WI: No Harry Potter movies, but a TV series franchise in the 2000s

Sort of like how Dragon Ball Z overtook the source material while the manga was being written, witth filler arcs in the 1990s and 2000s anime?

I don't think ther'd be filler arcs, but probably stretch out interactions more or perhaps make some episodes focus on the side characters. Wouldn't require much input from Rowling outside of general approval of their characterization and keeping in mind that it is set in England of the 1990s.

What studio would buy the rights to the show?
It'd be costly for someone like CTV or Global in Canada to buy them, but Harry Potter as an international co-production, airing on BBC or ITV in the UK and CTV or Global in Canada?

But wouldn't it be too expensive for them?

Of the production companies pooled their money together, then I think they could do it.
Given the scale required, at this time in TV history, as I posted earlier you would probably need a 4 way (UK, USA, Aus, NZ) coproduction or a massive sale of broadcast rights around the world.
I did alot of research for this bit in my half done TL, and while TV budgets are at best opaque, I reckon it is 3 way at the minimum.

Alternatively and there is *alot* of butterflies required, but I charted a sort of path, you could have it be co-financed by a British production company like Goldcrest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldcrest_Films), like Robin of Sherwood.

Given the scale required, at this time in TV history, as I posted earlier you would probably need a 4 way (UK, USA, Aus, NZ) coproduction or a massive sale of broadcast rights around the world.
I did alot of research for this bit in my half done TL, and while TV budgets are at best opaque, I reckon it is 3 way at the minimum.

Alternatively and there is *alot* of butterflies required, but I charted a sort of path, you could have it be co-financed by a British production company like Goldcrest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldcrest_Films), like Robin of Sherwood.
I could get behind a multi-country production. You could get a lot of visionaries from each country who could really do something to the show.

I think it might be easier to bump the POD back a few years, before Pottermania really had a chance to start, maybe with the release of the first or second book. That way, if someone at say BBC was interested they could negotiate with a Rowling who didn't have the massive and growing impact of the series behind her.

Here's an old thread that had a few interesting ideas: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/harry-potter-and-the-small-screen.254463/
Kinda what I've been trying to say. If WB gets Superman out of development hell by 98 they might be less interested in Harry Potter. Plus there's the rest of DC Comics to work with. Still means Universal or Paramount might make an offer, but a popular but new/untried series with only two instalments isn't a sure bet. A BBC co-production with, say, the CBC and an Irish studio is a safe option.
Thinking about it, the Harry Potter movies came out with little competition in its target demographic other than the Star Wars prequels. And even then, really only Phantom Menace would qualify as "family friendly".

I think that a network that the Harry Potter show would end up on would be HBO. They had just spent 191 million dollars on Band Of Brothers which had been a huge success so I think they would be open to the idea of the Harry Potter series as a TV show.

A fuzzy 480p PAL format series filmed with BBC millennial CGI with the most exotic location being Vancouver? By Jimbo, it'd be glorious.
I don't think there's a 'Vancouver' in the UK. And I think J.K. Rowling insisted the original timeline films be shot in the UK as much as possible. (I guess she didn't want to have the bother of overseas travel to be on set if her presence was necessary.)