Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
And from an Axis Spain to an Allied Spain...

"Invasion of Republican Spain by an annoyed Hitler, with help from his Italian buddies (and a few Vichy-types)

PoD something like *hand-wavey* Franco dies, splintering the Nationalists, more support from Britain and France with a few regular battalions disguised as International Brigades. They manage to defeat the Nationalists in the majority of the country by 1937. The Condor legion, refusing to evacuate until the last minute, very nearly being caught, manage to bomb the town of Guernica as one last act of revenge.

The start of the war goes pretty similar to OTL, mostly minor differences in time scales, casualties etc. A slightly more bloody Dunkirk-esque event for Britain. Means they are more willing to reinforce the Spanish armies in August 1940 when Hitler crosses the Pyrenees.

...or something. *Shrug*"

thats interesting: i'd like to see how the war will continue with that front.:D

Hapsburg

Banned
You've created a state in which, to go from modern demographic data (and the DTM favours the Turks) has elevon million Greeks ruling over fifteen million conquered Turks, and you expect ethnic harmony
I wasn't thinking about it like that. The problem I thought of was purely practical- how is Greece going to provide social services for a now-doubled population so suddenly? Hence why I suggested them just booting a lot of people out of Istanbul.

But Iori's idea is the most plausible.
Yes. I just went and added it to my TL in the thread.

Last edited:
I didn't get around to finishing this in time for the MoF 03. Its still not complete, there would be some more info or flags in the empty spot. Rather the focus on one area of the world, say Europe or North America, I chose to focus on the three wanked nations specifed by the challenge.

It could be better. I haven't put any texturing on, and as I said above, there is the empty space.

Thoughts?

MoF_03__Averted_Peninsular_War_by_Raven_the_5th.png

planet Terrneva, 2870 years after the colonial transport MIMAS crashed down on the planet (after being pulled into an unknown region of space by a unknown hyperspace effect).

I didn't get around to finishing this in time for the MoF 03. Its still not complete, there would be some more info or flags in the empty spot. Rather the focus on one area of the world, say Europe or North America, I chose to focus on the three wanked nations specifed by the challenge.

It could be better. I haven't put any texturing on, and as I said above, there is the empty space.

Thoughts?

Amazing maps.

Population transfers, then?
Plus, this is some thirty years in the future; I could easily have that Greece experienced a population boom and something happened that caused a lot of people to move out of Istanbul. Maybe immigration to Greece? Or maybe Istanbul is under Greek administration for a trial period and this map is in the middle of that?
Either way, it's too late to change it now. So, do that fanon thing. :p

Well, he's into Turcowank. Seeing Istanbul in Greek hands is like getting his dick injected with Black Widow venom.
I, OTOH, don't really care either way. :D

But the borders are mostly identical anyway. ;)

The population of Istanbul is nearly 20 million. The population of Greece is barely half that. That's quite a population boom.

Also, the Turkish army fully mobilized is as large as the population of Greece, so good luck with that.

It's just lame and stupid, not to mention revolting how casually you throw genocide into the mix.

Hapsburg

Banned
1. I never mentioned genocide. I only suggested the perhaps they would have evicted people to relieve the strain of suddenly taking in that many citizens. I never even considered that ethnic strife shit.

2. Irrelevant now, since I changed the TL so that Istanbul isn't Greek territory.

There are some bad maps in this thread and some truely awful ones...fortunately this map is neither and you certainly deserve a pat on the back with that one.

I add my voice to the chorus of praise. To my mind the most impressive thing is not the excellent style, but the fact that you managed to fit so many labels in without the whole thing looking cluttered.

Wow! I'm determined to get the hang of mapmaking one day, but I feel that I'll never be able to even contemplate matching this!

Heh, seriously well done, maps like this make up for trawling through every balkanised USA, every JPEG, every Gall-Peters projection, every odd colour scheme, every space-filling Empire and all the other signs that cause Krall to rant about (when he isn't kicked that is).

Now, what was that website...

[Head explodes at required effort]

That is simply magnificent.

My goodeness, that is map utopia! It looks a bit like Greece.

I completely forgot to shower praise on your work Sapiento ><

*showers*

1. I never mentioned genocide. I only suggested the perhaps they would have evicted people to relieve the strain of suddenly taking in that many citizens. I never even considered that ethnic strife shit.

2. Irrelevant now, since I changed the TL so that Istanbul isn't Greek territory.

Very well, carry on, then. ;)

Just keep in mind that the historical Treaty of Lausanne population exchange was a total humanitarian disaster for both countries for decades, and that involved a total of 2M people. Try that with 20M... It can't go well. Come to think of it, where would Greece get the people to put there? The population of Istanbul is twice Greece's - you'd have some pretty lonely Greeks.

The population of Istanbul is nearly 20 million. The population of Greece is barely half that. That's quite a population boom.

Also, the Turkish army fully mobilized is as large as the population of Greece, so good luck with that.

1. No it is not - the population of Istanbul according to 2008 census is 12,697,164 and the total population of all of European turkey (Edirne, Kirkalareli, Tekirdag and Istanbul provinces) comes to 14,114,333. Nearly twenty million? Jog on son, you need to go back to school and learn to add.

2. Erm, no it is not. Including all branches of the Turkish military (not just the "army") - Army, Airfoce and Navy, reserves and paramilitaries - the combined total comes to 1,043,550 and Greeces population 11,259,285... erm yea. Granted Turkey has a very large army but bigger than that of the entire greek population? You really didn't excell in maths at school.

While I can understand your patriotic urges to stand up for your own country, the fact that you Turkowank even the bare reality of our own TL as it stands today destroys much of the credence to your argument.

And yes, I do agree with Hapsburg that you Mr Abdul Hadi Pasha are strongly inclined towards the Turkowank side of things, reguardless of the most likley outcome.

Russell

Susano

Banned
Abdul said the Turkish military fully mobilised. Which is just a fancy way of saying Turkey has more healthy males in the right age bracket than Greece has population all in all, I guess ;)

Abdul said the Turkish military fully mobilised. Which is just a fancy way of saying Turkey has more healthy males in the right age bracket than Greece has population all in all, I guess ;)

That's a possability, however I took fully mobilised for it's current military, such as the reserves and paramilitaries, as civilians are not the military.

And yes, I do agree with Hapsburg that you Mr Abdul Hadi Pasha are strongly inclined towards the Turkowank side of things, reguardless of the most likley outcome.

Russell

NNobody has ever produced an example of his doing this. Sure, the whole point of his planned timeline is more succesful Ottomans, but the PoD is a plausible and fascinating one. Where he has ever just proclaimed that Turkey can go anywhere and do anything, rather than correcting the enormous misconceptions which are drille dinto us in the west. Are you suggesting that greek Constantinople is "the more likley outcome"?

Jog on.

1) While I can understand your patriotic urges to stand up for your own country, the fact that you Turkowank even the bare reality of our own TL as it stands today destroys much of the credence to your argument.

2) And yes, I do agree with Hapsburg that you Mr Abdul Hadi Pasha are strongly inclined towards the Turkowank side of things, reguardless of the most likley outcome.

Russell

1) Pasha is not a Turkish-patriot. It seems to me that he HATES the current Turkish Nationalism and Kemalism....

2) You certainly has never seen Pasha so enthusiastic about suggesting someone to sacrifice Ottoman Empire in order to achieve his TL's goal to fill US with muslims or to help wanking and modernizing Persia with a right PoD to do so.

If anything, Mr. Abdul Hadi Pasha is for Islamo-wank. But as a professing muslim, frankly I doubt it because he is a non-religious gay man. But I'm maybe biased... ;)

Everyone gets a bit precious about something here. That's allowed, isn't it? Good design, their own nationality, someone else's nationality, history, religion, their pet ideology, in-jokes, whatever. Everyone does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.