You Get What You Give- An End of History Timeline

OK, before I get to the 2000 election build-up, I'll do a "Where Are They Now?" segment for January 1, 2000. I'll only do it if I get enough requests from several different people.

I will not use your person if:
1) I have plans for them I'd rather not give away, or
2) If they aren't really that different than OTL.

Glad to see it back:D

Just hope that Jack Kemp would either die in office or be impeached:eek: and then we get President Powell:D (oh wait, that won't happen in a dystopic TL@@)

Simple enough, where is Tony Blair now:D

Last edited:
1. Thande:D
2. Tony Blair
3. Mike Huckabee
4. Matt Fong
5. Bob Taft
6. Helmut Kohl
7. John Chafee
8. Zell Miller

Last edited:
I forgot to mention how interesting it is that you figured out a 1996 election where a candidate (Brown) came in 1st place in popular vote but 3rd place in EVs. It's definitely possible with our quirky Electoral College and the map from the electoral atlas website must be very interesting.

I forgot to mention how interesting it is that you figured out a 1996 election where a candidate (Brown) came in 1st place in popular vote but 3rd place in EVs. It's definitely possible with our quirky Electoral College and the map from the electoral atlas website must be very interesting.

I made a map, but it won't let me upload.

Last edited:
I'll begin work on the "Where Are They Not" bit if I get a couple more suggestions for cultural figures (ie: actors, writers, etc). because that could shed light on pop culture.

1. Natalie Portman
2. Stephen Colbert
3. Stefani Germanotta
4. Ewan McGregor
5. Leonardo Di Caprio
6. Jon Hamm
7. Kiefer Sutherland
8. Charlie Sheen
9. Michael Phelps
10. Dan Brown
11. J. K. Rowling
12. Ian McEwan

I just found this. What the fuck did you do to America?

I love America, and as a disclaimer would never, ever want to see any of what is depicted in this timeline happen in real life (except maybe a Starship Troopers directed by James Cameron :D)

I'll do this in chunks (some of the people asked about I'll have to research more, as I know substantially less about foreign politics than domestic ones).
Starting with glenn67's suggestions:

---

-Though he may have lost the Vice Presidency in 1996, BILL CLINTON is intent on making another White House bid in the future, this time on the top of the ticket. Though Cuomo was fairly unpopular by the time he left office, Bill was still a popular person owing to his charm and charisma. He won the 1998 Senate election from Arkansas, and is widely touted as the front-runner for the 2000 Democratic nomination…

-Brothers GEORGE WALKER and JEB BUSH were both rather shaken by the death of their father, but have managed to cope well. They both are in the second terms of their governorships, and are beginning to look at their plans beyond 2002. George is getting rather fed up with his political office, though; he has had some nasty confrontations with Lieutenant Governor JOHN SHARP, who narrowly defeated Agriculture Commissioner RICK PERRY in the 1998 election…

-Many pundits have claimed that Ohio Congressman DENNIS KUCINICH committed political suicide when he endorsed RALPH NADER of the Reform Party for the 1998 Senate election in Connecticut. While Nader polled respectably and at times looked like he could win, in the end all he did was split enough of the liberal vote that conservative Republican GARY FRANKS defeated both him and incumbent CHRIS DODD to become the next Senator from Connecticut (becoming only the third African-American to achieve this in the 20th since Reconstruction). Kucinich took a lot of heat for this, and is becoming increasingly isolated in the House…

-ARNOLD SCHWARZENNEGER remains one of Hollywood’s most successful actors. His starring role in director DANNY BOYLE’S I Am Legend zombie flick in 1999 brought him both critical praise and a lucrative cut of the film’s big box office returns. His next big project? Arnold and PAUL VERHOEVEN (who has redeemed himself for Showgirls by directing SHARON STONE’S Oscar-nominated performance in a Leni Refenstaul biopic) plan on making the goriest and grandest sword-and-sandals film ever made, tentatively titled Crusader

Last edited:
I'll do foreign leaders a little later. For now, I'll do tonykwok's requests, plus a couple of MaskedPickle's requests (again, sorry if some of the people even then weren't used, but that's either because, they are not that different, or I don't want to give anything off):

---

-MIKE HUCKABEE was elected to the Senate from Arkansas in 1996, amid rumors of corruption levied at Governor JIM TUCKER (ultimately, not enough evidence to convict him). A former Baptist preacher, Huckabee is socially one of the most conservative members of Congress, but is rather economically populist.

-MATT FONG became President Kemp's Secretary of the Treasury after NICHOLAS F. BRADY retired in 1998.

-WESLEY CLARK was killed by a Serbian sniper in the otherwise successful Operation Mountain Strike, a limited NATO strike into Kosovo in 1999 concurrent with the bombing of Serbia. The tragedy marred what should have been a public relations coup for the Kemp Administration.

-JOHN MCCAIN is one of the leading moderate Republicans in the Senate, along with Massachussetts Senator MITT ROMNEY. His disagreements with some of the more conservative elements of his party, though, brought him within a hair's breadth of joining the Reform Party in 1998. However, in the end, he believed it would just be flushing his own career down the toilet; he'd rather stay in the dominant party that he might have some rough spots with than with a party that would probably go nowhere. This turned out to be a fair assessment.