What's your image processing program(me) and file endings?

What's my problem? Well, of course there are basemaps out there you can depend on, but once in a while I like to have or even publish multi-layer cookie cutter versions thereof to make them more handy, be it for contest or what not.

The thing is, could enough people read it that it makes sense to publish them here? Anything done if I get into .psd (Adobe Photoshop) so that anybody who could have interest could read it? Or is it more complicated? Just for info, no, I have the far inferior Ulead (now Corel) PhotoImpact 10 that is old as stone nowadays and by default saves into .ufo that hardly anybody can process nowadays.

If we had a resource for PSD-based maps, I imagine we’d love to see something like that! Really what we could do is have a DeviantArt account for this sort of thing. They allow up and downloads of PSD, I believe.

Though AI maps are better. No, that’s not an opinion. :p

Just for info, I'm just turning a Pacific-centred political world map into PSD and, due to recent events, I was especially considerate about Crimea. Long live the wand!

lone crimea.png

I use Paint.net for most mapping. There is a .PSD plugin, though I find the native .PDN easier to work with. Natively, it has everything and way more you could want for standard basemap-based maps. With plugins you can do animated GIFs and PNGs, which just about completes my personal needs in this area. Since it's also free, I would advocate to make it the mapping 'standard' and post not only compatible basemaps but also threads detailing how to use it's features in mapping contexts.