WI Ireland took advantage of the Falklands War to launch a sneak attack on Britain and liberate Ulster?

Obviously, I still feel a full scale. Invasion is a little too much, however a Tet like attack, hitting many major British military installations over a course of couple of days in the realm of possibility without it being ASB
But why would they do that, what's the plan behind it?

Without going into the differences between the actual Tet offensive and what ever this would be (and there are a lot), The Tet offensive happened as part of an ongoing conflict and with goals that fitted in with that, that context doesn't exist here.

Last edited:
I think that any possible attack on United Kingdom by ROI is ASB. Last time ROI had people fought in a war was Irish Civil War. By 1981, the veterans of that war would be either dead or too old to fight another war.
I'm going to disagree there, the last war imo would have been the Congo mission with over 6000 Irish serving there in the 4 years and heavy fighting. I mean still totally outclassed by the British Army, but more recent than the Civil War

I mean in the 1940/41 period you have this insane position of both sides trying to both agree on joint defence matters, and also expecting the other side to attack, which made for some interesting discussions. But yeah, in reality its pretty much the same state, a badly equipped, hopeless outnumbered Irish force against a Superpower that's going to be "unhappy"...
The only outcome there is Churchill getting the Ports back, and a lot of dead Irish people.
OMG if you think the British will be smug in the aftermath if the 1981 version, can you imagine how smug Churchill would be in 1941!

The point being that in terms of "neutral European nations" we tend to be an outlier, mainly due to the fact for most of the time the economy just simply couldn't afford anything, nowadays its just the insane kneejerk aversion/nonsense to defence matters.
If I may venture a thought, that reaction is also due to the fact that the last time you had an army dedicated to defending Ireland from foreign invaders was 1172.
That's unique in Europe, that you don't have any military tradition at all in a thousand years. Even the Irish Civil War wasn't really a big modern war, but more of an insurrection. Nothing comparable to WWI, or 1870... War was only experienced through the British Empire
I mean in the 1940/41 period you have this insane position of both sides trying to both agree on joint defence matters, and also expecting the other side to attack, which made for some interesting discussions. But yeah, in reality its pretty much the same state, a badly equipped, hopeless outnumbered Irish force against a Superpower that's going to be "unhappy"...
The only outcome there is Churchill getting the Ports back, and a lot of dead Irish people.
Didn't the IRA get weapons from the Nazis during the war?

I'm going to disagree there, the last war imo would have been the Congo mission with over 6000 Irish serving there in the 4 years and heavy fighting. I mean still totally outclassed by the British Army, but more recent than the Civil War
That one took placed in 1999, which is after the Falklands War. But I understand what you meant, so I stand corrected.

Given his attitude towards Dev and Ireland, not sure "smug" is the right word?
Nah he'll see this as proving him right about the Irish/Ireland etc, etc

Don't get me wrong he'll be angry and there will be blood as well

If I may venture a thought, that reaction is also due to the fact that the last time you had an army dedicated to defending Ireland from foreign invaders was 1172.
That's unique in Europe, that you don't have any military tradition at all in a thousand years. Even the Irish Civil War wasn't really a big modern war, but more of an insurrection. Nothing comparable to WWI, or 1870... War was only experienced through the British Empire

Didn't the IRA get weapons from the Nazis during the war?
I think theres a lot of factors, from the fallout of the Civil War, the conflicting position of London on the question, through to just sheer modern nonsense about "NATO/EU Conscription", I mean you only have to look at some of the stunts and stupidity on display during the recent session on Irish foreign/defence policy...

As for the IRA, off the top of my head not much. The active IRA was pretty heavily suppressed by Dev's government fearing the UK would use it as an excuse.

Have I mentioned that Ireland has an insane position on defence, thats not a modern creation, its always been there. Ireland in WW2 wasn't capable of anything anymore than Ireland of 1980s was (or Ireland of 2024 either)
Oh to be clear I don't think there was ever a good time for Ireland to invade and "liberate" Northern Ireland - just that if the UK being distracted was enough of a reason to do it - well, they've been far more distracted than in 1982.

Oh to be clear I don't think there was ever a good time for Ireland to invade and "liberate" Northern Ireland - just that if the UK being distracted was enough of a reason to do it - well, they've been far more distracted than in 1982.
United Kingdom actually had more soldiers within the home islands during WWII than during 1980's; it would be impossible to not react if they was to be attacked by Ireland, ROI or IRA. Moreover, ROI, during WWII, didn't want the war at all. That was the reason why its government hit IRA down hard because they knew that IRA would start the unwanted war with the United Kingdom.

United Kingdom actually had more soldiers within the home islands during WWII than during 1980's; it would be impossible to not react if they was to be attacked by Ireland, ROI or IRA. Moreover, ROI, during WWII, didn't want the war at all. That was the reason why its government hit IRA down hard because they knew that IRA would start the unwanted war with the United Kingdom.
The ROI didn't want a war in 1982 either. Again, there was never a good time for Ireland to invade Northern Ireland, my point is that the UK "being distracted" doesn't change this.

The ROI didn't want a war in 1982 either. Again, there was never a good time for Ireland to invade Northern Ireland, my point is that the UK "being distracted" doesn't change this.
That's my point. ROI do not want the war with United Kingdom, ever. United Kingdom's military far outnumbers ROI's military. It would be foolish and stupid affair for ROI if they were to do that.

In Ferriter's The Transformation of Ireland, he mentions the PM or some similar person in the Stormont regime getting a state visit to Dublin, while the leader of the north's Nationalist Party has his request to be "lunched" in the same style rejected, and is forced to be satisfied with "the humble of leg of lamb."

Maybe this snub was mandated by diplomatic protocol - or maybe it was an unnecessary two-fingers to our sundered brethren and sistren.
Truly unclear why the Irish government would court the most moderate Unionist leader since partition and not his mortal enemies who already want reunification.

I think that any possible attack on United Kingdom by ROI is ASB. Last time ROI had people fought in a war was Irish Civil War. By 1981, the veterans of that war would be either dead or too old to fight another war.
FWIW there were more casualties in that civil war than in the independence actions.

And one of them later served in the British army with me. Wouldn’t talk about his time in the Congo.

I know it might be bad form to be parasitically piggybacking off of a premise, but what if the reason the Irish are willing to even entertain the notion of attacking is because the U.K. is just completely distracted because Guatemala invades Belizes and/or Venezuela invades Guyana, leading to everyone deciding it's open season on the British vestigial empire. Who else would've been interested in taking a shot?
At that point, no one would be really even entertaining it when there's other, more important things to take care of. So nobody in the Irish government would be willing to give it a shot. regardless of whether or not the neighbors are distracted.