Would the 1973 Dune movie butterfly Star Wars?

There is no technical reason why Dune could not have been made in the early 70's. Chroma keying had been in existence for years before, and it was more than possible to make the handful of space sequences that would have appeared in any Dune adaptation. The sandworms and navigators would be able to be done using puppets, perhaps an early big break for Jim Henson?

As to how it would affect Star Wars; while it would by no means guarantee that the franchise is never made, it is very possible that A New Hope comes out as a largely forgettable and mediocre entry. Remember that so much of what made Star Wars so iconic were the result of happy coincidences(the final appearance of light sabers for instance).

Similarly, should Dune be made into a successfull film in the early seventies, we may actually see a successful adaptation of John Carter of Mars by the 80's.

Dune Cast

I startedworking on what a 1973 Crew and Cast would be like.
Produced by Arthur P Jacob.
Directed by Franklin J Schaffner ( He be a better choice than Charles Jarrott.) He done Sci Fi before with Planet of the Apes, as well as epic films like Patton andd the Warlord.

Script first draft by Rospo Pallenberg. Final draft by Ray Bradbury and Harlin Ellison.

Cinematography by Fred Koenekamp (Did Patton with Schaffner)
Music Jerry Goldsmith (Work with Jacobs on Planet of the Ape and Schaffner on Patton)

Makeup John Chambers (Work on Planet of the Apes)
Effect by L A Abbott and A D Flowers (Oscar for Tora Tora Tora)
Space efects by Douglas Trumbull (2001 A Space Odessey)
Sandworm animation by Jim Danforth (Nominated for Oscar in 1971 for When Dinosaurs rule the Earth)

Cast
Baron Harkonnen: Charlton Heston
Paul Atreides : Thinking either Bill Mummy or Mark Hamill
The Emperor : Peter Cushing

Plot wise. It see film starting with the Princess explanning the backgroung.
Opening Credits
Than we start with the Harkonnen Raid on the Atreides on Arrakis.
We see Paul and jessica escape to the desert and meet the Freman.
(Any thing from the beginning of the book, can be seen in Flashback but I like the Idea of starting with the Assult. We get off with a bang>)
Plot stick with the book then till the end. Film Focus on the Conflict between the Harkonnen, the Emperor and the Freman now lead by Paul.

Who do you recomend for the rest of the Cast?
Any changes ?

Last edited:
I startedworking on what a 1973 Crew and Cast would be like.
Produced by Arthur P Jacob.
Directed by Franklin J Schaffner ( He be a better choice than Charles Jarrott.) He done Sci Fi before with Planet of the Apes, as well as epic films like Patton andd the Warlord.

Script first draft by Rospo Pallenberg. Final draft by Ray Bradbury and Harlin Ellison.

Cinematography by Fred Koenekamp (Did Patton with Schaffner)
Music Jerry Goldsmith (Work with Jacobs on Planet of the Ape and Schaffner on Patton)

Makeup John Chambers (Work on Planet of the Apes)
Effect by L A Abbott and A D Flowers (Oscar for Tora Tora Tora)
Space efects by Douglas Trumbull (2001 A Space Odessey)
Sandworm animation by Jim Danforth (Nominated for Oscar in 1971 for When Dinosaurs rule the Earth)

Cast
Baron Harkonnen: Charlton Heston
Paul Atreides : Thinking either Bill Mummy or Mark Hamill
The Emperor : Peter Cushing

Plot wise. It see film starting with the Princess explanning the backgroung.
Opening Credits
Than we start with the Harkonnen Raid on the Atreides on Arrakis.
We see Paul and jessica escape to the desert and meet the Freman.
(Any thing from the beginning of the book, can be seen in Flashback but I like the Idea of starting with the Assult. We get off with a bang>)
Plot stick with the book then till the end. Film Focus on the Conflict between the Harkonnen, the Emperor and the Freman now lead by Paul.

Who do you recomend for the rest of the Cast?
Any changes ?

Don't see either of those for Paul, not enough gravitas in my mind though I can't think of someone else.

For Feyd Rautha, Malcolm McDowell ?

How about Micheal York as Paul? didnt the film company want to cast Salvador Dali as the Emperor? and Chris Foss did some pre production concept art

Duke Leto - Omar Sharif
Gurney Halleck - Charlton Heston
Paul Atreides - Michael York
Chani Kynes - Olivia Hussey perhaps?

Baron Harkonnen - I was thinking Orson Welles (not just because he was a big man, but that helps)
Piter DeVries - Leonard Nimoy?
Feyd Rautha - Malcolm McDowell = Win

Can't think of a good Emperor. I was thinking Marlon Brando, but I keep thinking of him as Godfather in space, so perhaps not...

How about Micheal York as Paul? didnt the film company want to cast Salvador Dali as the Emperor? and Chris Foss did some pre production concept art

Like Micheal York as Paul.

When did Chris Foss become a major Science Fiction Artist? I first remember seeing his work in the late 1970's.

Duke Leto - Omar Sharif

Baron Harkonnen - I was thinking Orson Welles (not just because he was a big man, but that helps)

Can't think of a good Emperor. I was thinking Marlon Brando, but I keep thinking of him as Godfather in space, so perhaps not...

Since I suggested that the film open with the Atack on the Atreides , the role of Duke Leto would at best be a small one. One or two flashback.
How about Sharif as Stilgar?

I still like Heston as Harkonnen. How about Wells as the Emperor?

Duke Leto - Omar Sharif

Oliva Hussey just does not seem the type of person to play someone raised in the Desert.
For Piter Devires, I recomend Tom Baker.

Dune casting

Paul Atreides- Micheal York
Gurney Halleck- Jame Coburn
Baron Harkonnen- Charlton Heston
Piter De Vries- Tom Baker
Feyd-Rautha- Maclcom Mcdowell
Emperor- Orson Wells
Princess Irulan -Oliva Hussey
Stilgar-Omar Sharif

We still need suggestion for the following
Lady Jessica
Alia atreides
Liet Kynes the imperial ecologist
Thufir Hawat
Duncan Idaho
Wellington Yueh
Glossu Rabban
The Reverend Mother
And Chani

Paul Atreides- Micheal York
Gurney Halleck- Jame Coburn
Baron Harkonnen- Charlton Heston
Piter De Vries- Tom Baker
Feyd-Rautha- Maclcom Mcdowell
Emperor- Orson Wells
Princess Irulan -Oliva Hussey
Stilgar-Omar Sharif

We still need suggestion for the following
Lady Jessica
Alia atreides
Liet Kynes the imperial ecologist
Thufir Hawat
Duncan Idaho
Wellington Yueh
Glossu Rabban
The Reverend Mother
And Chani

And Pau Father. Sorry forgot about him.

for Rabban, what about bud spencer ?

36581.jpg

The Vulture

Banned
You're making a huge mistake in assuming a 1973 Dune directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky would be a fun adventure movie instead of an incomprehensible and over-directed avant garde film clocking in at ten hours. No major actor would sign on for such an experiment. Most likely outcome: Pink Floyd's soundtrack is far better known than the movie itself.

Since I suggested that the film open with the Atack on the Atreides , the role of Duke Leto would at best be a small one. One or two flashback.
How about Sharif as Stilgar?

I still like Heston as Harkonnen. How about Wells as the Emperor?

Sharif as Stilgar could work. For Leto, either a big-name actor as a "cameo" or an unknown.

Emperor Wells? That could work.

You would not necessarily be butterflying Star Wars away. Lucas had been supposedly working on the script for a while. Hell, if Dune is successful studios would be looking for something to follow it up with and we might get Star Wars earlier.

However the film would be unrecognizable as Star Wars, as Lucas famously went over several drafts under studio pressure. Perhaps he is given more freedom, and money and we get something more like the prequels.

However the film would be unrecognizable as Star Wars, as Lucas famously went over several drafts under studio pressure. Perhaps he is given more freedom, and money and we get something more like the prequels.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH !!!! THE HORROR, THE HORROR !!!

...... there goes my childhood.....

Well the Dune movie this early could well delay Star Wars and almost certainly change it, the question is, how?

... Wait, there was an actress names Olivia Hussey?!:eek:
Hahahaha! Poor cow!:D