WI: Clinton killed in 1994?

Gan

Banned
What if this plot succeeds? The President and his family are home, and the plane manages to crash into the White House, killing them.

What would be the immediate response to this? How would the nation react?

How would this impact the nation in the long-run? How do you see this affecting American culture? What about American politics? What events will be changed?

How will this affect the elections in 1996 and 2000? What will be the outcomes this time?

Looking even earlier than '96, The GOP wave in the upcoming midterms is probably going to be greatly reduced, which will lead to big butterflies.

Gore will probably run and win in '96. I don't see Dole pulling off victory. This leaves Gore ineligible in 2000.

I'm guessing Gore wins in 1996. What happens in 2000 depends on how Gore does as President, but Gore can't run again.

In 2000, the economy was good and ITTL there is no scandal. So the Democrat is in good shape. I don't know who the nominee would be. I don't know who Gore would choose as Vice Presdient ITTL. OTL Lieberman attracted Gore's attention with a speech he made during the impeachment debate.

We'll probably see something done about domestic terrorism. Maybe some sort of a domestic version of the Patriot Act.

Even if Clinton had been home, and the aircraft had actually struck the White House, I'm not so sure a plane as small and light as a Cessna 150 would have done much.

Hmm....

November 1994: The midterm elections TTL are much closer than OTL. I lean toward the Democrats making slim gains out of sympathy for Clinton. The GOP could also make modest gains as well given how badly Clinton governed overall in those first two years, how the south officially aligned to the GOP, and given how much money the NRA gave to the GOP that year. Best case scenario, they get a slim majority in the senate, but still fail to take back the house.

November 1996: Thanks to a thriving economy, stability abroad and House Minority leader Newt Gingrich's attempt to shut the government down, President Gore and Vice President John Kerry defeat Republican Senator Bob Dole and running mate Jack Kemp, and Businessman Ross Perot and his running mate Pat Choate decisively:

Gore/Kerry (Democratic): 416 EV 53.4% PV
Dole/Kemp (Republican): 122 EV 37.5% PV
Perot/Choate (Reform): 0 EV, 8.4% PV

genusmap.php

1997-1999: Winning with a mandate, President Gore passes environmental legislation to reduce CO2 emissions and cleaning our air and water. He also signed the State Children's Health insurance Program, sponsored by Senators Kennedy and Hatch, into law in August of 1997.

in August of 1998, Osama Bin Laden, who was responsible for the bombing of U.S. embassies in east Africa earlier that year, was killed in a cruise missile strike on terrorist targets in Afghanistan.

In the mid term elections of 1998, as is the case with the party controlling the White house in it's 6th year, Republicans made gains in both houses of congress, taking a very slim majority in the senate, but failing to take the majority in the house.

In December, President Gore launched a four day bombing campaign in Iraq. Two months prior he signed the "Iraqi Liberation act," instituting a policy of regime change. However, the US was not to intervene directly to bring it about. In 1999, the U.S. and NATO, in order to stop ethnic cleansing of Albanians in Kosovo, launched a bombing campaign that ended in June of that year.

Later in 1999, Gore signed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which repealed the Glass Steagall Act of 1933.

2000: The Democrats nominated Vice President John Kerry as their nominee for President. He faced very little opposition for it. He picked Speaker of the House Dick Gephardt to be his running mate. On the Republican side, Texas Governor George W. Bush won the GOP nomination and chose former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney to be his running mate. Despite the fact that the stock market crashed in March and the economy started to slow down, unemployment was at a 30 year low and the Budget was balanced. This and the fact that things stayed stable abroad and President Gore had an approval rating of 60% on election day gave Vice President Kerry a victory over Governor Bush:

Kerry/Gephardt (Democratic): 343 EV, 52.4% PV
Bush/ Cheney (Republican): 195 EV, 45.9% PV

genusmap.php

I wonder how likely 9/11 would be in this timeline?

Not as likely, at least in my opinion. Gore was more hawkish than Clinton, top that off with the fact that the GOP can't accuse Gore of wagging the Dog when he tries to do something about Bin Laden like they did Clinton OTL.