Which US election could have most legitimate candidates (with reasonable POD)

Which election could provide longest conventions/most candidates?

• 1852 (Whigs almost dead, Dems really deadlocked)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 1868 (Seymour didn't want it; maybe only in Democrats, though))

• 1872 (if Grant and/or Greeley die)

• 1876 (Election corrupt as it was)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1884 (Both men had scandals)

• 1912 (Republicans already split, Wilson almost withdrew)

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • 1920 (Both long, Wilson could be considered & bow out)

• 1924 (Democrats already part of the way there)

• 1968 (Just becuase it's 1968)

• Other

• Total voters
I posted a challenge in the post-1900 forum asking if anyone could envision a scenario where a party convention goes even longer than the 1924 one (103 ballots and a month long), going right up till election day. Someone said no, but they could think of 2-3 possible pre-1900 ones.

So, I chose to post this in pre-1900, as that is more likely. I added a few post-1900 ones, too.

I have 1860 on here, but I'm really looking to see if there's one great. The Democrats had all the Southerners walk out then, but they still kept their heads together and reconvened in fairly reasonable time, and the Republicans really didn't have that tough of a fight. 1920 would actually be clearly possible to be worse, with a few things going right, as both parties took a while.

However, when I mention 1860, I am talking that type. If 1924 goes on too much longer, say another 2-3 weeks, the Democrats would probably have had to run at least 2 candidates, maybe more. So, what I'm looking for is the one where you could possibly have 5 or more cnaidates running in every state, with a convention problably (though not necessarily) longer than that marathon Democratic Convention of 1924.

Anyone's welcome to try a TL off of one, also, it could be interesting, though hard to imagine more chaos than that Gumbo one has had. It'd be interesting, though, to see the top three with maybe 70-80 EV each, if it could be made tht bad.

Or, worse - the Constitution says "top 3 for President, and 2 for VP...but, if there's 4-5 tied for 3rd for President, wouldn't they all be in the House vote, and those tied for 2nd in the senate vote? I don't think I've ever seen a TL like that.

Last edited: