1968: A Year Of Turmoil

• Thread starter Deleted member 87099
  • Start date

Deleted member 87099

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for the next part?

If the Black Power salute at the Olympics still happens, have some turmoil in the U.S. over it (or, alternately, don't have it happen).

Waiting for the next update...

Deleted member 87099

If the Black Power salute at the Olympics still happens, have some turmoil in the U.S. over it (or, alternately, don't have it happen).

Waiting for the next update...

ok.:) filler

Deleted member 87099

Hello, I'm happy to be here, at the summer Olympics in beautiful Mexico City. I know that its not everyday when the head of state of another country speaks at an Olympics in another country but here I am now! First, I'd just like to say that on behalf of the American people we welcome you all to the North American continent. Second, I would just hope to say that the point of these Olympics are for international cooperation and peace, and I think that is a good point to follow. Thirdly, I would like to promote said cooperation and peace all around the world. Finally, I wish you all a good Olympics and Go Team USA!
- Hubert Humphrey, speech during open ceremonies of 1968 Olympics 10/12/68

Go tell that Ichord that I need to talk to him right god damn now!
- FBI Chief Gray to an aide 10/13/68

LEAD FOUND ON NAIL BOMBING CASE
- New York Times 10/14/68

You see, this man, as you could probably expect, wasn't living the high life. Instead he was living in a crappy rundown apartment in the middle of New York. I was already a little nervous, you know? Our CO said that this guy was the big deal, that he might kill one of us. After his "inspiring" prep talk we stormed the building. We frightened most people we passed in the building, though who wouldn't be if they see 10 SWAT team members walk through their home. But anyways, we finally made it to his apartment and I told him that we were going to knock down his door. He said "Go ahead", so we did and inside the apartment was some scrappy looking 22 year old kid just lying on a bed. I asked him his name, he said "John Jacobs", while not looking one bit startled and having a smug grin on his face. I still wonder to this day why he just didn't get out of dodge when he still could.
- Ryan Fitzgerald quoted in, The History of The ULA

'MAD BOMBER' CAUGHT
- New York Times 10/16/68

BLACK POWER SALUTE STIRS OUTRAGE
- Daily News 10/17/68

First off I would just like to say that I am returning to the States tomorrow to continue my campaign. Now I must address the two most recent matters pressing me. 1. I have no problem with the black power salute by Tommie Smith and John Carlos, and I also think that IOC Commissioner Avery Brundage is hypocritical because he is fine with Nazi salutes but not black power salutes. 2. I am happy that the Mad Bomber is caught and salute the brave men and women involved with his capture.
- Hubert Humphrey, Press conference 10/17/68

I find it amusing that you think that I am the only one responsible for all of these attacks, well I got news for you buddy there's a lot more of me where I came form.
- John Jacobs, Interrogation tapes 10/18/68

PRESIDENT 'FINE' WITH BLACK POWER SALUTE
- Daily News 10/18/68

I think of John Jacobs as a horrible monster who will most certainly be damned to the depths of hell. I will not rest until I see this terrorist put on the electric chair. I also want to investigate into whether he had any accomplices or co conspirators and bring them to the chair as well.
- Excerpt from speech by, Richard Ichord 10/18/68

In the news today, A poll in the New York times says the following
Do you think that the athletes who did the black power salute should get their medals revoked?
Yes: 45%
No: 45%
I don't care: 10%
Also in the news George Romney's son Mitt issued a statement regarding the capture of the Mad Bomber It is: I and my family are deeply saddened by the deaths of my father and his colleagues. We hope that this horrid man gets a fair trial and is never allowed to do anything similar to anyone else ever again.
- Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News 10/18/68

Deleted member 87099

IOC BANS BLACK POWER ATHLETES FROM OLYMPICS FOR LIFE
- Los Angeles Times 10/19/68

What do you mean, "if they all weren't you then which one did you do?" Well which one do you think I did? I live in New York so some easy effort to damage ratio says that I was the one who targeted Ichord. There are you dopes happy now?
- John Jacobs, interrogation tapes 10/19/68

Dear, Howard

As a paraplegic life gets pretty lonely and I could use a friend or two. Which is why I want to meet with you later in the month. Now, I know that you probably won't want to visit a guy like me just to cheer me up, so I have a business proposition for you. If you are interested in my idea then come on by, you know where I am.

Sincerely, Ronald
- Letter correspondence between Ronald Reagan and Howard Hughes

CHECH GYMNAST STANDS IN SILENT PROTEST OF COMMUNISM
- Daily News 10/20/68

I applaud Mrs. Caslavska for her bravery in the defense of freedom for her fellow country men.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord 10/20/68

And now for today's election polls:
Humphrey: 47%
Nixon: 39%
Wallace: 11%
Undecided: 3%
- CBS Evening News 10/20/68

JACQUELINE KENNEDY MARRIES GREEK SHIPPING MAGNATE
- New York Times 10/21/68

Honestly, yes, there is one issue that the President and I don't agree on, and that is Vietnam. Right now more young men than ever are dying out in those jungles without air strikes. And the President is also thinking about getting out of the war by the end of 1972, now I think that that is ridiculous, because we should not let communism spread further than it already has. We should do anything it takes to stop the spread of communism, we should even consider the nuclear option.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord 10/22/68

You say one more thing like that and I drop you off the ticket!
- Hubert Humphrey to Richard Ichord

I disagree with Mr. Ichord on Vietnam when it comes to the nuclear option. Yes, America's nuclear stockpiles should be ready on the command, but there is no need to go flaunting our power around like imperial conquerors.
- Excerpt, from a speech by Richard Nixon 10/23/68

And now the election pre polls:
Humphrey: 40%
Nixon: 44%
Wallace: 14%
Undecided: 2%
- Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News 10/23/68

Under a Humphrey administration there will be no use of nuclear weapons under any circumstance unless we are under attack by the Soviet Union.
- Excerpt from speech by Hubert Humphrey 10/24/68

I do agree with my running mate in the fact that our nuclear weapons should be ready but not used unless under dire circumstances.
- Excerpt from a speech by Harold Stassen 10/24/68

I do think that America's nuclear weapons could, but not should, be used to stop the spreading of the forces of communism.
- Excerpt from a speech by George Wallace 10/25/68

Deleted member 87099

Hello, this is the next part, but before it starts I would like to take Gonzo for the advice and ideas that he has given me. Thank you!:)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SENATOR JAVITS KILLED BY NAIL BOMB
- New York Times 10/26/68

My first act of political subterfuge, wait I don't really like calling it that because that makes me sound like one of those old communist spies, so lets call it political maneuvering. So my first act of political maneuvering was to tell the CIA to get involved in the Jacobs case and to start torturing the living hell out of the man. I guess now as a (slightly) older and wiser gentleman what I allowed may have been perceived as 'ethically wrong' but that man deserved every ounce of pain he got. And besides the CIA were the ones that came to me about the prospect of using torture, ok, maybe they didn't come to me, maybe they wanted to go to the president. Though all those guys needed to hear was "the president says yes" and they were off. I mean those guys deserve any political backlash they get for not even asking the president himself.
- Island in the Sea of Red Autobiography by Richard Ichord

Yes, I have used my power to further investigate the death of senator Javits.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord 10/27/68

Um.. No we did not reach out for further confirmation from the President himself. And yes we did use methods of torture such as waterboarding, and forcing him to go days without food or water.
- Excerpt from former CIA Director Richard Helms during the 'Jacobs Torture' senatorial hearings 12/7/89

OLYMPICS END
- Daily News 10/28/68

I do not just think that Mr. Heath's proposal to parliament is just and accessory to Britain's survival. No, I think his proposal is necessary for Britain's survival.
- Excerpt from speech by Enoch Powell 10/28/68

I happen to agree with Enoch Powell and Edward Heath in that I do think that an arms buildup in Europe is necessary for the survival of the free world.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord 10/29/68

Yes, I was there during that 'historic day' It all started when Howard Hughes came in to the house, it was out of the blue to everyone working there, including myself, but not to Mr. Reagan, he knew why he was here. After exchanging pleasantries, the men sat down and talked, at first it was about each other's families and what not. Then the men started talking about politics and economics, that wasn't fun to listen to as my political views strongly opposed those of the man that I worked for. But then they started talking business, at first Mr. Reagan said "Imagine a world where the Republican party, our party, could shift the view of the public into a more well, Republican friendly opinion" Then one thing led to another and now you guys are interviewing me.
- Jake Ewing, quoted in The History of America's Most Trusted News Source

How to keep your kids safe from terrorists this Halloween:
1. Accompany your children (especially the younger ones) during their trick or treating.
2. If you see any suspicious activity report it to the nearest police officer.
3. Only let your kids take packaged candy from other houses.
4. I you see any one reading or preaching the words of Karl Marx, report them or make your own citizen's arrest.
5. If you see anything that looks like an explosive device, confiscate it and bring it to the nearest police officer.
- Pamphlet handed out in New York City 10/31/68

*TV cameras switch perspective to a nervous on site reporter*
Are we live?
Yes?
Ok, I'm Mark Stevens and I'm on the scene and reporting on a massive tragedy that occurred just less than an hour ago.
*Camera pans around and shows a small home with shattered glass instead of windows*
This building use to be the meeting place of the local chapter of The White Citizens Council.
*The reporter looks down and then back at the camera*
At least it was until less than an hour ago when reportedly 3 armed black men broke into the house and shot the people inside.
*The reporter looks down again*
Right now the police estimate that there are no survivors.
- Transcript of 'Halloween Massacre' broadcast, on local Atlanta news 10/31/68

Last month we asked the candidates what they think about the communist threat. These are their replies:
Hubert Humphrey: I think that the Soviet Union and the United States can come to a peaceful nuclear weapons reduction deal.
Richard Nixon: The Soviet Union can be defeated and the main route to that defeat is through Vietnam.
George Wallace: Sadly, I do think that war may be the only way to win the cold war and end the communist threat once and for all.
- Time Magazine 11/68

APOLLO 7 LAUNCHES AFTER DELAYS
- Miami News 11/1/68

And here are the election polls so far:
Humphrey: 44%
Nixon: 43%
Wallace: 13%
- Walter Cronkite CBS Evening News 11/1/68

:D

Though Wallace couldn't run with Allen as they're both Alabamans - perhaps Strom Thurmond, James Eastland or Lester Maddox?

IF Wallace gets a better running mate than OTL, then he could do better. He could carry Tennessee and the Carolinas.

Deleted member 87099

IF Wallace gets a better running mate than OTL, then he could do better. He could carry Tennessee and the Carolinas.

Yeah he probably would carry the Carolinas (well at least the southern one) and maybe even Tennessee too.

Deleted member 87099

Welcome back to the Today Show with me, Hugh Downs! Coming up next Georgia governor Lester Maddox is going to address his state regarding The Halloween Massacre, in which 11 people died, the suspects have still not been caught. Lets take you to him now:

(Maddox): Hello my fellow Georgians. Like most of you, I woke up yesterday horrified by what happened two days ago. And I would just like to proclaim that the fair state of Georgia will not stand for negro or Marxist terrorism. We have even enlisted help from the CIA to track down and crush these domestic terrorist cells. And I hope that Georgia will set an example to the other violence plagued states in our great nation. As a country our policy towards domestic terrorism should be, crush thi-

*Crack*

(Maddox): Augh, ah, *cough*

(People in background): The Governor got shot!

Um... We at the Today Show hope that Governor Maddox is um.. ok. Right now were going to go to commercial break, and um.. we'll be right back.
- Today Show broadcast 11/2/68

Total Anarchy. That's what I called it. I mean after the governor got shot people in Atlanta lost their freaking minds. I was there so I would know, Hubert and I were supposed to give a speech in Atlanta that day, it was supposed to be our last big campaign speech and it was ruined by one of those crazy Armymen. We saw it happen live too, I think that was the first time I ever saw that host guy, (I don't really remember his name), lose his cool. By that point Bill, our campaign manager, suggested that we get the hell out of the city, and I wasn't going to object, but then Hubert said something about "staying with the people" and all that political crap, so we stayed. But not for long as we started to hear yelling outside, and then that one local news agency broke the story that the shooter was black and we ended up having full-blown citywide race riots on our hands. By that point the President was out of it and asked our head of security if there was any way out of the city, he said "no".
- Island in The Sea of Red Autobiography by Richard Ichord

We will now take you to live footage of the President's evacuation, with our on site reporter Dan Rather:

As you can now see here, The President and Vice President are being evacuated on to a nearby Navy helicopter. Earlier, I watched the helicopter attempt to land on the top of this hotel that The President is staying at, it was a good precision landing as I can only imagine how important this rescue mission is. Wait, The President, Vice President, and their Press Secretary Bill Moyers have been put in the helicopter and it is taking back off now...
- CBS Evening News 11/2/68

GOVERNOR SHOT, SUSPECT FOUND. PRESIDENT FLEES CITY AS ANARCHY ENSUES
- Atlanta Journal 11/3/68

In a Nixon administration, tragedies like these will never happen again.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Nixon 11/3/68

Do not fear America I and my running mate are fine and the chaos in Atlanta will stop.
- Excerpt from speech by Hubert Humphrey 11/3/68

NATIONAL GUARD SENT INTO RESTORE PEACE IN ATLANTA
- New York Times 11/4/68

These are the final polls for tomorrow's elections:
Humphrey: 43%
Nixon: 42%
Wallace: 15%

- CBS Evening News 11/4/68

ELECTION DAY
- Daily News 11/5/68

Hello and welcome to the CBS Election Night Special. Thank you for joining us as the first polls come in.
- CBS Election Night Special 11/5/68

So far it looks like George Wallace is making huge gains in the southeast while Nixon has won a lot of the west and surprisingly Maine. Humphrey already looks like the favorite with these early reports coming of him winning key battleground states like Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.

It has been mostly decided. Hubert Humphrey will stay president of the United States of America.
Richard Nixon has still not conceded the election.

HUMPHREY WINS ELECTION, NIXON ASKS FOR RECOUNT IN OHIO, INDIANA, AND ILLINOIS
- New York Times 11/6/68

We won! We won! We won!
- Richard Ichord quoted in, House of Cards: The story of Richard Ichord Dramatic TV Show

After the results of the recount earlier today, I concede the presidency to Hubert Humphrey.
- Excerpt from a speech by Richard Nixon 11/6/68

NIXON CONCEDES, HUMPHREY OFFICIALLY ELECTED
- Daily News 11/7/68

My dear America, I do humbly accept your offer at being president of the United States of America. Now, please imagine a world free of all the violence in our society, the race riots, assassinations, and Vietnam. All of that will end in a Humphrey administration.
- Excerpt from speech by Hubert Humphrey 11/7/68

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 87099

I'm surprised you didn't have the election go into the House...

I thought about doing that. But I wouldn't be surprised if that were to be the outcome of a future election ;)

Deleted member 87099

In 1968 third party candidate George Wallace surprisingly won 6 states (Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee) This is mostly owed to two reasons, 1. His running mate, Strom Thurmond, was still wildly popular in the Carolinas and Tennessee, and 2. His 'southern strategy' which sought out to divide the conservative vote in the southern states worked, for the most part. His strategy had its drawbacks as it allowed Hubert Humphrey to take states like Louisiana and Arkansas. Thought the strategy did accomplish its primary goal, destroying Richard Nixon's southern campaign.
- Scholastic Magazine 11/98

After the election, I realized that the hardest part to my climb to power was over, now I got to do the things that this country needed. And the first thing on that list was to continue bombing in Vietnam, this was pretty ambitious at the time judging how vehemently opposed to the idea Hubert was, but I knew my way around the beltway. Now, I realized that my strategy should be quick and simple, I should cut a wave of support for me through his military advisors and cabinet members. First up on that list was to gain the support of our de facto Chief of Staff James Jones. Now, James was a cheap bastard and all he wanted was a little job security, so I told him that until 1972, if the President wanted to oust him, I'd back him up. Next up were the general and other assorted military brass, usually those bastards are hard to deal with but these guys were surprisingly easy this time around, most of them have been wanting to continue bombing for awhile now anyway. But there were still a few that weren't budging, they were the ones brought in by Hubert to fit his military needs. At that point I asked Dean (Rusk) for help. Dean and I weren't friends at that point but we both had a common goal, and that was to destroy communism, so Dean and I talked with a few of the men and eventually things went our way.
- Island in The Sea of Red Autobiography of Richard Ichord

ATLANTA STILL ENGULFED IN CHAOS
- Dallas Morning News 11/9/68

I will go to Atlanta and I will be in Atlanta for one week from November 12 until November 19. I do believe that the only way to end the rioting and violence is through reconciliation of the races.
- Excerpt form press conference by Jimmy Carter 11/9/68

Hello this is Dan Rather, and tonight I am reporting from just outside of Atlanta City Hall, where the National Guard has recently set up a defensive perimeter in the hopes that they can reclaim the city. As you can see behind me, the Red Cross have set up in the area and are offering to feed or medicate anyone who passes by their tent. Recently, as many of you know the violence in Atlanta has begun to spread around the state, even though state and local police are doing a good job of controlling the violence, Lt. Governor George Smith has declared a state of emergency.
- CBS Evening News 11/10/68

Jimmy Carter to speak at city hall at noon on the 12th
- Posters in Atlanta

COME SEE JIMMY GET SHOT
- Graffiti in Atlanta

Now, the only way for peace and justice to prevail is... wait, what in god's name is going on back there!
- Excerpt speech by Jimmy Carter 11/12/68

FIGHTS DURING SPEECH BY CARTER. 8 DEAD AND 14 WOUNDED
- New York Times 11/13/68

GET OUTTA HERE JAMES
- Graffiti in Atlanta

CARTER LEAVES FRACTURED CITY IN SHAME
- Daily News 11/14/68

To our Atlanta chapter,

As the National Guard move throughout the city, order is being restored. But this isn't real order, its our rich, white government's order. That is why the ULA is asking our members in Atlanta to rise up with armed attacks to halt the National Guard Advance.
- Memo to ULA Atlanta members

RIOTS ACROSS CITIES AND CAMPUSES DURING NATIONAL TURN IN YOUR DRAFT CARD DAY, YESTERDAY
- Daily News 11/15/68

Deleted member 87099

Burning Draft Cards was established to be illegal a few years ago, so it should be treated like any crime, with punishment.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord 11/15/68

Hello, this is Dan Rather reporting near the front lines of the battle to bring back the city of Atlanta to the control of the US Government. As you could probably tell from listening to background noise, just a little while away there is furious fighting between members of the National Guard and members of the Underground Liberation Army. For now it is mostly conflicts involving guns but we have seen a few explosives used.
- CBS Evening News 11/17/68

NAIL BOMBS EXPLODE ON FRONT LINES, HALTS NATIONAL GUARD ADVANCE, 34 DEAD, 62 WOUNDED.
- Daily News 11/19/68

DRAFT CARD BURNING STOPPED BY POLICE, 1 DEAD, 5 WOUNDED
- Boston Globe 11/20/68

SOUTH VIETNAM COMMITS TO PEACE TALKS, RUSK SENT
- New York Times 11/22/68

You and I both know that this is a longshot, but our platform is the unconditional surrender of North Vietnam.
- Richard Ichord to Dean Rusk

In the news today, Governor Lester Maddox of Georgia announces that his health is better and that he will return to Atlanta.
- Walter Cronkite, CBS Evening News 11/24/68

PEACE TALKS BEGIN TO BREAK DOWN IN PARIS
- Daily News 11/27/68

PRESIDENT HAS HEART ATTACK, RUSHED TO HOSPITAL
- New York Times 11/28/68

I am extremely saddened by the poor health of the president but the doctors and I have come to the decision that I should became acting President until the year's end.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord 11/28/68

Hubert's poor health was a gift from god. I know it was stress related but that didn't matter, I'm the president now. So first things first we pulled out of those peace talks and continued bombing in Vietnam.
- Island In The Sea of Red Autobiography of Richard Ichord

WILSON TO VISIT DECEMBER 9 - 12, AND PEACE TALKS TO TAKE PLACE DECEMBER 26 - 31
- Daily News 11/29/68

RUSK PULLS OUT OF CONFERENCES
- New York Times 11/30/68

I hereby announce with my newly invested powers as president of the United States of America, that the current, awful situation in Vietnam has gone on for too long, we shall continue bombing.
- Excerpt from speech by Richard Ichord 11/30/68

Deleted member 87099

By the way, what do you guys think of my posting setup. Do you like my short 1 update a day and a few on the weekends or would you rather have longer updates being posted once or twice a week.