The Soviets start ww2, relation to other post by me

Here's a scenario, tell me if it is plausible,1935-Stalin orders the Red Army to invade Poland.1937-1939-The 2nd Russo-Japanese War, US openly supports Soviets but doesn't get fully involed. Germany fights as a Japanese ally, Russia, despite the purges of Stalin, prevails crushing all opposition. Germany surrenders, Hakkaido is conquered, Japan signs an armistice. 1940-Soviets attack France triggering ww2. More on the way soon.

That's Soviet-wank. The Red Army could barely take Finland in 1939 - what makes you think they could rapidly crush Poland in 1935, much less Germany a couple years later?

May I give you the Shattered World Timeline :)

IMHO however, it's pretty unlikely: unlike Hitler and Napoleon, Stalin was not a compulsive gambler, and he understood full well that if he struck first, everyone else would coalition against him.

Here's a scenario, tell me if it is plausible,1935-Stalin orders the Red Army to invade Poland.1937-1939-The 2nd Russo-Japanese War, US openly supports Soviets but doesn't get fully involed. Germany fights as a Japanese ally, Russia, despite the purges of Stalin, prevails crushing all opposition. Germany surrenders, Hakkaido is conquered, Japan signs an armistice. 1940-Soviets attack France triggering ww2. More on the way soon.

To tell you frankly, NO.

Invading Poland without a cassus belli would just be stupid and would only end in a stalemate. The Soviets weren't prepared to embrace mobilized warfare just yet. There's a lot of Polish outside Poland, too, some of them in influental positions. The world would, pretty soon, descend into WW2 againts the Soviets.

IF the Westerners don't get the fact that the Soviets are expanding in 1935, your 2nd Russo-Japanese war would certainly convince them. No rape of Nanking yet (the Japanese are fighting the Soviets, so China is temporarily given second priority). Why would the US support a regime they actively opposed just decades earlier?

Oh, the Soviets are going to get their asses kicked pretty hard if they tried to invade mainland Japan. If they don't get bogged down in Machuria. The last thing the Soviets need is a German intervention. The Soviet industries weren't sufficiently developed yet to withstand the German onslaught like they did in OTL. How exactly are the Soviets going to fight a two-front war, with Germany having the potential support of the Western Allies? And why is it accelerated too fast? 1940 - Berlin has fallen?

Japan is actually about the only power that the Soviets can take on in the late 1930s, but I doubt they have the logistics to do much beyond score major victories in border battles - Nomohan and Khalkin-Gol spring to mind. They certainly aren't going to conquer Korea or Manchuria, not to mention mainland Japan. Even though the IJA sucked at land warfare, the IJN easily destroys the Soviet Pacific Fleet.

In a word, ASB. That scenario's impossible, a Soviet attack would start the World War in and of itself, even if an early POD establishes a vastly better-than-IOTL Soviet military that could achieve your objectives.

The most implausible part is the US openly supporting a dictatorial aggressor.

Remove this and the USSR has no hope of doing this.

You could have Russia invading Poland in 1939 after all the unpleasantness of the German build up.

Then of course Germany would invade to "help" the poles expel the Russians.
It's just that after the border is stabilised, Her Hitler the great peace maker simply has to keep his army in Poland to maintain calm in the advent of further Russian aggression.:p:p

Hitler wins the 1940 or 41 Noble peace prize.:eek::eek:

As Germany is basking in its glory japan attacks the USA and Germany comes to its rescue and after the war as an act of contrition the USA returns Germany's pacific colonies they were granted to the US after WWI.

This is just as likely a scenario:rolleyes:

Grey Wolf

Donor
Isn't Poland in some sort of alliance bloc with France and ?Rumania in the mid 1930s ?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf