1968: A Year Of Turmoil

• Thread starter Deleted member 87099
  • Start date

Deleted member 87099

That third nail bomb really knocked some sense in to me. The first two were still tragedies, but they quickly could be proven to be unrelated to each other. A third one made this a trend, but it was a trend that I caught on to. You see, I realized that all three places bombed (Republication Convention, Lemay's home, and Hoover's office) were all 'right wing' places. So because of that I didn't walk around with more secret service agents and stronger security protocol, and yes, I know that because of that I've been accused in many conspiracy theories of doing the bombings. They're all wrong if I was responsible then I wouldn't have investigated radical 'left wing' groups.
- I'm Still here Autobiography of Hubert Humphrey

ACTING DIRECTOR GRAY CREATES BOARD TO FIND MAD BOMBER
- Daily News 9/15/68

Remember 8/5
- Billboard in Miami, paid for by Richard Nixon

Ok, so my plan is to campaign in states that would otherwise not swing our way to cause a rift in the conservative vote and give the state to Humphrey to better even out the electoral vote.
- George Wallace, quoted in meeting with campaign staff

I promise that if I get elected President then I will sit at the negotiating table with Russia and reduce nuclear weapons everywhere.
- Excerpt from a speech from Hubert Humphrey 9/20/68

A VOTE FOR HUMPHREY IS A VOTE FOR PEACE
- Humphrey campaign pin

Remember to tune in tomorrow at 7pm EST to watch the Vice Presidential debate, moderated by George Herman
- CBS ad 9/24/68

HERMAN: Former Governor Stassen as Vice President how would you try to handle the conflict in Vietnam.

STASSEN: I would advise the President to take a similar course to the one that we are taking now unless an emergency appears.

ICHORD: Oh sure. Do you think lack of action helps end wars and beats the reds? Because the answer to that is no it doesn't inaction won't end wars. We need a solid ground campaign to end this war.

HERMAN: Um. Representative Ichord if you could wait you're turn then that would be appreciated. On to the next question, how would either of you handle the unrest in this country.

STASSEN: I think a kind but firm policy using the FBI would be a preferable solution.

ICHORD: Haven't we already tried peaceful tactics? If our peaceful solutions can't solve our problems then we need to smash this unrest.
- Excerpt from transcript of CBS Vice Presidential Debate

NAIL BOMB EXPLODES NEAR ICHORD'S LIMO- At 9:30 pm EST yesterday shortly after the Vice Presidential Debate Richard Ichord was being driven to a nearby hotel when a nail bomb went off in a trash can near his limo. The Vice Presidential candidate was unharmed though his chauffer was killed and two of his aides were injured.
- New York Time 9/26/68

How could they get the nail bomb into Hoover's office? I can think of one guy associated with a (then-future) political campaign who might, but right now I think he's working as a lawyer in NYC. (After his FBI stint, where he did black bag jobs, and before he busted Timothy Leary in Dutchess County.)

Deleted member 87099

I like most of you is angered. Some of you might be scared. But you should not be scared. We will find this Mad Bomber and we will make him pay for his crimes!
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord 9/27/68

First of all my heart goes out to the families of the victims of the attacks on Mr. Ichord's limo. But second of all is Richard Ichord really the man you want as Vice President. Would a good Vice President respond to violence with violence?
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Nixon 9/27/68

We have to find that mad communist bastard!
- Richard Ichord to an aide

After Richard's limo got targeted he lost his mind. Not permanently as we now know. But just for a month or two long enough where him getting targeted was one of his main focuses during the campaign. Did you know that he was the first political candidate with secret service protection? And after he got it Nixon and Stassen wanted it and every candidate gets it now. But anyways, one of his main focuses was now protection of himself.
- I'm Still Here Autobiography by former president Hubert Humphrey

My personal take on what I saw from the candidates at the debates were that they were entirely different people. On one hand Mr. Stassen was calm and cool headed and on the other hand Mr. Ichord was a little rude and interrupted Mr. Stassen frequently.
- George Herman, Face The Nation 9/28/68

Acceptance and Tolerance. Those two words helped build our country to be one of the finest that this world have ever seen. And if continue to accept and tolerate people no matter our differences then our country will be able to set an example. Not just to our youth but to the world.
- Nixon Campaign Ad

In the news today, after one month of campaigning the early polls have finally come out. They state the following:
President Hubert Humphrey: 40%
Former Vice President Richard Nixon: 39%
Former Governor George Wallace: 11%
Undecided: 10%
- Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News 9/30/68

In this issue of Time Magazine we asked all of the Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates what their thoughts are when it comes to 'The Mad Bomber'.
President Hubert Humphrey: This Mad Bomber has become a serious security concern to America. I am doing all I can to stop this threat, and will continue to do that if I am reelected.
Representative Richard Ichord: I consider this 'Mad Bomber' to be a terrorist and should be killed or jailed for the rest of his life. I will not stop until that accomplished.
Former Vice President Richard Nixon: I consider this Mad Bomber a threat to the America that we know and love and should be punished.
Former Governor Harold Stassen: I think that this Mad Bomber has done cruel and vile deeds and has violated the free rights of American Citizens.
Former Governor George Wallace: This Mad Bomber is a communist threat to our country. And when I become president I will make sure that he gets the electric chair.
Senator Strom Thurmond: 'The Mad Bomber' is a mental communist and should be seen that way.
- Time Magazine 10/68

"War, children, it's just a shot away
It's just a shot away
Rape, murder!
It's just a shot away
It's just a shot away!
"

Deleted member 87099

Does anyone have any suggestions for the next part? It'll probably cover the Olympics in Mexico as well as more campaigning.

Deleted member 87099

Ok guys thanks for the suggestions!
---------------------------------------------------------

The peaceful people of the Soviet Union announce that they would be open to the idea of destroying a portion of their nuclear stockpile.
- The Soviet response to Humphrey's nuclear reduction idea 10/1/68

BRITISH PM, HAROLD WILSON, SAYS THAT HE WILL VISIT PRESIDENT LATER IN MONTH
- Daily News 10/1/68

In Vietnam, the casualties this week have exceeded that amount of any week thus far throughout the war. One soldier says that it is "Hell on earth without air support" Vice Presidential Candidate Ichord is pushing The President to let the aircraft do more bombing missions across this fractured nation.
- Walter Conkrite CBS Evening News 10/1/68

STUDENT PROTESTS IN MEXICO HARSHLY PUT DOWN- Hundreds of students injured or dead in Tlateloco Square.
- New York Times 10/2/68

32 AFRICAN NATIONS OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCE THEIR BOYCOTTING OF OLYMPICS, BECAUSE OF SOUTH AFRICAN PARTICIPATION
- Los Angeles Times 10/3/68

HUMPHREY ANNOUNCES THAT HE WILL VISIT MEXICO DURING OLYMPICS
- Boston Globe 10/4/68

A lot of people have told me that the trip to Mexico was useless and no good. While really it was good, for multiple reasons. 1. I could meet the Mexican president and a few other leaders and get myself known on the world stage. 2. If I was next on 'The Mad Bomber's List' he would have a hard time getting me in Mexico.
- I'm Still Here Autobiography of former president Hubert Humphrey

TENSIONS IN GERMANY HIGH AFTER INCIDENT- The situation in Germany is tense this morning after last night's incident. The incident was when a Russian soldier on the Berlin Wall tripped and accidentally fired his gun. A nearby squad of American soldiers took this as a surprise attack and a firefight ensued for the next few minutes. It ended when the American commanding officer got confirmation of no attack and called his squad off. An American soldier died during the firefight.
- Daily News 10/5/68

I, like most of you, heard about what happened last night. And I would like to say that I am not surprised. We have been staring into the face of communist aggression ever since the Gulf of Tonkin and that aggression culminated into the death of Private Brian Matthews last night. We face aggression and our executive leadership is vulnerable, we have no Vice President, which is why I'm asking to be sworn in as Vice President. We need a second man's opinion when it comes to a blatant communist attack.
- Excerpt from a speech by Richard Ichord 10/5/68

ICHORD SWORN IN AS VICE PRESIDENT
- Dallas Morning News 10/6/68

This just in, there has been another firefight in Berlin. This one was started by an American squad when they interpreted the movement of a Soviet tank group as an attack and attacked a group of soldiers on the Berlin Wall. 3 Russians and 1 American were killed before both groups fled the scene.
- CBS Interruption 10/6/68

More violence has happened today in Berlin when Russian artillery fired into the American side of the city. They fired for two minutes before being told to stop by their commanding officer. 7 Americans were killed.
- CBS Evening News 10/7/68

Hello America. Over the last few days tensions in Berlin has reached highs not seen in years. Well America, I have good news, tomorrow I will call Premier Brezhnev to work out a peace of some sorts.
- Excerpt from Hubert Humphrey's address to the nation regarding Berlin Crisis 10/7/68

NATO ANNOUNCES THAT IT WILL STAND BY U.S SHOULD WAR COME- Today NATO has announced that it will stand by the United States if war does come to Europe, the Warsaw pact also made a similar announcement yesterday.
- New York Times 10/8/68

If this doesn't work then I don't know what will.
- President Hubert Humphrey to and aide shortly before his peace call with Premier Brezhnev 10/8/68

My fellow Americans, I have great news. Premier Brezhnev and I have worked out a deal that involve both of our nations to reduce our amounts of soldiers in Berlin and to attend a conference in December that will aim at reducing arms of all kinds in either of our countries. That is all for today, Good night and god bless!
- President Humphrey's 'short but sweet' address to the nation 10/8/68

Deleted member 87099

Any feedback/suggestions/criticism for the last part?

Deleted member 87099

All of these political 'experts' and advisors now say that my 'short but sweet' address should not have been an answer to the fear in the minds of Americans during the Berlin Crisis, and I guess they were right, somewhat. They were right on the fact that my duty to the American people says that I should tell them everything I could to relieve their fears, but they were wrong on the fact that all Americans needed to hear was that everything was going to be OK. So here's what actually happened, at least from my perspective. Most of you reading this probably already know the specifics in the peace, but I feel the need to tell them anyway. They are, 1. We had to make a half mile wide DMZ, to make sure that there aren't soldiers in that close proximity to each other again. 2. We realized that with a DMZ that would be a dilemma to the Soviets regarding their border checkpoints, so we came to the agreement that all Soviet checkpoints into West Berlin from East Berlin to be closed, but they also had to make 3 more checkpoints leading into West Berlin from the GDR. And 3. Both the Soviet Union, the United States, and both Germanys were required to go to a December arms reduction conference in Geneva. Luckily for us the rest of NATO weren't required to attend the conferences.
- I'm Still Here Autobiography by former president Hubert Humphrey

I believe that the recent crisis in Berlin only goes to show that the militaries of Britain and its European allies are not yet ready to face the forces of communism. I personally think that greater military build up of all kinds is needed to ensure peace across the continent.
- Excerpt from speech by Conservative Party Leader Edward Heath 10/9/68

DE GAULLE UNSURE ABOUT ARMS BUILDUP
- Le Figaro 10/10/68

KILL THE REDS
- Graffiti in Raleigh

HUMPHREY LEAVES FOR MEXICO- Tells VP Ichord to "Hold down the fort"
- Daily News 10/10/68

Don't screw this up for us while I'm gone!
- Humphrey to Ichord 10/10/68

ASTRONAUTS SICK, APOLLO 7 POSTPONED
- Miami News 10/10/68

And here are the election polls thus far:
HUMPHREY: 56%
NIXON: 31%
WALLACE: 6%
UNDECIDED:7%
- CBS Evening News 10/10/68

Yes, we are thinking about Mr. Heath's proposal for an arms buildup, but we haven't committed ourselves to his idea yet.
- Harold Wilson 10/11/68

POLL: If each VP nominee was running for President who would you vote for?
STASSEN: 45%
ICHORD: 41%
THURMOND: 14%
- Daily News 10/11/68

GOVERNOR REAGAN RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL, RESIGNS, SAYS LT. GOVERNOR FINCH IS "DOING A GOOD JOB"
- Los Angeles Times 10/11/68

OLYMPICS IN MEXICO TO START TODAY- The 19th summer Olympiad is scheduled to start today in Mexico City, Mexican President Ordaz and President Humphrey to speak.
- New York Times 10/12/68

Ha. Never thought of an ichord presidency!:D

I think it would look something like this -

giphy.gif

(Go for it!)

Deleted member 87099

I think it would look something like this -

giphy.gif

(Go for it!)

nice gif! That was the outcome I thought would happen too. I wasn't thinking of making ichord president but he would still play a major role. You can PM me if you want to know more.