You've made a great wrong in the worse, the timeline would have been better if Paramount would have won and leave Lucas kicked out of Journey of the Force(as OTL the was the only responsible of Star Wars Fiasco)... But the trial was Amazing and kudos to Andrew T(you're a lawyer) because the trial was so realistic and all, even the veredict.

So the Paramount is now in life support? maybe Sony will goes and buy the scraps of the company?(and what will Sony do here? will buy Columbia as OTL?) or ironically will be Desi Arnaz?

You've made a great wrong in the worse, the timeline would have been better if Paramount would have won and leave Lucas kicked out of Journey of the Force(as OTL the was the only responsible of Star Wars Fiasco)... But the trial was Amazing and kudos to Andrew T(you're a lawyer) because the trial was so realistic and all, even the veredict.

So the Paramount is now in life support? maybe Sony will goes and buy the scraps of the company?(and what will Sony do here? will buy Columbia as OTL?) or ironically will be Desi Arnaz?

But Marcia is now there to restrain him, and has IIRC more creatibe veto than OTL.

Now why would an electronics company buy a movie studio? That's the one thing I don't get.

You've made a great wrong in the worse, the timeline would have been better if Paramount would have won and leave Lucas kicked out of Journey of the Force(as OTL the was the only responsible of Star Wars Fiasco).

It's obviously going to be a while before the Lucases see any of the money - assuming that they don't lose on appeal somewhere down the line. They're also still going to be blackballed by the large Hollywood studios; The court case has effectively indicted all of the studios for their creative accounting practices.

In any case, I would expect that Paramount (or whoever buys them) will still own the copyright on Journey of the Force. It's quite likely that they will not be in the mood to make a sequel and they definitely won't be involving either George or Marcia in the production if they do make more movies.

I wonder if George might decide that his career would progress better overseas. He might end up making a film at Elstree after all. He could even write some scripts for the BBC as a freelancer. Would he write SF for Doctor Who or Blake's 7 or would he be more interested in straight Drama ? Play for Today was still going strong and that might give him a platform.

I can't wait to see what sketch show commedians make of the trial. Imagine a court room scene populated with characters from Journey of the Force. The Empire is suing the Rebellion for intellectual property theft, trespass and malicious damage ...

Cheers,
Nigel.

Thande

Donor
A great and unorthodox twist to the TL. I wonder what projects Lucas will pursue in the future, it's likely this experience will have an effect on him. For example, in any future dystopian works a la THX-1138 he might push the 'all-powerful evil corporation' angle a bit more, albeit hopefully more subtly than in the Star Wars prequels.

One hopes that Lucas' company also goes into videogames in TTL as well, albeit perhaps not in the same way...

never tell me the odds

LMAO!!

A fascinating and highly entertaining read. Also a very topical one w.r.t. massive corporations that somehow manage to operate for years whilst reporting nothing but losses at the end of every tax year. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

Last edited:
Now why would an electronics company buy a movie studio? That's the one thing I don't get.

Because since the 80's(or early, i'm still studying about it), Sony cease to think thenselves as a mere electronics company, but more the traditional japanese Keretsu(or the Zaibatsu of old time) as an multilevel, multibusiness company, they enter into Music business by their experience with the walkman and later cinema thanks to the experience with projector and other films electronics.

Still thinking what butterflies will do.

That would depend on whether Lucy could afford it in light of already expanding her post-production side recently

Then again, if - after all of this - George wants to go on with a sequel to Journey of the Force, then Lucy might decide to back such a project in which case picking up those convenient facilties would make sense...

Excellent stuff. The more I learn about Hollywood Accounting, the more amazed I am that an equivalent Trial of the Century never happened IOTL. Yes, there have been lawsuits (Stan Lee vs Marvel over the Spider-Man movie, for example), but nothing I can think of that grabbed the headlines and made everyone say "They're doing what?"

Well! I want to thank you all for your enthusiastic response to this latest update! This is one which I've been planning for quite some time - perhaps the first really potent shocker since the now-infamous Humphrey Revelation from way back when. (And to my delight, the wonderful custodians of my TV Tropes thread caught on to my intent.) Many of you are already outlining your predictions for the future of both Paramount and Lucasfilm as a result of this verdict, which are great fun to read. Obviously I won't confirm or deny anything in particular, other than to remind you that this saga will have two more parts - and those of you with a passing knowledge of the judicial system in the United States should be able to connect the dots on that point alone. In any event, that said, as always, the time has come for me to respond to your comments...

I must admit that I didn't think that the slang meaning of "Birds" was well enough known Stateside for the pun to work. Since both you and e of pi say that it is, obviously I'll take your word for it. It makes Birds of Baltimore a good cultural translation of The Liver Birds (in fact almost too good for Hollywood :D).

I'm sure they'll screw it up somehow :D
Oh, you two :D But in all seriousness: shows crossing the Pond have had such a hit-and-miss record IOTL, it really does seem to be dumb luck as to whether each one succeeds or fails. However, I've usually found that those which were, in fact, successful were able to find their own niche distinct from their parent program. And lest we forget, not a few shows have crossed the Pond in the other direction, and far less often with positive results. For every Law & Order: UK, there must have been a dozen or so Brighton Belles.

Well I ploughed through and a fascinating read. Somewhat depression as I knew there was a lot of corruption in many big businesses but something that blatant I think even the banks would be nervous about doing.:eek::eek::eek:
Amazing what you can get away with when you control the media, isn't it? So much for the Fourth Estate holding the other three accountable...

stevep said:
You also hint that, it being an election year, there will be some unforeseen consequences. Possibly this will mean a lot of candidates making commitments for legislation to prevent such frauds then seeking ways of wiggling out of it?
I can tell you that the fallout from Hollywood accounting will lead to it becoming an election issue. Whether any victorious candidates who campaign on a platform of ending the practice then renege on their promise upon taking office is something that will remain to be seen.

Paramount is finished. The only question is who snaps up the remains, and how soon till the other dinosaurs collapse.
I admire the boldness of your claim, but don't forget that Paramount has filed an appeal, which it could very well win (or at least drastically reduce the damages it owes).

You've made a great wrong in the worse, the timeline would have been better if Paramount would have won and leave Lucas kicked out of Journey of the Force(as OTL the was the only responsible of Star Wars Fiasco)... But the trial was Amazing and kudos to Andrew T(you're a lawyer) because the trial was so realistic and all, even the verdict.
Thank you, Nivek, but I feel that you're being unfair to George - he hasn't yet... "matured" into the character whom I call Jorge, the man wholly responsible for the prequels. And he won't ever become so, for as long as he continues to accept criticism and challenge from others (particularly Marcia, who alone could talk him out of a bad idea).

Nivek said:
So the Paramount is now in life support? maybe Sony will goes and buy the scraps of the company?(and what will Sony do here? will buy Columbia as OTL?)
Sony did not purchase Columbia Pictures until 1991 IOTL, and recall that, at this point (IOTL and ITTL), they still have the Betamax years to get through.

But Marcia is now there to restrain him, and has IIRC more creative veto than OTL.
An excellent observation, Francisco. Beyond her own narrative arc, Marcia also functions as a ballast to her husband George, the solid ground to his flights of fancy.

Sony had aspirations to form a media empire as far back as the era of the POD, in fact, forming what would eventually become Sony Music in 1968, and then diversifying into home video with Betamax, and then buying the MGM Studios in 1989, and Columbia in 1991. At the same time, they formed a lopsided partnership with Nintendo in the video games industry - fortunately, Nintendo cottoned on to them, but alas, Sony then decided to go it alone and were very successful in doing so. So it's something that happened gradually, over a long period of time, and (as Nivek points out) can be attributed to a change in the corporate culture at Sony.

Anyways, great update, Brainbin! Someone should turn that into a film or TV series. :p
Thank you, Dan! There's actually a pretty good chance that we could see a "Trial of the Century" television movie - though I imagine those producing it would be far less concerned with legal accuracy than I was in writing the actual update ;) (No doubt our friend Taylor - who doesn't much care for legal dramas - would be most displeased.)

It's obviously going to be a while before the Lucases see any of the money - assuming that they don't lose on appeal somewhere down the line. They're also still going to be blackballed by the large Hollywood studios; The court case has effectively indicted all of the studios for their creative accounting practices.
Very well said, Nigel. By no means is this over - not by a longshot. Even though the Lucases may have won their very own Battle of Yavin, the rebellion continues.

NCW8 said:
In any case, I would expect that Paramount (or whoever buys them) will still own the copyright on Journey of the Force. It's quite likely that they will not be in the mood to make a sequel and they definitely won't be involving either George or Marcia in the production if they do make more movies.
Well, the rights to Journey of the Force will have a monetary value in and of themselves, don't forget. George has enough pride that, if Paramount ends up owing even a token sum to Lucasfilm at the conclusion of the appeals process, he'd almost certainly be willing to accept owning Journey of the Force in lieu of the equivalent value in cash.

NCW8 said:
I wonder if George might decide that his career would progress better overseas. He might end up making a film at Elstree after all. He could even write some scripts for the BBC as a freelancer. Would he write SF for Doctor Who or Blake's 7 or would he be more interested in straight Drama ? Play for Today was still going strong and that might give him a platform.
I really don't see that happening, to be honest. George Lucas really does not strike me as a freelance teleplay writer. Even if he did, remember that Marcia is working at Desilu Post-Production in Los Angeles, and the two of them would become separated for long stretches of time if he were to work in England, and he'd be away from his daughter.

NCW8 said:
I can't wait to see what sketch show comedians make of the trial. Imagine a court room scene populated with characters from Journey of the Force. The Empire is suing the Rebellion for intellectual property theft, trespass and malicious damage ...
I like that idea a lot! And maybe one of them could end with Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise interrupting the trial? :D

A great and unorthodox twist to the TL. I wonder what projects Lucas will pursue in the future, it's likely this experience will have an effect on him. For example, in any future dystopian works a la THX-1138 he might push the 'all-powerful evil corporation' angle a bit more, albeit hopefully more subtly than in the Star Wars prequels.
Thank you, Thande, and you're absolutely right. An elephant never forgets, and neither does George Lucas!

Thande said:
One hopes that Lucas' company also goes into videogames in TTL as well, albeit perhaps not in the same way...
Well, Lucasfilm needs to make money somehow, right? And Marcia does have an in with TWR, who has the deal going with Syzygy...

I'm glad that you liked that :D And that somebody commented on it - including that line was originally a joke by e of pi. He quoted that as I was writing Taylor's lines in the previous paragraph (about how low the odds were) - and with his encouragement, I wrote George's impassioned (by his standards, anyway) speech around the line.

nixonshead said:
A fascinating and highly entertaining read. Also a very topical one w.r.t. massive corporations that somehow manage to operate for years whilst reporting nothing but losses at the end of every tax year. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
I'm glad you enjoyed it, nixonshead! As you point out, Hollywood studios certainly aren't the only ones who play games with their bottom line - but sadly, they're the only ones who are allowed to so brazenly continue doing so, without any repercussions. At least those other companies which are caught get a slap on the wrist!

Very interesting spin. This is going to have big effects going forward...
Thank you, vultan, and that is certainly a massive understatement...

Why can't Desilu buy a bankrupt Paramount, and get back in the movie business?
Desilu was never in the movie business. They're strictly a television outfit - the studio was formed to produce I Love Lucy. Desilu Post-Production does editing and effects work for movie studios, that's all. Not to mention, they've been phenomenally successful sticking to television and its ancillary revenue streams - why bother getting into movies?

That would depend on whether Lucy could afford it in light of already expanding her post-production side recently.
Glad you're still reading, drakensis! You raise an excellent point. In fact, TWR also has plans for some of the surplus money she's been accumulating, which you will discover in very short order. But they're certainly far less expensive than buying out a movie studio would be - I don't think that's too much of a spoiler.

Excellent stuff. The more I learn about Hollywood Accounting, the more amazed I am that an equivalent Trial of the Century never happened IOTL. Yes, there have been lawsuits (Stan Lee vs Marvel over the Spider-Man movie, for example), but nothing I can think of that grabbed the headlines and made everyone say "They're doing what?"
Thank you, Daibhid - and of course, you're absolutely right. But when every studio is part of various conglomerations that control all the means of disseminating this information - which run the gamut across the entire political spectrum, from hard-left to hard-right - it's not surprising that you can only find useful information about Hollywood accounting practices in sources outside the mainstream media. Back in the late-1970s, conglomeration was not nearly as complete as it is today - all three networks were still unaffiliated with any of the movie studios, for instance, and the independently-owned newspapers of the era all had much larger circulations - which allows for the "Trial of the Century" to be an actual story which is thoroughly covered (and dissected, and repudiated, etc., etc.) Today? The story wouldn't stand a chance of getting proper coverage.

And lest we forget, not a few shows have crossed the Pond in the other direction, and far less often with positive results. For every Law & Order: UK, there must have been a dozen or so Brighton Belles.

Probably not so many as British stations are more willing to broadcast the original American series rather than remake them.

Very well said, Nigel. By no means is this over - not by a longshot. Even though the Lucases may have won their very own Battle of Yavin, the rebellion continues.

They've still got a way to go. In fact, you might describe it as the Journey of the Torts.

Well, the rights to Journey of the Force will have a monetary value in and of themselves, don't forget. George has enough pride that, if Paramount ends up owing even a token sum to Lucasfilm at the conclusion of the appeals process, he'd almost certainly be willing to accept owning Journey of the Force in lieu of the equivalent value in cash.

I'd have thought that, out of spite, selling George the rights to Journey of the Force would be the last thing that Paramount would do. Of course, if Paramount went bankrupt, the new owners might be more reasonable about it.

I really don't see that happening, to be honest. George Lucas really does not strike me as a freelance teleplay writer. Even if he did, remember that Marcia is working at Desilu Post-Production in Los Angeles, and the two of them would become separated for long stretches of time if he were to work in England, and he'd be away from his daughter.

Well, I was wondering what options George has if he is still being blackballed by Hollywood. He could make a movie abroad (which is what he did OTL). He could move to work in television (which is what Marcia is doing). You're probably right - he's unlikely to consider combining both of those options. Of course, if he actually got his billion dollars, he could finance his own films. I've got a very bad feeling about this ...

Cheers,
Nigel.

Never tell me the odds
I think I just got chills. Amazing post. I loved the entire trial and I'm usually not a fan of courtroom drama.

You know it would be such delicious irony if ITTL Desilu ended up buying out Paramount:D

Last edited:
While it's nice to see justice really being done, would this cause problems down the line for Desilu for keeping Marcia onboard?
Another big thing I must ask is about the fate of that cornerstone of 80's media, the merchandise driven show. Will He-Man and Transformers still be around? Will the Moral Guardians that always caused problems try to shut them down?

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Man, things do move on apace, here abouts. :cool:

Cracking stuff, Brainbin.
Not commenting much (as pretty much everything that occurs to me upon reading has been raised and addressed by the time I catch up), but just wanted to say I'm still thoroughly enjoying your TL.

One thought that does occur, assuming the award isn't entirely reversed on appeal, how about paying the damages in shares?

Highly unlikely but it would leave intriguing scope for future mischief. :p

Superlative job, as ever.

Falkenburg

They've still got a way to go. In fact, you might describe it as the Journey of the Torts.
That is positively groan-worthy, Nigel. I salute you :cool:

NCW8 said:
I'd have thought that, out of spite, selling George the rights to Journey of the Force would be the last thing that Paramount would do. Of course, if Paramount went bankrupt, the new owners might be more reasonable about it.
Remember, Bluhdorn has always put his money before most anything else - this has benefits as well as drawbacks, and pragmatism over spite is one of the former.

NCW8 said:
Well, I was wondering what options George has if he is still being blackballed by Hollywood. He could make a movie abroad (which is what he did OTL). He could move to work in television (which is what Marcia is doing). You're probably right - he's unlikely to consider combining both of those options. Of course, if he actually got his billion dollars, he could finance his own films. I've got a very bad feeling about this ...
Am I supposed to respond to that with the infamous Big "NO!"? :p

I think I just got chills. Amazing post. I loved the entire trial and I'm usually not a fan of courtroom drama.
Thank you so much for your profuse praise! It is greatly appreciated :)

PitViper said:
You know it would be such delicious irony if ITTL Desilu ended up buying out Paramount:D
It would certainly be appropriate, though I must once again remind everyone that Desilu doesn't make movies (maybe I should make that a new catchphrase ;))

While it's nice to see justice really being done, would this cause problems down the line for Desilu for keeping Marcia onboard?
Assuming they come out of all this with the Billion-Dollar Verdict headed their way, most likely. But that won't be for quite some time.

ryu238 said:
Another big thing I must ask is about the fate of that cornerstone of 80's media, the merchandise driven show. Will He-Man and Transformers still be around? Will the Moral Guardians that always caused problems try to shut them down?
You'd better believe that will be a major topic of discussion later on ITTL. I'll likely devote a whole update to it, in fact.

Man, things do move on apace, here abouts. :cool:

Cracking stuff, Brainbin.
Not commenting much (as pretty much everything that occurs to me upon reading has been raised and addressed by the time I catch up), but just wanted to say I'm still thoroughly enjoying your TL.
Glad you're still reading, Falkenburg, and that you're still enjoying what I have to offer, since you go way back :)

Falkenburg said:
One thought that does occur, assuming the award isn't entirely reversed on appeal, how about paying the damages in shares?

Highly unlikely but it would leave intriguing scope for future mischief. :p
An intriguing theory, although I imagine that the logistics involved would be rather prohibitive...

Falkenburg said:
Superlative job, as ever.
Thank you so much for your kind words!

On another note, this marks my 350th post to this thread! I would have celebrated that milestone with the More to Come, but I felt obliged to respond to this second wave of responses to my latest update first. Therefore, it pleases me to announce that the More to Come for 1980-81 will be ready tomorrow! So, until then...

Desilu was never in the movie business. They're strictly a television outfit - the studio was formed to produce I Love Lucy. Desilu Post-Production does editing and effects work for movie studios, that's all. Not to mention, they've been phenomenally successful sticking to television and its ancillary revenue streams - why bother getting into movies?

But Desilu's physical studio was bought from RKO, which did make movies, including King Kong, The Gay Divorce and Val Lewis' wonderful Cat People.

So in that sense they'd be returning the physical studio to movie production.

Why bother getting into movies? Ah... sequel to Journey of the Force and a Star Trek film?

But that is up to you, isn't it! :)

Also, I got behind in my reading and only now can respond to the Trial of the Century.

Fantastic! That Andy Taylor really wrestled Paramount right down to the mat and put them in a head lock, didn't he? I couldn't help but imagine Taylor wearing white, linen suits.

I wonder if Griffith followed the trial and developed an interest in playing a character based on the real (ITTL) Andy Taylor?

More To Come... Right After These Messages

The "present date" is March 25, 1980 (a Tuesday). Leading the entertainment section in most of the morning papers - not to mention the morning talk shows - is coverage of the disastrous premiere (and finale) of The George Carlin Show, which was so highly disastrous that it was even able to displace the shocking cliffhanger series finale of Texas (in which T.R. Walsh is shot, and possibly killed, by an unknown would-be assailant) from the headlines. Considering that it, in turn, had followed shortly on the heels of the already-infamous "Trial of the Century", the verdict of which had been delivered less than one month before, it certainly proves that early 1980 will be a period that the entertainment industry will not soon forget. Contrast, as always, can be demonstrated with two neighbouring studios in Hollywood, who are facing vastly different fortunes as active production on the 1979-80 television season comes to an end. Desilu Productions is resplendent; Paramount Pictures, on the other hand, is facing catastrophic circumstances.

But 1980 is a year that promises to be at least as eventful in the fields of sport and politics as it has already been (and will continue to be) for the mass media. Both the Olympic Games, and the United States Presidential Election, take place on a fixed quadrennial schedule, and (perhaps fittingly) both will therefore coincide with each other. President Ronald Reagan, having faced a most challenging first term, is trying for a second, and will face multiple challengers on the road to victory... or defeat. Will he be the first incumbent President to be defeated on a vote of the people in nearly a half-century, since fellow Republican Herbert Hoover in 1932? And though the American Party seems united behind a candidate, who in the crowded Democratic field will emerge as his main challenger? And which faction of that "big tent" party will he (or she) represent?

---

So, what can we expect next, and all on account of that wacky redhead?

We'll be taking our usual general overview of the next production and broadcast season: 1980-81.

We'll revisit the most celebrated periodic sporting event in the world, with coverage of the Summer (and Winter!) Olympics of 1980... but in addition, we'll also experience the movements of professional major league teams playing in North America, as various markets find themselves jockeying for position.

There will be an in-depth look at the proliferation of options available to the television viewer with the advent and implementation of new technologies, with and without the use of terrestrial transmitters, as the era of the three dominant networks enters what will eventually snowball into a terminal decline.

Our exploration of pop culture will continue with an exploration of how interactive media and home video will collide in the new decade.

Appendix B will return once again as we analyze the US elections of 1980, which many pundits are already describing as the most important since... the previous ones.

And, finally, since the dawn of a new decade means the conducting of a new census, we will be investigating the findings on those who were surveyed.

All this and more, coming up on... That Wacky Redhead!

---

Acknowledgements

As always, I would like to take the opportunity to express gratitude for the invaluable assistance of my many and varied consultants - e of pi, truth is life, vultan, Thande, Andrew T, and Dan1988 - without whom this timeline would assuredly not be nearly as enjoyable for you to read, nor for me to write.

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce that, after nearly a year and a half, this post marks my return to the status of most prolific poster on my own thread! :cool: