World War Z!

Darkest

Banned
The death toll was never totally discovered. It was thought that those who died at the hands of the zombies and subsequently joined their ranks numbered more than 600 million, but even that is said to be a conservative estimate, and doesn't take in the entire human death toll, from interhuman violence, starvation, the elements, the nuclear detonations in Iran and Pakistan, the super-winters due to all of the ash and fire clouding the atmosphere, etc. etc.

Some one says in the book that a few million more than a billion died during World War Z. I, however, believe that it was probably even more than that.

That was the kind of detail I had in mind. So what was the casulaty rate overall? And how well did China do? ;)

China was where Patient Zero was discovered, a diver in the Three Gorges Reservoir. Combine that with its huge population and, well, you can imagine how well it did. When Tibet (Independant) is the most populated country on Earth, you know China was screwed.

The death toll was never totally discovered. It was thought that those who died at the hands of the zombies and subsequently joined their ranks numbered more than 600 million, but even that is said to be a conservative estimate, and doesn't take in the entire human death toll, from interhuman violence, starvation, the elements, the nuclear detonations in Iran and Pakistan, the super-winters due to all of the ash and fire clouding the atmosphere, etc. etc.

Some one says in the book that a few million more than a billion died during World War Z. I, however, believe that it was probably even more than that.

Didn't someone say something like 'back when there were a billion' in regards to population. Which would mean more than 5 billion dead.

Darkest

Banned
I think that the speaker was talking about China, specifically. Maybe India, but I'm pretty sure it was just China. In the introduction, though, it specifically said that those killed by zombies numbered 600 million. That's conservative in my opinion, though. In "Total War", there were about 200 million zeds in the United States alone. They also said that "half of China was infected". That's like... what... 850,000,000 zombies, for only two countries? Granted, many of those in the United States could be refugees from the south, and on both counts these could be due to exaggeration... Also, add in the 25 million zombies estimated to lurk in the oceans.

If half of the population of China was affected, you know India is going to get a similiar or worse treatment. That gives you easily more than a billion zombies. The death toll could climb as high as two or three billion based off of these numbers, with everything added in.

Last edited:
I bought it thanks to AH.com. Loved the book so much read it in two days, I just couldn't stop it was so damn addicting.

I bought it thanks to AH.com. Loved the book so much read it in two days, I just couldn't stop it was so damn addicting.

Hell, I've read nearly 200 pages since I brought the book several hours ago. It is simply as engrossing as Birmo's AoT series of books.

On the subject, would anyone like to postulate on whatever happened to North Korea?

That's assuming the North was infected - possible since it borders China. Still, the other theory that the South Korean official in the book suggests - that Kim Jong Il (or whoever the North's leader is in the novel) took everyone underground and used the crisis to separate the country off from the rest of the world altogether. Now the N. Korean leader feels he can be "God" in the mind of the ppl.

Alcuin

Banned
China was where Patient Zero was discovered, a diver in the Three Gorges Reservoir. Combine that with its huge population and, well, you can imagine how well it did. When Tibet (Independant) is the most populated country on Earth, you know China was screwed.

Lhasa's population must be a lot higher than now... it's the most populous city in the world, yes... but Israel was successful in preventing outbreaks, when it called all the Jews and Palestinians home and then closed the doors. It follows that the populations of Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Bethlehem etc. are not much lower than they are now.

True it (Israel) closed its borders, but the country had to deal with a civil war of sorts, due to the ultra-religious being upset at not including all of Jerusalem in the quarantined area.

One thing that I loved about WWZ, the US Army being beaten by zombies! :D

When I first read the posts about the US military getting its but kicked, I thought, how? How do Zombies beat an M1 tank or a defended position. But Brook's solution of them running out of ammo and the panic factor was ingenious.

When I first read the posts about the US military getting its but kicked, I thought, how? How do Zombies beat an M1 tank or a defended position. But Brook's solution of them running out of ammo and the panic factor was ingenious.

1) They used Cold War doctrine. They might have done a Tianenman Square using the tanks, but I guess the top brass were too afraid of bad press and thought the zombies akin to human enemies. A very big mistake IMO.

2) They had plenty of armor-piercing rounds, but little of the stuff required to kill Zombies en masse.

Fantastic book. I read it on the recommendation of people here and elsewhere. Really good stuff. I'm just afraid what Hollywood will do to it now that it's in production to be a movie.

Alcuin

Banned
True it (Israel) closed its borders, but the country had to deal with a civil war of sorts, due to the ultra-religious being upset at not including all of Jerusalem in the quarantined area.

No, it was all included in the quarantined zone. The ultra-orthodox objected to the palestinians being included.