WIP Map Thread

Also, holding this map here.

2033.png

Mhm, names probably mostly based on explorers or rulers... for Spain could work nicely some saints (Saintiago? :D) And I hope there will be space spanish inquisition

So, what's happening?
Basically, this is a map of an Allied victory world from the perspective of a victorious Axis world. It has a Francophone Community that is dominated by the Mali-Ghana Federation, the House of Bokassa sits on the throne in Paris, India has been divided between "dirty reds and Dravidians", and German has been outlawed.

Mhm, names probably mostly based on explorers or rulers... for Spain could work nicely some saints (Saintiago? :D) And I hope there will be space spanish inquisition
Hmmm. I'll work on that. Perhaps some worlds directly under the control of the Inquisition.

Working on an Avatar world map. From scratch (well, I've got a side-by-side of the actual map for reference, but every pixel is being drawn by hand). So far I've only done the Fire Nation, or, as I like to call it, the Fire Empire (I prefer to make the world more complex and 'Fire Nation' never really jived with me as a name).

upload_2018-12-15_6-38-22.png

It's small. I would have liked to have gone bigger, but truth be told I'm not very good at big maps. One of these days I'd like to try and learn to use InkScape or one of the other fancy-pants programmes and do this properly, but at the moment simple MSPaint maps will have to do. The political situation in the Fire Empire is tumultuous. This is the waning years of the Hundred Year War. Ozai is Firelord, Zuko is hunting the Avatar, and Azula is learning the ins-and-outs of court.

The middle-red represents the Imperial Territory, lands which belong to the royal family. It's basically the capital city and environs. The darker shade represents other feudal territories, ruled by the great clans. The lighter shades are merchant guild territories, a new addition to Imperial politics; basically, with the advent of Imperial naval supremacy, trade became far more global, allowing men of common birth to rise in importance. The more traditionalist noble families do not like this arrangement, but the merchants bring in money and a lot of taxes, and Ozai, despite his tyranny, is a modernist if nothing else (though these measures would have first been implemented by Azulon in his waning years).

Invisible at this distance are the darkest territories, which are directly controlled by the military. These include the Gates of Azulon (domestic forces) and the far eastern islands, including Ember Island (navy). Once I get around to doing the Earth Kingdom (more like Earth Kingdoms), we will also see the colonies, under the rule of the Viceroy (which in my alternate take would wind up being Zhao on the eve of the Siege of the North), and the occupied territories, as well as the puppet earth states.

The history here is also a little different. We're talking Tokugawa-analogues. The Empire was once a number of feuding, petty clans, who warred with each other. Firebenders occupied a unique warrior class much like the real-world samurai. The first Firelord was basically a shogun who seized the throne from a weak and ineffectual emperor (this was Sozin I), thus unifying the empire properly. At this time, the eastern isles would have been ruled by water people, who in this alternate take's history were once the masters of the seas and acted much like real-world Vikings, so Sozin I's first order of business was to create an Imperial navy and dislodge the water people from the eastern isles and replace their settlers with Imperial citizens. Ever since, the navy has ruled those islands and they come under the authority of the Governor-Admiral.

Sozin I eventually died, and was replaced by his son, Sozin II. Sozin II was every bit as militant as his father, but this was also the era of Avatar Roku, and we know how that went down. Roku's flaw here was that he was more of a traditionalist than a modernist, rigidly keeping to Imperial customs, which also meant he didn't fully accept that the Empire was unified behind the Firelord. By preventing Sozin's expansionism, Roku didn't just want to protect the world, but also the systems that had been in place in the Empire for centuries. Of course Sozin let him die, and immediately launched an offensive on the air temples (for this he would use special forces to decapitate air nomad leadership before moving the bulk of the military into place). The genocide would always be incomplete, but over the years airbending would disappear naturally, as the world was thrown out of balance regardless.

So began the Hundred Year War, which was as much about Fire Empire glory as it was about giving the feudal lords something to do besides kill each other.

In society, things are also a little different to what was presented in the show. For starters, a conservative Empire likely wouldn't give women so much equality. I know the show tried to present both genders as equal as best they could, and they did a good job with it, but here the role of women is less. Women do not rule. Thrones pass to brothers, or cousins, or uncles, before they pass to daughters. Ozai, though, is different. He sees Azula's potential, and raises her up, and this grates the other nobles, but Ozai doesn't care; as I said earlier, he's a modernist, and he does not believe in wasting potential.