What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

octoberman

Banned
Thats the point I am trying to make about how even some very stereotypically western countries wouldn't be considered so if we used Nato membership as our only category. I mean just look at Switzerland!

Zamindars during the Mughal Empire while in some way's hereditary didn't actually own the land. They just had a semi hereditary right to the produce of the Land and whatever their faults actually did live in the local area with the peasants, which is different from the system established by the British, which changed the Zamindar into absentee landlord who had no interest in actually improving the lands he owned.

zamindars in MughalEmpire https://books.google.com/books?id=Y5-vzVq8hdkC&pg=PA269. Still they are practically the same

Honestly, at least within this forum, I feel like many complain about the Eurocentric or Amerocentric Timelines, but whenever someone does write a TL with Africa or Asia, they just ignore it. Without enthusiasm from viewers, a writer won't feel the enthusiasm to continue writing and that's probably why so many old non-Euro/American TLs just fell apart.
This is one of the reasons I kinda lost steam when working on Los Hijos del Pais, even when I tried to include a lot of Western stuff in it as it was. I'll try to reboot it again, but IDK when I'll be able to build it up again.

The British destroyed India's native textile industry by flooding Indian markets with cheap Lancaster cloth, thats just a vertifiable fact.
Adding to that

The Mughals were considered "proto industrial" - aka what historians call having industry before the brits did - being the world's wealthiest empire, even more so than both the Qing Dynasty and Spain after swallowing up the Americas - 25% of the world's economy with a GDP estimates by Angus Maddison to be around 90.5 billion in 1700, about 1/7 of the British Empire at the peak of it's power(including British India) in 1938(683.3 billion)

So saying India had no industries(let alone ALL of the countries colonized by the british) is extremely silly

The British destroyed India's native textile industry by flooding Indian markets with cheap Lancaster cloth, thats just a vertifiable fact.
Handwoven Indian textiles were not able to compete with machine-woven Lancaster cloth. in the late 20th century British textiles got wiped out by competition from the far east. Bangladesh and Pakistan are now major exporter of ready-to-wear textiles to the UK.

Last edited:
Handwoven Indian textiles were not able to compete with machine-woven Lancaster cloth. in the late 20th century British textiles got wiped out by competition from the far east. Bangladesh and Pakistan are now major export of ready-to-wear textiles to the UK.
That is true, but this was in large part due to Britains trade policy that many weavers were driven out of business(Their were no tariffs on British goods leaving the Indian textile industry completely unprotected) which would not have happened if the country hadn't been colonised and definitely screwed over Indias economic growth in the long term(Wearing Indian clothes actually became something of a political statement during the independence movement for precisely that reason). No historian I have read has denied that pretty basic fact.

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
Because this trope did also appear in my timeline when someone mentioned India would been a horrible place for a industrial revolution to start, this are two tings I take a issue at:
  • India is a horrible place to start industrial revolution
  • Rome would inevitable industrializing.
Why this dismissal of India to become the center of steel and coal industrial revolution?
Why is it commonly assumed that a surviving Rome would industrialized?

Last edited:
Usually it's because of Hero's Engine ignoring all of Rome's economic conditions while highlighting anything that could prevent India from industrializing(insert *muh coal quality*) regardless of their economic conditions and own inventions, because a steampunk roman world is seen as cool while an indian one is scoffed at

The Mughals were considered "proto industrial" - aka what historians call having industry before the brits did - being the world's wealthiest empire, even more so than both the Qing Dynasty and Spain after swallowing up the Americas - 25% of the world's economy with a GDP estimates by Angus Maddison to be around 90.5 billion in 1700, about 1/7 of the British Empire at the peak of it's power(including British India) in 1938(683.3 billion)
That's not what proto-industrial means, proto industry is just a synonym for cottage industry. In other words it's farmers using their spare time to produce stuff like textiles.

That is true, but this was in large part due to Britains trade policy that many weavers were driven out of business(Their were no tariffs on British goods leaving the Indian textile industry completely unprotected) which would not have happened if the country hadn't been colonised and definitely screwed over Indias economic growth in the long term(Wearing Indian clothes actually became something of a political statement during the independence movement for precisely that reason). No historian I have read has denied that pretty basic fact.
Tariffs could then be applied to Indian exports like tea, opium, cotton etc.
India also imported coal from Britain from the Indian railway system.

Last edited:
Tariffs could then be applied to Indian export like tea, opium, cotton etc.
India also imported coal from Britain from the Indian railway system.
I mean I thinks its pretty significant that when Tarrifs and how in 1916 when tariffs were raised cotton textiles were left completely alone and this was only because Britain needed to borrow money of the Indian government, and requests to raise tariffs on it were repeteadly denied through the influence of lobbying from British cotton organisations. India also didn't really need Britains coal, today its the second largest producer of it in the world.

Here. I'll be trying to built this up again. Hopefully things go well with this reboot.

Here. I'll be trying to built this up again. Hopefully things go well with this reboot.
Are you replying to something here or is it a misquote?

If it is, whats up with this thread and people commenting here by accident

Sees top two coal producing countries
I'd be hesitant to try and draw conclusions from India's high modern coal production to overall ease of use and extraction. India is ramping up their coal production while most western nations are slowing theirs down. And while Indian coal is relatively good for power plants, generally being low sulphur, the high ash content does render it largely useless for coke production and thus steel making. India today has to import coke because of this problem, which accounts for ~25% of their coal consumption.

I'd be hesitant to try and draw conclusions from India's high modern coal production to overall ease of use and extraction. India is ramping up their coal production while most western nations are slowing theirs down. And while Indian coal is relatively good for power plants, generally being low sulphur, the high ash content does render it largely useless for coke production and thus steel making. India today has to import coke because of this problem, which accounts for ~25% of their coal consumption.
Fair point, but still. Saying India industrialising is completely impossible because of not having enough coal is at least a little presumptous considering Japan was even worse of in terms of natural resources and they industralised well enough(They were the third largest importer of coal after India).