Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not begin to adequately express the pure awesomeness of that map.

Oh, also, was it intentional or not that the world looks sort of like Greece?

planet Terrneva, 2870 years after the colonial transport MIMAS crashed down on the planet (after being pulled into an unknown region of space by a unknown hyperspace effect).
The freight of the MIMAS consisted of: 300.000 colonists including material and animals bound for planet Roma Nova (Roman Revivalists/low level tech), 40.000 colonists bound for planet Triibaaldii (Inventive Creativists) and 15.000 frozen specimen of recreated sauroids including 40 persons of scientific staff bound four planet Crichton's Vision.
After loosing modern technology (which the Roman Revivalists didn't have too much anyway) civilization rose again and the Celesians (descendants of a group of the Roman Revivalists) built the largest empire on the planet. The actual level of technology is comparable to mid 16th century Terran Standard Calendar. Language is a bastardized form of Latin.

The pictures of the ships and dinosaurs I took from Wikipedia, everything else is my creation. Mountains and trees are brushes I found in the resources thread on www.cartographersguild.com - for its September Challenge I made the map.

If you find the labels hard to read, go to this map on my deviantART account and click 'download' to get the original size.
I don't usually like fantasy maps, but how in the bejebus did you make it look that good???

planet Terrneva, 2870 years after the colonial transport MIMAS crashed down on the planet (after being pulled into an unknown region of space by a unknown hyperspace effect).
The freight of the MIMAS consisted of: 300.000 colonists including material and animals bound for planet Roma Nova (Roman Revivalists/low level tech), 40.000 colonists bound for planet Triibaaldii (Inventive Creativists) and 15.000 frozen specimen of recreated sauroids including 40 persons of scientific staff bound four planet Crichton's Vision.
After loosing modern technology (which the Roman Revivalists didn't have too much anyway) civilization rose again and the Celesians (descendants of a group of the Roman Revivalists) built the largest empire on the planet. The actual level of technology is comparable to mid 16th century Terran Standard Calendar. Language is a bastardized form of Latin.

The pictures of the ships and dinosaurs I took from Wikipedia, everything else is my creation. Mountains and trees are brushes I found in the resources thread on www.cartographersguild.com - for its September Challenge I made the map.

If you find the labels hard to read, go to this map on my deviantART account and click 'download' to get the original size.

The_Celesian_Empir

Really good looking.

I can not begin to adequately express the pure awesomeness of that map.

Oh, also, was it intentional or not that the world looks sort of like Greece?

Thanks.:D
No, I just wanted to create a continent with large peninsulas and became aware of the similarity when I finished the raw map. But I saw no reason to change the shape.

This is, in every way, the best thing I have ever seen on this site.

Thanks a lot. :D

I don't usually like fantasy maps, but how in the bejebus did you make it look that good???

Thanks. :D And it's a sci-fi map, to be correct. ;)
I can only recommend to go to www.cartographersguild.com. There are plenty of tutorials. Although I used none of it for this map (by now I've got enough experience for this style to do it my way), there are some which describe how to make old-looking maps. I recommend the tutorial by Ascension, it is the best for this style of map.

Really good looking.

Thanks.

Plz tell me you have a tutorial for making a map like that. Thats just epic.:D:D:D:D

I refer to the answer to Nymain1. Thanks :D

Last edited:

Dang Dude...Very Impressive. So what's the Map's year in A.D.?

planet Terrneva, 2870 years after the colonial transport MIMAS crashed down on the planet....
[/IMG]

There are some bad maps in this thread and some truely awful ones...fortunately this map is neither and you certainly deserve a pat on the back with that one.

Hapsburg

Banned
Impressive. Both maps. Especially the sci-fi one. Just...mapgasm.

Anywho. My unimpressive contribution.
Europe and the Near East, circa 2035. After the end of the war between NATO and the Middle Eastern pact, Jordan consumed all of Arabia and Greece was expanded at Turkey's expense. Iran had many lands returned to her. Turkey was booted out of the European Community, though her membership with NATO was maintained out of necessity.

EDIT: Because apparently no one pays attention to anything any more, I have to actually say this:
THIS IS A CONTINUATION FROM MY 1967+ MARK 2 TL. EVERYTHING YOU SEE MAKES SENSE IN CONTEXT.

Europe 2035.png

Last edited:
CUT CARTOGRAPHIC BRILLIANCE

Wow! I'm determined to get the hang of mapmaking one day, but I feel that I'll never be able to even contemplate matching this!

Heh, seriously well done, maps like this make up for trawling through every balkanised USA, every JPEG, every Gall-Peters projection, every odd colour scheme, every space-filling Empire and all the other signs that cause Krall to rant about (when he isn't kicked that is).

Now, what was that website...

[Head explodes at required effort]

Impressive. Both maps. Especially the sci-fi one. Just...mapgasm.

Anywho. My unimpressive contribution.
Europe and the Near East, circa 2035. After the end of the war between NATO and the Middle Eastern pact, Jordan consumed all of Arabia and Greece was expanded at Turkey's expense. Iran had many lands returned to her. Turkey was booted out of the European Community, though her membership with NATO was maintained out of necessity.

:rolleyes: This is stupid.

Hapsburg... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. Where should I start, between the border changes in nothern Europe or the madness that seems to have inflitrated everything in the south?

That is simply magnificent.

Now here is 1942 in the expanded Russia/Soviet series. Hmm.. I guess German allies color looks like the British occupation colors. Did I ever mention it's a Berlin-Rome-Madrid axis? So that ugly burnt yellow is Spain's occupation zones.

Soviet Wank 1942.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.