What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

And the love lives of the Kings of the House of Braganza....Not that I can talk lol.
Hey no fair I made a whole TL on that!
I am the son of Indian Immigrants and find that whole period of American History fascinating
Yeah but you're from NZ which is just Britain but better
In South Asia people know and care so little about mustache man they use him as a fucking restaurant
Here we make fun of his hairstyle and compare it to our latest political figures
If you want a USSR analog for the Americans to fight I have no idea why you wouldn’t go with the Imperial Federation.
Led by New Zealand!

I mean thats a pretty broad brush your putting. I am the son of Indian Immigrants and find that whole period of American History fascinating though I suppose it might not have the same popular appeal as Nazi Germany.....and TBH I’d argue the whole fixation on that is mostly a Western European/Anglo-Latin America thing. In South Asia people know and care so little about mustache man they use him as a fucking restaurant mascot to sell fried Chicken and Ice Cream lol

I meant in general. For instance, I'm not British and I'm extremely interested not in British history per se, but in British historiography. I have close to 1,000 books on my library, majority of it history and I'd guess almost 80% are by British authors. I won't assume, however, that's an universal thing.

Outside the US, US Civil War is just a regular civil war. And people not interested in history, never heard of it. Americans tend to think, specially when thinking of AH, that's a popular subject as Nazi Germany worldwide.

I meant in general. For instance, I'm not British and I'm extremely interested not in British history per se, but in British historiography. I have close to 1,000 books on my library, majority of it history and I'd guess almost 80% are by British authors. I won't assume, however, that's an universal thing.

Outside the US, US Civil War is just a regular civil war. And people not interested in history, never heard of it. Americans tend to think, specially when thinking of AH, that's a popular subject as Nazi Germany worldwide.
I would say it's something I see very generally in Americans and not just about their own history. I see it in examples as disparate as alternative history politics (when they assume that all non-Americans know perfectly well who the thousand obscure political figures they mention are) or fandom culture (when they assume that we all know, and care about, the same works as them, as well as that we share their opinions on the matter). That they assume that all non-Americans are passionate about their civil war is not very different from their own assumption that the Spanish Civil War is just whatever Hemingway wrote about in Fiesta.

Back to the CSA thread, over the discussion another trope or bias occurred to me:

I don't think that's the sole factor on CSA's discussions.

The way I see it's more people responding to this underline idea that if we have some White people speaking English, they must become a global powerhouse. Hence we have all those tropes about CSA, after leaving a total war, with 1/3 of its population enslaved, just to turn around to proceed the conquest the whole Latin America. Failure is for others.

That's a very strong idea that goes beyond CSA and go into all sorts of TLs: if there is a community of English-speaking White people, they'll necessarily become the wealthiest and most successful society around.

Last edited:
Back to the CSA thread, over the discussion another trope or bias occurred to me:

That's a very strong idea that goes beyond CSA and go into all sorts of TLs: if there is a community of English-speaking White people, they'll necessarily become the wealthiest and most successful society around it.
I'd say thats where the myth of "Ah if only we were colonized by England" comes from

That's a very strong idea that goes beyond CSA and go into other TLs: if there are a community of White English-speaking people, they'll necessarily become the wealthiest and most successful society around it.
Oh yes, I have seen this, and I would also add that it is always assumed that the second most successful society will be one made up of white people who speak German. Or failing that they will be white people who speak French.

As for the society of white people who speak Russian, what they will get is that 1) They will not be considered "white", 2) The only reason they exist is so that the world powers have someone to kick in the name of " rid the world of an existential threat" (even if they are too busy trying to avoid their fated imploding on themselves), and 3) In reality any success they achieve is irrelevant because they are doomed to failure.

All right, this should be on the least like tropes, but I think this is applied to this thread right here. I honestly don’t like how easily the Russian occupation is portrayed as like Russia is going to be Japan or Germany after World War II because why not? Even though of how fucking big russia really is and maintaining the occupation for years draining a lot of resource from the country who occupying it.

Last edited:
All right, this should be on the least like tropes, but I think this is applied to this thread right here. I honestly don’t like how easily the Russian occupation is portrayed as like Russia is going to be Japan or Germany after World War II because why not? Even though of how fucking big russia really is and maintaining the occupation for years draining a lot of resource from the country who occupying it.
To be fair, that's less a WW2 thing than people viewing Russia like WW1 as in take the easy part and it will crack into bits with minorities/local groups taking over the other parts that are easy to push around, that's a general view of it than actually march into Siberia to enforce terms.

That and also a bit of romanticism regarding wars, as in will always end in total complete victory, the Germans/US will be able to enforce every single one of their terms and occupation will be both entirely peaceful and without major disturbance less a operation were the Germans must crack down on Ivan who's launched a uprising on the Volga river.

As @boredviewer1234 pointed out, the main reason for this is that the authors buy into Hitler's rotten building theory.

Basically it is assumed that all you have to do is deal a few big blows to Russia and sit back and watch it collapse in on itself into a civil war.

This while half the country suddenly decides that they now want to be their own countries and are going to ally themselves with the invader (literally even if the invader's stated goal is to exterminate them).

@B_Munro made an alternate version of Decades of Darkness with a British-French-Italian-Japan-NE-US vs. Germany-Russia alliance where the non-US parts of alliance win and his map had Asia basically entirely colonized except for Japan
IMG_1726.jpeg

His Burr Goes West
IMG_1727.jpeg

Last edited:
@B_Munro made an alternate version of Decades of Darkness with a British-French-Italian-Japan-NE-US vs. Germany-Russia alliance where the non-US parts of alliance win and his map had Asia basically entirely colonized except for Japan
View attachment 897528
His Burr Goes West
View attachment 897530
I also colonized the majority of Asia a few times back in my more prolific map-making period (though said maps were not exactly plausible (if not outright ridiculous in my opinion~_~))

I also colonized the majority of Asia a few times back in my more prolific map-making period (though said maps were not exactly plausible (if not outright ridiculous in my opinion~_~))
True. It seems common in earlier maps. The striped areas indicate joint protectorates in China

Last edited:
Read somewhere that a lot of predominantly Maori Gangs like the Mongrel Mob(Or am I getting somebody mixed up?) have a habit of giving the Hitler Salute presumably just too be edge lords.
Can confirm, the Mongrel Mob use the swastika as their emblem. Asked a former patchee of theirs I used to work with, like, why? And he said they weren't the most well educated bunch; all they really know is that NZ fought the Nazis in WWII, therefore, Nazis= anti-government.

My man what do you have against central asia? :p
Im all seriousness I got curious how the Mega Raj happened in that last one
I'm going to have to get back to you on that one because it has been a decade since I last thought of its premise :p

Edit: yeah I was being an edgelord and was just trying to make a ridiculously ridiculous level of ridiculousness for the Raj XD

Last edited: