Under what conditions could a matriarchal world have emerged?

No matter what climate conditions exist, most civilizations will eventually become patriarchal?
I wouldn't be so deterministic. Tendentially gender-equal (for a given value of the term) civilizations are clearly possibile, since modern society in many places seems to be trending there.
In pre-modern tech conditions, differentiated gender roles are likely to play a bigger part no matter what, but that does not prevent recognizing women as people with inherent dignity equal to men even if they tend to engage in different activities than most men (which is a trend seen even in those modern societies, such as Sweden, where little formal normative expectations about that are in place).
Of course, pre-modern societies were often highly stratified in ways other than gender, so a lot of males, too, were hardly seen as possessing much inherent dignity as well.

Just have humanity remain as primitive as possible. No matriarchal society has ever achieved anything of worth.
1) It is questionable that matriarchal societies even ever existed in the first place.
2) It is probably "something of worth" for half of humanity not to be treated like property or dependents under tutelage (to them at the very least), and I fail to see why this would require remaining "primitive".

I wouldn't be so deterministic. Tendentially gender-equal (for a given value of the term) civilizations are clearly possibile, since modern society in many places seems to be trending there.
In pre-modern tech conditions, differentiated gender roles are likely to play a bigger part no matter what, but that does not prevent recognizing women as people with inherent dignity equal to men even if they tend to engage in different activities than most men (which is a trend seen even in those modern societies, such as Sweden, where little formal normative expectations about that are in place).
Of course, pre-modern societies were often highly stratified in ways other than gender, so a lot of males, too, were hardly seen as possessing much inherent dignity as well.

The flip side is men have less inherent value which is wh people care less about things affecting men such as coronavirus killing more men, Domestic violence against men, sexual assualt of men, workplace injuries, lower life expectenacy, higher suicide rate, experiencing higher rates of violence, war, conscription of male children etc. There is a price to having all the power.

Last edited:
1) It is questionable that matriarchal societies even ever existed in the first place.
2) It is probably "something of worth" for half of humanity not to be treated like property or dependents under tutelage (to them at the very least), and I fail to see why this would require remaining "primitive".

We have different definitions of patriarchy then. My definition is a society where men dominate politics, business and the military. Actually doesn't even have to be men but the male ideals such as individualism, freedom and equality of opportunity are elevated over female ideals of collectivism, security and equality of outcome. Treating half of humanity like shit doesn't go hand in hand with one gender being the drivers of civilization/society. Treating half of humanity like shit just makes you a piece of shit.

The flip side is men have no inherent value which is why nobody cares about coronavirus killing more men, Domestic violence against men, sexual assualt of men, workplace injuries, lower life expectenacy, higher suicide rate, experiencing higher rates of violence, war, conscription of male children etc
It seems to me that of most everybody seems to be caring about coronavirus killing people, I mean, a large portion of the entire planet is enacting an almost unprecedented global lockdown in order to stop the virus from killing more. This seems hardly an example of men's lives being undervalued.
While all the issues you mention exist and deserve consideration, I would not say that there is any society past or present where males, as a gender, are collectively regarded as without inherent value.

It seems to me that of most everybody seems to be caring about coronavirus killing people, I mean, a large portion of the entire planet is enacting an almost unprecedented global lockdown in order to stop the virus from killing more. This seems hardly an example of men's lives being undervalued.
While all the issues you mention exist and deserve consideration, I would not say that there is any society past or present where males, as a gender, are collectively regarded as without inherent value.

Yes people are caring in general. But if women were the predominant victims I think there would be more of a buzz about that. Just think about articles when civilians are killed in war. Women are lumped in with children, teenage boys and civilian males with soldiers.

Well from an evolutionary perpective men are easily replaced. That's a fact.

We have different definitions of patriarchy then. My definition is a society where men dominate politics, business and the military. Actually doesn't even have to be men but the male ideals such as individualism, freedom and equality of opportunity are elevated over female ideals of collectivism, security and equality of outcome. Treating half of humanity like shit doesn't go hand in hand with one gender being the drivers of civilization/society. Treating half of humanity like shit just makes you a piece of shit.
I am completely at loss at the notions of male ideals opposed to female ideals.
Historically, the male gender dominated society in most cases, and this very often translated precisely into treating women like shit. While I agree that this is not a deterministically necessary correlation (and argued as much upthread) the historical record would prove, in your terms, that males across space and times have consistently been huge pieces of shit. Since I do not believe that, I prefer to think that structurally stratified and hierarchical social patterns by gender do tend to lead to people (very often, but certainly not exclusively, women) to be treated as shit, regardless of how well-meaning and benevolent the individual members of the dominant category are.
To clarify with an example not related to gender at all: I think we can easily agree that slavery would suck even if there were a hypothetical society where all slaveowners happen to be paternalistically benevolent.

Yes people are caring in general. But if women were the predominant victims I think there would be more of a buzz about that. Just think about articles when civilians are killed in war. Women are lumped in with children, teenage boys and civilian males with soldiers.

Well from an evolutionary perpective men are easily replaced. That's a fact.

Are you saying in a matriarchy, men would be treated as little better than sperm donors?

I am completely at loss at the notions of male ideals opposed to female ideals.
Historically, the male gender dominated society in most cases, and this very often translated precisely into treating women like shit. While I agree that this is not a deterministically necessary correlation (and argued as much upthread) the historical record would prove, in your terms, that males across space and times have consistently been huge pieces of shit. Since I do not believe that, I prefer to think that structurally stratified and hierarchical social patterns by gender do tend to lead to people (very often, but certainly not exclusively, women) to be treated as shit, regardless of how well-meaning and benevolent the individual members of the dominant category are.
To clarify with an example not related to gender at all: I think we can easily agree that slavery would suck even if there were a hypothetical society where all slaveowners happen to be paternalistically benevolent.

Anytime there is an underclass, the underclass is often mistreated.

So thus would a matriarchy be downright brutal to men?

Anytime there is an underclass, the underclass is often mistreated.

So thus would a matriarchy be downright brutal to men?
It is certainly a distinct possibility, and one that was often speculated about in imaginary matriarchies across history (think of the myth of the Amazons). However, there are interesting counterexamples, such as Aristophanes' comedies (to remain within Ancient Greece) featuring gender role reversals that do not translate into men treated brutally (but don't let me get started on the complicated topic of how to interpret those texts). And there are tons of literary speculation on the topic in countless cultures.
Given how humans in general often behave horribly, a matriarchal society has clearly the potential for creating horrible ways to treat men (not that patriarchal societies ever had a shortage of that). I definitely do not think that women in general possess any inherently better (or worse) moral attitude than men. For all genders, it gets shaped by societal conditions and values.
I think this may be the place to mention @Salvador79 's excellent TL "The Book of the Holy Mountain", an alt-historical, and fascinatingly plausible, attempt to imagine a pre-modern real matriarchy (one that is not downright that horrible to men to be fair, but certainly devalues them as a gender).

Kaze

Banned
Men having babies instead of women or the introduction of "the pill" early. Hear me out on this one - in ancient times pregnancy was a condition near death. For 10 months one could lose the mother at any time, this meant little to no free time for warfare and politics (I know there were exceptions, but let us ignore them for the moment). It is a death waiting to happen. Then the little brat is born. Child care fell on the mother for the next 10 to 16 years. (I know there were exceptions, but let us ignore them for the moment). Effective birth control (the pill) opened up the work force for more women labor in the labor pool.

Down-sides :
1. Men having babies instead of women would put them in the kitchen until effective birth-control is achieved
2. Having effective birth control early - > look at the movements against women in the 1960's-1970's trying to get rid of feminism and the pill as the social-economic problems
3. A lot more pointless wars. Hear me out on this one. Remember that the Trojan War began because the wrong woman won a rigged beauty contest - for further details I will give the basis of the Trojan War -> there was a wedding, everyone and the gods were invited, someone tossed out an apple of gold and said for the most beautiful woman here. The goddess fought among themselves until they appealed to Zeus, Zeus knowing his goose was cooked deferred to someone else - Paris. The goddesses proceeded to bribe condole and influence the verdict. Aphrodite offered up Helen of Sparta's heart -> thus Troy burned because a bunch of woman were too vain.

It is certainly a distinct possibility, and one that was often speculated about in imaginary matriarchies across history (think of the myth of the Amazons). However, there are interesting counterexamples, such as Aristophanes' comedies (to remain within Ancient Greece) featuring gender role reversals that do not translate into men treated brutally (but don't let me get started on the complicated topic of how to interpret those texts). And there are tons of literary speculation on the topic in countless cultures.
Given how humans in general often behave horribly, a matriarchal society has clearly the potential for creating horrible ways to treat men (not that patriarchal societies ever had a shortage of that). I definitely do not think that women in general possess any inherently better (or worse) moral attitude than men. For all genders, it gets shaped by societal conditions and values.
I think this may be the place to mention @Salvador79 's excellent TL "The Book of the Holy Mountain", an alt-historical, and fascinatingly plausible, attempt to imagine a pre-modern real matriarchy (one that is not downright that horrible to men to be fair, but certainly devalues them as a gender).

Elizabeth Bathory and Elena Ceausescu are two examples of women being just as cruel as men.

But what quirk in climate or geography could've led to a woman dominated world?

The true benefactors of patriarchy are a small percentage of men and women. Think of conscription during Vietnam. Rich elite males getting out being conscripted and sending young men to their death while no women were conscripted.

The true benefactors of patriarchy are a small percentage of men and women. Think of conscription during Vietnam. Rich elite males getting out being conscripted and sending young men to their death while no women were conscripted.

Man. That is a pretty profound statement.

Conscription for women if fairly exceptional across space and time, both in war and peace (though I think it is more common as wartime emergency measure). While women routinely serve in modern professional military forces, the only country I know of that systematically conscripts women is Israel - and even there, there are more exemptions for women and it is rarer for them to see frontline service.
I am not sure that this hardly arguable fact can be construed as women benefitting from patriarchy (if got your point correctly) - but we could say that conscription can be described as a usually male-specific form of state oppression (although a lot of people who served as conscripts would probably disagree with such a characterization).