WI:Francis I takes Mary Tudor as his second wife?

As I remember, Dowager Queens of France whose children don't succeed have less power, if Mary Tudor marries Francis I, I think that would be more palatable for Henry VIII because Mary Tudor would most likely end up in the nunnery or end up neglected and she might marry Antoine de Bourbon who is next in line after any children of Francis I but she will not have any support from France for her claims.

Last edited:
Well, you need to secify which Mary your referring to:
If it's the OTL duchess of Suffolk, François toyed with the idea shortly after his father-in-law's death; however Claude didn't die in childbed as expected, so François encouraged her to marry Brandon to prevent Henry marrying her off elsewhere.

As to the younger OTL Mary I, there were plans to marry her either to the dauphin or the duc d'Orléans after Pavia, and the French offered the French king too. Wolsey pulled the treaty off without a wedding necessary. However, Mary was barely out of single digits when this proposal came, and even if Henry DID agree its a long way from bended knee to altar steps.

Well, you need to secify which Mary your referring to:
If it's the OTL duchess of Suffolk, François toyed with the idea shortly after his father-in-law's death; however Claude didn't die in childbed as expected, so François encouraged her to marry Brandon to prevent Henry marrying her off elsewhere.

As to the younger OTL Mary I, there were plans to marry her either to the dauphin or the duc d'Orléans after Pavia, and the French offered the French king too. Wolsey pulled the treaty off without a wedding necessary. However, Mary was barely out of single digits when this proposal came, and even if Henry DID agree its a long way from bended knee to altar steps.

I am actually, referring to the OTL Mary I, marrying her to an aging monarch will make her kids less powerful and less of a threat to the throne - that is if the sons of Claude have male issue, the problem is if the sons of Claude remained heirless on the male line, they might claim England down the line, a younger sister of Mary who died in OTL in 1518, marrying the son of Francis I can solve this, this daughter will keep Mary in line and probably give birth to lots of children making Mary and her children powerless.