What existing fiction might look like in alternate timelines

(Not sure if Fandom AH is the right place for this, but I figured it was the best option)

You know, sometimes I wonder what our fiction might've looked like had history taken a different turn. So in this thread, we'll discuss how different timelines might affect our books, plays, movies, TV shows, etc.

For example, in a timeline where South Vietnam and friends won the war, I could believe you'd be more likely to find upbeat movies about it. So Full Metal Jacket might look something like this:

Of course, it probably wouldn't have been a Kubrick movie.

For example, in a timeline where South Vietnam and friends won the war, I could believe you'd be more likely to find upbeat movies about it.
Heh.

EtWkLeb.png

On a related, but regrettably non-graphic note, I've had the outline for an X-Men (cinematic version) fanfic bouncing around in my head for a few years now, which starts cranking down on the Alternate History handle hard at around the late 60s. God knows if I'll ever get around to actually putting it to paper, but it was/is planned on having a couple of little somewhat indulgent diversions, sprinkled throughout as omakes to show off a little worldbuilding.

To give one little hint, Full Metal Jacket was still made, but the ending was apparently a lot closer to the ending of "Jarhead." (Kubrick himself always vigorously denied that there was an anti-mutant message intended in the film...which is easy to believe if you read the source material, Hasford's novel The Short Timers, where it's very clear than Kubrick toned anti-mutant sentiment way the hell down.)

They also ended up producing a Fourth Season of TOS...which largely turns into a complete production disaster, almost burying any chance of future revivals of the franchise.

For example, the pretty acclaimed episode How, Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth, already overbudget and behind schedule from the decision to film partially on-location at the Pyramid of the Sun, made a seeming coup by having mutant actress Sharon Smith follow up her quintuple-role appearance in The T'Kon Weapon appear, partially transmogrified, and with the help of some prosthetics and a few boxes of hair dye, as a "Capellan Power Cat" in an alien menagerie. However, in a amazing, grand howler example of thoughtlessness or inattention at multiple levels, no one at the studio or the network seemed to have cottoned to to the fact that, however appropriate for a "character" that was an animal in a zoo, and concealed by fur, Smith had essentially performed completely naked in the middle of American prime-time television, until after the broadcast.

'Real mess all around. Parents groups, the media, Governor Reagan, the FCC got involved, Congress...'didn't really come to anything serious, officially—contrary to popular belief, the episode was never "banned," but as the 30th anniversary book put it, "even for the heady, daring postwar era, this was a bridge too far," and is generally considered the straw that broke the series' back until the end of the decade.

(Also in the story: Frank Castle shoots Sauron in the face sometime in 1985.)