2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
NBS.COM
Friday August 26th 2016

Olympics to get underway with "heightened" security

The 2016 Olympic games get underway today in Chicago, Illinois with increased security measures in place due to the ongoing situation in Qumar.

Although there has been no direct threat to the games or the opening ceremony tonight, high level security measures have been put in place, especially with President Walken due at the opening ceremony tonight.

NBS Election Night 2016 Logo.jpg

NBS Election Night Logo

NBS.COM
Monday August 29th 2016

US, China & UK warn Iran over continued advance in Qumar

The United States, China and the United Kingdom have released a joint statement warning Iran over it's continued advance in Qumar. On Sunday Iran announced the Qumar was now once "again part of a greater Iran".

"The statement yesterday regards Qumar from Iran is unacceptable, Qumar is a sovereign state, it is a member of the United Nations, and we will protect that status". The warning comes as the two Generals formally loyal to the Sultan have given their support for the forces led by former Prime-Minister Zuben Ahmed. The Sultan who is still in exile in the UEA, is still resisting attempts by the United States for him to abdicate from the throne.

Last edited:
upload_2016-8-29_15-54-25-png.285399

Wednesday August 31st 2016

VP Clark hitting the Senate & Gubernatorial battlegrounds

Vice-President Elizabeth Clark will be campaigning in some of the key Senate & Gubernatorial battleground states in the coming days. She seems determined to raise her profile and hopefully gain support from key state officials, putting in the groundwork ahead on what now likes an almost certain Presidential run in 2018.

On Thursday she will be with retiring Senator Matt Hunt supporting the Republican candidate Jason Rios who is in virtual deadheat with Congressman Antonio Rodrigues.

On Friday she heads to Colorado and will speak at a rally for Carlos Cabrera in his efforts to unseat Senator Camille Aubry. On Saturday she will be in Oklahoma with Lt Governor Kathrine Williams who is in a surprisingly tight race against the former Navy Seal Rob Kenny. She finishes her mini-road trip in Arkansas on Sunday at a joint rally for Governor Carol -Anne Slater and Senator Fletcher Carey, both whom are up for re-election.

Well, I wish I'd known this existed eight years ago. Congrats to all for steering through such a massive project...

I won't jump in now, given 449 pages of 'stuff' to take into account, but I'd love, Mark, to ask you a few questions about what you've learned doing this, and why certain decisions and courses of action were followed.

Well, I wish I'd known this existed eight years ago. Congrats to all for steering through such a massive project...

I won't jump in now, given 449 pages of 'stuff' to take into account, but I'd love, Mark, to ask you a few questions about what you've learned doing this, and why certain decisions and courses of action were followed.
Please do, happy to answer any questions. Best if you private message me though.

Having spoken to Mark and seen how their are plans for this thing to continue until the 2034 Robo-Walken vs Ellie Bartlett campaign, I will jump in now... planting a seed or two for down the track.

September 5th 2016
San Francisco

San Francisco Chronicle

After a few days of mild rumours, sources close to media billionaire, Mark Fucher, has booked out conference facilities at the Hyatt for Thursday, September 8th. At first it was believed that this was a business matter, related to the purported merger of his successful social media network, Lifehouse, with Time-Warner, but it is now likely that the reclusive Fucher, 53, has some political ambition. Recent FEC filings suggest he has been placing many of his assets, including his various cable, print and radio operations, into a trust vehicle, which would be a necessary adjunct to any kind of serious political move.

His sister, Ellen Fucher, has been a regular contributor to Sam Seaborn's campaigns in California, but it is not known exactly what leanings Mark Fucher has. A prolific donor to international charities, Fucher is known to be very close to Frank Hollis, and an admirer of the kind of philanthropic one-issue endeavour he is known to support. Last seen in front of the cameras during 2013 Senate hearings into monopolistic concerns with the media, Fucher came across as more left than right, and yet more authoritarian when it comes to some key rights issues than one would expect from a liberal. His line (when speaking about the heavy moderation employed on the Lifehouse platform, often described as censorship) "it's not free speech, I pay out millions every day to keep Lifehouse running" was widely criticised at the time for implying a view that free speech was a commodity like anything else.

The Chronicle reached out to several long-standing Lifehouse employee contacts, but none of them has been able to elaborate on the likely subject for Thursday's announcements. We'll have to wait and see.

More OOC: Having seen a few guys dive in like this, and end up tangled up on internal consistency or falling over future plans, my goal in introducing this are to (i) play around with some third-party stuff and (ii) to get some stuff going over campaign finance and the influence of money on politics. I have no idea where the concept of a billionaire self-financing his ability to speak louder than political parties comes from...

Last edited:

Tuesday September 6th 2016
Gubernatorial Polls
Alaska

Cathy Gardener (R) 54%
Wes Tompkins (D) 42%
Grayson Heath (AI) 4%
Arkansas
Carol-Anne Slater (R) 58%
Jack Griffith jnr (D) 42%
Delaware
Declan Molloy (D) 51%
Tom Landis (R) 49%
Florida
James Ritchie (R) 52%
Max Moreno (D) 48%
Idaho
David Arkin (R) 62%
Simon Hill (D) 38%
Illinois
Barry Jameson (D) 53%
Teddy Hart (R) 47%
Kansas
Peter Gault (R) 55%
Troy Finlay (D) 45%
Maine
Paris Stray (D) 59%
Eli Taylor (R) 41%
Maryland
Owen Wells (R) 51%
Andrew Fitzpatrick (D) 49%
Minnesota
Jarod Daniels (D) 51%
Glenn Addison (R) 49%
Missouri
Lucas Foley (R) 51%
Bobby Lorbacher (D) 49%
Nebraska
Ben Lane (R) 64%
Philippa Haig (D) 36%
North Dakota
Jamie Muller (R) 65%
Herman Hasler (D) 35%
Oklahoma
Katherine Williams (R) 51%
Rob Kenny (D) 49%
Pennsylvania
Morgan Mitchell (R) 59%
Andy Baker (D) 41%
Rhode Island
Leon Stansberry (D) 51%
Martha Atkinson (R) 49%
Texas
Adam De Haan (R) 38%
Andrew Long (I) 32%
Ralph Gomez (D) 30%
Utah
John Elderton (R) 70%
Sophie Butcher (D) 30%
Washington
Sean Boone (R) 50%
Michelle Grissom (D) 50%
West Virginia
Ray Sullivan (R) 55%
Chuck Black (D) 45%
Wyoming
Simon Watts (R) 68%
Matt Ross (D) 32%

Tuesday September 6th 2016
Senate Polls
Alabama

Alan Garland (R) 75%
Simon Wiseman (D) 25%
Alaska
Sarah Wheeler (R) 58%
John Bell (D) 37%
Jim Haskins (AI) 5%
Arizona
Antino Rodrigues (D) 51%
Jason Rios (R) 49%
Arkansas
Fletcher Carey (R) 57%
Bobby Rimmer (D) 43%
California
Sam Seaborn (D) 70%
Jarrod Grvaes (R) 30%
Colorado
Carlos Cabrera (R) 52%
Camille Aubry (D) 48%
Connecticut
Chris Casey (D) 60%
Louise Northman-Page (R) 40%
Hawaii
David Kuhio (D) 74%
Louis Cassisy (R) 22%
Jack Donaldson (HI) 4%
Idaho
Clark Gibson (R) 71%
Mal Barber (D) 29%
Illinois
Alex Sweeney (D) 51%
Jasper Irving (R) 48%
Indiana
Damon Matteo (D) 50%
Gibson Carluke (R) 50%
Iowa
Bryce Bradley (R) 54%
Rod Kasey (D) 46%
Kansas
Sam Wilkinson (R) 70%
Adam Reeves (D) 30%
Kentucky
James Lancaster (R) 69%
Jack Lucas (D) 31%
Louisiana
David Morrison (R) 71%
Martin Davies (D) 29%
Maryland
Joe Derrick (D) 52%
Dan Kalmbach (R) 48%
Michigan
Randall Thomas (R) 55%
David Marsh (D) 45%
Missouri
Laura Shallick (R) 65%
Larry Byrne (D) 35%
Nevada
Matthew Spencer (D) 51%
Jay Cano (R) 49%
New Hampshire
Ellie Wilkins (R) 52%
Scott Larkin (D) 48%
New York
Tim Burrell (D) 60%
Jay Cruger (R) 40%
North Carolina
Barbara Layton (R) 51%
Brett Logan (D) 49%
North Dakota
Matt Chantler (R) 51%
Harry Conroy (D) 49%
Ohio
Justin Willis (D) 50%
Ruth Norton-Stewart (R) 50%
Oklahoma
Robert Roanoke (R) 70%
Vincent Hughes (D) 30%
Oregon
Robert Greys (D) 56%
David Grant (R) 44%
Pennsylvania
Matt Clausen (D) 51%
Travis Hoyt (R) 49%
South Carolina
Tim McCord (D) 50%
Brad Maxwell (R) 50%
South Dakota
Robin Fulton (R) 62%
Dennis Suggett (D) 38%
Utah
Marc Elderton (R) 70%
Mary Stiles (D) 30%
Vermont
Marietta Nerlinger (D) 61%
Matt Skinner (R) 35%
Oswald Pollock (MP) 4%
Washington
Andrew Howard (D) 75%
Kathy Price (R) 25%
Wisconsin
James Clarke (R) 54%
Marty McNeith (D) 46%

Senate Update
Based on current Polls here is where we stand:

Republican Gains
  1. Colorado
  2. Iowa
  3. New Hampshire
  4. North Carolina
  5. North Dakota
  6. Wisconsin
Democratic Gains
  1. Arizona
  2. Maryland
  3. Nevada
  4. New York
  5. Pennsylvania
  6. Vermont
Dead heat Toss-ups
  1. Indiana
  2. Ohio
  3. South Carolina

BBC.COM/NEWS/

September 7th, 2016

China sets deadline for military intervention in Qumar.

Beijing: A spokesman for President Qian stated today that the People's Republic of China is planning to begin ground operations within the next few days. "We have asked Tehran to halt all troop movement and would like to see their forces either freeze at locations as of today or retreat. In 48 hours We shall start ground operations in Qumar and plan to put a force of 120 thousand troops in Qumar to protect our oil interests and destroy the Bahji."

The spokesman said the Government was quite surprised by the invasion of Qumar by Iran. "We did not have any inkling that they would take this action. We are still upset with Iran but as our two nations are friends we are working an arrangement out. We are confident the Iranians can be swayed to understand that our interests are shared. We both despise the Bahji and intend to show them the same the same mercy they gave to the late Xi Yang, a father and soon to be grandfather. He was the man they decapitated. We shall show them that level of mercy. They (the Bahji) will soon realize the error they have made by enraging China. They threaten our economy and murder our people, such actions will not be tolerated. We have informed the United States, Russia, Japan, many Middle Eastern nations, the U.K., France, and other countries. The US has stated its reservations to Chinese troops in the Middle East, we shall protect our oil interests and not be blackmailed "

The spokesman than stated that President Qian is meeting with military leaders to discuss this operations in Qumar. But in 48 hours operations shall begin.

September 8th 2016
San Francisco

San Francisco Chronicle

In front of a small scrimmage of media observers, billionaire Mark Fucher stood up on a small dais in a conference room at the San Francisco Hyatt and announced... what exactly?

Let's start off by saying what it wasn't, in Fucher's own words: "Contrary to some rumours, I am not announcing my candidacy for President of the United States of America, not as a Democrat, not as a Republican, and not as any kind of third-party candidate." Why not? "I'm not sure I'm qualified enough, and I am sure I'm not handsome enough." Well, that's clear then.

Instead, Fucher, 53, announced the creation of what sounds like a Super PAC, although he was careful not to call it one. Instead, he referred to a single-issue political think-tank backed by a well-resourced financial foundation. That was so vague that the journalists present struggled to find a way to ask "what's one of those?".

What it seemed Fucher was announcing was a political campaign to finance candidates who would commit, without reservation, to campaign finance reform. So, in essence, he was announcing that he was about to spend a vast amount of money to find candidates who would work at federal and state levels to take money out of politics. The irony (some might call it hypocrisy) of this had not escaped Fucher. "I am proposing changes to electoral law that would make it impossible for corporations or rich individuals like me to have undue influence over the election of public officials in this country."

The vehicle for that, he suggested, would be to find individuals to pursue both the Presidency in 2018, and members of Congress from that same election, who would commit, whole-hearted to a platform of finance reform. And this is where it got interesting. A German journalist asked if that meant the chosen candidates would only be allowed to speak about campaign finance. Fucher said no. "The people we back will come from many different parts of the political spectrum. They will have differing views on almost every other issue affecting our country, from the budget, to foreign policy, to employment. But they will put this vital issue, one that is fundamental to everything else, front and centre in their campaigns. Everything we do as Americans depends on the successful operation of our democracy; that democracy cannot be successful while there are obscene amounts of money spent on buying elections. This campaign will seek to make a fundamental change in how elections are run."

So, he could see his foundation backing either a democratic or a republican candidate for President? "Yes. Ideally, long before the primary season, we will have identified candidates we can back in both the major parties, and possibly from independent backgrounds, who we can back." Did he have people in mind? "We do. But discussions are at a very early stage." And what if there was a strong Republican and a strong Democrat who agreed with his campaign? Could he back both? "That would be nice."

Fucher took questions from the confused press pack for about forty minutes. Very few of his answers added much precision, though he did announce that his campaign would be opening offices in Washington DC and San Francisco in the next weeks, and would be staffing those with 'key' personnel over the next few months. He was asked about several names of potential candidates, and the name of Sam Seaborn was prominent in a number of those questions. Fucher batted them all away: "I'm not going to talk about specific people at this time. For now, the campaign is just me and my staff. But we will have news about high-profile staff appointments and then candidates we will back in due course."

Just to show how confused this press conference was, Fucher was asked what the name of the campaign was, and even that appeared to be uncertain. "The really great names have been taken," he quipped. The Foundation would be called the Free The Vote Foundation; he admitted that wasn't a snappy campaigning label. "We have considered calling it the Campaign For Democratic Freedom" he suggested. One of my colleagues suggested that this sounded like the campaign would lean more towards the Democrats than the Republicans. "Right now, our goal is to find the best individuals." Would a successful candidate have to leave their current party affiliation? "Not for our sake. They could continue as a Democrat, a Republican or an Independent, but with our endorsement and backing." So, Sam Seaborn (D/CDF), perhaps?

The campaign doesn't have a name, but it does have a hashtag: #Can'tBuyMyVote. Fucher announced that the campaign would be largely visible on social media to begin with. At least that's something he does understand.

Thursday September 8th 2016

Two months to go and Senate Battleground narrows

The fight for control of the United States has basically narrowed now to just eight key races. The NBS polls released two days ago show both parties poised to make six gains each, with three races where the Republicans are trying to take a currently Democratic seat (Indiana, South Carolina and Ohio) dead heats.

Senate Minority Leader Cody Riley held an all day campaign strategy meeting on Wednesday with key officials and the head of RNC Jeff Haffley. In the six states in which the Republicans are currently ahead, we understand the only one the Republicans believe is going to be a toss-up is North Dakota with Matt Chantler attempting unseat the Democrats number two man in the Senate, Harry Conroy. The other five states ( Iowa, North Carolina, Colorado, New Hampshire and Wisconsin) they believe barring a late swing they will win. In the Republican held seats which show a Democratic ahead, the Republican have privately given up on any chance of holding onto Maryland, New York and Vermont, leaving three in play, Pennsylvania, Arizona and Nevada, all of which have a open seat held by a retiring Republican.

The three current dead heat races in the polls, Indiana, South Carolina and Ohio have a Republican attempting to win back the seat lost in 2010. Only Ohio is an open seat with Hayden Strauss retiring after just a single term. One suspects that the Republicans will be throwing everything thing they have into the those three states in the coming two months.

The Republicans have given up pretty much all hope of winning in Illinois (the second Dem held open seat after Ohio) although Congressman Jasper Irving is only four points behind Alex Sweeney. To win back control Riley has to hold the six states he currently looks like winning, plus if they do win all the three dead heat states that would give them fifty states, the Democrats forty nine with the one independent John Roscoe in Minnesota effectively holding the balance of power. Hence why the Republicans have been trying to tempt Roscoe back into his old party.

A key source with the RNC told NBS "We think we can still win back the Senate, but it is going to come down to just a few thousand votes, in some key districts in eight states, it is going to be real cliff-hanger on November 8th".

Last edited:
ACN.COM

September 9th, 2016

China has begun its ground intervention in Qumar

Beijing: The Minister of Defense, General Song Weimin has announced that at One AM Qumar Time. Elements of the 15th Airborne Corps landed in Qumar. The Chinese have also confirmed that Iran will allow their troops to enter Qumar by going through Iran from Pakistan. The Defense Minister stated that is all he could reveal for operational safety of their men.

Reuters
September 12th 2016

The White House has announced that President Walken will be visiting Australia and New Zealand next month, in a trip designed to "reaffirm ties with regional allies". No trade or other talks are to be scheduled, with the site House placing its emphasis on a desire to meet with leaders in both countries, to listen and offer support.

It is unlikely to be coincidental that this visit is announced when China is making its global presence ever more obvious in Qumar. Additional stops may be added to the schedule, with India in particular sending out quite alarmed diplomatic signals in the last 24 hours.

Reuters
September 13th 2016

Signs that the Chinese intervention in Qumar may have wider global repercussions grew today when the Indian Minister of External Affairs, Dr Arun Singh, who is in New York to speak at a meeting of the United Nations General Council, spoke of "regional tensions and imbalances" caused by the presence of Chinese military forces in the Arabian Sea. "It is important to recognise that whatever temporary exigencies cause an alteration in the balance of power in these waters, long-term considerations must take precedence. It is believed that Dr Singh, who did not expand on his remarks, was referring to the unease in New Delhi at the presence of a considerable Chinese fleet off the coast of Qumar, close to India's rival (and Chinese ally) Pakistan.

The Indian Navy remains in port, as far as is known, but the potential for some kind of accident based on the proximity of two regional nuclear super-powers cannot be over-stated.

BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Tuesday September 13th 2016

Government reshuffle "certain" after National Referendum day

Sources from within the Government have confirmed that Prime Minister Richard Samuels will be reshuffling the cabinet after the party conference season and national referendum day on October 13th.

It is understood that reshuffle will be the final one before the next General Election which must be held before November 2018, although most believe it is likely to be called before that.

Current polling in the national referendums show a big lead in support of gay marriage around 68% at the current time with the other referendum on the return of capital punishment for child murder and terrorism a virtual dead heat on 44% each for both yes & no.

Cabinet Ministers have been freed from "Collective Cabinet responbality" for both referendum's, along all members of the Cabinet have pledged support for the gay marriage vote.

Reuters
September 14th 2016

Tensions are rising in the Arabian sea after China announced a 150km exclusion zone around the fleet it has in place to assist its armed intervention in Qumar. This is believed to be in response to a sortie by surviving assets of the Qumari Air Force on Tuesday.

India has protested the move at the United Nations, and it is believed to have increased the alert status of its navy, in preparation to leaving port. Two visiting United Kingdom Royal Navy vessels, in India on a goodwill trip, are believed to be preparing to set sail ahead of schedule, possibly to reinforce British forces around the Gulf of Hormuz. Pentagon sources are also speaking of increased activity by Pakistani and Iranian air and naval forces.

So far, the substantial US naval forces in the area do not appear to have changed position, or altered their defensive posture, though the pressure is increasing on President Walken to find a way out of this dangerous trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.