Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Thanks for the compliment! As for the effect on party politics it hasn't changed that there are two parties that predominate int the US since it is still a majoritarian system. The general impact though is to keep down the impact of multiple candidates splitting votes and resulting in less desired candidates winning. It also tends to mean politicians need to try to appeal or at least not completely alienate factions who while perhaps not being their favorite they at least don't actively go against. Overall impact is that people feel their vote matters more and politics tends to be more civil (at least between factions - candidates still mudsling each other).

ah, thank you very much. so, if I read you right, that would mean that when going to vote, one would be presented with a ballot that had multiple candidates running under each of the major parties, right?

Glen

ah, thank you very much. so, if I read you right, that would mean that when going to vote, one would be presented with a ballot that had multiple candidates running under each of the major parties, right?

That is sometimes the case, yes.

Glen

The transition of the vampire from the folkloric to the literary began in the 18th century, most strongly in the lands of the Germans, with works such as Heinrich Ossenfelder's short poem The Vampire and perhaps even more so by the narrative poem Lenore by Gottfried August Bürger. Even the famed Johann Wolfgang von Goethe incorporated vampiric elements into his story The Bride of Corinth.

christabel.gif

The beginning of the 19th century saw a brief flurry of vampires in English literature. Robert Southey owns the honor of the first poem in English literature to feature a vampire in it, albeit in a minor appearance. It was the second work, Samuel Taylor Coleridge's five part poem, Cristabelle. The work entirely revolves around a seductive and mysterious female vampire, and set many of the early motifs of the vampire in later literature. An interesting side note is that both writers were part of short lived utopian communes, Southey on a farm in Wales and Coleridge a settlement in America (which was even more short-lived than Southey's experiment). Cristabelle was adapted for the stage by by French writer Charles Nodier and then later by Heinrich Marschner as an opera, moving the action of the story to Wallachia. It was the Jewish Hungarian author Marvin Bley who first brought the infamous Blood Countess, Elisabeth Báthory, into the realm of the literary vampire, reimaging her as a vampire who had escaped her walled in room to once more prey upon innocent women. His story drew inspiration from Hungarian poet János Garay's Báthori Erzsébet as weill as the earlier Lenore and Cristabelle. Bley's Countess Bathory was translated into many other languages, including English, and spawned its own imitators and sequels by other authors. Bathory or Bathory surrogates (usually in the guise of English noblewomen) appeared in several pieces of Southern Gothic works after the Slaver Uprising. However, as the 19th century wore on, the vampire in English literature became scarce.

countess+dracula+1971+2.jpg

The second wave of vampire stories in literature was a subversive one that grew up in the Korsgaardian East. As the Korsgaardist Empires started to impose cultural and intellectual homogeny within their borders, it became harder for dissident thought to be expressed. Samuel Strupinsky was the first of the second wave vampirists who cloaked his counterculture thoughts in the clothes of 'folklore', creating a new vampire, Count Bathory, a masculinized version of Bathory. Count and Countess Bathory stories as well as other 'aristocratic' vampire stories proliferated in the East, often pitted against overly pious priests and popinjay Prussian-style officials, was mistaken by the establishment as culturally based folklore, but those in the know recognized the subtext of the works. The vampirist second wave was finally revealed for its true nature after the fall of the Korsgaardists in the wake of the Global War. These second wave works became wildly popular in the German Empire, and from there found their way into the West, which would set the stage for the development of the modern vampire in the 20th century.

Last edited:

Glen

So Vampires will retain more of thier Slavic qualities than OTL? Cool.

Well, more Eastern and Central European, at least. But if you note the links, there are a lot of things that are carrying through. Coleridge's Cristabel (spelled Cristabelle in the ATL) is much more prominent in the development of the vampire story here, in part because he actually completes it, and in part because several other English Vampire pioneers have been partly or wholely butterflied, and by the time that others might arise to take their place the times have moved on. The role that was played by the Victorian Era vampire is now played by the Korsgaardist Era vampire (which is even more subversive than the Victorian role).

Actually, in the New World, vampires pick up a bit of a drawl and a dash of voodoo from Southern Gothic influences that will be remembered in the modern era.

Glen

Well, more Eastern and Central European, at least. But if you note the links, there are a lot of things that are carrying through. Coleridge's Cristabel (spelled Cristabelle in the ATL) is much more prominent in the development of the vampire story here, in part because he actually completes it, and in part because several other English Vampire pioneers have been partly or wholely butterflied, and by the time that others might arise to take their place the times have moved on. The role that was played by the Victorian Era vampire is now played by the Korsgaardist Era vampire (which is even more subversive than the Victorian role).

Actually, in the New World, vampires pick up a bit of a drawl and a dash of voodoo from Southern Gothic influences that will be remembered in the modern era.

Oh, and of course here it is the name Bathory that will be synonymous with Vampire, not Dracula.

Oh, and of course here it is the name Bathory that will be synonymous with Vampire, not Dracula.

So... I guess it's called the Elizabeth Bathory Award ITTL.

I don't even wanna know what alt-Stephenie Meyer's vampires are gonna look like.

I've spent an hour or two a day for the last fortnight reading through this TL, and I'm finally up to date. :)

This an absolutely fantastic TL, Glen. While I appreciate the military and diplomatic stuff, that alone can make for a good TL, but nothing outstanding. Your TL delivers much more than this, discussing ATL political theory and ideals, as well as ATL culture. You've actually fleshed out a whole new world, which makes for a brilliant read. I look forward to following as the updates continue to roll in, now that I'm caught up. :cool:

Oh, and subscribed!

Glen

I've spent an hour or two a day for the last fortnight reading through this TL, and I'm finally up to date. :)

This an absolutely fantastic TL, Glen. While I appreciate the military and diplomatic stuff, that alone can make for a good TL, but nothing outstanding. Your TL delivers much more than this, discussing ATL political theory and ideals, as well as ATL culture. You've actually fleshed out a whole new world, which makes for a brilliant read. I look forward to following as the updates continue to roll in, now that I'm caught up. :cool:

Oh, and subscribed!

Thank you for your kind words and your patronage! Welcome aboard!!

Having just finished reading Dracula for the first time I must say I love this update.

So, would I be right in my Belief that the the vampire in this TL is archetypally female, and that vampirism has been portayed earlier as a potentially desirable condition?

This is absolutely fantastic, you will have to do a segment it when it develops.

Lastly: I really do hate to bother you over this, but, It looks like you might be missing a word or two here, and I can't quite puzzle out what it means.

Bathory or Bathory surrogates (usually in the guise of English noblewomen) appeared in several pieces of Southern Gothic works after the Slaver Uprising. However, as the 19th century wore on, the vampire in English literature.

Glen

570px-Jacob_und_Wilhelm_Grimm.png

The Brothers Grimm during the early days of the forming Empire of Germany

Jacob and Wilhelm, the Brothers Grimm, were integral to establishing the new German identity in the first half of the 19th century. Having come from humble origins, the family struggled until Jacob and Wilhelm published their collections of German fairy tales. The work was a seminal one in starting to create a sense of shared identity among the disparate peoples of the fractured German states. It also brought the Grimms much needed recognition, including honarary doctorates. This work would eventually lead to their appointments as professors at the University of Göttingen, which would fall in the territory of the Kingdom of Hanover. As the Grimms moved on to further works in the German language including etymology, they also became active in liberalist and pan-German activities. They were particularly fortunate to be in the lands of Hanover, which were relatively friendly to such activities compared to the leadership in some of the other German principalities, especially after the Napoleonic Wars. Their outspoken views on these subjects led to their selection as representatives to the new German legislature that formed in Hanover once the Prussians cracked down on Westphalia. The Grimms were among those who had a hand in writing the new German constitution. The Brothers Grimm would continue to split their time between their professorial duties in Göttingen and the German legislature in the city of Hanover until old age claimed them in the early 1860s.

The Brothers Grimm as distinguished Parliamentarians near the end of their lives
Grimm.jpg

Glen

Having just finished reading Dracula for the first time I must say I love this update.

Great to hear!

So, would I be right in my Belief that the the vampire in this TL is archetypally female, and that vampirism has been portayed earlier as a potentially desirable condition?

Yes, female (with overtones of lesbianism or bisexuality), and I suppose a potentially desirable condition, especially in the latter 19th century second wave.

This is absolutely fantastic, you will have to do a segment it when it develops.

Maybe once we get to the movies...;)

Lastly: I really do hate to bother you over this, but, It looks like you might be missing a word or two here, and I can't quite puzzle out what it means.

Ah, the last two words should be 'became scarce'. Corrected, thanks for pointing it out!