Arizona Senator Matt Hunt

Dear Friend

As you know I am retiring from the Senate after Five terms. Although I am retiring it does mean that I no longer care about the Republican Party and the Senate. We need to do all we can win back those vital seats and prevent Arthur Breech continuing with his ultra-liberal agenda.

Not only do we need to win back those key seats in the likes of Iowa, North Carolina, Ohio and South Carolina, we must hold onto my seat in the Senate.

It has been targeted by the Democrats and we must NOT let them win this seat.

As a personal favor to me, will you consider chipping in $10, $25, $50 or whatever you can right now to support Jason Rios?

Jason is exactly the kind of Republican we need in Washington and we can be sure that he'll always make us proud.

Friend, I know the fundraising emails get annoying but this is important. Please consider making a generous contribution right now to help ensure that Jason wins and we can win back our majority in the Senate. I would hate to see us win other Seats but lose Arizona and our chance of winning back control.

We're just three weeks away from Election Day. Please consider chipping in to ensure Jason's victory! An online donation is the fastest way to support his campaign and will help ensure they have the funds they need to run a winning campaign against his opponent, ultra liberal Congressman Antonio Rodrigues.

Thank you for all that you're doing for our Republican candidates.

Sincerely,

Senator Matt Hunt

Tuesday October 18th 2016
Three weeks to election Day Polls
Gubernatorial Polls
Alaska

Cathy Gardener (R) 54%
Wes Tompkins (D) 42%
Grayson Heath (AI) 4%
Arkansas
Carol-Anne Slater (R) 58%
Jack Griffith jnr (D) 42%
Delaware
Declan Molloy (D) 50%
Tom Landis (R) 50%
Florida
James Ritchie (R) 55%
Max Moreno (D) 45%
Idaho
David Arkin (R) 66%
Simon Hill (D) 34%
Illinois
Barry Jameson (D) 51%
Teddy Hart (R) 49%
Kansas
Peter Gault (R) 60%
Troy Finlay (D) 40%
Maine
Paris Stray (D) 62%
Eli Taylor (R) 38%
Maryland
Owen Wells (R) 51%
Andrew Fitzpatrick (D) 49%
Minnesota
Jarod Daniels (D) 50%
Glenn Addison (R) 50%
Missouri
Lucas Foley (R) 50%
Bobby Lorbacher (D) 50%
Nebraska
Ben Lane (R) 67%
Philippa Haig (D) 33%
North Dakota
Jamie Muller (R) 68%
Herman Hasler (D) 32%
Oklahoma
Katherine Williams (R) 50%
Rob Kenny (D) 50%
Pennsylvania
Morgan Mitchell (R) 60%
Andy Baker (D) 40%
Rhode Island
Leon Stansberry (D) 51%
Martha Atkinson (R) 49%
Texas
Andrew Long (I) 35%
Adam de Haan (R) 33%
Ralph Gomez (D) 32%
Utah
John Elderton (R) 70%
Sophie Butcher (D) 30%
Washington
Sean Boone (R) 50%
Michelle Grissom (D) 50%
West Virginia
Ray Sullivan (R) 51%
Chuck Black (D) 49%
Wyoming
Simon Watts (R) 71%
Matt Ross (D) 29%

Tuesday October 18th 2016
Three weeks to election Day Polls
Senate Polls
Alabama

Alan Garland (R) 75%
Simon Wiseman (D) 25%
Alaska
Sarah Wheeler (R) 58%
John Bell (D) 37%
Jim Haskins (AI) 5%
Arizona
Antino Rodrigues (D) 50%
Jason Rios (R) 5O%
Arkansas
Fletcher Carey (R) 58%
Bobby Rimmer (D) 42%
California
Sam Seaborn (D) 71%
Jarrod Grvaes (R) 29%
Colorado
Carlos Cabrera (R) 53%
Camille Aubry (D) 47%
Connecticut
Chris Casey (D) 60%
Louise Northman-Page (R) 40%
Hawaii
David Kuhio (D) 74%
Louis Cassisy (R) 22%
Jack Donaldson (HI) 4%
Idaho
Clark Gibson (R) 73%
Mal Barber (D) 27%
Illinois
Alex Sweeney (D) 51%
Jasper Irving (R) 48%
Indiana
Damon Matteo (D) 50%
Gibson Carluke (R) 50%
Iowa
Bryce Bradley (R) 54%
Rod Kasey (D) 46%
Kansas
Sam Wilkinson (R) 71%
Adam Reeves (D) 29%
Kentucky
James Lancaster (R) 69%
Jack Lucas (D) 31%
Louisiana
David Morrison (R) 71%
Martin Davies (D) 29%
Maryland
Joe Derrick (D) 54%
Dan Kalmbach (R) 46%
Michigan
Randall Thomas (R) 57%
David Marsh (D) 43%
Missouri
Laura Shallick (R) 66%
Larry Byrne (D) 34%
Nevada
Matthew Spencer (D) 52%
Jay Cano (R) 48%
New Hampshire
Ellie Wilkins (R) 52%
Scott Larkin (D) 48%
New York
Tim Burrell (D) 62%
Jay Cruger (R) 38%
North Carolina
Barbara Layton (R) 51%
Brett Logan (D) 49%
North Dakota
Matt Chantler (R) 51%
Harry Conroy (D) 49%
Ohio
Ruth Norton-Stewart (R) 52%
Justin Willis (D) 48%
Oklahoma
Robert Roanoke (R) 75%
Vincent Hughes (D) 25%
Oregon
Robert Greys (D) 56%
David Grant (R) 44%
Pennsylvania
Matt Clausen (D) 52%
Travis Hoyt (R) 48%
South Carolina
Tim McCord (D) 50%
Brad Maxwell (R) 50%
South Dakota
Robin Fulton (R) 68%
Dennis Suggett (D) 32%
Utah
Marc Elderton (R) 70%
Mary Stiles (D) 30%
Vermont
Marietta Nerlinger (D) 61%
Matt Skinner (R) 35%
Oswald Pollock (MP) 4%
Washington
Andrew Howard (D) 76%
Kathy Price (R) 24%
Wisconsin
James Clarke (R) 53%
Marty McNeith (D) 47%

Senate Update
Based on current Polls three weeks from Election Day here is where we stand:

Republican Gains
  1. Colorado
  2. Iowa
  3. New Hampshire
  4. North Carolina
  5. North Dakota
  6. Ohio (Moved from Toss-up)
  7. Wisconsin
Democratic Gains

1. Maryland
  2. Nevada
  3. New York
  4. Pennsylvania
  5. Vermont

Dead heat Toss-ups
  1. Arizona (Moved from Dem Gain)
  2. Indiana
  3. South Carolina

Friday October 21st 2016

Gomez stumbles badly in second Texas gubernatorial debate, as Long and de Haan pull clear

It was widely agreed by everyone, that Independent Andrew Long won the first debate, two and half weeks ago, with Republican Adam de Haan and Democrat Ralph Gomez, last night the three men faced up to each other for the re-match.

The format was "Town Hall" style, and it seemed to suit Adam de Haan far better, he walked around the stage, and answered well, as did Long once again, although most pundits believe he did not match his performance of the first debate. The clear loser again seemed to be Democrat Gomez, who stumbled on his answers especially on how if elected he work would work with a Republican Lt Governor( Lt Governors are elected on a separate ticket in Texas and Kurt Clark (the nephew of the Vice-President, holds a thirty point led over Chase Peters, the Democrat), he seemed to forget that point. He was also caught doing that famous "no-no" during a Town Hall debate, looking at his watch on three occasions.

Long hit back at the attacks on his business record made by the Republicans, although as de Haan said not by him personally, although when Long asked him to do so, he refused to disown the attacks. Long said that he would happily work with a Republican Lt Governor.

It now looks likely that Gomez's hopes of winning are fading fast, and it now seems to be a two horse race between Long and de Haan.

It was also interesting that Independent Governor of New Mexico Rudi Vansen, Independent senator John Roscoe of Minnesota, and last years independent gubernatorial candidate in Kentucky Leo George, where all in the audience, supporting Mr Long.

Saturday October 22nd 2016

Wilkins performs well in New Hampshire Senate debate

The former First Lady of the granite state, Ellie Wilkins performed well in the only live TV debate on Friday evening with the Democratic incumbent, Senator Scott Larkin who is seeking a second term.Wilkins who holds a four point lead in most of the polls for the last three months, needed a strong performance to preserve that lead and build on it, and that she did, agreed by most pundits watching.

Wilkins who ran for Governor and lost two years ago, was far more measured, focused and actually funny in places than she was against Elizabeth Bartlet in 2014. Asked what she learned after her defeat, and why the people of New Hampshire should vote for her now, when they didn't for Governor she replied "I am a better candidate, I have listened to the people, Republicans, Independents and yes, Democrats". She was also far less aggressive in attacking Senator Larkin than she was with Liz Bartlet, but used a neat line of attack when he tried to paint her with no experience "I like it when you go on about experience, Senator. You see most of my fellow Republicans running for a senate Seat against a Democratic incumbent, can attack their opponents record, the problem with you Senator, is that you have no record to attack, no votes for me to complain about, you have done nothing. The record for those Senators elected in 2010, you have the worst attendance record of either party, and you have the worst of any of the Senators by percentage. If that's your much touted experience, I think the people of New Hampshire can do without that type of experience, don't you".

She also cited a joke about Senator Larkin, by his fellow Democratic Senators "there is a joke going around with Senate Democrats, it goes like this, a empty cab pulled up outside the Senate, and Senator Larkin got out" which brought laughter from the audience. Larkin replied "that's un-called for, and un-fair" to which Wilkins struck back "no Senator it isn't I will tell what is unfair, being paid to a do job for the voters of New Hampshire, taking that money and totally failing to do it".

The debate focused on New Hampshire's educational record, gun control, Health Care, but the debate focused mostly on Senator Larkin's record, with Wilkins quoting President Bartlet about Senator Larkin in her closing statement "President Bartlet, once said, decisions are made by those who show up, well Senator Larkin has failed to make any decisions and has failed to show up for six years, I trust the people of New Hampshire, to make the right choice on November 8th".

Last edited:

Monday October 24th 2016

Riley steps up the campaign as the fight for the Senate enters the final two weeks

Senate Minority Leader Cody Riley has been stepping up his campaign with a whistle top tour of the key battleground states as the fight for the Senate enters the final two weeks.

Riley had been coming under fire from some senior Republicans in private that he had not been campaigning enough personally for Senate some candidates, but this weekend he struck out on the campaign trail with the polls showing the fight for control of the Senate on a knife edge.

On Friday evening he was in Concord, New Hampshire for the Senate debate between Ellie Wilkins and Scott Larkin. On Saturday he was in Michigan for a breakfast rally for incumbent Republican Randell Thomas before a trip to Wisconsin in support of State Majority Leader James Clarke who is trying to unseat Democratic incumbent Marty McNeith, then it was down into Illinois for a question and answer session with Congressman Jasper Irving, before ending the day in Indiana at a rally with Gibson Carluke.

On Sunday he started in Ohio with Congresswomen Ruth Norton-Stewart who has seen polling numbers improving in the last few weeks in the fight to win the seat left by the retirement of Hayden Straus, it was then onto Pennsylvania where he took in the NFL game at the Philadelphia Eagles with Governor Morgan Mitchell and Senate candidate Travis Holt. He finished the day by flying to North Carolina to speak at a rally for Congresswomen Barbara Layton.

Riley told NBS in North Carolina "I think we are going to win in two weeks time, we have some really excellent candidates, but this fight is going to come down to a few thousand votes in a few key states, I ask the voters in those states to trust me to end the ultra liberal agenda of Arthur Breech and restore some common sense Conservative Republican principles to the Senate".

Cody Riley welcomed onto the stage for a rally with Congresswomen Layton in North Carolina on Sunday evening.

(photo by Wil Wheaton)

Last edited:
BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Wednesday October 26th 2016

Breaking News Breaking News

Liberal Democrats Former Leader Emma Dean to resign as MP for Cambridge to take over as Head of Oxfam UK

Emma Dean, the Former Leader of the Liberal Democrats (July 2011 to December 2012) has resigned as an MP to take over as the Head of Oxfam UK.

This will trigger a by-election within the next few weeks, Dean held her Cambridge seat at the November 2013 General Election with a majority of 5,138 over the Conservatives, with Labour in third place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.