Vol de la Vendée - A Canadian/ French Revolutionary TL

Prologue
Hello people!
So its been a while since I've actually written a TL rather than just commented on others, so here I go. Honestly this is a bit of an homage to the TL that actually started my interest in Alternate History all the way back in 2011, so here goes.

Taken from The Canada Cycle: New Annotated Edition (Centennial Press, 2004, Hamilton, ON)

In the fields of the Vendée [1],

Lay our fathers to this day,

At Granville, Nantes, and Savenay,

Loyal then, loyal they remain.

We the wanderers did flee,

Aboard ships of the enemy,

To escape the devils of Paris [1],

And start new lives where we’d be free.

In far-off lands where cold winds taunt

In the north and occident,

Each acre laced with snow so clear,

Shall forever be our refuge dear [2].

-La fuite de la Vendée by Marie-Hortense Quiviger

*Translated by John A. Winslow.

1. Note the use of the French pronunciations to preserve most of the original rhyming scheme. This is the product of the close interaction between Anglophones and Francophones in Middle Canada.

2. However, these preservation attempts did not extend to preserve the original rhyming scheme of the last stanza [CCDEEC], rather transforming it into the style more typically seen in English institutions of Middle Canada such as the University of Hamilton, giving us an insight into the literary tension between the English tradition, and the French tradition of Duway University (note the university’s English name was spelled this way after 1812, and did not change back to Douai until 1973)

Last edited:
Looks like French counter-revolutionaries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_the_Vendée) escape to French Canada... intriguing!

And speaking of intriguing...

2. However, these preservation attempts did not extend to preserve the original rhyming scheme of the last stanza [CCDEEC], rather transforming it into the style more typically seen in English institutions of Middle Canada such as the University of Hamilton, giving us an insight into the literary tension between the English tradition, and the French tradition of Duway University (note the university’s English name was spelled this way after 1812, and did not change back to Douai until 1973)

Hm. Hmmm.

As an American citizen, I love the occasional US-screw from time to time on AH.com, and waiting for more, of course...

Ok quick inquiry about the word "vol". I know it translates to English as "flight" (as well as "theft") but I always thought that it meant flight as in flying and not as in fleeing. "Escape" translates to French as "fuite", which I feel would be a more appropriate word (I am a somewhat less-than-fluent French speaker though). I'm just wondering if "la Fuite de la Vendee" would be a better title? Anyone who is a better French speaker than me, please correct me if I am wrong.

Ok quick inquiry about the word "vol". I know it translates to English as "flight" (as well as "theft") but I always thought that it meant flight as in flying and not as in fleeing. "Escape" translates to French as "fuite", which I feel would be a more appropriate word (I am a somewhat less-than-fluent French speaker though). I'm just wondering if "la Fuite de la Vendee" would be a better title? Anyone who is a better French speaker than me, please correct me if I am wrong.

Noted. I am also a less than fluent French speaker (at least when it comes to written poetry) so my Anglicismes creep in
I changed the name of the poem but left the TL because that leaves it open to interpretation :rolleyes:

Bicentennial Reflections
I want to say thank you for the level of response that you guys gave for this TL, so without further ado, I give you part 1 for roastin-ahem-reading!
Enjoy!

The Myth of Granville and its Influence on Canadian History (Dr. Abdoul El-Idrissi, Jāmiʻat al-Qarawīyīn al-Sharif, 1993).

On the eve of the 200th anniversary of the Siege of Granville, scores of Canadian tourists descend on the sleepy Norman port town to celebrate a seminal moment in their history. To Canadians, the siege has been immortalized by authors, poets, politicians, and actors to name a few. To the French, the events that took place at Granville and its environs have until recently, been nothing more than footnote to the turbulent times of the French revolutionary wars. Yet the animosity between the two groups of Francophones would remain long after the First Republic passed away. To understand why Granville has such an impact for some, it is important to understand the context surrounding the Guerre de la Vendée.

In early November of 1793, the counter-revolutionary army of the Vendée was suffering a series of defeats at the hands of the Republican army, and its commander, Henri de la Rochejaquelein had retreated north into Basse-Normandie, with the hopes of linking up with a British and Émigré army at the coast[1]. Over 25,000 soldiers along with nearly 10,000 civilians approach the city, fleeing in the wake of massacres at Nantes and Cholet. Arriving on the twelfth of November[2], they found the city surrounded by Republican defenses. According to most Canadian sources, the Royalist Vendéans were resolved to take the port, managing to take La Rue des Juifs, however contemporary British sources stated that the skirmish on Rue des Juifs did not occur until the combined British and Royalist[3] armies put out the last republican resistance in late November. One officer stated that the Vendéan Army had withdrawn to Saint-Pair sur Mer, some five kilometres away, and some sources even indicate that the Royalists were losing when the British fleet from Jersey began to bombard the port on the Fourteenth.

The arrival of the British fleet and army caught the republican forces flat-footed. Nonetheless, the Republican forces provided stiff resistance. It is apparent in both the British and Canadian sources that the siege lasted a week before the republican surrender. The immediate aftermath of the victory was an immediate morale boost for the rebelling Vendéans and Bretons. However this quickly gave way to panic as General Kléber sacked the countryside in Eastern Brittany, determined to capture the insurgent armies. Thousands of refugees fled north, helping to slow the republican forces' advance. The irony of Kléber's "butchery" was the support it gave the Vendéans; the combined army swelled to 39,000 combatants by January 1794.

A large number of priests had joined the exodus to Granville, most of them on threat of death as a result of republican de-Christianisation. General de Charette of the Vendéan army recorded the fortuitous windfall brought in by some priests from Rennes, who "stripped every book of value from the Law School of the Breton University[4]." Later sources confirm this to be an exaggeration, despite the benefits it gave Laval University in Québec City. Over a four-month period between December 1793 and March 1794, the exodus of Vendéan and Chouan civilians to Granville is estimated to have been between 40,000 and 110,000 people[5]. This could have caused severe famine were it not for the compassionate decision of a ship captain whose name has been lost to time.

In mid-December, a Royal Navy Ship of the Line returning from Granville disembarked at Portsmouth with over 350 French refugees. Browsing through local broadsides and diary entries from the era, this was not a one-time occurrence. The following is an excerpt from the diary of Captain James Wilcoxe:

January 24

We were charged with transporting women and children again. They are a haggard bunch, their clothes threadbare. Most have a haunted look in their sunken eyes, as though they have stared in to the maw of Hell. Some of the damsels gave us their thanks in thick, broken English, unintelligible to all but the loweborn (Sic.) sailors. Two of the young men offered to join our crew, an Antone (Sic.) and a John Bateest (Sic.). Even the rudest of crew members have displayed pity to these wretched suffering peasants. No one is sure who began the practice but at the time of this writing, thousands of Frenchwomen sit idly in Southampton, Poole, and Portsmouth with their broods…

For the people arriving at Granville, this proved to be a lifeline, as many of those who had fled north would proceed onto these ships immediately. As the situation worsened with the defeats of the British and Vendéans at Savenay[6] (December 1793), Vitré and Fougères[7] (January 1794), and Avranches[7] (February 1794), the Royal Navy started to crack down on “ferrying”, finally refusing to take anymore non-combatants in early-March. Some argue that the RN finally stopped because of increased risks to the shipping lanes, as the “Marine de la République” was harassing convoys, which would later result in the Battle of Les Chausey[8] in April. Others argued that the reaction of the English public to the rapid influx of Frenchmen resulted in pressure from Parliament to cease operations. Whatever the true reason, the British and Vendéan forces retreated, losing the briefly captured St. Malo in early March, and finally losing Granville on March 23, 1794.

The effects of the “Norman Campaign” as it was called by the British resulted in the evacuation of a standing army of 45,000[9], over 50,000 civilians in what has been coined “the first refugee crisis in English History.” By 1801, another 110,000 will have made the crossing, fleeing the aftermath of the Grande Massacre and the Harrowing of Picardie, among other tragedies. However, this campaign also shaped the role of British involvement through the rest of the French Revolutionary Wars, and how it dealt with migrants. The decisions taken here would shape early 19th century colonial policy, and in Canadian minds, was the Birth of a Nation…

1. This was the hope in OTL, but alas it didn’t materialize

2. Two days earlier than OTL

3. This is the POD, since the British actually showed up!

4. This is a divergence from OTL, since the rebels and their supporters are emboldened by British support. Note that the law school was the only part of the University located at Rennes, while the rest is under the firm control of the Republicans in Nantes

5. This is also new ITTL, since the Vendéans succeeded, resulting in an escape valve for those who are escaping more severe terror tactics by republicans than OTL

6. OTL

7. ITTL Royalist defeats. Just cause you have Brits on your side, doesn’t mean your going to win :p

8. This is also a change, since there is a sustained British naval presence of the coast of Normandy. Note it ends in a tactical victory for the French. This would later be corrected by the Glorious First of June, like OTL

9. This includes British, Émigré, & Vendéan/Chouan forces.

Sadly, the Royalists would probably still lose, IMO...

Wonder how and where TTL's *Canada develops from here...

I can certainly see Canada being more prepared for the War of 1812 ITTL...

Waiting for more, @Diez Mil Cantos...

Last edited:

Either "vol" or "fuite" can work. It is true that the latter is less ambiguous though.

Ok quick inquiry about the word "vol". I know it translates to English as "flight" (as well as "theft").

That double meaning was employed by a cartoonist in the 1850s.

After Napoleon III confiscated the property of the deposed King Louis Philippe, someone did a cartoon of an eagle flying off with some of the goods in his talons, over a caption "Le premier vol de l'aigle". The newspaper was suppressed.

Ripples for the Republicains
Thank you guys for the interest you're showing in this TL, really appreciate it!

And now for round 2!

MONUMENT COMMEMORATING “LA GRANDE MASSACRE” TO OPEN IN NANTES
Monday, March 5th, 1951

Written by: Émile Xavier de Lorimier

*Translated by Nathaniel Tate for the Hamilton Chronicle[1]

In just a few weeks, the citizens of Nantes will come together in a solemn vigil for their forebears. Last year, [NAME REDACTED] announced the construction of a monument commemorating the victims of the Grande Massacre. This brutal chapter of the Revolutionary Wars left more than three hundred thousand dead in Brittany, Normandy, Poitou, and Vendee between 1794 and 1795[2]. Despite the general ignorance about these events in other parts of France, they were instrumental in the downfall of Robespierre, the end of the Terror, and the rise of the Dantonist Faction following the Floréal Revolte[3]. Yet the effects of this tragedy are still felt today, where the inhabitants of theses western provinces still speak of the affair with sombre airs.

The ceremonies will take place March 17 in the Place de Souvenir[4], directed by [NAME REDACTED], with Maurice Bonnefoy, mayor of Nantes and [NAME REDACTED] of Canada also in attendance. Other monuments will be opened at Cholet and Granville the following week…

1. A newspaper for Hamilton, Ontario ITTL

2. Something similar happened OTL with estimates of 100-400 thousand dead. Here, it is depicted as being more brutal than OTL, has more of an effect on French politics.

3. OTL Danton got executed by Robespierre in April of 1794 during the Terror, with Robespierre himself facing the guillotine after the Thermidor (July-ish) Reaction. TTL, the massacre speeds up the revolt, saving Danton.

4. OTL Square Jean-Baptiste Davais in Nantes.

Taken from an American Junior Year test for a European History Class

4) Explain the causes of the Floréal Revolte and its consequences. (5 Points)

The Floréal Revolte occurred in May of 1794 as a reaction against the extreme violence in France associated with the Terror. The massacres perpetuated by Carrier and Kléber in Western France starting in January were so severe that even the Committee of Public Safety`s moderate members like Danton were disturbed[1]. When reports of the massacres continued after the British and Royalist expulsion, the people of Paris remained uneasy, despite the Republican victory.

Robespierre and his faction were concerned about the situation in the west, so they recalled Carrier and other significant Republican enforcers such as Tallien, and Fouché[2] to Paris for punishment. The Committee or CPS[3] proposed to throw a celebration for victory over the British, and also act as a replacement for Easter[4], despite news of the British invasion of Picardie[5]. This was complicated by the refusal to acknowledge the Deists by the Committee, despite appropriating their religious movement for the celebrations[6].

So, on 20 Germinal (April 9), the CPS threw a festival that emulated a Roman Triumph and an Easter Procession through the streets of Paris. However, as the procession passed the Place de la Révolution[7], there was an assassination attempt on Robespierre, which quickly descended into a chaotic riot. The riots were the worst since the start of the Terror, and it was soon discovered that the Hébertist Party and other influential Deists were leading them, with the hope of inciting an uprising against the CPS[8]. After four days of fighting in Paris’ streets, the uprising was defeated, and harsh reprisals were enacted by Robespierre and his supporters on the Committee. This reprisal was made worse by news that the British had taken Arras and were marching on Amiens. The resulting executions included Hébert[9], Carrier[10], Tallien[11], Alexandre Beauharnais[12] and nearly 300 others.

The brutality was widely criticized by Danton, Desmoulins, and other Indulgents, without much success, and widespread criticism from Robespierre’s faction. Robespierre however also criticized those he viewed as too extreme on the council, such as Jacques Nicolas Billaud-Varenne and Jean-Marie Collot d'Herbois, creating ill will towards himself before withdrawing from the council. On the 30 Germinal (April 19), Robespierre, Couthon, and Saint-Just announced stricter rules for perceived treason, and removed certain barriers around prosecution of these crimes[13]. However, a group of politicians including former Girondins and the Indulgent party of the CPS were actively working in secret to bring an end to the terror. They would be joined by the extreme Montagnards as the fierce debate about the Germinal Laws alienated them from Robespierre. Camille Desmoulins openly criticized the new law in his newspaper, resulting in his arrest on 11 Floréal (April 30), and subsequent execution the next day[14]. This solidified the determination among all the conspirators quick action needed to be taken.

What was different about the Floréal revolte compared to previous uprisings was that it began within the Hall of Liberty as an accusation against the swift execution of Desmoulins by Danton in the middle of Couthon’s speech in favour of the Revised Terror. This lead to an attempted arrest of Danton, before Delacroix launched a tirade against tyranny towards the Robespierre’s clique[15]. This was supported by Billaud-Varenne, and soon the majority of the CPS assembly sided with the Modérés. However, it was after three days of fighting between the Paris Commune lead by Fouché and Barras and the mobs loyal to Robespierre before the Modérés won, leading to imprisonment for Robespierre, Saint-Just, Couthon and several others on 18 Floréal (May 7)[16].

As a result of the revolte, the new government order the development of a new constitution, and for diplomatic and military manoeuvres to expel the British, and to push the advantages the French armies now had in Spain, Luxembourg[17], and Savoy[18]. Danton’s rise to power as head of the new CPS also lead to the formation of a commission on the atrocities perpetrated during the Terror, and temporarily brought peace to the Republican government.

4/5 Max, while I appreciate the detailed description you gave me, if you want to discuss the topic at this level, do so in the essay later this term, not at the expense of the rest of your test. Make sure to next time to explain that the repercussions of the Revolte included the execution of Terror officials like Robespierre, and the Harrowing of Picardie by Kléber.

1. The OTL reprisals against royalists across the country also disturbed the Committee

2. This happened in between February and June 1794 OTL but Paris is more aware of what’s going on due to the temporary British presence. This changes popular opinion and Robespierre’s concern for the state of the Terror outside Paris

3. Committee of Public Safety

4. Something similar was done with the Festival of the Supreme Being in June OTL, but again butterflies mean things change.

5. This is also a result of having extra troops from fighting in Bretagne, including the windfall of Royalist Vendéans

6. TTL’s term for the Cult of the Supreme Being, which has not been official acknowledged yet, ironically lending to its legitimacy down the line

7. Place de la Concorde

8. While an attempted revolt by the Hébertists occurred in March of 94 OTL, ITTL it was delayed by keeping Carrier in place until the British were expelled in late March, meaning that the festival is used as an opportunity for uprising instead

9. Dies a month later than OTL

10. Dies 8 months earlier than OTL

11. Was one of the Thermidorians who brought down Robespierre OTL

12. Empress Josephine’s first husband

13. These laws were also rolled out as a result of an assassination attempt OTL, but on 22 Prairial, 1794

14. Demoulins died in Germinal (early April) OTL with Danton; here he is the sacrificial lamb of the “Thermidorians”

15. Delacroix’s role was similar to that of Tallien against Saint-Just, but the death of Desmoulins is at the forefront of everyone’s’ mind in light of the controversial debate around the TTL “Prairial Laws”

16. Mostly similar to OTL.

17. OTL

18. They’re in a better position ITTL!

Last edited: