WI: Anglo-Algonquian Nation

OK, here's the bare outline of a possible timeline where a substantial mixed European-Native American civilization develops.

John Cabot made a trip across the north Atlantic with funding from English merchants in 1497, and explored the coast of Newfoundland. On a second voyage a couple of years later, his ships disappeared - presumably they got wrecked or sunk somewhere and everyone was killed.

Here's the POD - Cabot survived his second voyage, and makes a 3rd one as well - and discovers the St Lawrence river on his third expedition. At first, this doesn't change much - none of his voyages revealed any signs of gold or rich cities, and the fact that the St Lawrence is fresh water shows that it can't be a direct passage to the Pacific or Asia. Everyone loses interest in this part of N America for a while - except for the native Indian nations, who are unfortuntely hit with a smallpox epidemic inadvertently brought by one of Cabot's crewmen.

In England, Henry VIII separates the Church of England from Rome, marries a new wife, shuts down and plunders the monasteries, and faces a rebellion of Catholics in northern England called the "Pilgrimage of Grace". This revolt fails, and some of its supporters have to flee England. However, one of the aristocrats who had been active in the Pilgrimage of Grace has a different idea - he wants to take English Catholics and found a new colony - "Mary's Land" - in the St Lawrence River valley, which according to Cabot and a couple of other explorers is good, fertile farmland with a mild climate (at least in the summer). This man manages to pull together a few hundred Catholics, mainly from the Lancashire region of England, including aristocrats, priests and monks, peasant tenants and their families, and a few craftsmen. The sail across the Atlantic, go up the St Lawrence, and establish the colony of "New Albion" where OTL's Montreal was established.

Unfortunately, the colonists are NOT prepared for the harsh winter, and face hostile natives who remember that earlier white visitors brought deadly disease. Different factions of the colony squabble, there is fighting against the Indians and among themselves, and hunger leading to starvation. The colony falls apart, and some of the colonists, including craftsmen and farmers, end up being essentially adopted into local Algonquian speaking tribes to replace men and women lost to smallpox.

For the rest of the 16th century, little is known in Europe about the fate of these colonists. Then, at the beginning of the 17th century, a French explorer (either Champlain or a close analogue), enters the St Lawrence and is quite suprised to find towns and villages upriver where the people work metal, have incorporated some European features into their houses, have English words mixed in with their Algonquian speech, and have religious beliefs that clearly incorporate elements of Catholicism. By this point, there are several thousand people in this "Anglo-Algonquian" civilization.

In the old forum I posted a thread with a similar idea.

Plagiarist! (Just kidding, I suppose that it shows that great minds often think alike! :D )

This could definitely make a substancial difference to early European colonization of this part of North America. It might make it much more difficult for the French to settle parts of the St Lawrence valley - people with metal tools and probably some greater resistance to smallpox settled in farming communities are going to be a much bigger obstacle than thinly spread, semi-nomadic people. On the other hand, they could become valuable allies for the French against the Iroquois and the English and Dutch Protestants settling to the south.

and how would this affect europe culturally? i remember in the people's history of the united states, by i forgot who but i shoudl remember, the author said that many europeans, stifled by the repressive european environment, flocked to native american tribes because of the personal freedoms allowed. would europeans be more accepting of white indians or conversly more against them?

cow defender said:
and how would this affect europe culturally? i remember in the people's history of the united states, by i forgot who but i shoudl remember, the author said that many europeans, stifled by the repressive european environment, flocked to native american tribes because of the personal freedoms allowed. would europeans be more accepting of white indians or conversly more against them?

I seriously doubt that It would change the Relationship between the European Colonies and the Amerindians.

Would the English bring the Horse, and Gunpowder on Cabot's Third Voyage...The Algonquians could be able to defeat and assimalte their Iroquis enemies(Possibly...Slowly but sureley become and Democratic Nation). The Anglo-Algonquians might probably find allies with the french against the British(Which may never gain holdings there)..

The Anglo-Algonquians could be as powerful as the Aztecs and the Tawantinsuya but in North America. I would love to see some one come up with an Timeline for this.

cow defender said:

The writer is Howard Zinn.

Matt Quinn said:
The writer is Howard Zinn.

haha! this is so old but its good to bump, i know who it is now, but i think i was drunk when i wrote that message...but i DID just get home from the bar. great book

How much Territory do you think these Horse Riding, Gun Wielding, Quasi-Catholic Algonquians might Control? Would contact with other Native American Tribes of the West develop? Could they tap into they Gold, and Iron mines of the Southeast?