How close was Antiquity to Industrialism?

Faeelin

Banned
Renaissance Italy and Reformation Germany were tremendously violent places where wealthy cities could be starved to death and then be burned to the ground, forced to start all over again when it comes to the capital accumulation process.

So obviously, all we need is a Prince of Peace to unite the Germanies.

Also, unlike the Romans, the Germans had precision metalworking, some understanding of the sciences (optics, for instance), a printing press, a better banking system, indisputably more use of waterpower, better ships and navigation techniques, higher population....

scholar

Banned
Re scholar

That's a fine point, but I was referring to the question of financial reform of the Roman Empire, which could prevent runaway inflation, preserving strong consumer demand for non-local goods, and thus allowing forces that OTL transitioned the Roman Empire to a proto-manorial economy to transition to proto-capitalism instead.
Oh, then I beg some indulgence to say that is missing the entire point. The decline of the principate to the dominate, as it is occassionally referred to, saw the Roman Empire become a state that existed to sustain and maintain a standing army. Emperors and commanders were compelled to divert funds that they did not have to support an army, lest they be deposed and civil war ensues until someone who is willing to pay takes command. The runaway inflation was a consequence of this, there simply wasn't enough funds that the people had at their disposal to keep up with the rapidly increasing costs, so they started diluting the money.

What you need to do in order to prevent this kind of disaster is a stable dynasty to take place, sometime before or at the arrival of Severus. It was under the Severans that Roman citizenship was granted to every free person in the empire, but this goal was primarily so they could tax a broader base of people to extract funds from in order to pay the army. The government had, in a sense, become a naked military dynasty. Once that dynasty collapsed, you had the third century crisis whereby it was all against all as any available funds were thrown at an army to support their candidate for emperor.

After that was resolved, after the Third Century finally came to a close and the Empire was united, the cost of keeping a bloated military was too expensive, that brief protoindustrialism had been extinguished, and the empire's division in two - partially to prevent the empire from collapsing into civil war again, partially to maintain the borders and make funding and commanding the armies easier, along with a host of other reasons. Protomanioralism as a consequence of this, much in the same way feudalism and serfdom would later solidify themselves as a means of having army nobility serving under a king with peasants in turn serving the nobility in exchange for protection. At least, in the West that is.

My suggestion would be either having the Flavians establish a dynasty, since they seemed to be the most competent after the adoptive ones or have the Nerva-Antonine adoption dynasty continue. The Julio-Claudians are also a possibility, perhaps with Lucius or Gaius Julius Caesar living long enough to take control of the state and have them be mini-clones of Augustus who desperately try to follow his example. Even keeping a stable dynasty for a hundred or so years could push back the decline of the dynasty into a long series of military dictatorships in the third century, and by doing so put that mess off long enough for an industrial revolution to begin.

So obviously, all we need is a Prince of Peace to unite the Germanies.

Also, unlike the Romans, the Germans had precision metalworking, some understanding of the sciences (optics, for instance), a printing press, a better banking system, indisputably more use of waterpower, better ships and navigation techniques, higher population....

More or less. Germany in 1600 was probably about a century away from something like an industrial revolution, but the 'sentence hitting a period' nature of the Thirty Years War pushed the whole area back about as far.

EDIT: Of course, more or less the same argument applies to France and the Netherlands as applies to Germany and Italy. The early modern era on the European continent was really, really violent in a way people don't usually get a full appreciation of. Centuries worth of growth and economic development could be wiped away in a single siege and sack of a city. All these places experienced a great deal of warfare well into the late 17th century at least and it wasn't the pretty, 'glorious' kind of warfare that the nobility tried to have in the 18th century. Even then, the 18th century was a lot better and there's a very good reason industrialism started emerging towards the end of it (only to be squashed by the return of the nastier version of war with the Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars).

Spain is an interesting case. Spain wasn't really war-torn like most of the rest of Western and Central Europe, instead it had an absolutely abysmal financial regime that completely. refused to do anything but shit on the general economy again and again and again over the course of two centuries after the discovery of the Americas.

Last edited:

scholar

Banned
Awesome answer! So, in short (and vastly simplifying) we need to prevent the Crisis of the Third Century, which as you mention means establishing a stable dynasty (you mentioned the Julians and Flavians, but I expect saving the Antonines would also work).
That's the idea. Changing the nature of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty dynamics would be the most desired, which would involve a series of "princes" brought up and exposed to imperial power by the Emperor, and then succeeded by those princes who repeat the process. Augustus's greatest success was a peaceful transition of power, but his greatest disaster was the death of nearly every single man he put forward as a successor with the exception of Tiberius. With Tiberius many of the favored successors also died off, leaving Caligula. Caligula's death left Claudius, who had the benefit of being one of the only ones left and the same thing happened with Nero. In short, it was the least of the Julio-Claudians who survived, and the manipulative nature of the Julio-Claudian women did not help much. If you could make this stable, and more importantly keep the idea of the Emperor being a civil official who just also happens to control the military with no more civil power a magister. Their civil influence would instead come from their autoritas when it comes to internal politics. And that autoritas would be cemented for centuries as the descendents from Julius Caesar and Caesar Augustus.

It would not last forever, but if it can last a couple centuries longer than it did in OTL, then you have the playground you need to do whatever theoretical experimentation you want for industrialism. I might even argue that industrialism is likely in this case, at least to the level of the Song a good thousand years before the Song reached it.

The Flavians and Antonines are more practical. The Flavians were what the Julians could have been, but they died out after two generations. The Antonines had a far more open association with the military, since their successors were chosen because they were the leading generals at the time, but this practice served the Romans well while it lasted. The Severan's are the latest possible way to prevent this, but the inflation was already starting and it was clear that the state was a military regime and its funds existed to support that military. Perhaps the only way to reverse this trend would be to have Geta succeed and have Caracella killed off.

At least, that's my take on this.

Last edited:
That's the idea. Changing the nature of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty dynamics would be the most desired, which would involve a series of "princes" brought up and exposed to imperial power by the Emperor, and then succeeded by those princes who repeat the process. Augustus's greatest success was a peaceful transition of power, but his greatest disaster was the death of nearly every single man he put forward as a successor with the exception of Tiberius. With Tiberius many of the favored successors also died off, leaving Caligula. Caligula's death left Claudius, who had the benefit of being one of the only ones left and the same thing happened with Nero. In short, it was the least of the Julio-Claudians who survived, and the manipulative nature of the Julio-Claudian women did not help much. If you could make this stable, and more importantly keep the idea of the Emperor being a civil official who just also happens to control the military with no more civil power a magister. Their civil influence would instead come from their autoritas when it comes to internal politics. And that autoritas would be cemented for centuries as the descendents from Julius Caesar and Caesar Augustus.

It would not last forever, but if it can last a couple centuries longer than it did in OTL, then you have the playground you need to do whatever theoretical experimentation you want for industrialism. I might even argue that industrialism is likely in this case, at least to the level of the Song a good thousand years before the Song reached it.

The Flavians and Antonines are more practical. The Flavians were what the Julians could have been, but they died out after two generations. The Antonines had a far more open association with the military, since their successors were chosen because they were the leading generals at the time, but this practice served the Romans well while it lasted. The Severan's are the latest possible way to prevent this, but the inflation was already starting and it was clear that the state was a military regime and its funds existed to support that military. Perhaps the only way to reverse this trend would be to have Geta succeed and have Caracella killed off.

At least, that's my take on this.

Theoretically you are right. But given the roman mind set I think It could not work.

Actually, the genesis is of the roman empire itself and even furet her the gènes is of the roman republic required the political leader to also be the military leader, Rome was an aristocratic regime in a military society.

When Rome had an emperor who acted just as a civilisant leader, things turned out very badly. Especially when this civilian emperor was the offspring of an established imperial dynasty : Nero, Commodus, the successors of Septimus Severus, the sons of Constantine, the sons and successors of Theodosius.

There's a very good reason for this : the emperor was not a king. Rome's aristocracy and elite always rejected officially the idea of their ruler being a king and his son having an official right to be his successor.

The word "imperator" itself meant commander in chief of the army.

The emperor was a magistrate. The supreme magistrate of the roman empire, but a magistrate though, not a king.

I don't know if It ever were possible to achieve such a change in mentalities.

To try achieving it, you would need to change things from the start. You would need not Augustus to found the new regime but Caesar himself. You would need Caesar to love another 20 years at least, until the age of 75 or 80 and to have a much more overtly monarchic style of government at Rome. And you would need the Julien dynasty to have a séries of sons or grandsons succeding one another for much more than only 4 generations.

Rome's imperial dynastics never lasted more than 100 years. This was not long enough.

This is a very good point. Side note: a few months back, I was asking about the PoD where Gaius Ceasar, grandson of Augustus, lives; this made me think of that, because I noted the Imperator position might end up looking like a monarchy a lot earlier TTL and asked "would that change even hold, or would old republicans push back?"

scholar

Banned
Theoretically you are right. But given the roman mind set I think It could not work.
And yet, it actually did work. The problem with Nero was not that he was a civilian emperor, but how he ruled. Both Tiberius and Claudius were just as much civilian emperors. Commodus had an obsession with activities the Roman elite considered base, and his association with Hercules became a problem. Nerva, the founder of the dynasty, was a civilian emperor, though he was a commander in the past. Septimius Severus's successor was the man who fully created the dominate, while the next emperor was ultimately disposed of by his own grandmother. Alexander could probably have ruled successfully, and is often times thought of as showing the beginnings of a great leader, he was killed not because he was a civilian emperor, but because on campaign against the Germans he assembled a large army, only to pay off the Germans with gold rather than with blades. In the mean time Geta was well liked by the Roman Elites, though his rule would probably not have been purely civilian.

While you are right about the Roman Elite's sensibilities towards monarchy, the sensibilities were eroding at the start, and were dead by the time of the Antonines. The Severans did not even need to fabricate their candidates powers bestowing Imperium, they just needed to pretend that the candidate was a son of the old Emperor. Severus employed the same tool at the start of the dynasty, claiming Commodus as a brother. Also, while the Romans were against the idea of Kingship, the notion of hereditary rule is not something they were against. In fact, it was expected that the son would assume the responsibilities and honors of his father. This was how Augustus expected his regime to last, since the soft power he had crewed would be passed on through the generations, while direct military power could be granted to various people close to him by blood and marriage.

scholar

Banned
This is a very good point. Side note: a few months back, I was asking about the PoD where Gaius Ceasar, grandson of Augustus, lives; this made me think of that, because I noted the Imperator position might end up looking like a monarchy a lot earlier TTL and asked "would that change even hold, or would old republicans push back?"
The Republic was Dead by the time of Caligula. After his death and before the ascension of Claudius, people were debating who would be the new Princeps, not how best could the Republic be restored. In part that has to do with most people believing the Republic was still alive and well, it just had this new military position grafted on it whom many supported, there were still Consuls, Magisters, Praetors, Propraetors, proconsuls, the senate was still the principle advising body, the tribunate was still powerful, everything looked like it always had. There was just something else there, and after the long reign of Augustus and the chaotic contentions before him, there was barely a Roman alive who did not feel accustomed to the idea of a supreme military commander.

So, if you are going to have the Principate ruled by people who were more or less raised from birth to be competent military commanders and tactful statesmen by Augutus, then I really doubt the old republicans would be able to push back if they wanted to.

Good counterpoints! I'll admit, I'm not sure where I stand on the plausibility of a stable Roman monarchy (or quasi-monarchy), but it's an interesting debate.

That said, as I think about it, ven though I brought him up, I don't want us getting too hung up on Gaius as a PoD; he might be a little too early for our purposes. As LSC mentioned earlier, we probably don't want to stop the spread of Christianity and similar religions/philosophies, or keep the Empire expanding. So I would say we're looking for a way to prevent the Crisis of the Third Century with PoDs after or during the reign of Hadrian, when the Empire's borders were consolidated; admittedly, that could be more of a challenge.

My point of view is that Gaius is too late. It's even all the more too late that Gaius had not been raised well by Augustus and that he probably did not have the guts to be a competent ruler.

You should start with the greatest of all romans ever : Gaius Julius Caesar the dictator himself.

And yet, it actually did work. The problem with Nero was not that he was a civilian emperor, but how he ruled. Both Tiberius and Claudius were just as much civilian emperors.

Tiberius was an accomplished general long before he became Emperor, Claudius, not so much.

RousseauX

Donor
Awesome answer! So, in short (and vastly simplifying) we need to prevent the Crisis of the Third Century, which as you mention means establishing a stable dynasty (you mentioned the Julians and Flavians, but I expect saving the Antonines would also work).
I fundamentally disagree with this.

The technologies which enabled agricultural revolution (i.e the horse collar, or the two-field system) to come about took place in the early Medieval era, a time when the state system was much less stable than during Roman times. Not to mention of course, that even during the crisis of the third century you had large swath of the empire which were relatively untouched (i.e Egypt IIRC)

I think it's tempting to look for a political PoD because that's the thing people know the best, I highly doubt that any dynasty was going to affect long term economic trends.

The technologies which enabled agricultural revolution (i.e the horse collar, or the two-field system) to come about took place in the early Medieval era, a time when the state system was much less stable than during Roman times. Not to mention of course, that even during the crisis of the third century you had large swath of the empire which were relatively untouched (i.e Egypt IIRC)

I think the particular developments of the agriculture are overemphasized in importance when talking about the forces necessary to an industrial revolution (though admittedly not as much as things like "availability of coal"). The key to getting an industrial revolution is that first you need a commercial revolution, that is you need a strong demand for what will become industrial goods (so a strong middle-class to act as consumers) and for the cost of labor to be such that investments in advancing productivity (through technological advances or proto-factories) are cost effective.

I think it's tempting to look for a political PoD because that's the thing people know the best, I highly doubt that any dynasty was going to affect long term economic trends.

TBF, we got to to a political PoD by looking at how to set up the economic pre-requisites in Rome.

Though speaking of this, there's been something on my mind -- how good or bad was the Roman Empire for the emergence of a proto-industrial economy that I talked about (e.g. good for merchants, the "middle class", raising the cost of labor, etc)? I ask b/c I'm wondering if the OP is easier to meet in a world where Rome lost the Punic Wars.

scholar

Banned

I think you may have missed the point Rousseau, we were talking about possible ways of preserving the spark of both a trend towards proto-capitalist structures and proto-industrialism. Both of those were terminated by the third century crisis or causes linked to it, but their death knell was with the dynasty before that.

That, and you should know that I will disagree with any arguments that render men and women powerless to affect the big picture, even when they rule it. The second Severan Emperor granted universal citizenship in the Roman Empire, a massive change in the economic dynamic of the empire for it meant they could be taxed. Why? Because the army was expanding under the Emperor's command, and further mass inflation in regards to the coins of the Roman State was brought about directly from Roman Imperial Politics and their relationship both to wars and the legions.

To me, the statement of doubt about the dynasty of Rome meaning little to long term economic trends is like saying saying the exact same thing about the Tudors and religion in England, or that the revolution in France was destiny and not the actual product of a series of events that could have easily been radically diverted or avoided all together. Now I do not mean to say that I think you espouse these beliefs, but I will disagree with you if that is your implication. You would sooner convince me that Muhammad did little to change the course of world history, than you would that the consequences to actions made by Emperors of Rome had little affect on the Roman economy even when comparing the third century crisis to the Antonines.

The seeds of a trend were in place, but a similar seed could be found within the dynasties of Rome. The question then becomes, from where were those trends born or how did they mature? The only way your argument works would be if the two trends did not influence one another, and that they were not feeding off of the other. So long as the two are influencing each other, even if it is lopsided against the Emperors, dynastic dynamics matter.

RousseauX

Donor
I think you may have missed the point Rousseau, we were talking about possible ways of preserving the spark of both a trend towards proto-capitalist structures and proto-industrialism. Both of those were terminated by the third century crisis or causes linked to it, but their death knell was with the dynasty before that.
So why -do- we think that there are proto-industrialism in the Roman Empire anymore than say, the 1300s in western Europe or northern Italy.

The only thing I can really think of is maybe you could prove that there were more trade links between the east and west, but I think even that might be dubious.

I think people might be overestimating how "advanced" the Romans were. The fundamental disagreement we are going to have is that I don't think the Romans were a proto-industrializing society on the model of England in the early modern era.

That, and you should know that I will disagree with any arguments that render men and women powerless to affect the big picture, even when they rule it. The second Severan Emperor granted universal citizenship in the Roman Empire, a massive change in the economic dynamic of the empire for it meant they could be taxed. Why? Because the army was expanding under the Emperor's command, and further mass inflation in regards to the coins of the Roman State was brought about directly from Roman Imperial Politics and their relationship both to wars and the legions.

To me, the statement of doubt about the dynasty of Rome meaning little to long term economic trends is like saying saying the exact same thing about the Tudors and religion in England, or that the revolution in France was destiny and not the actual product of a series of events that could have easily been radically diverted or avoided all together. Now I do not mean to say that I think you espouse these beliefs, but I will disagree with you if that is your implication. You would sooner convince me that Muhammad did little to change the course of world history, than you would that the consequences to actions made by Emperors of Rome had little affect on the Roman economy even when comparing the third century crisis to the Antonines.

The seeds of a trend were in place, but a similar seed could be found within the dynasties of Rome. The question then becomes, from where were those trends born or how did they mature? The only way your argument works would be if the two trends did not influence one another, and that they were not feeding off of the other. So long as the two are influencing each other, even if it is lopsided against the Emperors, dynastic dynamics matter.

Muhammad and the French revolution certainly did change the course of history.

But really, it's far more difficult to remodel an economy and push it forward a thousand years or so than to produce a vast, sweeping change of territory. You can argue of course, that the Roman government without the crisis of the 3rd century will be different and more friendly to economic development....somewhat. It's just that it probably won't to the degree you believe it will be. With the exception of maybe maximizing tax revenue (which may or may not be a good thing since the implication is that you are taking it from the productive sectors of the economy and putting it into.....something) I can't think of too many examples where states were good at conducting economic policy in pre-modern times.

Last edited:

RousseauX

Donor
I think the particular developments of the agriculture are overemphasized in importance when talking about the forces necessary to an industrial revolution (though admittedly not as much as things like "availability of coal"). The key to getting an industrial revolution is that first you need a commercial revolution, that is you need a strong demand for what will become industrial goods (so a strong middle-class to act as consumers) and for the cost of labor to be such that investments in advancing productivity (through technological advances or proto-factories) are cost effective.
Actually for this to be sustainable you need vast improvements in agriculture first, because people who work in industry don't produce food, which means that without vast improved average product of labor in agriculture you have far less surplus to feed non-producers, and thus fewer non-producers in general.

Which means your industrial revolution is going to be strangled in its cradle because your workforce will be limited. Not only that but your society is setup to undergo a Malthusian crisis every couple of centuries or so (see the repeated waves of plagues in the Roman Empire) which will crash your industrialization efforts.

If you want an example of a relatively industrial society without the surplus from improved agricultural production/colonialism, it would be something like Venice in the Medieval era.

TBF, we got to to a political PoD by looking at how to set up the economic pre-requisites in Rome.

Like I said, I don't think politics had too much to do with it (at least not within the Roman imperial framework). Don't get forget that the proto-industrial/industrial stage in western Europe occurred during when of its most convoluted phases of political history.

Last edited:
I'm not saying agriculture isn't an element, just that I think economics drives technology (including agricultural tech), not the other way around.

So why -do- we think that there are proto-industrialism in the Roman Empire anymore than say, the 1300s in western Europe or northern Italy.

Well again, that's the OP. Personally I'm more a fan of imagining capitalist revolutions in Al-Andalus or post-sengoku Japan.