1968: A Year Of Turmoil

• Thread starter Deleted member 87099
  • Start date
What are the chances of Ichord having Humphrey's die in an "accident" to make himself the president instead of acting president?

Not 'More of the same?'

Will Acting President Isochord have a strategy to win the war beyond doing more of the same? Because when Westmoreland was replaced with Abrams there was a change of that kind and some people argue it was much more effective.

One of the most common criticisms of the era was that there was never any real explanation given of what the point of the exercise was, - "win the war" is a slogan not a strategic objective - or a coherent strategy beyond sending more and more Americans to fight more and more Communists. The bombing campaign in the North is a textbook example of how NOT to fight an air war. Literally a textbook, 'Thud Ridge' a highly critical history of the F-105 campaign by one of the pilots who took part, is a set text at the RAAF academy.

Isochord comes across as a raving loon and a walking cliche. Is he based on a real person? Does/did he have a counter proposal for running/winning the war?

Deleted member 87099

Will Acting President Isochord have a strategy to win the war beyond doing more of the same? Because when Westmoreland was replaced with Abrams there was a change of that kind and some people argue it was much more effective.

One of the most common criticisms of the era was that there was never any real explanation given of what the point of the exercise was, - "win the war" is a slogan not a strategic objective - or a coherent strategy beyond sending more and more Americans to fight more and more Communists. The bombing campaign in the North is a textbook example of how NOT to fight an air war. Literally a textbook, 'Thud Ridge' a highly critical history of the F-105 campaign by one of the pilots who took part, is a set text at the RAAF academy.

Isochord comes across as a raving loon and a walking cliche. Is he based on a real person? Does/did he have a counter proposal for running/winning the war?

Yes, Richard Ichord was a real person, he was the chairman of the un american activities committee from 1969 to 1975. His opinion on Vietnam was similar to that of Secretary of State Dean Rusk as in military force is necessary indefinitely. He was also a raving anti communist hence why he was chairman of the un American activities committee. And about him coming across as a raving loon and walking stereotype, well he kind of was but desperate times call for desperate votes by the voters, and there are people now like Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz, who share some of his views and still have considerable following.

Well this is certainly an original premise. How much support does Ichord have in his party? Other than being The Hawk is he a run of the mill conservative on social issues and economics?

As far as the Republicans...Hatfield 72' maybe?

Deleted member 87099

Well this is certainly an original premise. How much support does Ichord have in his party? Other than being The Hawk is he a run of the mill conservative on social issues and economics?

As far as the Republicans...Hatfield 72' maybe?

He is gaining support from the smathers anti communist side of the party as well as from most of the more conservative democrats. And he is conservative on social and economic issues.

Yes, Richard Ichord was a real person, he was the chairman of the un american activities committee from 1969 to 1975. His opinion on Vietnam was similar to that of Secretary of State Dean Rusk as in military force is necessary indefinitely. He was also a raving anti communist hence why he was chairman of the un American activities committee. And about him coming across as a raving loon and walking stereotype, well he kind of was but desperate times call for desperate votes by the voters, and there are people now like Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz, who share some of his views and still have considerable following.

Thank you for the quick clarification.

It is a sad reminder of how much WORSE it could have been.

Deleted member 87099

Thank you for the quick clarification.

It is a sad reminder of how much WORSE it could have been.

No problem:). And yeah it is pretty sad to think how it could have been:(.

Yes. Sadly, Richard Ichord has the illusion that it can be won.

Despite the fact the VPA was defeating the Allied Forces conventionally in the field of battle. Khe Sanh was forced to be abandoned by the US by the NVA Siege which wrecked all the supporting bases and ARVN forces and forced them to abandon the area and defeated the Royal Laotian Army in 1968.

The Air War was basically the VPAF clubbing the US Air Forces like baby seals. 18 US fixed wing aircraft were lost for every one VPAF plane, the majority of which were lost in accidents. VPAF pilots outperformed the US pilots in air-to-air combat, shooting down 2.5 planes for everyone they lost.

At the end of the day, the US's tactical victories did not matter and the NVA defeated them at the operational and strategic level where wars are won.

The only way for Vietnam to be a US victory would have been to purge the ARVN Officers Corps and promote only men from the Ranks with proven leadership skills and who weren't corrupt as fuck as well as sack US Commanders who can't deliver results or are seen by their troops as cowards whether true or not.

Deleted member 87099

Here's the next update. By the way, thank you guys for the comments, views, and support, you guys are the best!:)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MADDOX RETURNS TO ATLANTA, PLEADS FOR CALM AMONG FRACTURED CITY
- Daily News 12/1/68

Hello, this is Dan Rather. And just moments ago an explosive of some kind exploded right next to the unit that I am travelling with. As you can probably see, the wounded men of the unit are being treated now, I think we have one death, but I really don't know at this point.
- CBS Evening News 12/1/68

My dear America, I have been talking with my cabinet and military advisors recently, and we have decided on the best course of action towards the incessant violence in Atlanta. And that action is to crush this civilian mutiny right where it stands. I promise you America, that two weeks from now, Atlanta will be free from the terrorists that inhabit it. Our strategy is to bring in more national guard and military units to the perimeter of the city, then those units shall meet up with the bogged down national guard units around city hall, and from there those units shall retake the rest of the city. The new units that we are sending will include a large amount of armor and artillery. This may sound cruel, violent, or harsh, but it is our last chance at saving Atlanta. Goodnight America!
- Richard Ichord, public address 12/2/68

So our 'Great Offensive' started on December 5th. The only reason why I still remember that is because it was my birthday, pretty crappy birthday, huh? Anyways, on that first day, those Armymen gave it all they got, and I still don't blame them because they were quite literally fighting for their lives. Half of my unit was killed that day. Most people presume that if I fought in the 'Great Offensive' then I was someone in a tank or someone commanding the artillery, but no my unit was one of the infantry ones the Ichord sent. And for someone reason I thought that when me and the boys would march down the side streets of Atlanta, that we would be cheered and celebrated as liberators. But we weren't in fact we were welcomed in a way that was the opposite of what my egotistical fantasy wanted, we were welcomed as villains.
- Roger Elben quoted in The Horrors of Atlanta

In Vietnam, U.S Air Force pilots are being outgunned by their North Vietnamese counterparts this is not good news for an already crippled American war effort.
- Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News 12/6/68

Days 2 and 3 weren't as bad as day 1. They were still awful don't get me wrong, but not as awful. There were less casualties and my unit got reinforcements, but it still sucked. There was still strong resistance by the people and Armymen alike.

PRIME MINISTER HAROLD WILSON ARRIVES TODAY- Earlier today, British PM Harold Wilson arrived in Washington D.C. Mr. Wilson stated that he will see President Humphrey in the hospital as well as speak at a joint session of congress. PM Wilson explicitly stated that he will not meet with Acting President and Vice President Richard Ichord, because of "His poor handling of the crisis in Atlanta"
- New York Times 12/9/68

Yes, I did meet with Hubert Humphrey today. It was an enjoyable meeting and we talked about politics and each other's families, yes it was quite pleasant.
- Excerpt from Harold Wilson during a press conference 12/10/68

Deleted member 87099

I should have a couple of longer updates done for later today, any feedback or suggestions?

Deleted member 87099

I plead for you, members of congress, to stop the violent actions of your executive government!
- Excerpt from speech by Harold Wilson 12/11/68

Hello, this is Dan Rather. And this my last report from the war torn city of Atlanta, as the new forces that Acting President Ichord sent have met up with the bogged down units that I am staying with around City Hall. Right now, the boys are in high spirits and they are waiting for the order to clear the rest of the city.
- CBS Evening News 12/11/68

By far, the greatest day of the entire campaign was when we met up with those guys who were bogged down around city hall. That was the one day when my unit didn't see any combat, and we got reinforced by the guys who we just freed.

(Putnam): Hello viewers, welcome back. Now, we have a very special man sitting with me today, and he is Vice President Richard Ichord.
(Ichord): Hey, I'm the Acting President now.
(Putnam): *Laughter* So, Mr. Ichord, first off, congratulations on the so far successful campaign through Atlanta.
(Ichord): Thank you. But this campaign doesn't just belong to me, but it belongs to all god fearing American citizens out there who hate the forces of communism.
(Putnam): Yeah, I fall under that umbrella. But do you have any advice to the citizens of Atlanta who are members of the Underground Liberation Army?
(Ichord): Actually, yes. And that advice is to stay indoors and if you see one of our boys out there, then thank them for their service as those men have been through a lot.
(Putnam): Yes, I have heard about some of the horrors that our boys have had to go through for freedom.
(Ichord): It is sad when some people resort to violence and evil prophets like Karl Marx. But as we speak those people and their respective movements are being destroyed.
(Putnam): So, British Prime Minister Harold Wilson is visiting and will leave later today. You may also remember him saying that he does not want to meet with you, what are your thoughts on that?
(Ichord): I personally think that what PM Wilson is doing is rude. He should not 'blow off' another world leader based on a minor difference in domestic policy.
(Putnam): Do you have any other thoughts on Harold Wilson?
(Ichord): Yes, I do. I think that he should not oppose the idea of an arms buildup in Europe, in fact I agree with Enoch Powell and Edward Heath in regards to an arms buildup in Europe being necessary to the survival of the free world.
- Excerpt form George Putnam KTLA radio show 12/12/68

So when all of the state representatives got together they all had one collective goal in mind, and that was to move the state capital elsewhere, because Atlanta was a mess. But each individual state senator had different ideas on what city the new capital should be. There were people who wanted Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, and even Athens. None of the groups could come to an agreement. Then one man, I don't even know who he was and a lot of people who weren't there have taken credit for it, said that they should move it to Macon. He was met with ridicule and mockery, I mean at the time Macon was a small town. But then he sited three important reasons why they should, 1. A lot of the refugees from Atlanta were already going there, 2. It was in the exact center of the state, and 3. There was still a lot of unused land around the city that could be used for future expansion. Now, that silenced his critics and eventually, as you know now our state capital became Macon.
- Bob Greene quoted in An Oral History of Georgia

The last few day were tough, those day combined were almost as traumatic as the first day, but not quite. I mean, we still got hit with a wide assortment of weapons, but they did too. Their nail bombs were definitely formidable but they themselves couldn't do a lot of damage with the grenades and other assorted explosive that we were throwing at them. Anyways, our hell campaign ended on December 16th, right on time for the Vice President's two week deadline, eh?

Deleted member 87099

HUMPHREY RETURNS TO WHITE HOUSE. SAYS HE WILL BE READY "TO TAKE REIGNS" BY CHRISTMAS
- Daily News 12/17/68

Good evening, America! Many of you have probably heard rumors that our military campaign in Atlanta has been successful. Well, I would just like to confirm those rumors, yes, Atlanta is completely safe and the state of emergency in Georgia has been lifted. Though sadly, our campaign can not reverse the effects that the violence has caused to this city. In most of the city there are no hospitals, or electricity and running water. That is why I would like to officially announce that the Georgia state legislature has decided to move Georgia's state capital from Atlanta to Macon. They have also said that they will start giving business and land grants in Macon for refugees coming from Atlanta. That is all for tonight America, have a great night!
- Richard Ichord Presidential Address 12/17/68

When Hubert first came back to the white house, I was in the dog house. Apparently, he was informed of current events once his condition in the hospital was stable, and he did not like how I ran the place. He thought that we should have done something that that stupid state senator did, but we all now how it went down with him. But anyways, I had to get out of the dog house, and I did. First, I dismissed all of his medical aides except the necessary ones, and then I decided to help him instead. So there I was fetching Hubert meals and water and pillows and anything else that old man wanted. While I was doing that I would talk to him and tell him why I did the things that I did in his absence. It seemed to work to as I showed him how my bombing strategy worked by showing him new headlines of slightly reduced casualties, and I showed him how Atlanta was fine now. I don't even know if he cared at the time though because I think he was still pumped on all different kinds of drugs. But that didn't matter, all that mattered was that my ideas stayed.
- Island In The Sea of Red by Richard Ichord

Hello America. Tonight is my last night as Acting President of the United States, Hubert Humphrey has told me that he is healthy enough to resume his duties. So at Midnight tonight I will relinquish my post as President. I would also like to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- Richard Ichord in Christmas Eve address 12/24/68

VICE PRESIDENT ICHORD LEAVES FOR GENEVA PEACE CONFERENCES
- New York Times 12/26/68

Wait a second..., ladies and gentlemen, we are getting breaking news right now. It appears, that en route to the first session of the Geneva peace conferences, between the Soviet Union and the United States, Soviet Premier Leonid Brezhnev has gotten into a car crash. We still do not know of the condition of the premier, but we do know that he did not come out of the accident unscathed as he was rushed to the hospital.
- Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News 12/27/68

BREZHNEV WOUNDED IN GENEVA, IN CRITICAL CONDITION
- Daily News 12/28/68

I don't care if the Soviet Union doesn't like it. But I think that that damned communist got what he deserved!
- Richard Ichord during a press conference 12/28/68

AMERICAN VICE PRESIDENT MOCKS SOVIET UNION
- Pravda 12/29/68

Personally, I am deeply saddened by the death of Leonid Brezhnev.
- Hubert Humphrey during a press conference 12/29/68

And in sports today, the New York Jets will go on to face the Baltimore Colts in the third annual super bowl in January.
- CBS Evening News 12/29/68

AMERICAN AND SOVIET DELEGATIONS BACK OUT OF GENEVA
- New York Times 12/30/68

PREMIER BREZHNEV DEAD, COUNTRY MOURNS
- Pravda 1/1/69

MAN OF THE YEAR 1968: HUBERT HUMPHREY
- Time Magazine 1/69

SOVIET PREMIER BREZHNEV DEAD, LEADERS MEET TO DECIDE NEW PREMIER
- New York Times 1/1/69

I do admit that my comments on the unfortunate death of Mr. Brezhnev were poorly timed.
- Excerpt from press conference by Richard Ichord 1/2/69

APOLLO 8 'MOON ROCKET' LAUNCHED YESTERDAY
- Miami News 1/5/69

Going around the moon was probably the second best experience in my life, and it's only behind walking on the moon. The sad thing is, we had the perfect opportunity to take quite literally the perfect picture in the history of our planet, but we messed it up. For a few minutes we could see earth rising from around the moon, it was beautiful, and the rest of the world would have seen it for themselves too, if we found the color TV camera.
- Man in The Moon Autobiography by Jim Lovell

HISTORIC MOON SPACE SHIP SUCCESSFULLY LANDS
- New York Times 1/11/69

I guess Apollo 8 kind of space inspired me. I was thinking, what if we could put some kind of deterrent up there, maybe not nuclear, but something else to scare the Soviets. I decided, that later in the month I should consult the eggheads at NASA about this.
- Island In The Sea of Red Autobiography by Richard Ichord

JETS BEAT COLTS 16 - 7. NAMATH MVP
- New York Times 1/13/69

I would like to announce that I and the rest of our great, peace loving politburo, has chosen me to be the next great premier of our prospering nation!
- Excerpt from speech by Mikhail Suslov 1/14/69

SUSLOV CHOSEN TO BE NEXT GREAT LEADER
- Pravda 1/14/69

SOVIETS CHOOSE MIKHAIL SUSLOV AS NEXT PREMIER
- Daily News 1/14/69

Deleted member 87099

I do promise to you, fair and peaceful people of the Soviet Union that we will return to the prosperous time under Stalin's rule and counter the evil western threat of increased armament.
- Excerpt from speech by Mikhail Suslov 1/15/69

I would like to welcome Premier Suslov to the world stage. I do hope that he can handle the problems of his country and the world just as well as his predecessors could.
- Excerpt from speech by Hubert Humphrey 1/15/69

GREAT SOVIET ROCKET LAUNCHES, TRIBUTE TO FORMER PREMIER BREZHNEV
- Pravda 1/18/69

America, today is a new day for our beautiful nation. Now, we do have our problems here and there, all nations have those, but to solve them we should not shout at each other, no, we should hold a welcoming hand to each other.
- Excerpt form inaugural address by Hubert Humphrey 1/20/69

So, as I said earlier I did meet with NASA, in very quick time, apparently people do not tarry for the Vice President. As I was saying, I ended up meeting with the acting administrator and a few of his head scientists and engineers. I threw my idea out at them and most of it was flatly rejected. I mean, yes they liked the 'space platform' part of my idea, but not the threatening the reds part. Personally, I thought that my idea was amazing, and later on others would too, but not Thomas O. Paine, the administrator at the time. The good thing about him is that he was only the acting administrator, he would only be in charge until I found a more suitable one. Luckily, for me I knew the perfect man for the job.

I have mad some phone calls and I think we should nominate General William M. Moymer as the new administrator of NASA. He should be considered because of his loyalty, managerial skills, and aviation expertise.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord to the US Senate 1/24/69

STATE DECLARED DISASTER AREA AS FLOODING SWEEPS THROUGH
- Las Angeles Times 1/27/69

This Senate has decided that Gen. William Moymer, according to Vice President Ichord's nomination, should be appointed NASA Administrator on February 1st of this year.
- Mike Mansfield on Senate NASA Administrator ruling 1/27/69

Because of recent events, I am appointing Chuck Yeager as head of all Tactical Air Operations in Vietnam.
- Excerpt from speech by Hubert Humphrey 1/28/69

That damn Ichord is going to ruin the space program!
- Acting NASA Administrator Thomas O. Paine 1/30/69

I am extremely humbled to be offered this post as the Administrator of NASA, I am also looking forward to the challenges that I will have to overcome in this post.
- Excerpt from inauguration speech by William Moymer 2/1/69

I was there when Will got inaugurated, and he knows that I'm the reason that he could get out of his little general spat with Yeager with honor. So he let me sit down and talk to him about my idea, and he said that he will look into it.

Umm.. The pilots of the 747 seem to have a problem with the landing gear. It doesn't seem to be deploying, and I'm not a pilot but they seem to be getting way to close too the runway. Wait.., they're trying to lift the nose of the plane up. They might be successful in delaying their landing.
Wait, N-

*Loud explosion*
- ABC Special Report 2/4/69

As many of you know, earlier today the first model of the new Boeing 747 had a problem with its landing gear and crashed at the runway. We at CBS would like to send our hearts out to the families of the dead crewmembers.
- Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News 2/4/69