WIP Map Thread

WIP for a series of climate maps for different versions of a terraformed Mars; I'm open to suggestions on how to improve these/suggestions for different climate variations. The Martian rivers used here were originally by Nucleep, and a few maps by Mattystereo and rvbomally were used for reference in working out the climates.
Several terraformed Mars climate maps.png

"Schrodinger's final draft" of this (credit for the bottom-left basemap to rvbomally), though I might end up doing more terraformed Mars/terraformed planet climate maps later on. I'm mainly posting it here so anyone with more climatological knowledge than me can correct me on any glaring errors before I put this anywhere else.

Dumping some projects I decided to put "on hold" for the time being

The Republic Of Buenos Aires

dgn79nw-d012f199-1c28-48b8-af55-e127f40cb96e.png

Deviantart Link

The scenario is that Argentina gets balkanized (This time done right as I don't quite like other attempts at the idea), with the map focusing on the area around the Buenos Aires Province (and also my homeland). For the record, the topography of the map was completely and 100% hand-drawn, no use of qgis in there. The same goes for the coastlines, rivers, and towns.

New Era Old World Europe Map

dgn7frw-39273b62-022a-4649-9ecc-234e8c5445e1.png

Deviantart Link

This is based in it's entirely on the Crusader Kings 2 mod New Era Old World (DON'T DOWNLOAD IT ON STEAM, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN IN THE DESCRIPTION TO DOWNLOAD IT). I chose to map the mod because I found it quite underrated considering the amount of stuff it adds to the game and how much the mod developers work on it. If you want to see more relevant links for the mod check the deviantart description on it. You can also find more credits for the map inspiration when it comes to it's style

And also

dgn7g5m-fe4f878f-00d1-481e-85fb-20cd7a757a9b.png

Not really on hold as I'm still working on it regularly. Take this as an sneak peak of sorts for when it finally get completed

Full credits will be given when it's done, for now I'd like to credit Keperry012 The Civilizations of California as I incorporated his scenario into mine (with his permission of course)

New Era Old World Europe Map

dgn7frw-39273b62-022a-4649-9ecc-234e8c5445e1.png

Deviantart Link

This is based in it's entirely on the Crusader Kings 2 mod New Era Old World (DON'T DOWNLOAD IT ON STEAM, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN IN THE DESCRIPTION TO DOWNLOAD IT). I chose to map the mod because I found it quite underrated considering the amount of stuff it adds to the game and how much the mod developers work on it. If you want to see more relevant links for the mod check the deviantart description on it. You can also find more credits for the map inspiration when it comes to it's style
these both look really cool but the second one caught my interest. most importantly:
1. what's the deal with zanzibari hampshire? that's definitely a new one
2. why does venice have... a lake? in it. i'm not sure what it is.

these both look really cool but the second one caught my interest. most importantly:
1. what's the deal with zanzibari hampshire? that's definitely a new one
2. why does venice have... a lake? in it. i'm not sure what it is.
1. The Sultan of Zanzibar lives in Hampshire now. In the lore they are an exiled royal family that ended up getting land and titles in Britain by the monarchy. They are not only exiled royal families as you can find the house of Solomonid (Rulers of Ethiopia) and the House of Giray (Rulers of the Crimean Khanate) both landed in England. The Zanzibaris got to keep the titular title tho

2. Is supposed to be a Wasteland of the Alps, if you played paradox games like CK or EU then is clearer (The map is a cover of a ck2 mod after all). Also btw that wasteland is outdated now , as in newest versions they added a new passage on that big one

1. The Sultan of Zanzibar lives in Hampshire now. In the lore they are an exiled royal family that ended up getting land and titles in Britain by the monarchy. They are not only exiled royal families as you can find the house of Solomonid (Rulers of Ethiopia) and the House of Giray (Rulers of the Crimean Khanate) both landed in England. The Zanzibaris got to keep the titular title tho

2. Is supposed to be a Wasteland of the Alps, if you played paradox games like CK or EU then is clearer (The map is a cover of a ck2 mod after all). Also btw that wasteland is outdated now , as in newest versions they added a new passage on that big one
i was under the impression that zanzibar had a treaty port or something going on in hampshire, but knowing that it's in-exile and actually holds land is something else entirely. i wonder if they ask for jizya. as for the alps, that does clear things up a bit. i've played CK2 for all of a couple hours but i'm much more familiar with EU4's wasteland system, slightly less prevalent as it may be in europe

1704142752788.png

A map project abandoned almost a year ago, it was for a competition whose title was Carthage's victory over Rome during the Punic Wars. I didn't manage to turn anything in before the deadline, and it's been gathering dust ever since.
The map on the left shows the remnants of Carthaginian civilization, after an extremely destabilizing Germanic immigration. Carthaginian civilization was reorganized around Germanic populations and rulers, with numerous vassals and potentates.
The middle map shows Carthaginian civilization at its zenith. From darkest to lightest you can see Carthage and its direct dependencies, Carthaginian protectorates and the presence of Carthaginian merchants or their wares.
The map at bottom right shows the expansion of Germanic populations into Eurasia and North Africa (with Germanic culture and language even more developed).
The map at top right represents the expansion of the "Prophet in Blue" religion, adopted by Carthage (a religion that is partly similar to Roman stoicism in its doctrine, to Buddha in its travels and to Jesus in its representation). This is, I think, the most developed part of this project.

On the same map, we can see the route taken by the prophet during his lifetime. Born in the mountains of Armenia, he was enslaved after an attack on his village (1).
He was then bought to serve as a servant in Egypt (2). He was noted for his mastery of the arts of music, song and poetry, but above all for his philosophy, which amazed even the most powerful people in the city. He was eventually freed by his master. But disgusted by the excesses and opulence of the city, he decided to retire to the desert to pray (3). After going deeper and deeper into the desert, he found himself enlightened and returned to civilization. For many years, he made a name for himself through his many medical talents and his preaching. He returned just as Carthage's hegemony collapsed in the face of Germanic invasion.
As a powerful Germanic king laid siege to the greatest and most powerful city in the known world, the Prophet set out with his followers to prevent bloodshed (4). Confronted by the German king, the Prophet asks him to renounce violence and return to the city of Carthage not as a plunderer but as a prince, then kneels down and chooses to keep the sword in its scabbard.
Faced with such an affront, the Germanic king charges the man with his mount, but the reflection of the sun on the Prophet's scabbard blinds the horse, which falls backwards with its rider.
Terribly wounded, the Germanic king nevertheless sought treatment from the Prophet. After three nights of treatment, the king was cured. To thank the Prophet, the king converts to his teachings and agrees to spare Carthage.
After a year of helping the Germanic king reign over Carthage and restore peace, the Prophet in blue made one last journey, towards the setting sun (5). He ends his life on the Iberian peninsula, in a temple built by the ocean. His remains and the place of his death are the object of numerous pilgrimages.

I still don't know if I'm going to take on this project again, but talking about it here while writing this post has made me want to work on it again.

Speaking of @Keperry , made a start on a word map for his "really old-fashioned middle east" map. Will be a while: identifying early Indian subcontinent states and their geography will be a bother.
This looks awesome, really looking forward to seeing what else you do with it!

In my original worlda drafts I also tried my hand at the Indian subcontinent, found that it is indeed a huge pain, and left it behind, so I ended up with this kind of broad outline - the idea was lumping together the broad cultural regions in Vedic/post-Vedic India rather than trying to get each individual state, which has the upside of being easier and simpler and the downside of being very blobby-looking with unrealistically even-sized states (and still leaves a lot of India uncovered either way).
Bronze India.png

This looks awesome, really looking forward to seeing what else you do with it!

In my original worlda drafts I also tried my hand at the Indian subcontinent, found that it is indeed a huge pain, and left it behind, so I ended up with this kind of broad outline - the idea was lumping together the broad cultural regions in Vedic/post-Vedic India rather than trying to get each individual state, which has the upside of being easier and simpler and the downside of being very blobby-looking with unrealistically even-sized states (and still leaves a lot of India uncovered either way).
View attachment 879039
Since we're going with "ancient India" here, how about basing India off of the Mahajanapadas?

Recently for whatever reason, I remembered that a now long discontinued TL I read was one that had the Holy Britannian Empire from Code Geass ISOTed on the day of 9/11 literally as the hijackings were in progress. Turns out, what I had remembered was Master Xion's The Invasion from the West. What's below is a WIP for a one-shot inspired by the TL that has the same basic premise but with some minor differences from canon CG and more significant differences from Invasion from the West:
  • Internal Divisions for the HBE, with burgundy colored areas being full provinces (called the Homeland) and the Areas (conquered subjects) having Sub-Areas. For example, HBE Mexico has three Sub-Areas referred to as Area 3a, 3b and 3c.
    • The borders within the Midwest are of course still a WIP.
  • Afghanistan and Pakistan are Area 11 (the designation giving to Japan after their conquest in the original anime), the first post-ISOT territory gains for the HBE. The TL's final story post also mentions a Somali Pacification and an "Asia-Pacific-Britannia War" but for the purposes of this particular map (currently set circa 2002), neither has occurred yet if at all.
  • The Britannians actually have allies post-ISOT. Emperor Charles zi isn't a fan of the Jews, the HBE's antisemitism has been something present stems from Napoleon's conquest of the UK in their world, L'Empereur's emancipation of and benevolence towards the Jews planting the seeds for this particular development. IIRC, antisemitism within the HBE isn't canon (been years since I've seen the show honestly) but it's mostly just for a reason for them to have willing allies. Saddam's Iraq is the most friendly towards Britannia, mostly due to said antisemitism and mutual hostility towards Iran and Israel. Overtime, this brings Gaddafi's Libya (who Russia, undergoing a detente with the Europeans, will throw to the wolves come the spring-summer of 2003), Algeria and their Western Saharan client into the HBE orbit.
    • What the map doesn't show is the HBE's growing influence on the worldwide far-right, most visible in trying to control the far-right in the UK and bankrolling AWB terrorism in South Africa.
  • The UK still has Bermuda and the Falklands in this scenario while Hawaii was left behind in the ISOT, becoming the base of a USA in exile. Just to do something different.
  • Sakuradite, a rare earth mineral responsible for being power source of the Knightmare Frame mobile weapons among other advances, will first have its first deposits discovered outside of the HBE primarily in Japan, the Congo and South Africa.
6tFW6Vw.png

Last edited:
More of a final draft of the above. Now set in September 11th, 2005, about four years after the Holy Britannian Empire's arrival onto our Earth. The downfall of Britannia's few overseas allies (Iraq, Libya, Algeria, the Western Sahara and Madagascar) is either complete or already in progress.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Wars of Terror coming soon(TM) to a Map Thread near you. Open to questions and comments.
iY8vyi3.png

Last edited:
The downfall of Britannia's few overseas allies (Iraq, Libya, Algeria, the Western Sahara and Madagascar) is either complete or already in progress.
How/by whom?
With USA gone* I doubt there is a force able to succesfully invade and occupy multiple countries
* I know, there is still Hawaii and possibly other territories and US forces abroad are probably still there? though most likely in chaos

How/by whom?
With USA gone* I doubt there is a force able to succesfully invade and occupy multiple countries
* I know, there is still Hawaii and possibly other territories and US forces abroad are probably still there? though most likely in chaos

The map is set in 2005, what I thought of was by then the threat the Britannians pose to the rest of the world would result in, among other things, a Euro-Russia rapprochement that would increase the manpower the EU would have available for foreign interventions.

Libya is the only nation under occupation. Gadaffi aligned with the Britannians, following Saddam's lead due to their shared hostility to Europe and Israel (Britannian cultural antisemitism at play there). After the Britannians use Mogadishu as a live testing ground for their first FLEIJA weapon (the power of a nuke but with none of the pesky fallout) and all but obliterating the Islamic Courts Union and shattering what little there was of a Somali state, the rest of the world outside of the HBE's little bloc considers the Imperials an active existential threat and openly begins to overthrow what allies they have. Libya's thrown to the wolves with Russian blessing and Gadaffi was flung against the wall by the Europeans along with most of higher up loyalists.

Liberia's got a small primarily British force there to oversee the peaceful transition of power away from Charles Taylor. A much happier ending than in Madagascar.

Algeria's government was toppled by a European backed military coup, no foreign troops present. The HBE's anti-Israeli stance was given as a reason for the previous government's alignment with the Birtannians, even if it never sat exactly well with Algerian civilians or most of the military, aligning with a power that killed millions of fellow Muslims in their conquest of Afghanistan and Pakistan and were actively all but enslaving the survivors was a big factor but the eradication of Mogadishu was the last straw.

The Western Sahara was only in because of Britannian pressure on Algeria, figuring they could use the SADR to bypass the EU blockade of the Strait of Gibraltar (and the Moroccans weren't going to sign their own death warrant for the Polisario Front). All this got them was being fully annexed by Morocco with little foreign protest.

Iraq is actively under a civil war between Saddam's pro-Britannian government, a democratic-Shiite Muslim united front based in Basra, and the Kurds who got enough of being target practice for Britannian Foreign Legionaries. Saddam ingratiated himself with Emperor Charles zi Britannia enough that there were Imperial troops to assist his forces (it's why Al-Faw peninsula is still under government control). No European forces present there but the Basra government and the Kurds are being supplied by the Europeans and the new Israel-Saudi-Iran detente courtesy of all having the same enemy. Charles zi is also a huge Darwinist, if he starts to consider Saddam useless or otherwise a failure he will abandon him to his fate like he already did with his North African "allies".

Madgascar has a AREMA insurgency in the central highlands that's about to give way to a full on uprising. Charles has given President Marc Ravalomanana a similar ultimatum as Saddam.

Yeah there's still US forces abroad although by 2005, all of them either incorporated into their new homes (mainly the UK and Germany) or headed back to the rump USA over in Hawaii and the Marshall Islands (primarily personnel from Japan and the RoK). They don't have the manpower like you said, but they still got a nuclear stockpile and is all but set to try and wipe out the West Coast should the HBE target them next.

Last edited:

"Schrodinger's final draft" of this (credit for the bottom-left basemap to rvbomally), though I might end up doing more terraformed Mars/terraformed planet climate maps later on. I'm mainly posting it here so anyone with more climatological knowledge than me can correct me on any glaring errors before I put this anywhere else.
This is epic, as a person who's always featured a human-settled (sometimes terraformed as well) Mars in my maps, I've always been interested in the possible biome scenarios for a terraformed Mars.

1705942863058.png

To put it simply:
The early 17th century got off to a bad start for the Turks, after a crushing defeat in Mesopotamia against Iran.
An untimely death of Murad IV leaves his brother Ibrahim on the throne in the mid-1630s, only to die without an heir a few years later. The throne reverted to the Girays of Crimea, but Islam Giray and Mehmed Giray found themselves fighting a war of succession, one in Constantinople and the other in Cairo.
It was in the ruins of the Turkish Empire that the Jewish Sabbatai Zevi emerged as a self-proclaimed Messiah in Smyrna in the 1650s. His cult soon became a syncretism of Jewish and Muslim religions. After his "death", his monotheism spread throughout the Muslim world, provoking bloody civil wars between Muslims, Jews and Sabbatarians, who regularly found it difficult to distinguish between them.
The map shows in red the "Mahdist states" (more or less ephemeral), a Mahdi in Sabbateanism being a leader who must restore the faith to allow the return of the Messiah.

Ragnorok scroll.png

Some progress. Unfortunately, here we stall because I have no idea how to deal with the effects of removing all that land from the world. Maybe I should say that the ASB didn't only submerge the British Empire, but also prevented all the logical ecologically catastrophic effects of doing so... But that might be pushing it, even for ASB

View attachment 883640
Some progress. Unfortunately, here we stall because I have no idea how to deal with the effects of removing all that land from the world. Maybe I should say that the ASB didn't only submerge the British Empire, but also prevented all the logical ecologically catastrophic effects of doing so... But that might be pushing it, even for ASB
Hey at least the USA has Greenland

bgd.png

Slowly getting progress done on a bit of an ASB timeline where the Romans were less successful in assimilating cultures within the empire, and focused more on pacifying them. Also there's magic. Europe is nearly done. However I'm not happy with some things, and I'm going to redo a large portion of the druidic states provinces.