Why do you think there is more interest in the Tudors than the Stuarts among the general public?

These folk-linguistic explanations are unsupported by the evidence; loss of historical /r/ ("non-rhoticity") would have been a proscribed, lower-class feature in the early Hanoverian period; it is entered the London standard around 1800, though poets such as Keats were still chastised for relying upon it in rhyme, and became predominant in the last quarter of the 19th century. We hardly need to appeal to German influence to explain it; loss of /r/ at the end of syllables is a natural and widely-attested sound change found in e.g. varieties of Malay, originating from the inevitable cross-linguistic tendency to produce it weakly (i.e. as a tap [ɾ] or a approximant [ɹ~ɻ~ɹ̤]).
The pronunciation of either with the "PRICE vowel" (i.e. ME /iː/) first appears in standard speech the early 1700s and has no clear Middle English antecedent, meaning that your Hanoverian origin theory actually looks superficially plausible. But according to E. J. Dobson, one of the chief authorities on the pronunciation of Early Modern English (English Pronunciation 1500-1700 (1968), vol. II, § 129, p. 648) it is "clear that Standard English adopted it from the 'Eastern Dialect'" (i.e. the dialects of East Anglia); this is hardly compatible with the elevated origin you propose.
and sounds way too much like the discredited urban legend of Castilian dental fricatives.

really? the flashiness of James I's court led directly to the problems that Charles I experienced.
I meant more on a Historiographical level.

The roots of Charles I's troubles can definitely be found in James I & VI's reign and I'd agree with all the arguments you mentionned. But people taking a mundane (i.e. not Historical or Academic Research) interest in Charles I's reign generally don't look his father up. They just look at the life of the king who got beheaded and basically think "damn, so many mistakes..." while not looking at the context in which he came to power.

As far as it goes, James I & VI isn't really high on the list of most-studied British monarchs and he doesn't captivate the heart of the masses. Few litterary works were done centered around the man himself, or if they did they have fallen out of favor. James also happen to be surrounded by monarchs that feel far more interesting, between the Tudors that preceeded him and his son and grandsons that had to deal with Parliamentary opposition and/or a Religious crisis. Hell, even the most important historical moment of James' reign, the Gunpowder plot, is less about him and more about Guy Fawkes and his co-conspirators when it gets mentionned.

That's what I meant when I say James I & VI lacks "flashiness". It's not that there isn't anything flashy, colorful or interesting about the man (because there is if you do a deep dive), but it's just that he doesn't feel as if he did anything noteworthy to be remembered or draw attention. He's kinda just one of those monarchs that is in the list but nobody really talks about.

really? the flashiness of James I's court led directly to the problems that Charles I experienced. The financial situation, the distrust of royal favourites (looking at you, George Villiers), the fights with parliament. They were all problems that had been bubbling under the surface during the reign of the so-called Wisest Fool in Christendom. Had James died earlier (either in 1615- when a riding accident nearly finished him off- or 1622- when he had a bladder infection that nearly killed him IIRC), Charles' reign could've potentially looked very different. As for Charles being a political incompetent, when the riding accident left James "disabled" from acting, a fifteen-year-old with relatively no experience (James didn't really bother educating Charles for fear of the problems he'd had with Henry Frederick repeating) and no political allies (again, James wouldn't even let the boy have his own household) at court, managed to keep the country running smoothly. Did dad thank him after this? Maybe make sure he got some decent education? Nah...daddy hooked up with Villiers again (who Charles hated*).

*Charles only made friends with Buckie because he wanted to win his dad's approval. Likewise, Charles - due to the lack of political experience and mistrust of his own judgment- followed the instructions his dad had left him far too closely in the reign up to the Personal Rule. And the Personal Rule was pretty popular. The only people to bitch about it was parliament.

without forgetting that some of the problems that we think are original to the reign of James I were in reality inherited directly from the last years of Elizabethan government, in particular the increasingly frequent frictions with parliament over funding for the crown, the growing Puritan movement that becomes further radicalized, the "cold" war with Spain and to conclude the problem of the "papist" recusants who, in response to the terrifying state persecutions against them, begin to radicalize and organize increasingly extreme political responses ( without forgetting the state of war perennial in Ireland )

I otherwise agree with Kellan's analysis, Charles made various political mistakes, but the situation would have gotten out of hand even for a more competent sovereign, because England at the time was a bomb ready to explode, given that the whole he political establishment was tremendously radicalized and extremely millenarian, if we add to this the underground religious conflict ( between the various Protestant currents fighting for power ) and the political climate of the continent, we find ourselves dealing with a tremendous mix, very difficult to deal with, especially for Charles, who from a religious point of view was a faithful Protestant ( high church ) but very willing to compromise with other confessional minorities ( just look at his negotiations with the Irish, which were having good results )

Last edited:
@Domz I don't think Henry VIII belongs on your list of competent rulers as he bankrupted the treasury his father left him, lost all his wars and was basically fooled in all of the treaties he signed.
Henry VIII was A below mediocrity king who is only remembered for three things: his inability to produce a male heir, his marital/extramarital affairs and his break with the church, And if it weren't for the last one (breaking with the church) he would be Only remembered as a terrible monarch both in terms of competence and as a person.

And if it weren't for the last one (breaking with the church) he would be Only remembered as a terrible monarch both in terms of competence and as a person.
Honestly even then he’d probably be at worst C Tier compared to somebody like King John in terms of governing and compared to IDK, Edward “Oh my son died while I was on crusade. Oh well I’ll just make another one” Plantagent his particular brand of douchebaggery would probably be a blip on the radar of anyone(Aside from some ineffective campaigning in France what the hell did he even do in his early reign that was all that memorable let alone terrible? Well besides letting Wolsely do everything.). I do agree that if not for his break with the Church he would be remembered as a pretty forgettable and mid tier monarch at best and vastly overshadowed historiographically by even people like Edward II(Whose reign is somewhat underrated considering the impact it had in Englands monarchy developing the way it did) let alone dear old Dad.

Last edited: