WI: The Luftwaffe gets 1942-1943 performing aircraft at the start of the war

I have no cite for first-rate aero engines specifically, but I have plenty of sources for industry in general (and a few specific examples). To my knowledge their use was never completely eliminated in very high-performance devices (German or American), but their use was massively reduced without problems in Allied industry. The Germans seem to have just used the same methods and designs as usual with less alloys (at least until it was far too late), which is the wrong way to reduce strategic materials use and that caused their problems.
That’s fair enough. It would be interesting to know what the various substitutes were for high-temperature chrome-alloy steel, high-strength molybdenum steel, nickel-chrome alloys, copper-nickel alloyed aluminium and so in on demanding applications, and why these substitute materials were not kept in use after the war.

Most of the difficulty i have with this is that combat aero engines are by definition ‘very high performance devices’, and everywhere I look I see things like “Two intake and two exhaust valves per cylinder. Stellite-faced sodium-cooled nichrome-alloy valves.” for the V-1710
So just there we have nickel, cobalt, chromium and no doubt a bunch of other trace elements. Basically the same for the Merlin/V-1650, Molybdenum steel crankshaft. High-strength aluminium alloys with more copper and nickel.

I have just read an article published 1937 that talks about R-Rs use of hiduminium alloys, I would assume other manufacturers did similar. Stellite was in use during that period as well. These materials are mentioned over and over again, and they are expensive even today but I have never seen anything to indicate that these materials were taken out in favour of substitutes, even temporarily.

Also, many of these engines continued in use post-war. One would expect to see either any wartime substitutes retained (if they were equivalents or superior), or copious warnings relating to the use of wartime parts (if they were inferior), or if it was a cost issue then some mention of “the good old days” when wartime budgets allowed the use of better materials. But I have never seen any such, even though people are flying all various WW2 aircraft today and have to demonstrate they are compliant with a mountain of engine safety regulations.

That’s fair enough. It would be interesting to know what the various substitutes were for high-temperature chrome-alloy steel, high-strength molybdenum steel, nickel-chrome alloys, copper-nickel alloyed aluminium and so in on demanding applications, and why these substitute materials were not kept in use after the war.

Most of the difficulty i have with this is that combat aero engines are by definition ‘very high performance devices’, and everywhere I look I see things like “Two intake and two exhaust valves per cylinder. Stellite-faced sodium-cooled nichrome-alloy valves.” for the V-1710
So just there we have nickel, cobalt, chromium and no doubt a bunch of other trace elements. Basically the same for the Merlin/V-1650, Molybdenum steel crankshaft. High-strength aluminium alloys with more copper and nickel.

I have just read an article published 1937 that talks about R-Rs use of hiduminium alloys, I would assume other manufacturers did similar. Stellite was in use during that period as well. These materials are mentioned over and over again, and they are expensive even today but I have never seen anything to indicate that these materials were taken out in favour of substitutes, even temporarily.

Also, many of these engines continued in use post-war. One would expect to see either any wartime substitutes retained (if they were equivalents or superior), or copious warnings relating to the use of wartime parts (if they were inferior), or if it was a cost issue then some mention of “the good old days” when wartime budgets allowed the use of better materials. But I have never seen any such, even though people are flying all various WW2 aircraft today and have to demonstrate they are compliant with a mountain of engine safety regulations.
That's because for the most part, the savings weren't achieved by using substitutes for alloys where it mattered, and in many cases the substitutes weren't as good as the high-end alloys anyway. In some cases methods were found to make the substitutes as good without alloys (like good cast tank armor with only .5% nickel), but in most cases the savings came from eliminating waste, eliminating alloys from areas where they were unnecessary, or redesigning components so that they experienced less extreme conditions or were inherently stronger and thus didn't need the alloys. Though it may not appear that way, those methods continued to be used post-war. There are some examples that are not from aircraft engines but were likely applicable to them (and most likely used at least in the US if not elsewhere). First, from a presentation on the EMD 567's development:
The 567 exhaust valve was first made of 15% chrome, 15% nickel Alloy similar to the 201A valve, but it was thought that a Stellited seat face would give longer life
In 1942 the valve material was changed to a 21% chrome, 12% nickel for the head and lower stem, with a hardenable alloy steel upper stem to provide better scuff resistance in the stem and to reduce the nickel and chrome use. The 2112 also provided better seat face hardness of 25 Rockwell "C". To prevent wear at the tip of the stem a hard cap was originally used, but in 1946 the tip of the alloy steel stem was flame hardened and the cap was eliminated. These material and hardness modifications to the original design have resulted in a good service life for the valve.
(p. 43-44)
This represents an elimination of alloy from an area where it is unnecessary, as the high temperatures and wear occur only on the valve head and the alloys in the stem are largely wasted. So instead of making an entire component out of exotic alloys it was split into parts so only the components that needed to be made of such alloys were made of them (this is not always effective and sometimes can increase strategic materials use, but in this case it worked). This can also be seen in one of the sources in a previous comment, where copper bullet jackets were electroplated rather than pressed on, enabling much thinner copper jackets and considerable savings (as only the very outermost microscopic layer actually needed to be hard to engage the rifling and the inner layers were largely wasted).

The next one is on bearings:
During World War II it was necessary that we change all main bearings to solid lead bronze with lead tin coating because of material shortages on steel tubing. During the war, methods were developed to make the lead bronze bearings by casting on rolled steel strips butt welded, the split line then cut through the weld. The steel back lead bronze bearing then supplanted the solid bronze bearing which was subject to fatigue failure.
(p. 54)
This represents an elimination of steel tubing due to more efficient manufacturing methods that do not rely on steel tubing (and likely less steel in total).

The final example is on pistons:
In the early days of the war Electro- Motive was chosen to build the 184 Pancake engine. This engine had a fabricated steel piston into which was bolted two trunnion-like parts that carried the wrist pin. The piston was very symmetrical and had the advantage that the piston pin bosses were not connected into the skirt in any way. The appearance of this piston was excellent and all of the test data indicated it was a very successful design. In an attempt to copy the 184 design we ran into some basic difficulties, the principal one being that it was im- possible to bolt the trunnions into a design similar to the 184 because the piston cooling jet location was exactly where the bolt should go. A number of waste baskets were filled with drawings trying to design our way out when one day someone made the very simple suggestion, "Why not make the piston pin bosses part of the baffle and pilot it at the top and bottom and retain it with a snap ring?". Calculations indicated that the snap ring would be considerably stronger than any bolts or capscrews which could be applied. To simplify machining, another suggestion was made that the upper pilot be made round rather than using dowels or other methods of location. This meant the piston was free to rotate about the carrier and could be perfectly symmetrical so that upon expansion it would retain its original round shape.

The original design of the floating piston was fabricated steel (Fig. 22). We thought that the elimination of a casting in this vulnerable spot would be an
advantage. Because we could not analyze the stresses occuring in the crown and skirt due to thermal stresses as well as the peculiar shape of the crown, it was decided to make a cast design on which it would be easy to change the location of the load carrying members and thus develop the optimum location. On the second steel design the skirt fell off after a short time. This proved we needed the conical member from the platform into the ring belt that was incorporated in the first design.

The cast design had struts tying the platform into the ring belt based on the above experience (Fig. 23).

The first floating piston was cast in a medium grade cast iron as we wanted the weak points to show up fairly quickly. This design piston was run in a 16 cylinder engine for a considerable length of time with no failures. In fact, when asked to run some special high output tests for the U.S. Navy the engine with these floating pistons was used and run over 400 hours at 2000 B.H.P. and a total of 24 hours at 2250 HP. After this Navy test the pistons were inspected and found to be in excellent condition.
(p. 26-29)
This represents an elimination of a fabricated or cast steel section by redesigning the part to reduce the conditions on a single section (the section near the piston pin bosses), and enabling lower-strength cast iron to be used.

There are some other postwar experimental improvements to this effect, mainly the design enabling an increase in wrist piston pin area from 10 to 22 square inches and an increase in lifespan without any more exotic materials.

The final and most important method was to reduce waste in manufacturing. This was applied in particular to guns (the stamped guns and the use of hammer-forged or cold-swaged barrels, plus methods used to make the Bofors more efficiently mentioned in a source on my previous post), but it was useful in engines and exotic alloys in particular. While WWII aircraft engine results are harder to find, there are plenty of postwar sources about waste in strategic alloys, especially one 1983 source about the use of titanium in aircraft and aircraft engines:
Titanium Alloy Utilization for a Typical Modern Fan-Jet engine:
AlloyFormFinished part weight (lbs)Raw Material weight (lbs)Percent used finished/raw wt.
TiSheet142.2210.067.7
""Bar and forging27.8299.49.3
5Al-2.5SnSheet121.2256.847.2
""Bar5.364.78.2
""Forging183.62,366.47.8
6Al-4VBar and forging223.81,544.014.5
Al-1Mo-1VBar2.015.313.1
""Forging238.01,152.820.6
Total944.35,909.416.0
(p. 112)

Estimated Purchase and Fly weights of Titanium Components in Aircraft Gas Turbine Engines:
EnginePurchase Weight (lb)Fly Weight (lb)Airframe% used finished/raw wt.
J52 -P-61,300300A-4E/F/M23
J52-P-8A1,400300+A-6A/B/E21.4+
J79-8600125F-4J/M20.8
J79-15500100RF-4C/D/E20
TF30-P-64,500850A-7A18.9
TF30-P-3/84,500850F-11A/B, F-14A18.9
TF41-A-11,200285A-7D/E23.8
J584,000800YF-12A20
TF33-P-74,250637C-141A15
TF33-P-53,800565C-135B14.9
J75-P-19W4,500677F-10515
TF-398,000-9,0002,100C5A23.3-26.3
T-7615025OV-10A16.7
TF-341,200-A-10A-
J8550060F-5, T-38A12
F-100/4015,500-F-15, F-16-
J1011,400-F-18-
F1014,500-B-1-
T-64800-CH-53E-
T-701-7001,000---
JT9D12,0001,200-2,300B-74710-19.2
CFG-508,000700-1,300DC-108.75-16.3
RB-2115,500-L-1011-
GE-4-1,000B-2707 (SST)-
(p. 113)

Estimated Purchase and Fly Weights of Titanium in Airframes of Commercial Airliners:
Aircraft SystemPurchase Weight (lb)Fly Weight (lb)% used finished/raw wt.
747SP45,00012,00026.7
75735,0009,500 (not final)27.1
DC-9-30200060030
DC-8-6210,0002,42624.5
DC-10-3030,0008,10027
L-101131,60014,00044.3
(p. 114)

Mill Product Forms for the F-14 and F-15 (purchase weight):
FormEstimated amount in F-14 (lbs)FormEstimated amount in F-15 (lbs)
Forgings22,400Forgings29,150
Plate12,000Plate11,000
Sheet4,400Sheet5,200
Bar and tubing1,200Extrusions, tubing, and fasteners11,350
Total40,000Total56,700
Estimated fly weight5,190Estimated fly weight6,940
Percent of purchase weight13Percent of purchase weight12.1
(p. 115)

Estimated Purchase and Fly Weights of Titanium in Airframes of Military Airframes:
Aircraft SystemPurchase Weight (lb)Fly Weight (lb)% used finished/raw wt.
A4M1505033.3
A-6E60018530.8
A-7E280--
F-4J/M2,8001,20042.9
F-5E/F750--
A-10A2,600--
F-163,000--
F-186,000--
C-130H1,000--
B-1170,00024,80044.3
(p. 116)
In WWII and earlier, it seems that closer to 95-99% of raw materials in high-end applications ended up as waste in the production process. The reduction of this is where most of the savings in US industry occurred, and the amount of improvement possible meant that it was possible to match or exceed other nations' reductions without changing the product much. These kinds of improvements dominate the previous sources I mentioned on WWII US industry, and account for the majority of savings. This continued after the war to a small degree with things like the J65's diffuser housing being manufactured differently, and in the 1980's with a process known as Gatorizing for reducing jet engine raw materials use (from 2,000 to 785 lbs).

So there may be no noticeable difference in the final product, but the amount of material used was vastly reduced using those methods without loss of performance and there were no noticeable changes before or after the war because the parts were no different in performance.

Let's recall that Bf 109 was already a subject of major up-engining - replacement of the small and light Jumo 210 with bigger, longer, heavier and considerably more powerful DB 601. The DB 603 is from another league for 1939/40 when it is about weight and size, talk again a 50% increase of weight vs. 601. The 605 was externally about the same as the DB 601 line. A more powerful engine will also require heavier cooling system, oil system, propeller (we don't want that extra power to be frittered away, thus a larger prop), engine mounts and cowling. Greater engine power requires increase of vertical tail to cope with increase of torque effect, mostly notable at lower speeds (during take off and landing). Install bigger tank to restore the range figures that just took a hit due to greater power, drag and weight = more weight again. Wing - can it now sustain 9G at 3200-3400 kg just because it sustained it at 2500 kg? Or it will need to be reinforced like it was on P-36 during it's evolution into P-40 so our Me 603 does not disintegrate in mid-air? Maneuverability requirements, high wing loading vs. low wing loading?
Undercarriage - keep it as is to save time and money or design and manufacture new sets so they can carry the Me 603 on landings and take off? Geometry of the U/C with this increased weight?
The Bf 109G was a spin-off of the Bf 109F (that was a redesign of the Bf 109E), thus it was able to enjoy relatively relaxed development pace.

Before people say: "but Spitfire was successfully up-engined with Griffon", - yes, but Spitfire was already designed with engine as powerful, as heavy and as long as DB 601, wing was of more generous area, undercarriage was reinforced and modified during the production run, wing didn't stayed the same either, vertical tail was of greater area with latest versions. All of this took years of experience, as well as trial and error.

Yeah that's fair. Alright, not possible. Thanks for the responses and sources.

Just better planes and no overall strategic/operational/tactical change?
Nazis still lose.

Yeah, even if it was possible that's still true.

That's because for the most part, the savings weren't achieved by using substitutes for alloys where it mattered, and in many cases the substitutes weren't as good as the high-end alloys anyway. In some cases methods were found to make the substitutes as good without alloys (like good cast tank armor with only .5% nickel),
This is all good and useful information, regarding the last part since I have read elsewhere that the Nazi state was at times appallingly bad in managing material allocation and I can imagine this would extend to scrap & waste.

In particular I find your first example absolutely fascinating because it shows that for a locomotive Diesel engine, the US was using 12% nickel alloys for the valve head and upper stem. Presumably even in the middle of a war and with a desire to reduce Nickel usage as much as possible, they still weren’t able to go below that level of usage without unacceptably impacting the performance of a massive heavy well-cooled engine redlined at ~900 RPM. The Germans were (in IIRC also 1942) trying that exact same technique of steel valves faced with nickel alloy, but finding they didn’t last more than 3 hours at 2400 RPM. So the US seems to have basically the same quality of materials available for its locomotive engines that the Germans were trying to use for their top-rated fighter engines.

The other examples are also interesting because they show how things were similar but different.
Casting bearings onto steel shells was a fairly normal aero engine technique, as was the use of lead and copper, but while EMD were moving toward this, allied aero engines moved on to using a slab of pure silver in the sandwich with a final plating of indium, all in the name of better performance. The Germans meanwhile were again struggling to match the materials available to US locomotive engines since they were strictly limited in the amount of tin available.

Regarding swapping steel for iron, aluminium for steel etc this sort of thing would be feasible for some applications but in combat aero engines the general principles seem to be along the lines of:
—any component not running at 99.99% of failure limit is unacceptably over-dimensioned and must be reduced in weight for better performance
—any component that repeatedly fails must be strengthened (better design or material or as a last resort more material) to maintain performance
—any reduction in performance from unnecessary weight or component weakness will get the aircraft destroyed and the pilot killed fairly immediately
—failing to constantly improve performance will get the aircraft destroyed and the pilot killed fairly soon

Its a fairly unforgiving environment where any compromise is immediately apparent in performance, so when you do see examples of heavier or lower-performance material changes such as German ersatz items or some allied engines moving from alloy to (very high quality) steel crankcases to handle extra power, then it is mostly accompanied by a great deal of wailing and gnashing of teeth. A last resort because every such compromise means giving up a few mph or fpm that could be decisive.

This is all good and useful information, regarding the last part since I have read elsewhere that the Nazi state was at times appallingly bad in managing material allocation and I can imagine this would extend to scrap & waste.

In particular I find your first example absolutely fascinating because it shows that for a locomotive Diesel engine, the US was using 12% nickel alloys for the valve head and upper stem. Presumably even in the middle of a war and with a desire to reduce Nickel usage as much as possible, they still weren’t able to go below that level of usage without unacceptably impacting the performance of a massive heavy well-cooled engine redlined at ~900 RPM. The Germans were (in IIRC also 1942) trying that exact same technique of steel valves faced with nickel alloy, but finding they didn’t last more than 3 hours at 2400 RPM. So the US seems to have basically the same quality of materials available for its locomotive engines that the Germans were trying to use for their top-rated fighter engines.

The other examples are also interesting because they show how things were similar but different.
Casting bearings onto steel shells was a fairly normal aero engine technique, as was the use of lead and copper, but while EMD were moving toward this, allied aero engines moved on to using a slab of pure silver in the sandwich with a final plating of indium, all in the name of better performance. The Germans meanwhile were again struggling to match the materials available to US locomotive engines since they were strictly limited in the amount of tin available.

Regarding swapping steel for iron, aluminium for steel etc this sort of thing would be feasible for some applications but in combat aero engines the general principles seem to be along the lines of:
—any component not running at 99.99% of failure limit is unacceptably over-dimensioned and must be reduced in weight for better performance
—any component that repeatedly fails must be strengthened (better design or material or as a last resort more material) to maintain performance
—any reduction in performance from unnecessary weight or component weakness will get the aircraft destroyed and the pilot killed fairly immediately
—failing to constantly improve performance will get the aircraft destroyed and the pilot killed fairly soon

Its a fairly unforgiving environment where any compromise is immediately apparent in performance, so when you do see examples of heavier or lower-performance material changes such as German ersatz items or some allied engines moving from alloy to (very high quality) steel crankcases to handle extra power, then it is mostly accompanied by a great deal of wailing and gnashing of teeth. A last resort because every such compromise means giving up a few mph or fpm that could be decisive.
About nickel...
Most of the Nazi supply came from Petsamo, Finland, which was constantly under Soviet attack for the very same reason.
The transports also had to sail all the way from Finland to Germany, which took time and exposed them to attack by enemy forces.
But the worst part was when Finland switched sides in 1944 and kicked the Germans out of Finland.
There goes the nickel.

Yes, but it was only applied to the small part of the valve that experienced those stresses (and the valve faces were still Stellite), so that even with high percentages of alloy it would still use less strategic materials than engines that reduced alloy compositions uniformly across the entire valve. Likewise, the EMD engines also used silver bearings in the wrist pins, but only a small layer. If aircraft engines used an entire slab of silver most of it was wasted- like the valve face, only a tiny surface layer of the bearing depended on the good bearing properties, and the rest could be steel-backed. It seems very similar to the situation with bullet jackets where the thinnest layer that could be pressed-on was still much thicker than necessary, which was ultimately replaced by electroplating to only use as much copper as needed.

These 2 only apply in certain areas, even on combat aircraft engines. Many parts are only stressed on a small segment (as mentioned), and many parts are nowhere near their failure limit in one area but reductions in weight are not practical due to other limits (such as cooling jackets not being fully stressed but requiring a certain amount of stiffness, so alloys with lower strength and/or temperature limits wouldn't change much). Secondly, many component failures have been dealt with by redesigning the machine to reduce extreme operating conditions without affecting performance (such as improving cooling, oil supply, removing cooling water from direct contact with a stressed member, etc). This is one way to reduce strategic materials use- many non-strategic materials can handle one extreme as well as high-quality materials (extreme temperature, strength, hardness, or corrosion resistance), but usually strategic materials are required to handle multiple extremes at once. So the design can usually be optimized so that the extremes are separated across different parts, and more parts only deal with one kind of extreme (in the EMD 567C's case, dedicated coolant lines deal with corrosion while the crankcase deals only with mechanical stress). Then less strategic materials are required with no impact on performance.

The Battle of Britain would go better for the Nazis attrition rate of Bf-109 pilots would actually increase due to poorer takeoff and landing characteristics due to the more powerful engine.
In 1940 Luffwaffa was comprised of experienced pilots so the attrition rate due to accidents would not be as bad as it was later in the war

Reading this thread it does seem as if there is scope for someone with the knowledge to write a Peerless German Air Ministry TL!!
Well it's not hard to make a German Air Ministry that looks peerless compared to OTL- as long as the Nazis don't come to power and the leadership isn't insane.