Medieval America Co-op Project

As a trucker, I would like to possibly make some changes to the roamer description.

The Roamers

Without a doubt, North America would be a much poorer place without the Roamers, both economically and culturally.

Roamers are groups of extended families and social groups who ... well, roam. The crisscross the former US in wagon trains called "convoys", which they have maintained for the past thousand years. Roamers claim to have kept their traditions since before the fall, when the first Roamers traveled in huge metal ships across the land.

Roamers are merchants first and foremost, and the main trade routes are maintained largely because of them. All three of the main trade routes - The Mother Road, the Golden Road (San Francisco to Chicago, stopping in Salt Lake), and the Salmon Road (Portland to St Louis, following the Missouri), have corresponding convoys. Many grumble that roamers charge too much for their services, but none can deny that they are efficient - they are, after all, one of the few people the plainsmen won't attack (legend says the roamers saved the Rizzinis from extinction in the distant past, and use this as leverage to cross the Great Plains unscathed).

Culturally, Roamers are a mish-mash of almost every group on the continent, having drawn people from most areas. Their religion is Christian, though they've syncretizised it with practically every faith on the continent. They wear whatever their local traditions denote, though they tend towards brightly colored shirts, scarves, and bandanas. Roamers also enjoy music, and their convoys at night are filled with sounds of guitars, pipes, singing, and laughter. Roamers do have a unique set of non-demonational religious figures though, unique to them. The two most well known are St. Mak, patron saint of rigs, who is venerated through the placement of a bulldog on the front of their wagons to protect them from breaking and St. McNally, patron saint of direction who's veneration is supposed to protect roamers from becoming disoriented.

Roamers all have two names. Their common names are a bizarre selection of names from every language on the continent, and are always the names they use when dealing with merchants or anyone who isn't a roamer. Their other name or “handle” is their secret name, which is always given to them by another roamer, and is not used when talking to anyone who isn't a member of their convoy. They also use a unique series of numbers and slang to warn themselves and to pass information (only two are used in front of strangers, 10-0 [Danger!] and 10-4 [Affirmative]). Roamers also use unusual terms when referring to certain aspects, though. The better known ones are "Smokey" (Lancer), “Scalehous” (Inspection point or border crossing), "Parking Lot" (Any open space where the convoy stops), and "Rig" (Wagon) . Everyone, of course, recognizes the two short loud horn calls that signal a convoy approaching.

Anyone who is willing can attempt to become a member of a roamer clan or convoy, although most that do are men. New members start out in the “Lumpa” class, unloading and loading goods from wagons, and apprenticing under the wagon masters known as “Driva”. Either after a certain amount of time, or when the wagon's current driva dies, the lumpa will take over command of the Rig. Due to the fact that there are many more men than women in most convoys, most women in convoys are hired on prostitutes known as “Lizards”. A lizard will negotiate to serve the sexual needs, cleaning and cooking for one or two rigs in exchange for either a small share of the trip's profit or for transportation from one area to another. Some lizards can be contracted longer periods of time, and can even become members of the driva class themselves, although females only make up about 10% of driva and around 30% of the people in any convoy.

Last edited:
A Dissertation on the Politics of the Lakeland nations
written by the Monk Abraham of Kentuck

Few deny that the State of Michigan(the locals sometimes call it their nations names like "Kingdom" or "Empire", translating the heathen "Roi" title of the Quebeckers they once repelled) is the predominant power of the Great Lakes, but very few understand just how that power came to be, nor how it is being fought constantly in our current age.

The original expansion of Michigan happened during the Quebecois Crusades against our peoples. While the other nations were absorbed in their own issues, Michigan answered the Church's call and set up countless forts and outposts along the northern wilds of the Lakes. These forts would prove invaluable in keeping the Quebeckers out and, along with the cooperation of the wilder Canuk peoples(A/N: The Great Lakes are often percieved as being of the same stock as the nomadic raiders just north of them by other regions, if "civilized" versions of them.) the heathens were kept out of our lands and some of the old Union was even reclaimed.

Once the Crusades were over, the small forts were not abandoned. It soon became clear to the other Canuk states that by not involving themselves, they had allowed Michigan to gain an almost complete monopoly on the Lake Trade, a situation that they found intolerable. Ironically, in the Lake that bears Michigan's name, the first step against that monopoly was taken as the Governor(King) of Wisconsin and the Mayor of Chicago jointly chartered the Grand Laker Company, ostensibly to better represent themselves in trade as a united front, but in reality as a challenge to Michigander control.

Few other nations joined, and to this day it is largely a Wisconsinite, Chicagoan and a Superian venture. Minnesota and Illinois(prior to the Iowan invasion, of course) were much more concerned with matters on land and raiders there, while Indiana is too poor to give much support. The States of Canada, Ohio, and even a few ships from the Steel Nation continue to compete only for their own interests.

It should be noted, though, that the GLC is constantly filled with tensions between its Wisconsinite and Chicagoan factions. This was particularly evident in the aftermath of the Iowan conquests. Wisconsin had barely emerged from the conflict with Madison in their hands, while Chicago had openly abandoned its liegelord in Springfield in exchange for a decent bribe from the Iowans. The only thing that has kept the company together is the continued fear of vassalization by Michigan, but the two former allies continue to eye eachother warily.

By the way, I think I've come up with a solution to the terminology confusion for the Canadian-area nomads.

East US: Canuks, seen as the uncivilized cousins of the Great Lakes nations and supposedly citizens of the Glorious Old Union(TM)

West US(untamed Great Plains to California): Kanadians. With no nation claiming the title of "Canada", the remaining nomads west of the Mississippi are often called by a correct name, if badly misspelled.

Hokay, so I've finally finished going over the canon (what there is in the way of canon, anyway), and I want to contribute. While I know someone has already done Virginia, honestly, it was rather dull, and I feel my fair commonwealth deserves a little more panache, if that's alright.

Commonwealth of Virginia
Government: Feudal Kingdom, theoretically elected monarchy, in practice hereditary
Capital::Richmond
Religion: Non-dom
Current Head of State:Governor Nathaniel Byrd II

The Commonwealth of Virginia is a relatively small kingdom sandwiched between several larger powers. To the north and east is the core territory of the United States. To the west are the Appalachian clans. To the south is the Carolinas. Denied access to the coast and the outlet of most major rivers, it is relatively poor. However, it does have two major exports of note:

First, are its horses. Virginia is famous for its horses, a mix of highly prized ancient bloodstocks. Horse-raising is a way of life for many of its inhabitants, and veneration of the horse saturates the culture. Most of the Lancer knightly class can ride before they can walk. As a result, the Commonwealth fields a variety of excellent cavalry. While the best horses go into battle, many are sold to other states, where they are prized possessions.

The second is wine. Virgina wine-making came of age relatively late in its history, but by the Event, it was well established, and continued on during the Neo-Medieval period. Much of it is exported further south to nations that cannot grow wine.

Other exports are agricultural products, including tobacco in the south, coal, and very small amounts of gold.

Being surrounded as it is, the Commonwealth is somewhat militarized as a state (though one could say that for many feudal states). Under the current governor, several ways of expansion have been fought, mostly to the west in the Shenandoah valley, breaking and subsuming the clans there, and into the Rappahannock river valley to the north. The latter is considered historically part of Virginia, and thus is a major target (it also includes more prime horse-raising territory. The cavalry of course has played a key role, particularly against the Appalachian clans, but archers are growing in prominence, as a counter to the superb infantry of the US.

The government is a monarchy, theoretically elected but now in the power of one family, the Byrds. However, they must contend with the other aristocratic families of Virgina, who are quite powerful in their own right. However, due to constant politically motivated marriages, nearly all the nobility in Virginia is now related to each other, which could spell trouble later down the line. Assisting the Governor is the Assembly, a "high court" of nobles, upper-class merchants and other tradesmen, and church officials. The government still resides in Richmond, the "city of seven hills", along with the main armory for the kingdom.

Other major cities include Charlotsvill, home of several shrines to St. Thomas Jefferson, a major figure in the Non-dom church, Lynchburg, a major mining center, Lexington and Harrisonburg, fortresses guarding the western frontier, and F'burg, a major trade post and frontier fortress controlling the main bridge across the Rapphannock.

Also of note is the Free State, a small quasi-independent feudal state located in the "ravine country" around the upper Rappahannock. It has managed to preserve its autonomy by pledging fealty to both Virginia and the US, and playing the two powers off each other. In most other ways in resembles an Appalachian hold out, and is noted for the strength of its moonshine.
While I like the more fleshed out entry, I'll hold off til jmberry can comment on it.

As a trucker, I would like to possibly make some changes to the roamer description.

The Roamers

Without a doubt, North America would be a much poorer place without the Roamers, both economically and culturally.

Roamers are groups of extended families and social groups who ... well, roam. The crisscross the former US in wagon trains called "convoys", which they have maintained for the past thousand years. Roamers claim to have kept their traditions since before the fall, when the first Roamers traveled in huge metal ships across the land.

Roamers are merchants first and foremost, and the main trade routes are maintained largely because of them. All three of the main trade routes - The Mother Road, the Golden Road (San Francisco to Chicago, stopping in Salt Lake), and the Salmon Road (Portland to St Louis, following the Missouri), have corresponding convoys. Many grumble that roamers charge too much for their services, but none can deny that they are efficient - they are, after all, one of the few people the plainsmen won't attack (legend says the roamers saved the Rizzinis from extinction in the distant past, and use this as leverage to cross the Great Plains unscathed).

Culturally, Roamers are a mish-mash of almost every group on the continent, having drawn people from most areas. Their religion is Christian, though they've syncretizised it with practically every faith on the continent. They wear whatever their local traditions denote, though they tend towards brightly colored shirts, scarves, and bandanas. Roamers also enjoy music, and their convoys at night are filled with sounds of guitars, pipes, singing, and laughter. Roamers do have a unique set of non-demonational religious figures though, unique to them. The two most well known are St. Mak, patron saint of rigs, who is venerated through the placement of a bulldog on the front of their wagons to protect them from breaking and St. McNally, patron saint of direction who's veneration is supposed to protect roamers from becoming disoriented.

Roamers all have two names. Their common names are a bizarre selection of names from every language on the continent, and are always the names they use when dealing with merchants or anyone who isn't a roamer. Their other name or “handle” is their secret name, which is always given to them by another roamer, and is not used when talking to anyone who isn't a member of their convoy. They also use a unique series of numbers and slang to warn themselves and to pass information (only two are used in front of strangers, 10-0 [Danger!] and 10-4 [Affirmative]). Roamers also use unusual terms when referring to certain aspects, though. The better known ones are "Smokey" (Lancer), “Scalehous” (Inspection point or border crossing), "Parking Lot" (Any open space where the convoy stops), and "Rig" (Wagon) . Everyone, of course, recognizes the two short loud horn calls that signal a convoy approaching.

Anyone who is willing can attempt to become a member of a roamer clan or convoy, although most that do are men. New members start out in the “Lumpa” class, unloading and loading goods from wagons, and apprenticing under the wagon masters known as “Driva”. Either after a certain amount of time, or when the wagon's current driva dies, the lumpa will take over command of the Rig. Due to the fact that there are many more men than women in most convoys, most women in convoys are hired on prostitutes known as “Lizards”. A lizard will negotiate to serve the sexual needs, cleaning and cooking for one or two rigs in exchange for either a small share of the trip's profit or for transportation from one area to another. Some lizards can be contracted longer periods of time, and can even become members of the driva class themselves, although females only make up about 10% of driva and around 30% of the people in any convoy.
Nice. I guess I'll approve it unless someone has some serious issues.

Hokay, so I've finally finished going over the canon (what there is in the way of canon, anyway), and I want to contribute. While I know someone has already done Virginia, honestly, it was rather dull, and I feel my fair commonwealth deserves a little more panache, if that's alright.

Commonwealth of Virginia
Government: Feudal Kingdom, theoretically elected monarchy, in practice hereditary
Capital::Richmond
Religion: Non-dom
Current Head of State:Governor Nathaniel Byrd II

The Commonwealth of Virginia is a relatively small kingdom sandwiched between several larger powers. To the north and east is the core territory of the United States. To the west are the Appalachian clans. To the south is the Carolinas. Denied access to the coast and the outlet of most major rivers, it is relatively poor. However, it does have two major exports of note:

First, are its horses. Virginia is famous for its horses, a mix of highly prized ancient bloodstocks. Horse-raising is a way of life for many of its inhabitants, and veneration of the horse saturates the culture. Most of the Lancer knightly class can ride before they can walk. As a result, the Commonwealth fields a variety of excellent cavalry. While the best horses go into battle, many are sold to other states, where they are prized possessions.

The second is wine. Virgina wine-making came of age relatively late in its history, but by the Event, it was well established, and continued on during the Neo-Medieval period. Much of it is exported further south to nations that cannot grow wine.

Other exports are agricultural products, including tobacco in the south, coal, and very small amounts of gold.

Being surrounded as it is, the Commonwealth is somewhat militarized as a state (though one could say that for many feudal states). Under the current governor, several ways of expansion have been fought, mostly to the west in the Shenandoah valley, breaking and subsuming the clans there, and into the Rappahannock river valley to the north. The latter is considered historically part of Virginia, and thus is a major target (it also includes more prime horse-raising territory. The cavalry of course has played a key role, particularly against the Appalachian clans, but archers are growing in prominence, as a counter to the superb infantry of the US.

The government is a monarchy, theoretically elected but now in the power of one family, the Byrds. However, they must contend with the other aristocratic families of Virgina, who are quite powerful in their own right. However, due to constant politically motivated marriages, nearly all the nobility in Virginia is now related to each other, which could spell trouble later down the line. Assisting the Governor is the Assembly, a "high court" of nobles, upper-class merchants and other tradesmen, and church officials. The government still resides in Richmond, the "city of seven hills", along with the main armory for the kingdom.

Other major cities include Charlotsvill, home of several shrines to St. Thomas Jefferson, a major figure in the Non-dom church, Lynchburg, a major mining center, Lexington and Harrisonburg, fortresses guarding the western frontier, and F'burg, a major trade post and frontier fortress controlling the main bridge across the Rapphannock.

Also of note is the Free State, a small quasi-independent feudal state located in the "ravine country" around the upper Rappahannock. It has managed to preserve its autonomy by pledging fealty to both Virginia and the US, and playing the two powers off each other. In most other ways in resembles an Appalachian hold out, and is noted for the strength of its moonshine.

Change the ruler's name back to Bob Donovan, and get rid of that Free State, and change Fredericksburg's name to something easier to pronounce ("F'burg?"), and I'd be willing to accept this.

Change the ruler's name back to Bob Donovan, and get rid of that Free State, and change Fredericksburg's name to something easier to pronounce ("F'burg?"), and I'd be willing to accept this.

If I may ask, why Bob Donovan?

As for the other two:
The Free State is based on an actual historical entity that existed (and some argue, still exists as a state of mind) in the area I described. I find it rather plausible that given the weak government control that comes with feudalism, it might arise again.

F'burg is actually the local nickname for Fredericksburg-it's a bit less of a mouthful. And at least it's less silly than the other local nickname, "Fred Vegas" (oh, I wish I were joking....)

If I may ask, why Bob Donovan?
I felt nicknames would become actual names in their own right as English developed. I went with Bob specifically because it's short for Robert, which was both my grandfather's name and the name of a certain famous Virginian. George is also named after a famous Virginian.

Ok, that's understandable, but what's the reference with the last name? I chose Byrd as a reference to the infamous Byrd machine, which basically ran Virginia along almost feudal lines for over twenty years.

I'd think that something like Freddieburg would be pretty natural.

Sorry for jumping in. This project fascinates me, but I just haven't joined because I'm involved in so many others right now.

Eh, Freddiesburg just sounds odd to me. I've never heard any of the locals use it, either.

Not Freddiesburg, Freddieburg. Actually, the most likely thing is to take the dialectical pronunciation and imagine what it would sound like after repeating it several billion times. That's how Isca became Exeter. Right now it's pronounced something like Fredjiksburg, isn't it? That might contract to Fredgesburg --> Fredgeburg. How about it?

Other possibilities could be Fredsburg, Fredger, Fredsber.

Last edited:
No, right now it's pronounced "Fredricksburg". I can't see that changing much, unless they decide to keep the contraction (F'burg) instead. Charlottesville is also referred to in the same way as "C-ville" but they're pretentious enough not to let it slip.

Ok, that's understandable, but what's the reference with the last name? I chose Byrd as a reference to the infamous Byrd machine, which basically ran Virginia along almost feudal lines for over twenty years.
Not all of these names are references (President Eden was more than enough). I was thinking of William Donovan when I named him, but the two aren't related.

Reviving this with a new entry:

The Siber

The Siber, also known as the Yakuti, are an Indo-European culture who live to the north of China. Horse-riding, yak-hunting nomads, they often raid into Manchuria when resources become scarce. Ordinarily, the Son of Heaven would deal with them, but the current Zheng ruler is of the opinion that if it isn't south of the Great Wall, it isn't important (there is, of course, a reason why the Zheng have fallen so far). The Siber speak a language that grew out of Russian, with several Mongol and Chinese influences. Siber culture is reminescent of pre-industrial Mongolia, with some key Russian themes remaining, like the Cyrillic alphabet and Orthodox Church. Many of the terms used came from the only horse-riding tradition the old Russians knw, which is why Siber chiefs are called "Hetmans." They Siber, while mostly nomadic, do have a few trade towns - Yakutsk, Irkutsk, Okhotsk. However, one Siber city does exist, the port city of Vladivostok the Beautiful.

Krasivaya Vladivostok
Government: Mercantile City State, ruled by an elected Boyar
Capital: Vladivostok
Religion: Siber Orthodox Church (Buddhist, Tengriist, and Taoist minorities)
Current Head of State: Rodion Vyacheslavovich, of Clan Derevenko

Vladivostok, known as "the Beautiful (Krasivaya)" to its inhabitants, is the largest Siber settlement in existance, a port city of six thousand souls. Vladivostok is located at a nexus of trade routes, leading to Goguryeo, the Shogunate, Zheng China, the Mongol khans, the Siber hetmans, and ultimately the Russian princes to the west. Vladivostok rules all the land from the border town of Najin to the Amur River, and it also disputes Sakhalin with the Hosokawa. These features have made Vladivostok extremely wealthy, and this led to Boyar Vladimir Dmitriovich's renovation of the city a century ago, hence the nickname. Rodion Vyacheslavovich, the current Boyar, belongs to the militaristic Derevenko clan, and he entertains thoughts of ending the Sakhalin dispute by force. When he's done with Sakhalin, Rodion dreams of moving north and forcing the hetman of Okhotsk to kneel before him, or even marching west to Harbin and stealing Manchuria from the febble grasp of the Zheng. That the other clans would not go for such foolish measures has not, will not occur to him.

Hendryk

Banned
The Siber, also known as the Yakuti, are an Indo-European culture who live to the north of China.
Interesting. So they are mostly descended from Russians who adopted a nomadic lifestyle? With, I suppose, a fair bit of intermarriage with East Siberian natives?

Not sure about their influence extending all the way to Yakutsk, though. That's deep in taiga country, not the same thing as the steppe at all, unless they have fused with the Sakha/Yakuts altogether--in which case they should display a stronger "Mongoloid" character.

Meanwhile, the Buryats have probably reasserted their independence and set up a semi-sedentary kingdom centered around Lake Baikal. They're in a good position geographically to trade with the Tibetans to the South (with whom they have cultural and religious ties), the Kazakhs and other Turkic peoples to the West, and the Sibers to the East.

Reviving this with a new entry:

The Siber

The Siber, also known as the Yakuti, are an Indo-European culture who live to the north of China. Horse-riding, yak-hunting nomads, they often raid into Manchuria when resources become scarce. Ordinarily, the Son of Heaven would deal with them, but the current Zheng ruler is of the opinion that if it isn't south of the Great Wall, it isn't important (there is, of course, a reason why the Zheng have fallen so far). The Siber speak a language that grew out of Russian, with several Mongol and Chinese influences. Siber culture is reminescent of pre-industrial Mongolia, with some key Russian themes remaining, like the Cyrillic alphabet and Orthodox Church. Many of the terms used came from the only horse-riding tradition the old Russians knw, which is why Siber chiefs are called "Hetmans." They Siber, while mostly nomadic, do have a few trade towns - Yakutsk, Irkutsk, Okhotsk. However, one Siber city does exist, the port city of Vladivostok the Beautiful.

Krasivaya Vladivostok
Government: Mercantile City State, ruled by an elected Boyar
Capital: Vladivostok
Religion: Siber Orthodox Church (Buddhist, Tengriist, and Taoist minorities)
Current Head of State: Rodion Vyacheslavovich, of Clan Derevenko

Vladivostok, known as "the Beautiful (Krasivaya)" to its inhabitants, is the largest Siber settlement in existance, a port city of six thousand souls. Vladivostok is located at a nexus of trade routes, leading to Goguryeo, the Shogunate, Zheng China, the Mongol khans, the Siber hetmans, and ultimately the Russian princes to the west. Vladivostok rules all the land from the border town of Najin to the Amur River, and it also disputes Sakhalin with the Hosokawa. These features have made Vladivostok extremely wealthy, and this led to Boyar Vladimir Dmitriovich's renovation of the city a century ago, hence the nickname. Rodion Vyacheslavovich, the current Boyar, belongs to the militaristic Derevenko clan, and he entertains thoughts of ending the Sakhalin dispute by force. When he's done with Sakhalin, Rodion dreams of moving north and forcing the hetman of Okhotsk to kneel before him, or even marching west to Harbin and stealing Manchuria from the febble grasp of the Zheng. That the other clans would not go for such foolish measures has not, will not occur to him.
Very interesting.

I was originally holding off on approving any Russian entries because way back in the beginning CW asked to do it, but since he never touched this thread again, I think it's safe to say Russia is open for new entries as anyone wishes to.

Interesting. So they are mostly descended from Russians who adopted a nomadic lifestyle? With, I suppose, a fair bit of intermarriage with East Siberian natives?

Not sure about their influence extending all the way to Yakutsk, though. That's deep in taiga country, not the same thing as the steppe at all, unless they have fused with the Sakha/Yakuts altogether--in which case they should display a stronger "Mongoloid" character.

Meanwhile, the Buryats have probably reasserted their independence and set up a semi-sedentary kingdom centered around Lake Baikal. They're in a good position geographically to trade with the Tibetans to the South (with whom they have cultural and religious ties), the Kazakhs and other Turkic peoples to the West, and the Sibers to the East.
That's what I was going for, yes. I don't much -well, anything - about the Yakuts or Buryats, so any information on them wouyld be helpful.

I think it's safe to say any claims on regional info have long since expired, so we need to determine who needs to be done. I can think of France and Germany, South Africa probably needs a revision, and we still have Brazil and Argentina to take care of.

Hendryk

Banned
That's what I was going for, yes. I don't much -well, anything - about the Yakuts or Buryats, so any information on them wouyld be helpful.
Both peoples are offshoots of the Mongols. The Yakuts, who speak a language related to Turkish, moved en masse into deep Siberia sometime in the 13th century, and displaced the local Paleosiberian tribes already living there much like the Navajo did when they moved to the American Southwest. Their belief system is based on Mongol animism, though since the late 19th century many have converted, at least formally, to Orthodox Christianity.

The Buryats mostly live around Lake Baikal and practice a semi-nomadic lifestyle. They also used to be animistic but since the 17th century have for the most part converted to Tibetan Buddhism.