Warships that survived World War Two and should have been museums!

Going for a really outside the box answer, HMCS St. Eloi. Not a very distinguished career, but the number of RCN vessels to serve in both World Wars can be counted on one hand. She can represent the (severely under preserved) history of the RCN in WWI, home defence measures during WWII, and Toronto's ship building industry. Make her a satellite facility of the Royal Ontario Museum, and park her somewhere in Toronto. Perhaps it can be an additional attraction in Ontario Place or Polson Pier?

Mikasa unlike the texas is land locked meaning they do not have worry about rust destroying the hull the above waterline areas are easy to keep in shape with regular repairs. frankly the texas should have landlocked after its 1988-1990 dry dock period which would have help with its hull issues.

As his daughter was quoted as saying "Daddy hated everyone!"

And one of my favourites

"He is the most even tempered man in the Navy. He is always in a rage"
It was also joked in the navy that King shaved with a blowtorch. Good thing twitter wasn’t around then!

I know it was ultimately a failure but as the last surviving first generation carrier the French Bearn should probably have been preserved.

Would become a shrine for Neo Nazi's wherever it was docked.

Probably the unfortunate truth.

But then again, there is a surviving U-Boat museum in the US (not sure if there are more U-Boats around), is that a popular place for those guys?

However a Heavy Cruiser (especially the one that was in the Denmark Straits) has more of a draw than a submarine.

I think hms rodney should have been preserved i mean the unique shape,the rich history and the fact it took part on the sinking of bismarck wpuld have make it an amazing museum.

But then again, there is a surviving U-Boat museum in the US (not sure if there are more U-Boats around), is that a popular place for those guys?

However a Heavy Cruiser (especially the one that was in the Denmark Straits) has more of a draw than a submarine.

There's a uboat in Birkenhead. It was originally at a historic ships museum along with HMS Plymouth and HMS Onyx but they ran out of money. The two RN ships, so far as I know, ended up being scrapped but the uboat is now down by the ferry terminal.

That uboat is right here in Chicago where I live
I have never heard of such a thing

You don’t have to preserve the ship with the swastika obviously or any nazi memorabilia infant drape everything in a US flag , but would be cool to have such a beautiful warship preserved

also would love to see a Zara class cruiser if any survived

If Japan's conservatives were willing to consider raising Yamato, in theory there's nothing stopping them from raising Nagato, or the German government for Eugen.

I know it was ultimately a failure but as the last surviving first generation carrier the French Bearn should probably have been preserved.
I suppose like that Valiant tank it could be preserved by some sort of maritime design school where students would have to list off everything wrong with her.

BRP Sultan Kudarat, formerly USS PCE-881 in World War II and then RVNS Đống Đa II during the Vietnam War, was the oldest ship in the Philippine Navy in terms of the year it was built (built in 1942 but entered the PN in 1975). After being decommissioned on July 5, 2019, plans are to have her as a museum.
brp-sultan-kudarat.jpg

Honestly I'd be more concerned about the Kancolle and Azur Lane dweebs visiting their waifu...

I am pretty sure they already do with ships that fit the bill (Iowa for Kancolle or Belfast for Azur Lane for example. A bunch of other museums ships are in either game as well)

Last edited: