The Revolutionary Color Scheme!

Pixels of the world, unite! The Revolution is here! We must boldly go where no color scheme has gone before!

newColorScheme.png

Finland and Greece look like Russian puppets. That's how little you've really thought about this.

Well maybe it does serves a purpose where closeness of colours isn't a problem?

By the way, what is the purpose of this colour scheme?
RCS is pretty much about OTL geopolitical representation;aRCS supposedly do good on ancient and medieval maps; TACOS good on ATL, GCS is all about simplicity...

I ask that, really sincerely, what is the point of this ReCS?
Is it only different colours; or maybe it does have a point with being better at showing inner political changes (Revolutionnary)?
Being more fit for ASB or Shared Worlds use (as you are quite active there)?

Tell us more : make us dream! :D

In all seriousness, the purpose of this color scheme was to assign colors to each country that hinted at that country's national flag(s). It is quite difficult, since many flags share the same colors (red, white, and blue being the most common, and yellow and green also being popular.) So, to work around the issue of having to find a slightly different shade of red or blue for every nation, I decided to give every nation two colors - one for the outline and one for the interior. Now, I understand many of the colors I picked may have been poorly chosen - either because of closeness to other colors or because they don't resemble that country's flag - but the central point of this color scheme is 2 colors per country. That's what makes it different.

I appreciate your feedback, and I will continue to revise the color scheme until it seems satisfactory. I am definitely not trying to replace any of the existing color schemes - I am just adding an alternative method. Hopefully, the 2-colors-per-country strategy will give the color scheme more flexibility to show political distinctions - for example, I've always thought Nazi Germany should have a much different color than modern Germany, as they are radically different states. The same applies to apartheid South Africa and modern South Africa. For other countries like the US, where political changes have been more gradual instead of revolutionary, perhaps the color could change subtly over time. This might be too ambitious, but that's the reason I'm trying this new project. I understand that it's unfamiliar, and even if it ends up as a total failure, I still will have enjoyed making it, and learning a bit of history in the process.

So, it's only about changing clearly distinct colours for really similar ones (as you said, flags are hugely similar when it comes to colours), making you unable to really use different shades of colours for different representation, and furthermore preventing you to use outlines as a mapping feature?

It looks really impracticable, and the point of it seems a bit moot (looking more as "change for the sake of change")

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything about "I prefer my own colours thanks you", Beedok does a good job on this.
But "my preferences are just so better that other peoples should use it" when it actually prevents you to use the basic features shared by all colours schemes, something that wouldn't be that problematic if your personal colour scheme proposed a feature other wouldn't have, does seems flawed to be honest.

There's regularly threads about new colour schemes that simply don't make it to be used (eventually even up to the creator themselves) because it doesn't bring anything new, alternative or interesting. Look at the colour scheme list each one provives specific features.
IMHO, if you want your work to be used, you have to not only make it more practical (giving the use of outlines for examples) but as well relevant.

You pointed out that you intended to paint Nazi Germany different from Weimar Germany : why not assing a or different colours to a same country depending on its inner politics? It would be interesting on a macro-historical scale, such as a more "alliance-based" depiction of Cold War rather than country-by-country.

Last edited: