Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

Lada, not Yugo?

Have one of the privates constantly trying to defect, but no one will have him.

Another great idea! Maybe have him split and buy a Eurolines bus ticket to Paris and ditch the crew, only to have the tank accedently rear end the bus (since he was the driver and the only one who knew how to actually drive it). The tank crew gets out and the bus driver jumps out to start screaming at them. The try and "trade insurance information" but in the process they see their tank driver on the bus and then chase him down.

We can also have a guy on the tank crew who keeps selling pieces of the tank on the black market little by little as well with each stop.

And I thought Yugo since it had a bit of a higher profile in TTL, but yeah, Lada works as well. :p

What is the domestic policy of John Engler? Having witnessed the collapse of his state's largest industry, I imagine him being like a Rockefeller Republican: Tough on crime, big on public spending, creating some kind of Works Progress Administration. I am curious as to how Mr. Engler's presidency would go in this TL, but I don't doubt him becoming one of the most highly rated presidents of the 21st century.

In OTL Engler was very much seen as a leader of the conservative movement, but here he is somewhat tainted by the federal bailout of GM. I sort of saw it as similar to OTLs bailout of the U.S. financial system in 2008, and the blowback against Bush by Republicans for it. There is NO way any governor of Michigan could let GM go under without a fight, and in TTL desperation caused him to do what most Republicans think is the worst possible option: nationalization of GM. So the question becomes "how does he respond to this?" Sometimes politicians who go against their base start to overcompensate in the future...to "prove he is still one of them." I sort of think Mitt Romney and John Kerry fell in this category. Other times they embrace their new role and turn towards the center. Jerry Brown, Christine Todd Whitman, Scott Brown and Jon Runyan came to mind in regards to this category. Although it is his claim to fame, I don't consider John McCain to be one of these per se, but an argument can be made for him as well.

This in turn gets to the issue of how will Engler respond to being brushed with the Rockefeller Republican label? Well, based on how he governed in Michigan, I think he would (1) still retain a core conservative foundation but (2) not be afriad to be called a RINO and go that route if he felt it was what was needed. With the fall of Zhirinovsky, the world would start the slow road to economic recovery, and Engler would have a very tough road. I think what we will see in TTL is something similar to what we saw in the 2014 election as opposed to the 2010 and 2012 election: the Republicans are better at keeping the hard right in check whereas the Democrats are having trouble keeping the hard left in check. It is sort of a role reversal with the Tea Party in OTL in 2012. Also, the nomination of Paul Wellstone in TTL in 2004 give the Republicans a win in a race that otherwise might have gone the other way. I always liked Wellstone as a person, he seemed really down to earth and a decent guy, but I don't think he could have ever won a national election as he was seen as way to liberal. Having him get nominated here was a plus here in that he survives in TTL. But I don't see him pulling off the win over a President who is seen as somewhat moderate (even when he's not) and who is not afraid to buck the system with his own party. I think by 2008 we would have the overall sluggish economy finally catch up to the Republicans and the Democrats will finally nominate someone with cross-over appeal in JFK Jr. As a result I see Engler going down as a decent, but not great, president.

But what is interesting here is this: the USSR never really goes away in TTL...at least in regards to US foreign relations and the constant threat of nuclear war. So Ronald Reagan may not be seen in the same way by everyday Americans and particularly Republicans.

In fact, the Ronald Reagan of TTL might be...Bob Kerrey! :eek:

Im rereading ZRE as part of a yearly tradition and well done Pellegrino its one of those stories even when you re read it you love it even more. I am remembering stuff i hadnt in a while

Pellegrino,

Thanks for your great work. I must say, your knowledge of Russian politics of the 90s is most impressive.

By the way, have you seen this youtube channel?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZAHINHO/videos

It has some of the more recent speeches by Zhirinovsky with English subtitles. May be somewhat interesting as a source material. :)

Pellegrino,

Thanks for your great work. I must say, your knowledge of Russian politics of the 90s is most impressive.

By the way, have you seen this youtube channel?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZAHINHO/videos

It has some of the more recent speeches by Zhirinovsky with English subtitles. May be somewhat interesting as a source material. :)

Thank you! I take great pride when someone from Russia says that this TL is well researched. :) I know it was a very difficult to make this scenario realistic, but I am happy that people felt that it was presented well...especially someone who is familiar with the region.

And that youtube channel is great!

I loved the one posted 2 days ago, where Zhirinovsky was on the Russian version of the Tonight Show interviewing kids and dressing like Santa Claus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQST8afA1kg

Well, another "life imitating art" moment here...:eek:

http://rt.com/news/219563-putin-army-foreigners-contractors/

Foreign Legion: Contactors from abroad allowed to serve in Russian army

Published time: January 03, 2015 12:50
Edited time: January 03, 2015 14:36 Get short URL

putin-army-foreigners-contractors.si.jpg
RIA Novosti / Alexandr Kryazhev

5.9K79435

FacebookTwitterRedditStumbleUponGoogle+Tumblr

Tags
Army, Law, Military, Russia

Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree which lets foreign citizens serve in the Russian army as contractors.
“Military men, who are foreign citizens, can participate in carrying out the tasks during military situations, and also during armed conflicts, in accordance with admitted principles and norms of international law, international treaties of the Russian Federation, and the Russian legislation,” the decree said.
There are a few exceptions to the rule, though: a foreign citizen who is under investigation or facing trial, has a criminal record, or has served prison time cannot be a hired gun in Russia’s army.

crisis-payment-bear-chain.si.jpg
Russian President Vladimir Putin (AFP Photo / Alexander Nemenov)

Also, the decree recognized the Ukrainian military service for Russian citizens living in Crimea “upon presenting the originals of documents”, which confirm the service.
The president’s website doesn’t list the document, but the state legal information page has published it.
The traditional autumn draft was finished just before the New Year, and 154,000 recruits have joined the Russian army.
As for other countries where similar legislation applies, the French Foreign Legion stands out. It has existed since 1831, and is exclusive, as it offers foreign volunteers an opportunity to serve in the French Army.

Hm... apparently though something like this was kicked around as early as 2010: http://themoscownews.com/news/20101125/188233351.html

(article meantions that idea is similar to US laws)

BTW, I'm currently watching The Interview. Would there be anything like this movie in ZRE? :D

I actually thought about it! The idea was a UIS-North Korea spat that comes about when a Sony-esque hack of UIS computers reveal that the junta was actually the ones responsible for the genocide in Afghanistan and the invasion of Bosnia as opposed to Zhirinovsky. This is dismissed however as a false flag by the North Koreans (which could be true). However, this leads to tension between the two nations...

I've only just now finished reading this TL and I have to say I think this is a very original TL with a premise that I haven't seen done in a TL anywhere else (Zhirinovsky becoming President) and while it seems at first glance rather implausible, I think you did a great job to make it not only seem plausible but enjoyable.
I liked the different ways of an update (In-universe news articles, interviews and books) and how you are never quite sure who is really in control.
And I have to say my favourite parts were the interviews with TTL Putin, (if I understood it correctly) who is dismissed as a conspiracy nut but makes some very valid (and some invalid) points.

So, to summarise: Very entertaining read and Zhirinovsky is a clown who really shouldn't be allowed to run anything.

Edit: I think this guy qualifies as the Egyptian Zhirinovsky, at least in terms of oddity.

Last edited:
I've only just now finished reading this TL and I have to say I think this is a very original TL with a premise that I haven't seen done in a TL anywhere else (Zhirinovsky becoming President) and while it seems at first glance rather implausible, I think you did a great job to make it not only seem plausible but enjoyable. I liked the different ways of an update (In-universe news articles, interviews and books) and how you are never quite sure who is really in control. And I have to say my favourite parts were the interviews with TTL Putin, (if I understood it correctly) who is dismissed as a conspiracy nut but makes some very valid (and some invalid) points.

So, to summarise: Very entertaining read and Zhirinovsky is a clown who really shouldn't be allowed to run anything.

Edit: I think this guy qualifies as the Egyptian Zhirinovsky, at least in terms of oddity.

Thank you! I am always glad to find out this TL still is picking up fans even after ten months on the sidelines. :D

I submitted the first few chapters to be posted in the "finished TL" section as well, which I hope keeps readers coming in. Not sure when it will go up, but keep on the lookout for that.

And that link...man, you are right. A literal Egyptian Zhirinovsky! I can see Zhirinovsky screaming "if you don't agree with me I'll hit you wiht my shoe!" as well. :p

Just wanted to drop in here really quick and start off by thanking everyone for the Turtledove support. Although Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire didn't win I am happy to have received so much support in such a stacked field. I am also slowly moving an edited version of the TL to the "Finished Timelines" section, so those of you who want to revisit the TL (or new fans who are reading it for the first time) you can do so here:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=340366

This TL has been a fun ride for me, and I am really excited about of how it grew into a part of the Alternate History lexicon (it even has an awesome TV Tropes page, not sure who did that but THANK YOU! :D) I'd like to thank all of you guys once again for your support on this.

Many Britons are calling on Conservative Prime Minister John Major to condemn the bombings of Baku and to refer to it as “genocide”. Labour party leader Tony Blair has condemned the refusal of Major to call the bombing campaign genocide and has demanded that the British government sever ties with the new UDR.

Far far too late to mention this now, but in October 1991, the Labour party leader was Neil Kinnock. Tony Blair was nowhere in the frame at that time. John Smith succeeded Kinnock, who then died and was replaced by Blair in 1994.