Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

When sanctions end in late 2001 it will have a drastic effect on the UIS economy...especially since the US needs Russia to effectively campaign in Afghanistan.

This part bother me since the begining. Revolutions erupted when economic situation became pretty bad. TTL after 2001 UIS expirienced economic revival, UIS coming out from international isolation , isn't unlikely to see revolution under such circumstances?

About Central Asia, will we see Kazakh uptade? I wonder what happen there. Did Nursultan Nazarbayev is still is power or was he ousted by Russians?
Also, I guess sooner or later Kazakhstan expirience ethnic tensions between Kazakhs and growing Russian population?

What with Aral Sea? Anything stop it shrinking TTL? I hope at least after 2001, since UIS became more stable Moscow will be able to handle with that issie more succesfully than OTL post Soviet states in Central Asia.

Last edited:

Incognito

Banned
[
Another great update. I wonder what happened to the Cossacks and would they experience a revival of culture and ideology with Zhirinovsky taking Russian. We could even see a Cossack guard that is loyal to Zhiri and so on, like they where loyal to the Tsar.

Here is something interesting on them and where I got the idea.
You know, I have no particular reason to defend the Cossacks, but this & similar article seem to me to be rather bias, sensationalist and alarmist (I honestly expected better from the New York Times).

For example, lets take a look at a few quotes:
New York Times said:
The Kremlin is dipping into a deep pool of history: Cossacks are revered here for their bravery and pre-modern code of honor, like cowboys in the United States or samurai in Japan. But their legacy is bound up with battle and vigilante-style violence, including campaigns against Turks, Jews and Muslim highlanders.
Really? Is that your take on the matter New York Times? “Cossacks are like cowboys and samurai, except their history is bound with violence”

Yes, because cowboys are stereotypically seen as peaceful ranchers…

Little_Big_Horn_Battle.jpg

… while the samurai’s image was used to spread love and joy throughout the world…

war_crime_japanese_executing_american_airman_pow.jpg

The article then goes on to say how Kremlin is using Orthodox nationalist Cossacks to “stem the tide” of Muslims. This is ignoring that 1) nationalists see Kremlin as wasting capital on minorities rather than helping “true” Russians and 2) there were and are Muslim Cossacks (e.g.: below is an article on the matter (translated from Russian via google))

Cossack-Muslims in “Walking City”

image284334.jpg

Free Cossack spirit wafted from the shores of beautiful Ural Kama River. Three days of its spaces in a wide field rang Cossack songs, marching team chieftains and traditional Cossack chorus: “Lubo”. July 9-11, near the town of Tchaikovsky (southwest of Perm region) was the second festival of traditional marching Cossacks "Walk-city." The founder and organizer of the event was Prikamsky separate Cossack District, which included the number seven today Cossack Yurtov, including Muslim (extraterritorial) yurts headed by Ataman, Tagir Ilkaevym centurion, who is also the Deputy Mufti of Perm region.

12.07.2010. The first Muslim Cossack squadrons appeared in Russia in 2004 in Perm region. At the signing ceremony of cooperation with the Kama separate Cossack District Regional Chairman of the Spiritual Administration of Muslims Mukhammedgali Khuzin recalled that already existed in pre-revolutionary Russia Cossack formations Muslims - only Bashkir Cossacks in the early XX century, there were about 100,000 people. "We want to set an example of how to serve his country, without violating the spiritual traditions of their ancestors," - said Mufti. This day can truly be called the day of the Muslim revival of the Cossacks in Russia, whose history is full of events and worthy of emulation. Get at least a separate Cossack Bashkir-Mescheryakskoe army that existed in the South Urals from 1798 to 1865. It is known that the number of Muslims in the army in the middle of the XIX century. was nearly 13 percent. In the Ural Cossack army until 1882, was a separate Bashkir cavalry regiment. Attempts to revive separate Bashkir troops were made during the Civil War. Bashkir first fought on the side of the white, and later - on the Red side. Especially famous Bashkir Cavalry Brigade Musa Murtazin. Well proven Bashkir Cossacks and World War II, fighting in the Bashkir Cavalry Division.

Modern Kama Cossack Muslims rightly consider themselves followers of Cossack traditions of their ancestors. As Muslims, they are to pray, prepare food in accordance with Islamic tradition, and during the holy month of Ramadan is observed by traditional post. And, like the rest of the Cossacks, are active socially meaningful activities: working with young people, organizing summer camps for teenagers, helping law enforcement agencies in the protection order. And take part in events such as the Cossack camp Festival "Walk-city."

Sports (fights with knives, throwing sulitsy, lifting weights, tug of war, football and wrestling) were replaced with seminars and master classes, and 10 July the Circle Cossacks Kama separate Cossack District, to discuss pressing issues Kama Cossacks and changes were made to the organization's charter.

And how about Buddhist Cossacks?

800px-Buriat-Kazak.jpg

Sadly, my google-fu failed to find too much on them, but here is a little bit:

Some articles I could find (first 2 are from Radio Liberty and are translated into Eanglish curtesy of Google, the last one is written in English)

http://www.svoboda.org/content/blog/24363584.html
Cossacks and Buddhism< br />< br /> The history of the Russian state tightly knit ethnic groups and religions. In Buryatia, for example, historically, that the Cossacks became not only Russian, but also indigenous people. Together they guarded the eastern borders of the empire.

The backbone of the Trans-Baikal Cossacks were Don and Ural Cossacks. In 1638 in the Transbaikal Cossacks went squad Yenisei Maxim Perfilieva. In Barguzin region of Buryatia is a popular vacation spot on the shore of Lake Baikal - the village Maksimikha, so here it is associated with a Cossack named. Perfiliev lived here, married Buryat woman. In 1654 Cossack Peter Beketov founded the city Nerchinsk. In 1665, the Cossacks got to the mouth of the Selenga Chico and put Selenge jail. In 1665 was built Udinsky cabin, and in 1666 Udi jail, became in time of Verkhneudinsk - now Ulan-Ude.

Of course, not everything went well for the development of Siberia, the rapid pace of Buryatia Russian colonization led to a military confrontation, completed as the battle of the Selenga in March 1684 and the signing of the peace treaty with tabangutskimi sites. In 1727 was established the state border between Russia and China (Mongolia had already come under Chinese rule). Seeing in the Cossacks real force capable of defending against attacks of the Manchus, the local population began to turn to them for help and took part in repelling attacks. Soon the Cossack units were formed, which logs drilled and Evenki (Tungus). It is from these units then formed Tunguska pyatisotenny Regiment, and four Buryat shestisotennyh Regiment of the Imperial Army.

Cossacks, who called himself a "soldier of Christ" and marching into battle "for the faith of King and Country," has always been a special position. For example, when Nicholas I opened the persecution of the Old Believers, the Cossacks, he made an exception: the decree of 1836 they were allowed to pontificate on their rites. Save the document, written by Orthodox priests, which states that the banks of the Terek "splitters built houses of worship openly, publicly held fugitive priests, the plant sects, and chiefs of villages appointed explicit dissenters, even between commanders Greben and other regiments met dissenters."

The Urals in the XVIII century, when Cossacks wanted to become prisoners - they were to be baptized, but if the Tatars, Bashkirs, Kalmyks to the Cossacks passed voluntarily, they could remain in their faith. The Terek in Borozdinskoy Kazan Tatars were settled and tavlintsy, remained faithful to Islam. Muslim Bashkirs entered the Orenburg and Ural army, the Kalmyk Buddhists - in Astrakhan, the Don, Ural. In Buryatia, the Cossacks treated with great respect for the Buddhist, or as they said, the Lamaist faith of their Buryat colleagues.

A distinctive feature of the Transbaikal Cossacks was the fact that, along with the Orthodox Church of them professed Buddhism. And the Russian Cossacks, being among the Buddhists began to go to the Lamas celebrate various rites (which, actually, is still going on in Buryatia, where people of different nationalities who live in the area, go to datsans to prayers and to the reception to Lamas). There were even lamas Cossacks: according to the order at the time charges were released from datsans, and then they returned to the monastic life. Cops and Christians perceive them as their brethren. Respect other people's traditions and honor their, because the State in common, so common service difference beliefs do not interfere.

Next week I will continue the discussion of the relationship of the Cossacks and the Buddhists.
http://www.svoboda.org/content/blog/24372781.html
My story about the Cossacks, and Buddhism would be incomplete if I did not mention the fact that many famous lamas left the Cossack birth. Among the most famous Buryat lama - imperishable Hambo Lama Itigelov.

In the family, the director of the Institute Pandito Hambo Lama Itigelov Yanzhima Vasilyeva, the great-niece of the famous Lama porcelain tray is kept in a silver frame. With this a tray Yanzhima grandfather, the Cossack village of Garma Yangazhinskoy Vasiliev, seen in 1891, the Crown Prince Nikolai Alexandrovich Kabansk near the village. Handsome Cossack drill with an impeccable military bearing and good Russian is no accident has been selected for the king offering bread and salt (in the Russian tradition), while white food and Hadaka (in Buryat custom).

The mother of the Cossack was the older sister of Hambo Lama Itigelov while still headed the Buddhist Sangha of Russia, but, they say, has also met with Nikolai Alexandrovich in Buryatia. Crown prince returned from a trip to the Far East, where, as you know, was hit on the head with a sword by the Japanese police. In Buryatia, Nikolai Alexandrovich received medical treatment, the heir to the throne would have healed by the head of Russia's Buddhists Choinzonov Dorji Iroltuev, specializing in Tibetan medicine. Apparently, Nicholas really helped Buddhist techniques of treatment, because later Buryat lamas were regularly called to St. Petersburg for the healing of the royal family.

Dasha Dorji Itigelov himself also had to go to the army, but at the direction of the prior Aninskogo Datsan Itigelov trained and already proved himself an extraordinary Lama, residents of four villages paid him compensation for twenty (!) Years.

Buryats were valued as good soldiers, border guards (next was troubled border with China). The indigenous people of Buryatia has the qualities necessary to carry Border Service: observation, excellent archers, and were good riders. Buryat shelves alternately carried the guard duty at the border. In 1764 it was given its own name: Ashebagatsky, Tsongolov, Ataganov and Sartolov (later the 1st, 2nd, W-rd, 4 th Buryat shelves), they were composed under the border commander (Troitskosavsk commander, now the city Kyakhta) that obey and Russian Cossacks, who lived on the border. Ataganskie Cossacks from Selenge region of Buryatia glorified his small home on the battlefield. In the Patriotic War of 1812 Atagansky Regiment (also known as the Selenga) in the battles of Smolensk lost nearly three-quarters of the composition, but also self-inflicted great damage to the enemy. Ataganskie Cossacks took part in the Battle of Borodino, which lost 155 people. Aware of this regiment, and that triumphantly entered Paris.

In March of 1851 based on four Buryat Cossack cavalry, two Russian Cossack regiments and Tunguska Cossack Regiment Emperor Nicholas I was formed Trans-Baikal Cossack. Later Selenge regiment took part in the Russian-Turkish, Crimean and First World Wars. The regiment participated in the defense of Sevastopol 1854-1855. This was reminiscent of a commemorative plate on Malakhov Hill, as well as street Selenga. Regimental banner is stored in the Faceted Chamber of the Moscow Kremlin.

Name Selenga Infantry Regiment was engraved on marble slabs of Christ the Savior and the St. George Hall of the Kremlin in honor of Russian victories. In 1904-1905 the Cossacks took part in the Russian-Japanese war. Incidentally, before this war, three hundred Cossacks were blessed Itigelov Hambo Lama, and they all came home alive. In appreciation of the Cossacks even composed in honor of the future immortal Lama song.

During the Soviet period, as many Cossacks in the service of the imperial government, the Cossacks were repressed Buryatia. Trans-Baikal Cossack revival began in 1990, and after seven years of Trans-Baikal Cossack on the register of Cossack military societies of Russia. With the assistance of the Cossacks revived Orthodox churches and datsans. Several military units renamed Cossack, they are young men from Cossack families. When, in May this year in St. Petersburg came datsan head of Russia's Buddhists, it except the clergy and parishioners welcomed and Cossacks. I think Hambo Lama did not expect that the Cossacks Northwest imbued with the idea of his long friendship with the brothers of the Transbaikal Buddhists and sign a cooperation agreement with the St. Petersburg datsan.
http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/naj/naj29.html
My Third New Year's: Buddhist in Buryatia 2/4/06

NajCossack.jpg

Naj and an 80+ year-old Cossack, comparing walletes, each with a photo of the 12th Khambo Lama.

I have now celebrated Christmas twice and New Years Eve three times this winter. In many ways the last was best. Don't get me wrong. I loved the fireworks whizzing in all directions, Grandfather Frost, the gifts and non stop parties of the first (Jan 1) and second New Years, Old Orthodox (Jan 13), the latter including a karaoke song fest and dancing at the local actor's club in Kemerovo. And how could I forget those - 48 degree temperatures. But the Buddhist New Years (Jan 28-30) was driven by a spiritual celebration that included honoring the past, letting go of pain and bad health, letting the wind blow my horse wind flag, and gaining the guidance of lamas for the days ahead. We need guidance this year as it is the year of the fire dog. Fire is not a good sign, at least for the weather as the year of the fire snake was 1941 when the German's launched their attacks on Moscow and St Petersburg in weather that turned so cold the advance froze in its tracks. This year has started with the coldest winter across Russia since 1941, and predications are for a hot and violent summer. Many see Hurricane Katrina as a harbinger of things to come. As I write it is -44 outside for the third day in a row. The Buddhist New Years was spread over three days. Day one I arrived back to Ulan Ude on an all-night flight from Moscow. I was met at the airport by Nicholi, whisked to his and Yanzhima's home for a quick shower and breakfast, and then off to the Ivolginsky Datsan where I shared lunch with an 80+ year old WWII veteran and Cossack, this following Yanzhima and my sacred walk and prayers around the inner perimeter of the datsan and within the central temple itself, and a personal welcome by the Khambo Lama Damba Ayusheyev. Next we and the Cossack went to the stupa honoring and located at the birth site of Pandito Khambo Lama Itigelov, the 12th Khambo Lama of all Russia. There I had the honor of playing his personal conch-shell horn, a skill I learned many years ago in the Bahamas with prep-school friend Terry Covington, and teaching the skill to the volunteer guards, protectors and interpreters of the site. We circled the stupa three times, made our prayers, broke bread, had tea and returned back to the Ivolginsky Datsan, where I crashed for an hour on Ganja Lama's couch, while he gave guidance to a long line of people waiting with their horse wind flags.
BuddhistNYCossack4.jpg

Lunch with a veteran of the Great Patriotic War (WWII).

(read the rest at link above)
Finally, Alexander Tkachev, the governor who proposed the “Cossack patrols”, caught flak from this and quickly said “I only meant them to keep out illegal immigrants”: http://rt.com/politics/cossack-anti-immigrant-patrol-857/
His proposal was mentioned in a similarly alarmist article about Cossacks volunteering (as in the government doesn’t pay them) to patrol the Moscow armed with (drumroll please) cell phones (not allowed to carry weapons, so have to call police if they see something shady going down). Here is the more humors outlook on the event:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/spor...foes+Moscow+beggars+drunks/7614663/story.html
Russia's Cossacks take on new foes in Moscow: beggars, drunks and illegally parked cars

Renowned for their sword-fighting prowess and notorious for their anti-Semitism in czarist Russia, the Cossacks are taking on new foes: beggars, drunks and improperly parked cars.

With the approval of city authorities, eight Cossacks clad in traditional fur hats and uniforms patrolled a Moscow train station on Tuesday looking for signs of minor public disturbances.

The Kremlin is seeking to use the once-feared paramilitary squads in its new drive to promote conservative values and appeal to nationalists.

The southern Krasnodar province — which includes Sochi, the site of the 2014 Winter Olympics — launched Cossack patrols in September to crack down on Muslim migrants from the neighbouring Caucasus. Now they've made it to the Russian capital.

Cossacks trace their history in Russia back to the 15th century. Serving in the czarist cavalry, they spearheaded imperial Russia's expansion in exchange for special privileges, including the right to govern their own villages. In the 2010 census, about 650,000 Russians declared themselves Cossacks.

Tuesday's patrol was a test run on whether the group can become an armed and salaried auxiliary police force, with the power of arrest, patrol leader Igor Gulichev said.

He compared his forces to the Texas Rangers, the elite law-enforcement body in the U.S. state. "They are just like Cossacks, and they work for the government, but they're welcomed with open arms. How come this should be allowed in America, but not in Russia, with our rich Cossack traditions? We're like Chuck Norris!" Gulichev said, in reference to the cult karate-kicking star of the television series "Walker, Texas Ranger."

Gulichev's group, which he said numbers up to 85, has patrolled southwestern Moscow with police approval for the past year, and has brought about 35 arrests. They are unpaid but receive free public transport passes and uniforms. Tuesday's patrol was the first in central Moscow.

The conservative Cossacks have increased their political activity in response to an impromptu protest that feminist punk rockers Pussy Riot staged in Moscow's main cathedral in February. Groups of Cossacks recently barred visitors from entering a Moscow art exhibition that daubed Pussy Riot's trademark balaclavas over Orthodox Christian icons, and they led a successful campaign to cancel a staging of Vladimir Nabokov's racy novel "Lolita" in St. Petersburg.

A government-backed Cossack political party held its first congress in Moscow this weekend. Communists have called it a cheap attempt to siphon pensioners' support from their party, which is widely known by the same acronym. Six other groups have applied to form splinter Cossack parties.

Gulichev, whose official title is deputy ataman, a Turkic word meaning commander, said he expected his group's responsibilities would soon expand to fighting drug trafficking and terrorism, mirroring the special relationship Cossacks had with the czars. "Cossacks have always been on the frontiers of the Russian empire, fighting foes and adversaries, illegal immigration — repulsing raids, as people say today," he added.

Tuesday's modest effort lasted barely more than an hour and yielded few rewards. Without the police supervisor that Russian law requires to oversee volunteer deputies, the Cossacks drove away two elderly beggars, an old woman selling dried wild mushrooms and one unlicensed trading stall before piling into a bus. The stall was back selling socks within hours.

City authorities later distanced themselves from the Cossack patrol, even though officials had announced it widely the day before. Moscow's central district administration and the city Cossack committee released a joint statement denying they had authorized the patrol and saying that the Cossacks did not have the authority to crack down on unlicensed traders or badly parked cars.

Gulichev later told the Interfax news agency that the Cossacks had been hampered by the several dozen journalists who arrived to cover the patrol. The Cossacks spent most of their time giving interviews or aimlessly milling around the square, and only began their battle against public disturbances after reporters from Russian state television desperately begged them to do something on camera.
President Vladimir Putin was inducted into what is known as the Cossack host in 2005 and given the rank of Cossack colonel, previously held by imperial czars. Russia plans to restore the functions Cossacks had in the imperial Russian army, where they were instrumental in repelling Napoleon's invading army in 1812 and led pogroms against Jews. A 400,000-strong All-Russia Cossack Host directly subordinate to Putin is scheduled to be launched by the end of the year.
177776385.jpg

Stare into the new face of Putin’s oppression in Russia!
New York Times said:
This month, a Cossack chieftain was fatally shot trying to arrest a drunken man who had taken hostages in the neighboring region of Krasnodar. At the chieftain’s funeral, Cossacks in crimson coats, carrying leather whips and sabers, streamed after a riderless horse, a sight that could have dated from the 16th century.

Afterward, a top official said the time had come for the state to allow Cossack patrolmen to carry traumatic guns, nonlethal weapons that can inflict severe injuries at close range — a proposal that has been endorsed by the governors of Krasnodar and Stavropol.
I understand that the article is trying to scare me with the idea of Cossacks armed with (nonlethal) arms, but it fails to do so by building up sympathy for the guy that died saving hostages.
New York Times said:
In a scene taught to generations of schoolchildren, a young Cossack spots a Chechen swimming across the Terek disguised as a log and shoots him.
If it is the story I am thinking of, than it took place during the war and the Chechen was a scout.

Now as for the idea of Zhirinovsky getting a Cossack Pretorian Guard, it doesn’t strike me as very plausible (I know one of the articles I linked to says Putin is scheduled to get a Cossack force loyal to him, but this is the 1st I hear of it and would like to see more proof). I can see Cossack vigilantes and paramilitary groups forming though.

[You know, I have no particular reason to defend the Cossacks, but this & similar article seem to me to be rather bias, sensationalist and alarmist (I honestly expected better from the New York Times).

Now as for the idea of Zhirinovsky getting a Cossack Pretorian Guard, it doesn’t strike me as very plausible (I know one of the articles I linked to says Putin is scheduled to get a Cossack force loyal to him, but this is the 1st I hear of it and would like to see more proof). I can see Cossack vigilantes and paramilitary groups forming though.

Great articles Incognito! Thanks!

To be honest, where I was thinking of going withwith the Cossack angle was (spoiler alert!) in regards to Georgia. I read that the Cossacks activly took part in the wars in Georgia, South Osettia, and Abkhazia and I was looking at paramilitary units with the blessing from Moscow looking at taking on the Georgians in South Osettia (considering the Russians were forced to conceed South Osettia to the Georgians ITTL, I figured they would be looking to "liberate" South Osettia but would not be able to invade per se. I was going to PM Orville the Third on this since I know he knows a lot about those conflicts and get his input as well. But these article above are very helpful in regards to my planned future update...

This part bother me since the begining. Revolutions erupted when economic situation became pretty bad. TTL after 2001 UIS expirienced economic revival, UIS coming out from international isolation , isn't unlikely to see revolution under such circumstances?

But what can Zhirinovsky blame all his screw ups on once sanctions are gone?

And what else happened in 2003-2004 in OTL that could threaten the alliance between America and Russia? What did the USA do (under Bush) that actually alienated much of the world?

Last edited:
Could the Cossacks escape from any stigma that might associate them with something unsavory ITTL? Kinda like how the Serbian Chetnik culture might be stigmatized by the actions of the Bosnian War.

[You know, I have no particular reason to defend the Cossacks, but this & similar article seem to me to be rather bias, sensationalist and alarmist (I honestly expected better from the New York Times).

For example, lets take a look at a few quotes: Really? Is that your take on the matter New York Times? “Cossacks are like cowboys and samurai, except their history is bound with violence”

Yes, because cowboys are stereotypically seen as peaceful ranchers…

Not to mention the fact that pretty much every other Cowboy movie is a celebration of "vigilante-style justice."

Bruce

PART SIXTY FIVE: A SHEEP IN WOLF'S CLOTHING

Well, sooner or later Zhirinovsky would start acting like…Zhirinovsky. This update is based on the famous fight between Zhirinovsky and a female opposition leader that occurred in 1995. As I mentioned earlier, this really sunk Zhirinovsky’s political career. One news report I read talked about a liter line of women outside the door of the LDPR office in Moscow the day after, there to renounce membership in the party. But even so, that occurred when he was just an opposition party member in OTL. What would happen if it occurred in TTL, with Zhirinovsky as president? And what is happening to the vice president? He now “owns” what amounts to the entire state media apparatus, and uses his position to ensure his networks gets all the advantages over the opposition (such as making sure only the VGTRK is the only network allowed to cover the President’s speech to the Duma). But how is that going over with the junta or even the reformers?

BTW, special shout out to Dan1988 for helping me with some questions I had about the VGTRK! Thanks Dan!

Some of the new names in this update:

The VGTRK state television:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Russia_State_Television_and_Radio_Broadcasting_Company

Rossiya 1 (Russian State media channel):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossiya_1

Fausto Bertinotti (Italian Communist leader):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fausto_Bertinotti

Delo (Slovenia Newspaper):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delo

Lubyanka Building (KGB headquarters):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubyanka_Building

Lega Nord:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lega_Nord

National Alliance (Italy):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Alliance_(Italy)

Silvio Berlusconi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_Berlusconi

Lamberto Dini:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamberto_Dini

MTV’s Jersey Shore show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Shore_(TV_series)

Yevgenia Tishkovaskya:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/vlad-the-outrageous-shows-off-his-freudian-tendencies-takes-another-whiff-of-oxygen-struts-his-sexist-stuff-1601131.html

And an article about the OTL fight between Zhirinovsky and Tishkovaskya:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19950914&id=t0goAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Uc8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6776,2740440

UIS Presidential Candidate Vladimir Putin in an interview with the BBC on August 1, 2011.

Discussing his removal as head of KGB in 1995 and his subsequent entry into politics.

BBC: Mr. Putin, your removal as head of the KGB by UIS President Yuri Luzhkov ushered in your entry into politics. However, the image of you being escorted out of the Lubyanka Building in handcuffs haunted you during your initial campaign in 1996.

Putin: Yes. Andrei Zavidiya couldn’t get enough of that image. He covered every newspaper and every news broadcast with it. For too many Russians the image of the head of the KGB being escorted out of the building in handcuffs was simply long overdue. They loved it, even if they didn’t have any issue with me personally. And Zavidiya was emerging as a very powerful person because of his willingness to sell his soul for the right price.

BBC: What do you mean ‘sell his soul’?

Putin: He initially supported Alexander Lukashenko, but once he started taking over the state controlled media all he could think about was profits. Before long his Rossiya 1 news station was seen as the most reliable news network in the country. Mainly because they would broadcast anything…as long as it was sensational and would help sell advertisements. He even began to cover Vladimir Zhirinovsky again by late 1995. He hated him with a passion, but suddenly he realized that Zhirinovsky sold newspapers and advertisements, so he decided to sell out his principles and ended his media blackout on Zhirinovsky.

BBC: So you are saying that one of the richest men in the UIS secretly harbored a dream of bringing back communism, but changed his mind only after he became a billionaire?

Putin: Yes. He soon became obsessed with money and profit. And he would put anything on television, as long as it made money. He would sell out his own mother if he thought it would bring good ratings. Sadly, as other newspapers and news stations would tout a particular political line, Zavidiya would attack anyone, he didn’t care! Unfortunately this allowed him to gain credibility. Can you imagine that? The man known for putting pure filth on television still has more credibility than his opponents! Talk about a sad state of affairs in the UIS. What have we come to when a whoremonger like Andrei Zavidiya is seen as more trustworthy than a man like me?

GOVERNING COALITION IN ITALY COLLAPSES

By John Turner

New York Times
Published: April 19, 1995

Italy's Government coalition collapsed today as Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi announced his resignation amid accusations of violating UN sanctions on the Union of Independent States.

In a press release President Oscar Luigi Scalfaro said he was likely to install an interim government until new elections, most likely in June. Economist Lamberto Dini is expected to be appointed the new Prime Minister.

Berlusconi’s government was plagued by in-fighting after his election in May of 1994.

Forming a coalition with Lega Nord and the National Alliance, Berlusconi’s government was seen as fragile from the moment he took office. Berlusconi’s refusal to sell his holdings in his media company Fininvest remained a source of friction with many in the country. However, it was the revelation that he was attempting to purchase the Slovenian newspaper Delo in conjunction with Russian media mogul Andrei Zavidiya (the current Vice President of Russia) that proved too much for the fragile coalition.

“I don’t doubt that Berlusconi will find a way to wiggle out of getting prosecuted for violating international law,” commented Fausto Bertinotti, leader of the Communist Refoundation Party, “but I do hope this ends his political career. I can’t imagine the Italian people being able to forget that this man was willing to partner up with Vladimir Zhirinovsky’s Vice President just to make a little bit of money.”

Italian American group calls on MTV to cancel upcoming “Jersey Shore” television show

November 25, 2009

By Paul Rosi, Newark Star-Ledger

In a move that surprises nobody, MTV's forthcoming series "Jersey Shore" is under attack from an Italian-American group over what it calls “degrading and offensive stereotypes of Italians.”

UNICO National, which is regarded as one of the largest Italian-American service organizations in the country, has asked MTV to abandon next week’s premier of "Jersey Shore.”

Few anticipated anything less after MTV released a promo spot of the upcoming show with the promise that “Jersey Shore” would feature the "hottest, tannest, craziest Guidos" on the (Jersey) shore. "They keep their hair high, their muscles juiced and their fists pumping all summer long!"

UNICO President Andre’ DiMino responded by calling the show “trash television.”

“This is nothing short of an assault on Italian-American culture,” DiMino said in a press release, “It serves no purpose other than to demean Italian-Americans, to portray them as cheap caricatures of outdated stereotypes.”

An MTV spokesperson responded by telling the Star-Ledger that the characters featured on the show “take pride in their ethnicity,” a statement that DiMino ridiculed.

“This is poised to become the single most offensive television show since “Father, My Boyfriend is a Chechen” premiered on Russian television in 1997,” DiMino said. “And I might add that the characters in that show “took pride” in their ethnicity as well.”

“Father, My Boyfriend is a Chechen” premiered on Rossiya 1 in the summer of 1997 and became an instant sensation in the UIS. However, the show was often referred to as the low point of Russian television. Russian media mogul Andrey Zavidiya, the former Vice-President of Russia, received criticism from both the right and the left in the UIS for allowing the show to air. Many former communists regarded the show as an example of the growing influence of capitalism in the country, accusing Zavidiya of putting profits over quality. Critics from the Liberal Democratic Party attacked what they considered a sympathetic portrayal of the Chechen characters during a point upon which the country was at war with the breakaway Republic of Chechnya, even if they often were portrayed in a demeaning and stereotypical fashion. However, as appears to be the case with “Jersey Shore,” Zavidiya used the controversy to boost interest in the show.

“I assume MTV is doing the same thing that the Rossiya 1 did back in 1997,” DiMino added, “they want controversy so people will tune in to see what all the fuss is about. But I cannot in good conscience sit back and say nothing about this trash that they are about to air.”

“My Russia- An Autobiography by former Russian Prime Minister Gennady Burbulis”

Published by Interbook, © 1998

CHAPTER SIXTY ONE

As Vice President Zavidiya walked into the room he seemed oblivious to the impact his presence had on everyone. Regardless of if they were a reformist or a hardliner, a politician or a general, they all hated him. But he was oblivious to this as he smiled and patted people on the shoulder. Just last night the VGTRK released a poll indicating that the support for the war in Chechnya was “less than 35%” and that “over 55% of Russians felt that the Party for a Free and Democratic Russia had abandoned its principles by partnering up with the Liberal Democratic Party.” He single handedly angered both the military and the reformists with that report. There was already indications that the fragile coalition in the Duma was about to collapse ahead of parliamentary elections in December. Vladimir Putin had already registered a political party of his own, The Unity Party, which was already taking steps to rally disenfranchised communist and Liberal Democrats to the fold. If he could win enough seats in the legislative elections then he was poised to become a front runner in 1996 during the presidential election.

“Mr. Vice President,” General Sergei Stepashin said coldly as Zavidiya took a seat, “I am somewhat surprised to see you here…considering you were not invited.”

“What are you talking about?” Zavidiya said with a chuckle, “I’m Vice President, why wouldn’t I be at a cabinet meeting?”

“Because we are discussing sensitive issues in regards to Chechnya,” General Stepashin replied forcefully, “and quite frankly, nobody wants what is discussed here to be all over the news tomorrow night.”

“Don’t be silly,” Zavidiya said with a laugh, “so what is the plan with regards to Chechnya?”

The room was silent as Zavidiya looked around. Suddenly the smug look on his face disappeared.

“You can’t be serious,” he said nervously, “I am Vice President of the Russian Republic! I can’t just be told to leave!”

“Mr. Vice President,” General Lebed said coldly, “you have clearly shown that you regard your position as Vice President as a part time job. I can assure you that we will be able to conduct this meeting without you. We all feel it is in the best interests of the country that we don’t put you in a position in which you are forced to choose between your duties to your country and your duties to your company. Quite frankly, we all know where your loyalties lay in such a scenario.”

Zavidiya looked wounded at the accusation that he cared more for his company than for the country. He turned to me with a desperate look.

“Gennady,” he said frantically, “I know you believe in a free media, in an open press! I know you do! We may not agree on much but we agree on that! Don’t let this happen! You owe it to the country! We cannot let the press be silenced just because we don’t tout the party line. We cannot!”

I said nothing as I stared at him. I didn’t believe he cared about a free press. He just figured out that a free press meant more money for him. He was grasping at straws.

“I was only doing my duty!” he yelled at me.

“I know,” I said firmly, “but you need to leave.”

The Vice President looked around the room one more time, hoping and praying that someone would speak on his behalf. He simply couldn’t believe that we wouldn’t bow down to him any more. That we no longer cared about what he was going to say about us anymore in the news. He stood up sadly as he slowly walked out of the room. As he closed the door behind him I spoke up.

“All right then,” I said, “we need to shore up the coalition and bring Mikhail Arutyunov back into the fold. I think the best situation is to have President Zhirinovsky speak to the Duma next week. If he can do what he did after the failed coup perhaps we can avert disaster in December and hold this coalition together.”

Russian President punches female deputy during speech to Duma; coalition government “dead” according to opposition leader

By Jack Horn
Denver Post – September 14, 1995

ZhirinovskyfightYevgeniyaTishkovskaya_zps65e90fbb.jpg

Vladimir Zhirinovsky fights with a female deputy during his speech to the Russian Duma yesterday

(MOSCOW, UIS) In a scene that looks like it came out of the pages of professional wrestling, Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky erupted into a sexist tirade against opposition lawmaker Yevgenia Tishkovskaya before attacking her during the live broadcast on Russian state television. The fight between Zhirinovsky and Tishkovskaya (a female deputy) has created a firestorm in the UIS, with UIS President Yuri Luzhkov calling it a “national embarrassment.” The incident started when Tishkovskaya called Zhirinovsky a “liar” during his speech in front of the Duma. Zhirinovsky made claims that NATO troops were “occupying” southern Chechnya, a claim that caused many of the liberal members of his coalition government to groan and boo at the statement. Zhirinovsky, however, singled out Tishkovskaya, saying that she needed a man to “put something in your mouth to shut you up,” before grabbing his crotch and saying that he “had something that would work.”

The statement brought many of the lawmakers to their feet in protest, and caused Tishkovskaya to walk up to the president and slap him across the face on national television. The Russian president looked stunned at the brazen act of courage from the opposition lawmaker, but as members of the opposition party began to cheer Zhirinovsky became enraged. The Russian president grabbed Tishkovskaya by the hair and threw her to the ground and began punching her before liberal lawmakers pulled him off the deputy. However, after Zhirinovsky was dragged off Tishkovskaya, the female lawmaker threw a punch that landed on the face of the Russian President, blooding his nose.

“He is a paper tiger,” commented opposition lawmaker Gleb Yakunin, “a bully who gets beat up by women! He is nothing more than a sheep in wolf’s clothing and we exposed to the world that he is a coward and a bully!”

Opposition leader Mikhail Arutyunov told Russian State television station that he considered the coalition between his party and the Liberal Democratic Party “dead.” Prime Minister Gennady Burbulis also called the coalition “damaged beyond repair” and hinted that he may also leave the Liberal Democratic Party. Vice President Andrei Zavidiya did not comment on the incident, but his television network, Rossiya 1 (which held the exclusive rights to broadcast the speech and owns all rights to the footage), released a statement indicating that fight was the “highest rated event ever shown on Russian television” and added that both Tishkovskaya and Zhirinovsky were slated to appear together in an interview on the Russian news program Vesti the following night.

Last edited:
Well it looks like Zavidiya is having a lot of fun with his media mogul business, and are we sure that the Unity Party in TTL will not become United Russia?

Hard to say, none of those parties existed in 1996, so the names are not realy that important per se. However "Unity" does convey the kind of message that Putin is shooting for as he tries to rally various opposion groups to his side, so it probably will stick at least through the late 90s

How would the fight be seen in the world I wonder?

I imagine in the west the image of the Russian president pulling the hair of a female deputy and punching her would be very offensive and really would marginalize Russia and the UIS even more. But in a strange way, it will also help the UIS and Russia. It will turn almost all of the world's attention on Zhirinovsky and not on Chechnya, and it does show that Russia has what amounts to a free press.

Wasn't it hinted in the prelude that Zhirinovsky will, at some point in the future, punch Tony Blair in the face? Sure, punching a fellow Russian politician is one thing, but another head of state?

Also, nice job making AH.com's least favorite reality show even more widely hated than IOTL. And putting Berlusconi's political career to an early end will have notable repercussions for Italian politics.

Wasn't it hinted in the prelude that Zhirinovsky will, at some point in the future, punch Tony Blair in the face? Sure, punching a fellow Russian politician is one thing, but another head of state?

Also, nice job making AH.com's least favorite reality show even more widely hated than IOTL. And putting Berlusconi's political career to an early end will have notable repercussions for Italian politics.

LOL, hating on Jersey Shore is a hobby of mine, and I was glad to be able to incorperate it into this TL. :D

as for punching Tony Blair in the mouth, we will see that coming up before too long. And yes, that will create a MAJOR international incident! :eek:

Hating on Jersey Shore as an segue into important AH goings on. Another entry into the growing Trope of Berlusconi getting caught up in an alt-criminal scandal (yet I doubt that's the last of him...). A subtle reference to the "you lie" incident in Congress. An actual OTL photo of Zhirinovsky attacking a female politician.

All in one Update. This was a truly entertaining and engrossing bit of writing. You, sir, are a maestro of the AH.com craft!:D