UK taking back Ireland.

celt

Banned
I don't think its very likely,would piss off the Americans too much.
Unless you can get a pro Nazi or even pro communist Eire.

O'Duffys blueshirts might be the way to go.

I don't think its very likely,would piss off the Americans too much.
Unless you can get a pro Nazi or even pro communist Eire.

I agree, though in the inter-war years the US Isolationist and the Irish Catholics are not so much in charge, so 1925-1945 it could happen with out too much issue with the US, other than some bitching for Congressmen from Southern New England and NYC.

Thande

Donor
O'Duffys blueshirts might be the way to go.

But the blueshirts were very pro-British.

Pretty hard to see how this could happen, Britain would know what an ulcer it would be, even a fascist or Communist revolutionary British government would hesitate. Maybe if Ireland itself went Communist and Britain was paranoid in the interwar years?

But in general I tend to think it'd be just like the modern BNP electoral platform of forcing the Irish Republic into an "equal federation" with the UK (i.e. sit there shut up and let us base our military in your ports and dictate your foreign policy).

Some between 1940 and 1945. Plans were drawn up to invade Eire to sieze the three treaty ports during the Second World War. However they were rejected after military intelligence decided it would be more trouble than it was worth. It would result in a hostile population that had been providing some support for Britain in the form of recruits to the British Armed forces and meant the deployment of fighter aircraft to defend towns. However that was the only time that any invasion would have been considered apart from possibly after De Valera came to power and he allowed Ireland to become a base for IRA activities

A re-ignition of the Civil War in 1925 in a manner that gets very, very dirty (perhaps the murder of the comparatively moderate elements of the two sides) and reduces Ireland to a 'failed state' situation worse than Spain in 1939 (perhaps ten years of massive large-scale domestic bombings and murders of scores of young men would achieve that), Britain can occupy it in the 1930s or, post-Emergency, as part of a reincorporation plan that comes into effect under plans set out at Potsdam.