Status
Not open for further replies.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
well well well, were back to this, here are the next 3: Bhutan, Bolivia and Bosnia and Herzegovina...oh boy.
Bhutan:
View attachment 288738
Colors:
yellow: 255-242-0 orange: 242-121-0
Symbolism: the yellow represents civil tradition and temporal authority of the king. the orange represents Buddhism.
Changes: all tho cool and powerful, i took out the dragon because as ive said before, its just to complicated and hard to recreate so i just well took it out.
This one's been explained enough, but yeah, removing the dragon because 'it's to complicated' is, as with removing the Sun of May on the Argentine flag, lazy flag making and rather misses the point.
red: 213-0-0 yellow: 255-242-0 green: 0-128-0
Symbolism: the red stands for, say it with me!, "the blood of those who fought for their freedom!" the yellow stands for the wealth of resources, and the green represents the richness of the natural areas and also hope.
Changes: i took out the coat of arms because, well, look above at the changes of Bhutan.
That's the Civil Flag of Bolivia.
Bosnia and Herzegovina:
View attachment 288758
Colors:
yellow: 255-198-0 blue: 0-57-148
Symbolism: the 3 points of the triangles represent the 3 people groups (the Bosniaks,Croats, and Serbs), the the triangle its self represent the map of the nation which looks like a triangle, the stars represent Europe, the white, blue and yellow represent peace.
Changes: i took the blue rectangle on the right (fly) side because it didn't look correct to me and (as far as i've seen) it didn't have any symbolism so i thought: why have it?

there ya go, the newest installment of "New World Flags" the next 3 will be Brazil, Brunei and Burkina Faso. and as always, hope ya like!
Yeah and that's just the normal flag with a big cut off.

I mean, for something truly unique and different, whilst retaining a 90's Punk feel, I'd of gone with something like this, Carlos Westendorp's third proposal:
Flag_of_BiH_%28third_Westendorp_proposal%29.svg

And of course it also has the added benefit of visually representing the interlocking communities that make up B&H.

Hello, Me:

I give this advice/echo the thoughts of others, from the perspective of someone who has very little artistic ability and who generally prefers simplicity in flag design. Most of the people who post here do so in order to put forth flags that might have been or might yet be, not flags that they think just look better, though that ends up being the case often enough. If you give solid historical/allohistorical rationales for your designs, rather than merely stating the symbolism (which seems very repetitive), that would go much further toward engendering favorable opinions.

P.S. Your earlier plagiarism (and I do note that you have apologized for that) also tends to make people badly predisposed toward your efforts. Time, and original, well-thought-out designs will be the best way to get past this, to the extent you can.

These three are my favorites- although may I say they're all pretty decent.
Thanks! I'm still pretty new to the whole vexillology thing, so I'm still finding my feet, but I'm getting better quickly, I think!

And here's a flag I just made: the United Kingdom of Mercia and Northumbria! I took the colors directly from samples I found on Google and Wikipedia with the help of this lovely little tool, so the coloration should be correct, and I'm almost certain that the flag is symmetrical, so construction wise I'd call this a success :D

n9lTAEb.png

As for the history behind it, well...that's a whole different story :p A personal union, maybe? One king swearing fealty to the other as part of an arrangement of joining their strengths? A different origin for England? Someone doing some timeline screwery with future tech? Just the result of butterflies going out of control?

Thanks! I'm still pretty new to the whole vexillology thing, so I'm still finding my feet, but I'm getting better quickly, I think!

And here's a flag I just made: the United Kingdom of Mercia and Northumbria!

I cannot comment as to the historical background, but I like the design. That said, the two different shades of yellow are grating. I would pick one or the other, and use it.

I cannot comment as to the historical background, but I like the design. That said, the two different shades of yellow are grating. I would pick one or the other, and use it.
I've got to agree with you on that. I think the two shades of yellow from the different flags are clashing with one another, so I tried swapping the blue and yellow of the Mercian flag around, to see if it'd make it prettier by separating the two colors.

w5S9Kgg.png

The colors don't clash as much as before, that's for sure, but the Mercian yellow is just an eyesore, and that's coming from someone from the region :p It's just too bright a shade of yellow over too much area. Going with the dimmer gold of the Northumbria flag, without extending the bars, gets us this:

fabffa37-c87e-4fcd-a39f-d4219404afa6
y1OslcU.png

It looks nice, but makes the Northumbrian part of the flag too dominant - it'd work if Northumbria inherited Mercia, but not the other way around, and maybe not even then without extending the bars all the way. So, going a little outside the box, I decided to take a page out of the UK's book and try and overlap them...

inAnXTJ.png

And voila! I think this is a lot better than the original and any of the previous versions, but that might be just me, since I think the clash between the two colors isn't that bad when the Mercian yellow is the smaller of the two pairs, whilst both kingdoms are still represented on the flag as a whole :D

ok, ok...after a long afternoon, i have come up with the next 3: Brunei, Chad and China. i took all of your critics and such and did my best so, here we go:
Brunei:
upload_2016-9-26_18-20-44.png

Colors:
yellow: 255-242-0
Symbolism: the yellow represents the sultan of Brunei and is means royalty in south east Asia, the white and black represent the chief masters (white is the first master and black is the second)
Changes: i tried my best to keep the diagnel design and just get rid of the CoA but i just couldn't so i did the next best thing...vertical tricolor...kind of? and as in the current flag, the white is a bit thicker than the black.
Chad:
upload_2016-9-26_18-32-36.png

Colors:
blue: 0-0-128 yellow: 255-242-0
Symbolism: the blue represents the sky and hope, the yellow represents the sun and desert, and the black represents the people.
Changes: the current flag is very good but it is exactly the same as Romania (other than half a shade darker blue) so i decided one of them had to change and i just picked for Chad to be changed, fun side note: i was going to change the red to green instead of black, but it didn't look to good and black looked better to me, BUT i will change it if you guys do not like it.
China:
upload_2016-9-26_18-57-15.png

Colors:
red: 213-0-0 yellow: 255-242-0
Symbolism: the red background stands for the Chinese revolution, the yellow represents unity under the communist party, the big star represents the communist party, the stripe represents the Yellow river, and the four little stars represent the 4 social classes (the working class, the peasantry, the urban petite bourgeoisie and the national bourgeoisie)
Changes: i took one of Mao Zedong's designs (the same flag without the stars) and added the stars because they represent the communist party and it is a strong symbol of the communist party (other than the hammer and sickle).

*sigh* there we have it, next will be the Cook Islands, Dominica and Ecuador. see ya then and as always, hope ya like!

what about the Dominican Republic? Columbia? Denmark? Everyone else?
i am skipping countries that in my opinion are good and dont need changing, and also the Colombian flag is one of my favorites (also the quickest way to make a Colombian mad is to spell it with a u) along with Poland, their flag is awesome! and the best definition of simplicity.

Way too hard. Real life US and Liberian counties are extreme pros at cancer-inducing MS Paint-derived vexillology. How can we compare? :biggrin:

Now there's a good challenge: create flags for every single US county that look good, and are not just a seal or map of the county slapped on a solid field.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Way too hard. Real life US and Liberian counties are extreme pros at cancer-inducing MS Paint-derived vexillology. How can we compare? :biggrin:

Hey I'm sure if we just insert a few hundred more stars and stripes it'll start to look good, I'm sure of it. Quantity is quality, that's how that goes innit?

Alan Hardy

Banned
Did some maths behind this one. New Union Flag. Based on a 1200x600 pixel version I calculated the respective areas of Red White and Blue. If arranged in that order, 450 pixels Red, 404 pixels White and 346 pixels Blue. Looked very boring. But making the Red and Blue areas into triangles, and placing it on a 700x400 pixel outline (4:7 ratio) the Blue area is almost exactly a 45 degree triangle. Now this also does not take into account the Welsh Flag. Not wishing to go beyond 3 colours I've stipulated that any technical band in the hoist be Black with a Gold or Yellow highlight or fringe. Also spec that any eyelets be gold plated.
The Red Triangle is 3/4qrts the flag length and Blue one is almost 7/12ths.

Last edited:

Alan Hardy

Banned
Using it in the cantons of flags that are co-connected to the UK may look like this in the case of the British Antarctic Territory. First 3/7th of the flag would be the co-enabler the rest would be a square patch...

or

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.