I can't do the delegate math on this - it seems like Reagan had a last-minute surge in the June 3rd primaries, so where does that leave the two of them?
That depends. Was a winner-take-all system in place in 1980, or was it proportional?

That depends. Was a winner-take-all system in place in 1980, or was it proportional?

They've always left it up to the states, so you have some proportional, some winner-take-all, some with proportional thresholds, etc. I don't it's possible to figure out a delegate total without a shitton of research. That said, with a POD in late April, I believe Bush was already screwed.

July 14th-July 17th, 1980: Despite a moderately contentious convention, Ronald Reagan receives the Republican nomination for President. However, Director Bush had alienated a large number of Reagan's supporters with his stiff opposition in the primaries, and especially with the perception of being a sore loser in the race. As such, Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina is selected instead to be Reagan's running mate.

August 11-14, 1980: At its convention in New York City, the Democratic Party nominates incumbent President Jimmy Carter of Georgia and Vice President Walter Mondale of Minnesota for re-election.

They've always left it up to the states, so you have some proportional, some winner-take-all, some with proportional thresholds, etc. I don't it's possible to figure out a delegate total without a shitton of research. That said, with a POD in late April, I believe Bush was already screwed.

July 14th-July 17th, 1980: Despite a moderately contentious convention, Ronald Reagan receives the Republican nomination for President. However, Director Bush had alienated a large number of Reagan's supporters with his stiff opposition in the primaries, and especially with the perception of being a sore loser in the race. As such, Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina is selected instead to be Reagan's running mate.

Jesse Helms? I think Reagan would push for moderate voters by selecting someone like Baker as his running mate.

Jesse Helms? I think Reagan would push for moderate voters by selecting someone like Baker as his running mate.

I picked Helms primarily because he made a challenge for the VP slot at the Convention IOTL. Even though that went nowhere, I get the sense that Reagan wasn't seen as that radical by 1980 anyways, so he could pick who he wanted.

June 20, 1980: The Blues Brothers is released to cinemas.

July 2, 1980: Airplane! is released to cinemas. Known as Flying High outside the U.S., the film is a parody of the disaster genre and becomes known for the line "Don't call me Shirley!"

July 25, 1980: Caddyshack is released to cinemas.

October 22, 1980: Ayatollah Khomeini suffers a fatal heart attack at the age of 78.

October 28, 1980: The only presidential debate of the campaign season is held in Cleveland, Ohio, with President Carter, Ronald Reagan, and John Anderson. Carter is widely seen as the winner of the debate due to his sharp criticisms of Reagan's economic platform and Anderson's inexperience.

November 4, 1980: Jimmy Carter is narrowly re-elected President of the United States by a margin of just 5 electoral votes. Carter's victory is largely attributed to the Anderson campaign splitting the conservative voter bloc between him and Reagan.

genusmap.php

President Jimmy Carter (D-GA) / Vice President Walter Mondale (D-MN) - 271 EV (50.3% PV)

Fmr. Gov. Ronald Reagan (R-CA) / Sen. Jesse Helms (R-NC) - 267 EV (48.6% PV)

Rep. John Anderson (I-IL) / Amb. Patrick Lucey (I-WI) - 0 EV (1.1% PV)

November 5, 1980: In the early hours of the morning, Ronald Reagan concedes the election to President Carter, saying "This is only the beginning of my journey forward. I've got big plans in store."

Last edited:
January 20, 1981: Jimmy Carter is sworn in by Chief Justice Warren E. Burger for a second term as President of the United States. In his second inaugural address, Carter says that "We are far from finished. We still have a lot of work to do in restoring American prosperity. However, I myself cannot do it alone. That is why I need the help of you, the American people, to bring this country out of a rut and into a bold, new era of prosperity."

April 2, 1981: It is revealed that President Carter's attempted assassin, 33-year-old Doug White, tried to kill him in order to impress child actor Brooke Shields.

April 5, 1981: President Carter is released from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, after having spent 5 days recovering from a gunshot wound.