Instead, he turned himself to the growing problems within the Union itself. He viewed the Consular system of government as useless and inefficient. He believed in the Strong Man Theory, a similar theory to Darwin's that had been experiencing equal growth and would later merge into one "Science."

Oh dear lord... I'm horrified yet intrigued by what this "Theory" entails. Will we learn more about it relatively soon?

Unrelated, but two figures I'd really love to learn more about ITTL are Walt Disney and Teddy Roosevelt (especially TR). Disney could be a fantastic "evil media tycoon" type, and TR was already in Classic.

Consider his large stature and his OTL skill at wrestling, that punch to Douglas must have felt like getting socked by a freight train. If John Wilkes Booth attempts anything this time around, he is going to regret it fast.

Wasn’t expecting the office of President to return to America so soon. Any particular reason you decided to bring it back now rather then wait till Steele or Oswald?
Honestly, I kind of prefer it like this. In Classic it seemed like the RU just stood there mostly going through the motions until suddenly Custer came in and most of the expansion of RU's borders happened within a few short years. This way, the RU develops its history as a nation that has a tendency for strongman dictators going back to Lincoln as the original one.

Personally I would've preferred that Abraham Lincoln consolidated power in the Consulate, but not abolish it totally. I found the maintenance of the Consular system cool.

Since the RU is modeled somewhat after the Roman Republic and most educated men have read their Roman and Greek history eventually someone would have embraced the idea of a Dictator.

do you think anyone in the union will point out what they were founded on democracy

A democracy which promptly collapsed into anarchy and despotism, before giving rise to the present situation. Democracy has been discredited quite thoroughly in this TL.

He could've made himself Chief Consul and expanded hus powers

I personally like the idea of the RU losing the Consular system and restoring the Presidency earlier. In Classic, the situation was essentially "the Consuls are do-nothings, and the most powerful leader is Goodyear" (or something along those lines). While Goodyear still has an insane amount of power and wealth ITTL, the introduction of figures like Pierce and Lincoln makes the distribution of power less lopsided than the old TL, something I feel is more realistic. Restoring the old Presidency is something that most citizens could rally around as a "solid step towards restoring the Union." Also, we have no idea what the "Strong Man Theory" is (though I hope we find out soon), but I'm going to guess that it's some crazy combination of American individualism, Social Darwinism, and leader worship. If that line of thinking is prevalent, then there is little to no reason for Lincoln to merely modify the Consulate rather than establish an authoritarian regime. Finally, it establishes a historical trend for strongman leadership in the Union, rather than Custer just storming into Philly like he owns the place after decades of Consular rule.

SuperZtar64

Banned
President Lincoln will restore our Union to its proper place in the world.

Many years ago, a shining flag of stars and stripes once waved over this land of free men... until it was destroyed from within by the forces of treason and greed.

In due time, from the ashes, the American republic shall spread its mighty wings once again and create the new Eden on Earth. The southron rebels shall rejoice as they rejoin their homeland, the savage and outlaw shall bow before the Republic's expansion across the whole of the land, and the foreign imperialist powers of old shall bow before America, in awe and fear of its splendor.

Soon.

Abe is almost like the orignal Julius Caesar, but events and acts mix up so to speak.

OH! And I forgot about this guy. Robert Gould Shaw, the commander of the first all-black regiment, the 54th Massachusetts. Tell me he won't have a place leading a black AFC regiment in freeing blacks from Virginian tyranny.

The RU in a nutshell
j4e2ooajcxxy.png

Yah I don’t think the north will try to integrate the south at all they just do what they did to the Indians in fact they may put the southerns in the factories of the north

Last edited:
Yah I don’t think the north will try to integrate the south at all they just do what they did to the Indians in fact they may put the southerns in the factories of the north
At this point since the southron states are still likely majority WASP, integration would still be ideologically possible. Eventually however they'll become majority Catholic and part-Irish, at which point...