Yes, you kind of are meant to sympathize at the start to their plight. It's not their fault their allies let them get curbstomped by Canada and burned back to the Stone Age. It's reasonable to feel just as much animosity to lazy allies as to the Canadians that actually invaded them. They just take it wayyyyyy too far in the end. The number one thing I intended this Redux to get across is that the Union starts out with honest hardworking people. Even Burr, for all his nuttiness, isn't an out-and-out racist. He's just a ptsd-wracked shellshocked dude that gets taken seriously.
Their "stab in the back" myth. :p

This chapter was great! The AFC's fleshing out really sheds new light onto how and why the Union went crazy. If I didn't know what they did later on, I would actually root for the poor bastards.

So, now that the Unioners think they're invincible, who's going to stop them from blindly charging into the jaws of death? With so much frenzy, there's no way none of them are thinking "Today is a good day to invade Virginia/Canada/Russia in the winter/etc."

Here's kinda the way I read it, and I'll try and explain via metaphor. It might be horribly contrived, but I'm doing my best here.

Imagine the RU as an underdog high school. They get beaten in sports all the time, their rivals are richer and more successful than they are, and everything is just going badly. The AFC is basically the school's cheerleaders/band/etc, holding a giant ass pep rally to keep people's hopes up for the next big game. Everyone knows they could still lose, but the whole point of the rally is to inspire hope that losing isn't the only option.

Keep up the good work, Napoleon!! :extremelyhappy:

I have read the first version of this TL and this one looks like it will be even better.

Any chance that Japan could have a more active role in this TL?

Last edited:

Md139115

Banned
Great job on the sermon, MD!

Thanks! I think what makes it "work" so well is that it's not out of place at any time in American history. Heck, I can walk into a mega-church tomorrow and start preaching this and people would be invading X country by that evening. Despite that though, reading it over, it seems a lot more tame than I was imagining it in my head. I should probably sharpen the emotion a bit more and cut down on some of the cerebral-ness.

You made this? because this is amazing, great work

Thanks!! It's a very heavily modified of a a stained glass window that's a dual-tribute by both America and Britain.

Thanks! I think what makes it "work" so well is that it's not out of place at any time in American history. Heck, I can walk into a mega-church tomorrow and start preaching this and people would be invading X country by that evening. Despite that though, reading it over, it seems a lot more tame than I was imagining it in my head. I should probably sharpen the emotion a bit more and cut down on some of the cerebral-ness.

Hey, not every sermon would be "INVADE ALL THE BASES," they've gotta have a message. Things that sound happy and Christian, like "what the Lord's love and redemption means to me" and "what freedom means to me." No one would follow the religion if it was "kill all foreigners" every bit of the speech. It's gotta be uplifting, if anything to humanize our main villains of this TL, who aren't even really the RU leadership, but the American People themselves who willingly went down this path believing it to be right. The average citizens are a bunch of downtrodden, forgotten, and depressed poor people who want a better life. By the time the 1900s roll around, the Union will have been completely radicalized into committing glaring atrocities, and any sympathy will likely end, but you'll be able to see why they got to that point and how every generation was more radical than the last. Also, I have considered writing basically after Everett dies that most all of the AFC leadership actually don't really believe in anything, but use the religion as they see it as the way to justify foreign wars, colonization, and a tool to keep the people in line and distract them from the gradual elimination of their true freedoms.

Last edited:
Hey, not every sermon would be "INVADE ALL THE BASES," they've gotta have a message. Things that sound happy and Christian, like "what the Lord's love and redemption means to me" and "what freedom means to me." No one would follow the religion if it was "kill all foreigners" every bit of the speech. It's gotta be uplifting, if anything to humanize our main villains of this TL, who aren't even really the RU leadership, but the American People themselves who willingly went down this path believing it to be right. The average citizens are a bunch of downtrodden, forgotten, and depressed poor people who want a better life. By the time the 1900s roll around, the Union will have been completely radicalized into committing glaring atrocities, and any sympathy will likely end, but you'll be able to see why they got to that point and how every generation was more radical than the last. Also, I have considered writing basically after Everett dies that most all of the AFC leadership actually don't really believe in anything, but use the religion as they see it as the way to justify foreign wars, colonization, and a tool to keep the people in line and distract them from the gradual elimination of their true freedoms.
While I certainly think that the majority of MDP bosses will not really believe in the Church in a literal sense beyond a certain point, I actually find it rather unlikely that the leadership could end up becoming closeted atheists. Even in cults where the cult leader knows that he made the whole thing up, at a certain point even they start buying into their own bullshit. And besides, people like the Reverend Prophet Billy Graham clearly believe in the whole thing. I think it would be interesting if their were a tension between the Church and State.

While I certainly think that the majority of MDP bosses will not really believe in the Church in a literal sense beyond a certain point, I actually find it rather unlikely that the leadership could end up becoming closeted atheists. Even in cults where the cult leader knows that he made the whole thing up, at a certain point even they start buying into their own bullshit. And besides, people like the Reverend Prophet Billy Graham clearly believe in the whole thing. I think it would be interesting if their were a tension between the Church and State.

Oh absolutely! I didn't mean that none of them believe it or that they vocally say they don't believe the church's teachings, but there's probably a lot of Jimmy Swaggarts floating around the AFC. lol The leadership of the AFC will always be pro-Burr and the whole nine yards, but I think it would be interesting to study some characters who either are having moral dilemmas about the whole caboodle or people who simply are in it for the fame and fortune.

This is going to be sweet, I can tell already. Like being able to watch a movie again for the first time. I love the pictures—I didn't realized it until somewhat recently, but a big part of why this timeline always felt so vivid was the pictures. It felt like I could see the horror happening, or at least picture it in my head. As a sidenote, I think this is almost the exact anniversary of when I finished WMiT for the first time, since next week I’m going to the same annual event I went to on the day I finished it. I seek to remind everyone that this timeline actually has itself a wiki that has barely been touched in a very long time. Now might be a good opportunity to turn it to life!

Let me also take this opportunity to paste in something that I wrote about the original WMiT back in March on this thread:

I finished that 170,000 word behemoth of a TL a month or two ago and I loved every bit. By the last third or so it had become like one of those 1970s exploitation film, except with totalitarian dictatorship being turned up to 11 rather than sex or violence. Every single chapter I thought “they can’t possibly make it worse” and they found a way, every single time. I think at the beginning he was trying to legitimately explore the idea of the US being Balkanized, with soomewhat of an edgy tone to it, as shown in the descriptions of Hamilton’s execution and George IV’s insanity. But by the 1930s it had essentially lost all contact with plausibility and rationality, and it was awesome. WMIT was dark, twisted, demented and entertaining as hell. I highly recommend it.

One other thing I want to mention about What Madness is This (I know this isn't the thread for it, but I just wanted to say it) is that the authors did a great job of creating a dark historical doppelganger of the USA. The Republican Union's history mirrors that of America in many ways, but with America's historical good qualities practically nonexistent and its bad qualities cranked way out of proportion. For example, IOTL, when the US did not lose the War of 1812, it led to the country developing a strong, yet mostly benign, sense of patriotism and nationalistic pride. In WMIT, the ATL-War of 1812 (which results in the RU being invaded and overrun) generates a very different national reaction: namely, it gives the RU a nasty revanchist and expansionistic streak that leads it to annex a peaceful and defenseless neighbor just 20 years later for no reason, and it all goes downhill from there.

Another example: When immigrants from Germany and Ireland came to America in the 1840s and 1850s, they were drawn mostly by (somewhat exaggerated) tales of economic opportunity and determining one's own destiny. Typically these immigrants were simply plunged back into poverty, but a large number were still able to find success as farmers or factory foremen. Anti-immigrant sentiment rose in the form of Nativism but never really became a mainstream political force. Whereas in WMIT, agents of the RU are instructed to straight-up lie to potential immigrants in Eastern Europe; when they come to the RU, hoping to find freedom and opportunity, these immigrants are forced, one and all, into slave-like labor and given no rights, because anti-immigrant sentiment and racism have become the institutionalized law.

Now let's move on to Manifest Destiny. IOTL, this was the doctrine that led the U.S. to essentially commit genocide on the Native Americans for the sake of taking over what is now the lower 48--clearly one of the US's most villainous and despicable actions. In WMIT, RU uses manifest destiny as an excuse to take over the entire Western Hemisphere and exterminate the locals concentration camp-style. And one final comparison: ask an American what the best thing about America is, and chances are they'll say freedom--because it's constantly banged into out heads that we're a free country. But no matter its purposes in such nationalistic rhetoric, it's true--America is a free country in the sense of such things as freedom of speech, freedom of enterprise, etc. By the mid-nineteenth century, the Republican Union can't seem to shut up about its own freedom--despite the fact that by that point there is literally no freedom anywhere in the empire.

I'd also like to point out that the original timeline has its own wiki, which almost no one has done anything with in five years. Now might be a good time to restart work on it!

Last edited:
This is going to be sweet, I can tell already. Like being able to watch a movie again for the first time. I love the pictures—I didn't realized it until somewhat recently, but a big part of why this timeline always felt so vivid was the pictures. It felt like I could see the horror happening, or at least picture it in my head. As a sidenote, I think this is almost the exact anniversary of when I finished WMiT for the first time, since next week I’m going to the same annual event I went to on the day I finished it. I seek to remind everyone that this timeline actually has itself a wiki that has barely been touched in a very long time. Now might be a good opportunity to turn it to life!

Let me also take this opportunity to paste in something that I wrote about the original WMiT back in March on this thread:

I'd also like to point out that the original timeline has its own wiki, which almost no one has done anything with in five years. Now might be a good time to restart work on it!

This was a great summary of WMIT you posted! Thank you for your kind words! I agree, most TLs without illustrations seem to be really boring to me (nothing against the really good ones who don't need them of course). Part of the fun is seeing the alternate world. And I'm sure plenty of people have thought this TL implausible, and it is, but it's not outright ASB to me. Since I was 17 I've been writing this trying to craft a unique, totally different, crazy dystopia cranked to the max, but without the supernatural or ASB elements of Fallout, Bioshock, and the like. This Redux will be more believable, but the purpose of the TL was never to be 100% plausible, it's intended to be 100% entertaining, horrifying like a train wreck, and not quite ASB but super-duper just plain fun gritty American horror. I enjoy writing pulpy mostly-"plausible" alternate history. Without the pulp factor, there wouldn't be much entertainment to be had in this TL. It would just be depressing and void of meaning. For instance, if I had a more realistic candidate found the AFC than Burr, such as any nutcase fictional character I could say as being butterflied in, it would be more realistic. Would it be more fun? Absolutely not. For other plot points I feel fictional characters are realistic and necessary. But Burr's connection OTL to Jonathan Edwards was to juicy not to utilize.

Basically I follow the rule of cool, but not outright fabrication. I research for hours before writing anything new. Right now I'm studying the birth of Mormonism to get a better understanding over how a religion like the AFC might function as the "American Religion." The best thing I can say about this is I picture this entire storyline as one flowing Ken Burns documentary playing in my head. I know how I want it to be and what messages I want to convey and how to skirt the very fine line between just depressing (like 1984) to depressing and entertaining (TL191, Fallout, Wild Wild Country, etc). The only thing I care about is fun. If I'm not having fun, the readers aren't having fun. I just want to entertain people and give them something to think about and dissect in their minds. There are so many expys, allegories, references, quotes, and images it would take an eternity going through the Madness Classic just to get them all. The biggest problem of Madness Classic was I didn't convey WHY the US/RU/NUSA hated the Inferiors and its neighbors so much. I'm making that much more plausible this go-round. This TL is the baby of everything I know about history, politics, war, and peace, and Madness Redux will be twice as good as Classic! :D

Also, that Wiki is indeed something I've been on lately planning how to possibly expand it in the future.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, @Napoleon53

Is Willard Crawford real or fictional?

Willard Crawford I believe is fictional if I recall. (Madness is bleeding over into actual history for me for a second lol). However, he was one of the earliest characters I created and he's not nearly as interesting or important as Burr. He was just there to do the job. I considered using an OTL founding father to overthrow the Federalists this time but went with Crawford for old times sake. Obviously some fictional characters are necessary for a good alt-hist to make sense, but if I can use a cool character from OTL who readers would enjoy, I'll go with that.

EDIT: I kind of want to do write-up on Willard Crawford now. Lol Flesh out his character arc.

Last edited:

SuperZtar64

Banned
Willard Crawford I believe is fictional if I recall. (Madness is bleeding over into actual history for me for a second lol). However, he was one of the earliest characters I created and he's not nearly as interesting or important as Burr. He was just there to do the job. I considered using an OTL founding father to overthrow the Federalists this time but went with Crawford for old times sake. Obviously some fictional characters are necessary for a good alt-hist to make sense, but if I can use a cool character from OTL who readers would enjoy, I'll go with that.

EDIT: I kind of want to do write-up on Willard Crawford now. Lol Flesh out his character arc.
The wiki (which I have already begun editing) has some info on his early days, don't know what the source is considering that you made the character lol.

But yeah, I think he could definitely be an interesting character. Knowing more about him would definitely make it more interesting to know what his reaction would be if he saw the 1956 RU :winkytongue:

The wiki (which I have already begun editing) has some info on his early days, don't know what the source is considering that you made the character lol.

But yeah, I think he could definitely be an interesting character. Knowing more about him would definitely make it more interesting to know what his reaction would be if he saw the 1956 RU :winkytongue:

That's fantastic! I bet he would be terrified. I honestly picture him as the Second Coming of Washington. A troubled and flawed hero simply standing for what he honestly believes and who truly loves his country. Man, the opportunity for full-on biographies in WMIT is staggering.

SuperZtar64

Banned
That's fantastic! I bet he would be terrified. I honestly picture him as the Second Coming of Washington. A troubled and flawed hero simply standing for what he honestly believes and who truly loves his country. Man, the opportunity for full-on biographies in WMIT is staggering.
my body Wikia editing skill is ready

John_Adams.png

Roberto has made his first excellent wikibox!