When the Wind Blew: a P&S Open Thread

Good morning, everyone.

I was there lurking for almost two years (I once discovered this forum while chewing through TV Tropes pages) and, ofc, this timeline instantly mesmerized me with it's sheer readability and vivid psychological portraits.

I also see you still doesn't have any Eastern Europe- or USSR-related branch of this TL. So I'm planning to write a bit about Gorkiy city (now Nizhny Novgorod) and it's backwater classified little town of Arzamas-16 (now Sarov). Both places were (and, nominally, still are) farced with a lot of military-complex and scientific industries, so, their fate is sealed. But there still would be some relatively safe patches of countryside in Gorkiy province... so maybe not every of my characters will end in ashes.

I can remember my father speaking with me in my childhood, while we were walking along the NITEL (Nizhegorodsky Televisionny Zavod, Nizhny Novgorod Telemechanic Industry) fence: 'So it goes, son, I'm working on the aircraft factory, your aunt are working here, and surely she is making not so many TVs, but radar stations, we do have one of the biggest auto plants in our city... And if the world will one day go nuclear, you can be a bit proud about the fact there is 5 or 10 warheads targeted on our city'.

Other part of my family worked in the Arzamas-16 and was related to the nuclear weapons development process. So we all were surely doomed in this TL and I think this thoughts were especially depressing sometimes.

Title of TL: So nearby yet so distant.

Brief Description: Daily life of two towns, populated (eight in the top 10 of Soviet cities) Gorkiy and peaceful yet purposeful Arzamas-16 during transition to war and brief war period of 'Protect and Survive' TL.

photo_0270.jpg

Good morning, everyone.

I was there lurking for almost two years (I once discovered this forum while chewing through TV Tropes pages) and, ofc, this timeline instantly mesmerized me with it's sheer readability and vivid psychological portraits.

I also see you still doesn't have any Eastern Europe- or USSR-related branch of this TL. So I'm planning to write a bit about Gorkiy city (now Nizhny Novgorod) and it's backwater classified little town of Arzamas-16 (now Sarov). Both places were (and, nominally, still are) farced with a lot of military-complex and scientific industries, so, their fate is sealed. But there still would be some relatively safe patches of countryside in Gorkiy province... so maybe not every of my characters will end in ashes.

I can remember my father speaking with me in my childhood, while we were walking along the NITEL (Nizhegorodsky Televisionny Zavod, Nizhny Novgorod Telemechanic Industry) fence: 'So it goes, son, I'm working on the aircraft factory, your aunt are working here, and surely she is making not so many TVs, but radar stations, we do have one of the biggest auto plants in our city... And if the world will one day go nuclear, you can be a bit proud about the fact there is 5 or 10 warheads targeted on our city'.

Other part of my family worked in the Arzamas-16 and was related to the nuclear weapons development process. So we all were surely doomed in this TL and I think this thoughts were especially depressing sometimes.

Brief Description: Daily life of two towns, populated (eight in the top 10 of Soviet cities) Gorkiy and peaceful yet purposeful Arzamas-16 during transition to war and brief war period of 'Protect and Survive' TL.
Looking forward to it! Don't forget to drop the link here when it's ready.

View attachment 334625

I would be very interested in reading this, as we really don't have much written from the perspective of the Soviet Union. It would be a great contribution to our little universe.

Alas, I would think both Gorkiy and Arzamas-16 would be heavily targeted by USAF ICBM's in the P&S scenario. As such, both cities would effectively cease to exist on that fateful day of February 21, 1984. As such, there may be very few survivors left. :frown:

Alas, I would think both Gorkiy and Arzamas-16 would be heavily targeted by USAF ICBM's in the P&S scenario. As such, both cities would effectively cease to exist on that fateful day of February 21, 1984. As such, there may be very few survivors left. :frown:

It seems the proposed timeline will stop with the arrival of the bombs...

Brief Description: Daily life of two towns, populated (eight in the top 10 of Soviet cities) Gorkiy and peaceful yet purposeful Arzamas-16 during transition to war and brief war period of 'Protect and Survive' TL.[\quote]

View attachment 334625

Going to chip in and say that I love this idea, we really do lack for perspectives from behind the Iron Curtain in the P&Sverse. You've got a definite reader in me.

No doubt it will happen. Gorkiy is just such a military and scientific hub. I doubt absenteeism will be rife in soviet cities: most common people were, if I remember correctly, virtually sure that MAD doctrine and Soviet Strategic Missile Forces will effectively prevent any American thought about all-in blow. And surely no one could imagine that peacekeeping Soviet military will strike first. :angel: I cannot remember conventional strikes deep within Soviet territory (was there any?). So most of the population will continue to work hard for the victory. Until the end.

Arzamas-16, afaik, would be partially evacuated ASAP. Scientific minds working here were too priceless to lost them. And again, common folk would be hardly influenced - KGB will try to evacuate maybe 1 scientist from every 50 common people.

I could remember smalltalks about classified city Krasnoyarsk-26, now Zheleznogorsk. People were whispering about literally miles of tunnels inside the solid rock, about system of mini-trains: insanely deep buried complex for the production of weapons-grade plutonium. Maybe it would survive the onslaught above.

It seems the proposed timeline will stop with the arrival of the bombs...

Both places were (and, nominally, still are) farced with a lot of military-complex and scientific industries, so, their fate is sealed. But there still would be some relatively safe patches of countryside in Gorkiy province... so maybe not every of my characters will end in ashes.

You've got the point. Both places will be pulverized alike with its counterparts... Dallas and Los Alamos maybe. Gorkiy Water Reservoir dam will surely fall, so there would be flood after the fire. But, still, there is hope for someone like kids who would be sent away to the rural places in the region.

Hi guys, so i've been a lurker on this site for a while now, with a few comments here and there on great timelines. I absolutely love the world created by the entire P&S community and have finally decided that i want to add to it. I'm not the most knowledgeable on technical points so i know any attempt at a grand timeline like some have created would fall flat, so have decided to make a timeline effectively based on my family during the nuclear conflict. I've chosen Portsmouth as it is one of the few areas that i don't think has been heavily looked at yet, and something that has a lot to explore due to the entirely different nature of the apocalypse there. I have the P&S wiki opened in another tab to ensure i keep track of what happens when, and i spent a fair while plotting all UK detonations directly specified onto the NukeMap website so hopefully i will have a good grasp of what the state of the world should be. Please inform me if i make anything happen that already contradicts the universe created, as i don't want to step on any toes. I don't know how long my piece will be, and at this point don't know exactly where it will go, nor when i actually will start writing it.

Title of TL:
To be decided

Setting: Portsmouth area, possibly a look at the Falklands (can't spoil how)

Brief Description: Exploring the experiences of a former Royal Navy engineering officer and his family living in Portsmouth who is drafted in to work post exchange. I'm unsure exactly where it will go but have some good ideas to explore, both pre and post the bombs.

Yours,
Wolf__O

Should I be worried that wolverinethad hasn't posted in a couple of weeks? (IMO, wolverinethad is probably just busy; he has done that before with his other story.)

I did a thread about music and pop culture after the war. I won't post the link because I don't want to find it, it is too old to reply to anyway, and you can find it somewhere. Since that time, I have discovered the genre of Synthwave. And I think that may be a prospect of what music would be 20-30 years hence after an arrested but continuing development.

Anyone seen the series of reviews on nuclear war docudramas, Nuclear Nightmares, done by David Hunt on his YT channel ?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpKJpprRYaFUDjTt6YbxXvnvHxrhU1OR1 - 1st annual series of reviews, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpKJpprRYaFUkRzrKLLd34_M1N0rqSQwB - 2nd annual series of reviews, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpKJpprRYaFVYdn89uEsurkVZ-yx9bKH2 - 3rd annual series of reviews, 2017

I think he's done a good (and at times amusing) job. You might even discover or rediscover a few projects you haven't heard of.

Already, having watched some of the reviews, I'm thinking The Last Flight... TL done by JN1 is like a better version of the bomber crew plot from Dawn's Early Light. That film had interesting ideas, but wasn't the best.

Last edited: