What if the Muslim army won at the battle of Tours in 732

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that was the case I doubt that the muslims would have gotten that far into Europe. Perhaps Europe may have been a Muslim majority continent and Islam would have a few billion more followers by the year 2000

I mean, handwaving how, (maybe Charlie dies from ptomaine poisoning the week before, it was the middle ages after all) you could potentially see a Muslim Aquitania, at least for a while and maybe even a longer term independent Muslim kingdom. But Christian Europe was (even then) not in such a state that a single battle was all that was between it and disintegration.

Losing Constantinople would have a much larger effect on Christendom.

NB - as for it just being a raid, wasn't that the case of Spain also?

Last edited:
successful raids lead towards conquest. funds for raising troops were gathered from successful raids. Also successful raids show a weak state unprepared for battle, ripe for conquest. if tours is a win then France falls just like Spain did.
The Berber revolt could get delayed as plunder keeps the Ummayyad Spanish province running smoothly, no need to tax Berber converts to Islam when you can sack and pillage your way to the Rhine.

Last edited:
You can't compare the Spain and France of those times regarding the Muslim invasions.

The Visigothic Kingdom was a pretty broken state under continued civil wars which was wide open to any foreign invasion that could provide some stability; while the Frankish Kingdom had more stability, more demographic strength with less underpopulated areas...this was not that easy to conquer, excepting the most peripheral areas.

charles dying would have a major impact for europe but not from a mulims conquest rather charlegame is never born

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Please use the Pre-1900 Mic thread for these sorts of WI.

You need to actually start a discussion not just ask a question or issue an AH challenge

BTW: I an about done with y'all throwing these sorts "let's see how close I can get to flamebaiting without getting zorked" thread and generally ignoring various Board policies. Tickling the Dragon's Tail rarely end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.