The Sidewalks of New York

including notorious bootlegger Joseph Kennedy

Excuse-y, but Joseph Kennedy was not a bootlegger.

To quote something I wrote for the Kennedyarchy area of myth debunkery

2)Was a bootlegger: False. He was an whiskey importer, but after Prohibition was repealed at which time such activity was legal. During Prohibition, he worked as a broker for Hayden Stone and then as a Wall Street speculator on his own. In the mid-1920's, he bought a chain of movie theatres and went into film production. As he could, and did, make money easily in Hollywood and on Wall Street, why enter such a risky venture as bootlegging? Not to mention with all of those activities, Kennedy would not have had the time.

Awesome last round of installments Hc, Any chance that Pappa Joe might be seeing that Junior marries into the Smith family to bolster his legitmacy? I havent found much on Smith actual family life to see if the ages would match up for their kids.

A Kennedy marrying down? That's a Fitzgerald thing, as you know perfectly well. :p Presumably you know of Joe's less-than-thrilled reaction when Bobby was thinking of marrying a showgirl?

Hearst is like the 1920s version of the Sun in the UK: bombastic headlines with little if any meat on the bones. Or a liberal caricature of FOX. :D

I've only just gotten home and I already miss "jolly ole London". It really is a beautiful place, and I do hope to spend some more time there in retirement (if it ever comes). On the whole I would say that the Conference yielded pleasant results. Along with Britain and France, we agreed to a deal that will stabilize our currencies at a relatively high rate. This won't be popular with the farmers, but any ill will should blow over by midterms if not sooner. I must say that I'm not a great fan of Prime Minister MacDonald. His decision to form the National Government was handled about as poorly as possible, and though it was necessary it practically doomed both himself and his old party for the time being. I don't see either Britain or France being able to stand up to Germany, whose new Chancellor appears to be moving in a whole-heartedly radical direction. I fear that the days of peace in Europe are coming to an end.
-Joe Kennedy's Journal. August 1, 1933
3278402.jpg

It's been made clear to the President that I have no desire to further expand the role of the federal government as either a regulatory monster or welfare state. The United States can't turn into either one, and I'm determined to prevent the likes of Roosevelt and Johnson from trying. It appears that the President's on my side in this case. He's promised to limit the amount of new legislation coming down the pipe and is content in allowing the economy to take it's own course for now. Good talk, but let's see if he can follow through with it. I can tell him today that the Southern bloc is with me, and if it's just his mick allies in the Northeast who stand with big government than he's not going to be able to do much of anything. This is still my party.
-Jack Garner's diary.
IH015220.jpg

It's been a whole year and we finally here that things might be getting better in this country. The President hasn't pushed for much since his "First 100 Days" as the press is starting to call it. This is in part due to his own philosophies; in part due to Raskob and Shouse. They don't want to see too much government in business. I understand that, but at the same time I don't want too much business in government. Whatever the case, those first programs appear to be doing a lot of good at helping those who are out of work and providing some safer ground-rules for the economy when things start picking up again. Most recently, the President and Congress created the Civil Works Administration to provide jobs during the winter. The Speaker was very clear that these jobs had to be temporary so folks couldn't just like off the dole. Nonetheless, it's still a good program to help keep the recovery going, or at least prevent things from getting any worse. We can also take pride in the 21st Amendment going into affect. It certainly defuses that particular issue. I can say Merry Christmas to that!
-Farley's Diary. December 24, 1933.

Hearst'l get a real kick out of seeing us all sitting together at Christmas Mass.
-President Al Smith to Jim Farley and Joe Kennedy. December 25, 1933.

"It is with a deep sense of purpose that I ask you, Congress and the American taxpayer, to provide for an increase in funds for the programs passed last year. We cannot afford to let these important relief efforts stall, for if we do all of the progress made by our economy could be lost."
-President Al Smith in his first State of the Union Address. January 4th, 1934.
state_of_the_union.jpg

It was quite an active year for us, all things considered. Congress passed the Gold Reserve Act in an effort to stabilize the currency and adopt the provisions agreed on by the London Conference last year. It took quite some time for Congress to pass this legislation, but then again Speaker Garner is a stubborn man. This has become all too obvious over the past year, and I wonder how much longer the more liberal members of the Caucus will tolerate him and his conservative ways. It even took the pressure of his close ally, Senator McAdoo of California, to convince him to pass the massive Farm Bill through Congress. This bill gave mortgage assistance to farmers and increased the power of the AAA. After months of infighting the bill was passed in June. He was more agreeable to the creation of the Import-Export Bank and the Corporate Bankruptcy Act, both of which will help the economy. This is Garner's goal, and he cares very little for social welfare. It will be a miracle if we can get the National Housing Act or National Labor Relations Acts passed next Congress with Cactus Jack in charge.
-Farley Diaries. October 14th, 1934.

This year I took the opportunity to see more of the world. Joe Jr.'s at Harvard and Jack's entering his last year at Choate. I fear that he is getting more and more ill each time I see him. Nonetheless, I found the time to go to Mexico and Ireland with Rose. I made several trips to #10 Downing Place by myself. At this point I feel as though I'm the unofficial Ambassador! Mr. MacDonald is going no where, and it appears as though the National Government will have a Conservative in Mr. Stanley Baldwin at it's head following the next elections. I doubt Labour can stand up to them really, even with their new young leader Atlee. Back home things are starting to turn around. The economy is improving and the President is viewed as somewhat of a national hero. For the most part my job is simple: keep the dollar stable as we spend away. Easier said than done, but mostly a job my staff can handle. Every time I come back from "vacation" Jim tells me that I must stay to keep Raskob and Shouse away from Smith's ear. I tell him that clearly the President is doing just fine.
-Joe Kennedy's Diary. October 31st, 1934

We made gains in Congress this year. That's about all the good I can say. President Smith, who I had such high hopes for, continues to jam progressive legislation down the throat of my Congress. He has an insatiable thirst for more government, especially when it comes to welfare. He wants to make a welfare state, something that I have no desire to see in America. That's the first step towards Communism. I fear he'll try to defeat me for the Speakership, but he dosen't have the votes. As long as I'm here I won't let him step all over the Constitution. That's for sure.
-Jack Garner's Diary. November 25th, 1934.

1934 Senate Elections
Democratic Party: 64 (+8)
Republican Party: 32 (-9)
Progressive Party: 1 (+1)
Farmer-Laborer Party: 1
Senate Majority Leader: Joseph Robinson (D-AR)

1934 House Elections
Democratic Party: 311 (+7)
Republican Party: 118 (-12)
Wisconsin Progressive Party: 7 (+7)
Farmer-Laborer Party: 3 (-2)
Speaker of the House: John Nance Garner (D-TX 15)

So Smith hits the cons on the head, eh?

Good for him! They bloody well DESERVE to get some sense clubed into them. Smith won't try what Roosevelt did, will he? That is, he won't try to stuff the Supreme court with justices, I hope. That was a SERIOUS mistake. And I still have not been answered about the Bonus Expeditionary Force, and the fact they're coming back as soon as Congress comes back. Will they get the 1941 bonus before 1936? Will some of them be in the path of the Matecumbe Key hurricane? Please answer.

Excellent TL, buddy! :D I wonder if Huey Long will survive in this TL, and whether that'll cause problems for Smith's (presumptive) re-election bid in 1936.

Good for him! They bloody well DESERVE to get some sense clubed into them. Smith won't try what Roosevelt did, will he? That is, he won't try to stuff the Supreme court with justices, I hope. That was a SERIOUS mistake. And I still have not been answered about the Bonus Expeditionary Force, and the fact they're coming back as soon as Congress comes back. Will they get the 1941 bonus before 1936? Will some of them be in the path of the Matecumbe Key hurricane? Please answer.

Sorry about that. President Smith gets Congress to pass the Bonus Bill in 1934. The main difference between Smith and Roosevelt is that Smith is more pro-business, while also being more supportive of traditionally progressive measures such as pensions. Basically his ideology is that he lifted himself up by his bootstraps and by working hard. He sees any restrictions on people doing well in society as harmful to the American Dream. In a lot of ways he is like Bobby Kennedy.

Once again I'm changing the structure of the TL. It's still going to be "quotes" style, but instead of having contemporary journals and whatnot I'll be going to books written about the period.

Despite making gains in both Houses of Congress in the midterm elections, President Smith was still handcuffed by Speaker Garner and his dictatorial power over Southern and conservative Democrats. Along with Garner were the likes of Carter Glass, Harry Byrd, and Josiah Bailey. They made life routinely difficult for Smith and Senate Majority Leader Joseph Robinson, an arch-liberal who was to the left of Smith. Therefore progress, if there was to be any at all, would be slow and require all of the parliamentary and legislative procedure known to man.
-The Happy Warrior: President Al Smith and the rise of American Progressivism, Robert A. Slayton, 2007

President Al Smith's tenure in office was one of great promise that was routinely held back by John Nance Garner.
-Bernie Sanders

Our proudest accomplishment in 1935 was the passage of Social Security. A pension system for the disabled and elderly, this was one of the rare pieces of progressive legislation passed after the First 100 Days. The Speaker only accepted it due to the enormous amount of pressure placed on him by his constituents, the American people. When President Smith signed it into law you could see how happy it made him. In a year when both the National Housing Act and National Labor Relations Act were blocked by the Speaker and his conservative allies, it was a great relief to finally see something pass through Congress.
-Mr. Democrat: My Life in Politics, James A. Farley, 1952

"With this Act, those who were forced to rely on the kindness of strangers will no longer be hungry, cold, and sick in times of economic distress. This legislation is a step in the right direction towards a more compassionate American society."
-President Al Smith on the signing of the Social Security Act. August 14, 1935.
ssa-1.jpg

The conservatives had slowly but surely regained much of the power that the Depression had cost them. Speaker Garner had effectively blocked much of the progressive legislation that would have stunted the nation's economic recovery. The fact that he was able to hold the administration to only three major pieces of signed legislation (Resettlement Administration, Social Security Act, Banking Act) in 1935 was a major sign of strength, and it showed that Congress was no longer completely controlled by the left.
-John Nance Garner and the Rise of the American Right William Buckley, 1968.

"It appears to me that the President and this Congress are going to need a real kick in the britches to take some real action. Thank goodness we have an election next year."
-Senator Huey Long (D-LA). November 8th, 1935.

This is cool, looking good and looking forward to more. On the FDR-SCOTUS issue, it's sort of funny that in the end he was President long enough to appoint many of his own Justices, so I wonder who Al Smith might choose? :confused:

1936 Presidential Election

The Republican field for 1936 was a whos-who of opponents of President Smith's economic policies. Elderly Congressman James Wadsworth Jr. of New York, Senator Lester Dickinson of Iowa, Governor C. Douglass Buck of Delaware, Senator Frederick Steiwer of Oregon and former Treasury Secretary Ogden Mills all battled for the conservative standard. Few moderates jumped into the race, as they mostly accepted President Smith's policies. This would be a battle of conservatives who hoped that they could mold the party into their own image and possibly defeat the President...Once again, the Republican Party nomination would largely be decided by the primary contests. Unlike the Democrats, the Republicans placed a fair amount of weight on who could prevail in these state-by-state battles. Favorite sons were victorious in California, South Dakota, Ohio, and Illinois. In the remaining national primaries it was generally a regional battle. For instance, Steiwer would take Oregon while Dickinson would take Nebraska. This tended to repeat itself in other states, and no frontrunner clearly emerged. However in the end it was Dickinson, with his large power base in the heavily Republican Midwest that would take the nomination. He would select Oregon Senator Frederick Steiwer as his running-mate to balance the ticket geographically, if not ideologically.
-A Near Death Experience: The Republican Party in the 1936 Elections by Lambert M. Surhone, 2010
LJDickinson.jpg
Fredericksteiwer.jpg

It became very clear from early on in the year that Huey Long had a trick up his sleeve. Many within the Democratic Party feared that he would either launch a messy bid for the Nomination or even worse, launch a third-party challenge. But Long was a clever politician. He knew that he had little chance of winning the nomination, even if his candidacy could generate support among Southerners and Westerners frustrated at President Smith's moderate course of action. He also knew that running as a third party challenger himself would only hurt his reputation among the Democratic Party leadership. Instead he chose to create his own party for this election; the Share Our Wealth Party. Running to the left of the Democrats, this party would not contest Congressional elections, but would endorse candidates it thought were "running on behalf of the people". It would focus it's efforts on the Presidency. At it's first convention in Sioux City, Iowa, the party would nominate North Dakota Senator Burton Wheeler, a Democrat, and Idaho Senator William Borah, a Republican. Both men gratefully accepted the nomination. The party leadership knew well that this ticket was unlikely to take the White House, but the goal was to increase the popularity of the populist left so that it may have a chance to take control of either the Democratic or Republican Parties for the open 1940 Presidential Election. In the words of Father Charles Coughlin "victory is not always at the ballot box. Sometimes it's in the hearts and minds of the people. Eventually that translates into votes, and if you're patient the true voice of the common man will shine through."
Huey Long by T. Harry Williams, 1981
senator-burton-k-wheeler-nazi-propaganda-america-first.jpg
borah.jpg

The major concern of the Democrats and President Smith was not Senator Dickinson but rather Senator Wheeler. The populists had a significant following in both parties and the risks of a split electorate were quite likely. Any hope at an easy reelection depended upon Smith and the Democrats being able to squash the new upstart party. To do so, Treasury Secretary Joseph Kennedy was tasked with generating support for Smith among the urban working class. Kennedy worked with the Democratic Party machines in Boston (where his father had been a ward boss), Chicago, New York, and many other urban centers. In massive events Smith would speak to crowds of working class voters. Praising "the actions of the Democratic Party, which has fully embraced my policies so that we may have prosperity again", Smith also attacked "the demagogues to my left who would have a society where the government tells you what you can make, buy, and do" and "the inept Republican Party which is only interested in going back to the way things were. They say they want normalcy. I say they want more money." Smith's campaign machine was well-oiled by the Raskob-Shousse-Kennedy men; businessmen who saw a benefit to a more progressive government. They recognized that if the Republicans were returned to power, the Democrats would nominate someone like Huey Long in 1940 who would make business in America a thing of the past...Meanwhile, Senator Wheeler and the populists focused their efforts on the West and the South. By winning these states they hoped to deny Smith a majority, while denying the Republicans any success at all.
-The Happy Warrior: President Al Smith and the rise of American Progressivism, Robert A. Slayton, 2007
Al_Smith_1928.jpg

genusmap.php
[/IMG]​
Smith/Reed (D): 53% of the PV, 452 EVs
Wheeler/Borah (SOW):26% of the PV, 67 EVs
Dickinson/Steiwer (R): 20% of the PV, 12 EVs
(In Louisiana, the Wheeler and Borah were listed as the Democratic Party on the ballot)

1936 Senate Elections
Democratic Party: 69 (+5)
Republican Party: 27 (-5)
Progressive Party: 1
Farmer-Laborer: 1
Senate Majority Leader: Pat Harrison (MS)

Massachusetts Senate Election
James Michael Curley (D): 44%
Henry Cabot Lodge (R): 41%
Thomas O'Brien (SOW): 12%
Other: 3%

South Dakota Senate Election
Chandler Gurney (R) 49%
William J. Burlow (D) 48%

1936 House Elections
Democratic Party: 321 (+10)
Republican Party: 105 (-13)
Wisconsin Progressive Party: 8 (+1)
Farmer-Laborer Party: 5 (+2)
Speaker of the House: John Nance Garner (D TX-15)

Ok, so basically I'm running out of ideas and interest for this timeline, so I'm going to wrap it up. But I don't want to leave any of my readers hanging, so I'll do a series of Wikipedia style summaries of the Presidents, starting with Al Smith.

Alfred Emmanuel Smith, Jr. (December 30, 1873 – October 4, 1944) was the 32nd President of the United States and a central figure in world events during the mid-20th century, leading the United States during a time of worldwide economic crisis. The first Catholic President of the United States, he forged a durable coalition that realigned American politics for decades. Smith defeated incumbent Republican Herbert Hoover in November 1932, at the depths of the Great Depression. His combination of optimism and activism contributed to reviving the national spirit and economy.

Starting in his "First Hundred Days" in office, which began March 4, 1933, Smith launched major legislation designed to produce relief (especially government relief for the unemployed and impoverished), recovery (of the economy), and reform (through regulation of Wall Street, banks and transportation). The economy improved rapidly, leading to Smith's landslide reelection in 1936. The bipartisan Conservative Coalition that formed in 1937 prevented his passing oc much new legislation; it abolished many of the relief programs when unemployment practically ended during World War II. Most of the regulations on business were ended about 1975–85, except for the regulation of Wall Street by the Securities and Exchange Commission, which still exists. Along with several smaller programs, major surviving programs include the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which was created in 1933, and Social Security, which Congress passed in 1935.

As World War II loomed after 1938, with the Japanese invasion of China and the aggressions of Nazi Germany, Smith gave strong diplomatic and financial support to China and Britain, while remaining officially neutral. His goal was to make America the "Arsenal of Democracy" which would supply munitions to the Allies. In December 1940, Smith, with Congressional approval, provided Lend-Lease aid to the countries fighting against Nazi Germany with Great Britain.

Smith dominated the American political scene, not only during the eightyears of his presidency, but for decades afterward. He orchestrated the realignment of voters that created the Fifth Party System. Smith's Democratic Coalition united labor unions, big city machines, white ethnics, African Americans and rural white Southerners. Smith's diplomatic impact also resonated on the world stage long after his death, with the United Nations and Lend-Lease as examples of his administration's wide-ranging impact. Smith is consistently rated by scholars as one of the better U.S. Presidents.

Alfred Emmanuel Smith, Jr.
AlfredSmith.png
32nd President of the United States
March 4th, 1933-January 20th, 1941
Vice-President: James A. Reed
Preceded by: Herbert Hoover
Succeeded by: Alben Barkley
42nd Governor of New York
January 1, 1923 – December 31, 1928
Lieutenant: George R. Lunn (1923–1924), Seymour Lowman (1925–1926), Edwin Corning (1926–1928)
Preceded by: Nathan L. Miller
Succeeded by: Franklin D. Roosevelt
January 1, 1919 – December 31, 1920
Lieutenant: Harry C. Walker
Preceded by: Charles S. Whitman
Succeeded by: Nathan L. Miller
Born: December 30, 1873. Manhattan, New York City, New York.
Died: October 4, 1944 (aged 70). New York City, New York.
Resting Place: St. Patrick's Cathedral Cemetery, New York City, New York.
Political Party: Democratic
Spouse(s): Catherine Ann Dunn
Children: Alfred Jr., Emily, Catherine, Arthur, Walter
Religion: Roman Catholic

Ok, so basically I'm running out of ideas and interest for this timeline, so I'm going to wrap it up. But I don't want to leave any of my readers hanging, so I'll do a series of Wikipedia style summaries of the Presidents, starting with Al Smith.
Aww, I liked this. :( Oh well, I'm looking forward to reading these summaries. :D Do you know what your next TL plans are after this?

Aww, I liked this. :( Oh well, I'm looking forward to reading these summaries. :D Do you know what your next TL plans are after this?

Nah not yet. I find that enjoy more recent events more as #1 I know more about them and #2 they typically take less of my free time up.

Alben William Barkley (November 24, 1877 – April 30, 1956) was the 33rd President of the United States (1941–1949). As a member of the United States House of Representatives and Senate, Barkley was a prominent member of the Democratic Party during the 1930s. At the 1940 Democratic National Convention, Barkley was nominated as a compromise candidate when the Convention was divided. Barkley would go on to defeat Ohio Senator Robert Taft in the 1940 Presidential Election.

Barkley was first elected to the House of Representatives in 1912, and served in that body until 1927 while representing Kentucky's 1st Congressional District. Barkley gained local attention by campaigning against coal mining and gambling interests, while gaining national attention by helping to write the Prohibition Impoundments and the Volstead Act. Following his defeat in the 1923 Kentucky Gubernatorial Election, Barkley was elected to the United States Senate in 1926.

While in the Senate, Barkley supported most of the Democratic Party's proposals and took a leadership role in the Party. As the Keynote Speaker at the 1932 and 1936 Democratic National Conventions, Barkley gained national attention. As a close ally of President Smith, he was only narrowly defeated by Mississippi Senator Pat Harrison in 1937 for the position of Majority Leader. At the 1940 Democratic Convention, Barkley was nominated for the Presidency as a compromise candidate. The delegates had been divided between U.S. Postmaster Jim Farley, Senate Majority Leader Pat Harrison, Pennsylvania Senator Joseph Guffey, and Louisiana Senator Huey Long. Barkley was nominated with the support of a coalition of Southern moderates and Northern progressives. In the general election, Barkley benefited from the popularity of President Smith and defeated conservative Ohio Senator Robert Taft in a landslide.

As President, Barkley continued and expanded upon President Smith's policies. The passage of the National Labor Relations Act of 1941 is considered by many historians to be the highpoint of President Barkley's domestic agenda. However it would be foreign policy that would dominate Barkley's Presidency. On December 7, 1941, the Empire of Japan would attack the American fleet at Pearl Harbor. In the aftermath of this attack, President Barkley would call for a declaration of war against both Japan and Nazi Germany. Over the course of the next five years, the United States and it's allies would defeat Germany and Japan. The bloody Invasion of Japan (1945-1946) would bring an end to the war. The use of atomic weapons during the invasion is considered one of the most controversial acts of World War Two.

In 1944, President Barkley was reelected after defeating New York Governor Thomas Dewey by a narrow margin. In his second term, the President's focus was on setting a tone on foreign policy with the Soviet Union and defending his and President Smith's programs from the Conservative Coalition. In both regards Barkley is given much credit. He was able to preserve the progressive domestic legislation passed, and established the Barkley Doctrine to aid any nation threatened by Communism. For his foreign policy achievements, Alben Barkley is highly rated by many Presidential Scholars.

Alben William Barkley
35_Alben_Barkley_3x4.jpg
33rd President of the United States
January 20, 1941-January 20, 1949
Vice-President: Joseph F. Guffney
Preceded by: Alfred E. Smith
Succeeded by: Thomas E. Dewey
United States Senator from Kentucky
March 4, 1927-January 20, 1941
Preceded by: Richard P. Ernst
Succeeded by: John Sherman Cooper
Member of the United States House of Representatives from Kentucky's 1st District
March 4, 1913-March 4, 1927
Preceded by: Ollie M. James
Succeeded by: William Vorris Gregory
Born: November 24, 1877. Graves County, Kentucky
Died: April 30, 1956 (Aged 78). Lexington, Virginia
Political Party: Democratic
Spouse(s): Dorothy Brower Barkley, Jane Hardley Barkley
Children: David, Marian, Lara Louise
Alma Mater: Emory University, University of Virginia School of Law
Religion: Methodist