Bicentennial Man: Ford '76 and Beyond

Charles marrying Mountbatten's granddaughter makes a lot of sense! A quick note, with Mountbatten not murdered and made into a martyr, I wonder if his legacy will be more complex than in OTL. There are certain allegations of sexual abuse that might tarnish his reputation and that of the Prince of Wales. Just something to consider, if you have not already.

Saudi Arabia certainly seems like in a make or break point. This could either be Healy's Falklands or his Suez Canal, it's on a knife's edge either way.
I hadn’t thought of that but that’s a good point… he’d probably die mid to late 80s, I imagine, at which point some of that stuff might come out. And unlike Prince Andrew, Mountbatten is somewhat more tangential to The Firm and thus might not get quite as much “cover”

One thing your comment makes me realize is that a US that still managed to hash out the Egypt-Israeli Accord and still has Iran onside might not be as keen to view the Saudis as their partner of choice in the Mideast, which really took off post-1979 IOTL. This could be an opportunity for Britain to re-flex its muscles in the Gulf (which has traditionally been its region of influence until Winds of Change) and it still had good relations with the UAE. Healy is on Labour’s right anyways, so a chance to purge the Ghosts of Suez might be appetizing…

It also probably saves Charles from a very unhappy marriage with a very inappropriate woman. The only real loser will be the British tabloids.
That too. Those two were a horrible fit for each other.
Egypt is probably dancing with glee seeing Saudi Arabia descending into chaos lol
Sadat has basically had the Mideast’s premier position segued back into his lap thanks to the chaos in Iran and SA at this point, yeah

Healy is on Labour’s right anyways, so a chance to purge the Ghosts of Suez might be appetizing…
Healy getting a 'Gotcha!' moment with the papers might succeed in holding off the de-facto conservative bias in the papers, at least for a good few years. No pressure eitherway! It is your story after all, if he falls flat on his face it's equally realistic!

he’d probably die mid to late 80s, I imagine, at which point some of that stuff might come out. And unlike Prince Andrew, Mountbatten is somewhat more tangential to The Firm and thus might not get quite as much “cover”
Just a further point on the off chance you decide to take this further, and I would like to state this is just my read of the situation.

Mountbatten might be easier to 'cut loose' as it were, but I imagine it would be quite a devastating thing for Britain to have to deal with. Many behind the scenes may have regarded him suspiciously ( A personal favorite quote is from Field Marshall Templer, "You are so crooked, Dickie, that if you swallowed a nail, you would shit a corkscrew") but to the public he's a massive war hero and a symbol of a better time. Even if just one of the allegations regarding his behaviour gets out, it's going to be nasty stuff. The shock of Andrew being accused came down to his position in the Royal Family, I suspect that there would have been a far greater outburst of shock and confusion if it was Charles or Phillip or even one of the Princes getting the accusation. The dashing war hero, on the other hand? Using his own position during war to do...that?!

Tl:dr, Mountbatten's scandals would probably be a big fucking deal.

Healy getting a 'Gotcha!' moment with the papers might succeed in holding off the de-facto conservative bias in the papers, at least for a good few years. No pressure eitherway! It is your story after all, if he falls flat on his face it's equally realistic!

Just a further point on the off chance you decide to take this further, and I would like to state this is just my read of the situation.

Mountbatten might be easier to 'cut loose' as it were, but I imagine it would be quite a devastating thing for Britain to have to deal with. Many behind the scenes may have regarded him suspiciously ( A personal favorite quote is from Field Marshall Templer, "You are so crooked, Dickie, that if you swallowed a nail, you would shit a corkscrew") but to the public he's a massive war hero and a symbol of a better time. Even if just one of the allegations regarding his behaviour gets out, it's going to be nasty stuff. The shock of Andrew being accused came down to his position in the Royal Family, I suspect that there would have been a far greater outburst of shock and confusion if it was Charles or Phillip or even one of the Princes getting the accusation. The dashing war hero, on the other hand? Using his own position during war to do...that?!

Tl:dr, Mountbatten's scandals would probably be a big fucking deal.
It’s definitely an idea worth using; maybe he dies of natural causes shortly after the royal wedding and then shortly thereafter the scandal erupts in the early 1980s?

It’s definitely an idea worth using; maybe he dies of natural causes shortly after the royal wedding and then shortly thereafter the scandal erupts in the early 1980s?
To be clear, feel free to just do whatever you want. I'm not trying to trample over your timeline, I'm not trying to throw my own ideas into the pot. My brain just took the diversion you presented in story and started thinking it through. You're doing a great job without me, I hope I'm not pushing these ideas onto you.

Charles marrying the granddaughter of Mountbatten is definitely a interesting change. Kudos to coming up with it. Very much looking forward to how their marriage goes

To be clear, feel free to just do whatever you want. I'm not trying to trample over your timeline, I'm not trying to throw my own ideas into the pot. My brain just took the diversion you presented in story and started thinking it through. You're doing a great job without me, I hope I'm not pushing these ideas onto you.
No no not at all! I’m always welcoming to brainstorms. If I like an idea and think I can use it I always do :)
Charles marrying the granddaughter of Mountbatten is definitely a interesting change. Kudos to coming up with it. Very much looking forward to how their marriage goes
Thanks! My original thought when I had the idea of an alternate wife for Charles was Sarah Spencer but after reading up on her she seemed a little kooky/press-hungry so decided to go with a perhaps more logical choice

The Brooklyn Boxer vs. Hollywood Ron
The Brooklyn Boxer vs. Hollywood Ron

The Democrats emerged out of their convention unified and optimistic, even if there were grumblings from some corners of the party that it had been a little too "New York-y" for Middle America. It was widely agreed in all corners of American politics that the Democrats most certainly had the wind in their sails: the GOP had held the White House for twelve tumultuous years that included the end of the Vietnam War, Watergate, the controversial Ohio recount, and now the Panama Crisis, and despite occasional pockets of improving employment numbers and GDP growth they had presided over a decade of oil shocks, stubbornly high inflation, factory closures and now, at the end, the worst economic contraction since the Great Depression. To the average Democrat, the Republicans had governed poorly first under the shady Nixon and the hapless Ford - now they seemed ready to foist upon the United States an extremist cowboy in Reagan. Many partisans, in particular the campaign operatives who had in their youth come up under Eugene McCarthy or George McGovern and powered the Watergate Baby landslides of 1974, the case made itself.

Carey's camp strongly disagreed, and it was perhaps the greatest mark of the difference between the Old Left, New Dealer wing of the party and the ascendant New Left, college-educated apparatchik wing. Carey could vividly recall Reagan defeated an incumbent two-term Governor in 1966 on a campaign of backlash to the cultural excesses of the 1960s and how he had nearly toppled a sitting President of his own party four short years earlier, long before the public and the Republican base had aggressively turned against Ford. Winning a fourth term in the White House, especially when it was an open seat, was no easy task, but Reagan was not to be underestimated. His skepticism of some advisors suggesting he run on "Reagan's radicalism" was borne out with the Reagan camp's hard pivot to a softer, more optimistic tone out of the convention, playing on the Californian's silver screen charisma, and their nomination of a respected female foreign-policy wonk in Anne Armstrong as Reagan's VP choice, hoping that Armstrong's domestic ambiguity would avoid difficult questions on the issues of the day. Carey anticipated a deluge of aggressive campaigning and negative ads about "New York values" and "tax and spend liberals" against him to appeal to culturally conservative working-class voters, and if Reagan was going to attack his strengths - that is, the rebound of New York - then he was going to do the same.

Much of Reagan's political appeal had always been built on his movie star looks and movie star charisma. Though he was hardly a Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogart, much of America had still grown up watching Reagan's movies and he was a cultural icon for a broad swath of America for his career in Hollywood as much as he was a major leader of the New Right for his conservatism. The Brooklyn brain trust was skeptical that attacking the latter would do much good; Reagan was running as an anti-establishment outsider pitching his appeal entirely on having first conquered the old, tired Nixon-Ford establishment and gunning for the creaky New Deal establishment next. No, the way to hit Reagan was to attack his appeal as a movie star.

Historians of the 1980 campaign are not sure exactly who in the Carey camp coined the terms "the Brooklyn Boxer" and "Hollywood Ron," but whoever it was scored a major PR coup. The first term told the story about Carey that the campaign wanted to tell - a gruff, Irish-American who had been an amateur boxer in his youth; a war hero; a tough sunofabitch who "beat" the issues facing America's greatest city and saved it from bankruptcy and ruin. This was not a hippie-fueled McGovern or a lecturing moral scold like Carter - this was your father's kind of Democrat, a hard-edged union man who fights for what's right and isn't afraid to sock somebody in the mouth to do it. The "Brooklyn Boxer" campaign persona also served to try to paper over media aghastness at what were seen as below-the-belt attacks on Reagan's age and competency for office - if Reagan hadn't expected to be hit, repeatedly, he shouldn't have stepped in the ring. Pollster Pat Caddell suggested in later years that the aggressiveness of the Carey campaign probably wouldn't have worked against anybody else to the same effect and probably turned off more than a few gettable liberal and moderate voters, but "Hollywood Ron" was the left hook to the "Brooklyn Boxer" right.

"Hollywood Ron" was not Ronald Reagan, a John Wayne stand-in who would fix all of America's problems; he was a slick, empty actor, all shine and no substance. A Democrat attacking a Republican for being too associated with Hollywood was, and still is, a strange phenomenon, considering the film industry's liberal reputation then and now, but Carey leaned into it. The Carey campaign was relying heavily on making the electorate see Reagan as an unserious old man out of his element on the big stage, a B-movie actor who failed upwards and could not be trusted as anything other than sleazy liar who was too good on TV. On policy, meanwhile, the Democratic campaigns kept it simple - rather than attack Reagan's policies as too extreme, which Carey thought would fall flat with a very angry electorate open to drastic change, they instead simply reminded voters, over and over and over again, of all the things they disliked about the Republicans over the last twelve years, and presented them with a simple alternative, best encapsulated in Carey's famous campaign ad that played various scenes of the debacles of the 1970s and closed with the text: "Had Enough? Vote Carey."

Brooklyn Boxer va Hollywood Ron is damn clever I gotta say! Wonderful work! Glad that you are doing well
Thanks!
A Democrat who punches back against a Republican rather than cower in fear? Be still my beating heart!
Haha that’s not even really what I was going for; Carter tried to run the Goldwater playbook again in 1980 and to say the least that didn’t really work. I wanted to explore what a successful counter to Reagan could have looked like and emphasized, and something more akin to the Obama-Romney or Bush-Kerry strategy seemed apropos

Interesting, very weird to see the dynamic of a democrat painting a republican candidate as “weak” and “Hollywood”. I wonder if the Carey Campaign would point out that Reagan at one point was a new dealer until his acting career went stale and started taking corporate money as a speaker. It could add to the punch of Reagan being an actor who can’t be trusted. There’s a video on YouTube of Reagan doing a radio pitch for democrats and Truman in 1948. The irony of the video is hilarious but equally as depressing lol

Interesting, very weird to see the dynamic of a democrat painting a republican candidate as “weak” and “Hollywood”. I wonder if the Carey Campaign would point out that Reagan at one point was a new dealer until his acting career went stale and started taking corporate money as a speaker. It could add to the punch of Reagan being an actor who can’t be trusted. There’s a video on YouTube of Reagan doing a radio pitch for democrats and Truman in 1948. The irony of the video is hilarious but equally as depressing lol
Alternate timeline where a Democrat Reagan leads a resurgence of New Dealerism? 😛

"Had Enough? Vote Carey."
Oh, that's a nice one.

All in all, a democratic dominated 80's will be a ride in on itself.

Also, with Saudi Arabia increasingly on the edge, I wonder how Iran will intervene. Apparently, during Shah's higpoint in the early 70's Kissinger and Bixon suggested that in the case of a radical takeover in Arabia, Iran would intervene and seize the oilfields in the east.