WI: Empress Sisi gives birth to a second son?

Franz Josef and Elizabeth of Bavaria ("Sisi") were happy at first, but ended with a rather strained marriage. They had three children in quick succession: The Archduchess Sophie (1855, died young), Archduchess Gisela (1856) Crownprinz Rudolf (1858) and finally Marie-Valerie (1868).

Their last child was conceived during a brief conciliation following the 1867 compromise when Franz Josef was formally crowned King of Hungary and Elizabeth, Queen. Supposedly they briefly made up and their last daughter was conceived. Prior to this, ill health had forced Sisi to take cures abroad, not to mention she loathed Vienna. Eventually, however, her sole son and the heir to the empire killed himself and Franz Ferdinand became heir to the throne.

Now. what if Empress Elizabeth, during his brief reconciliation with Franz Josef gives birth to a son? There was some uproar regarding the possible birth of a son, as she wished to name him Stephen, after the Patron Saint of Hungary. Whatever his name, this would give Franz Josef a "spare" and assuming minimal butterflies, would find himself Cronprinz following Mayerling. The large differences is that, with her last child, Elizabeth raised her. Her first three children were taken from her and raised by the Archduchess Sophie, their daughter.

So, what happens if Elizabeth gives birth to Archduke Stephen (or whatever name you want) in 1868, how does this change things? I know it may/could have effects on Mayerling, but given it's just a birth I'm not sure if butterflies would effect it too badly. One thing the Austrians feared out of a second son was the possibility he may be the next King of Hungary and separate the dual monarchy.

Franz Josef and Elizabeth of Bavaria ("Sisi") were happy at first, but ended with a rather strained marriage. They had three children in quick succession: The Archduchess Sophie (1855, died young), Archduchess Gisela (1856) Crownprinz Rudolf (1858) and finally Marie-Valerie (1868).

Their last child was conceived during a brief conciliation following the 1867 compromise when Franz Josef was formally crowned King of Hungary and Elizabeth, Queen. Supposedly they briefly made up and their last daughter was conceived. Prior to this, ill health had forced Sisi to take cures abroad, not to mention she loathed Vienna. Eventually, however, her sole son and the heir to the empire killed himself and Franz Ferdinand became heir to the throne.

Now. what if Empress Elizabeth, during his brief reconciliation with Franz Josef gives birth to a son? There was some uproar regarding the possible birth of a son, as she wished to name him Stephen, after the Patron Saint of Hungary. Whatever his name, this would give Franz Josef a "spare" and assuming minimal butterflies, would find himself Cronprinz following Mayerling. The large differences is that, with her last child, Elizabeth raised her. Her first three children were taken from her and raised by the Archduchess Sophie, their daughter.

So, what happens if Elizabeth gives birth to Archduke Stephen (or whatever name you want) in 1868, how does this change things? I know it may/could have effects on Mayerling, but given it's just a birth I'm not sure if butterflies would effect it too badly. One thing the Austrians feared out of a second son was the possibility he may be the next King of Hungary and separate the dual monarchy.

Well in OTL Sisi favored Hungary the most out of all parts of the empire, so we could see an Emperor that favors hungary over the german parts of the empire. Also, with a second son, maybe Sisi won't abandon Vienna and Austria after Crown Prince Rudolf's suicide/murder, depending on which idea you subscribe to. So Sisi might, just might might you, live longer. Hell with a direct heir to the empire, WWI might be butterflied away, given the fact that Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassination caused WWI in the first place.

Well in OTL Sisi favored Hungary the most out of all parts of the empire, so we could see an Emperor that favors hungary over the german parts of the empire. Also, with a second son, maybe Sisi won't abandon Vienna and Austria after Crown Prince Rudolf's suicide/murder, depending on which idea you subscribe to. So Sisi might, just might might you, live longer. Hell with a direct heir to the empire, WWI might be butterflied away, given the fact that Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassination caused WWI in the first place.

Indeed, it's quite possible. I wonder though, if she'd have as much control over his education as she did with Valerie. Valerie, after all, was a girl. Of course, as a spare she may be allowed to educate him, but it'd probably be a much more thorough. Even if she dotes on him, he may feel suffocated: Marie-Valerie felt very suffocated about how her mother coddled her and actually developed an antipathy towards anything to do with Hungary.

So assuming we still get Mayerling (which I think we will; a change in sex of a child is a small butterfly), this new Cronprinz may have a better relationship with his father. He might actually end up being more hardline with the Hungarians. I know with each successive renewal of the '67 Compromise, the Hungarians often pushed for more. Emperor Stephen, once crowned, may attempt to quash their growing influence. He could ofc grow to love Hungary, but if raised by his mother, he could develop much as his OTL sister and grow to loathe it.